What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

3snowboards

The result of my 20w veg.
Nyc diesel
D14 of flower power
Under 200w for duration of flower

picture.php

noknees

currently trying to have the balls to fill a tent with SIL :biggrin:

i have a new tent to fill up, and that yo-yo rig somebody posted looks almost too good to be true.

anybody care to share some heights or meter readings to go with all the bud shots? :smoke out:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
currently trying to have the balls to fill a tent with SIL :biggrin:

i have a new tent to fill up, and that yo-yo rig somebody posted looks almost too good to be true.

anybody care to share some heights or meter readings to go with all the bud shots? :smoke out:

600 WATTS OF YO..YO.. 1 TO 4 ADAPTERS.

I am finding out the yo's on monofiliment are tricky... they slide because of the weight of 4 bulbs and 1 to 4 socket adapters.

and... 11 watt br 30's arnt as good as 14 watt leds. big difference in size and yield and terps when i am growing lemon og.

now...what do i do with 44 11 watt br 30 1100 lumen 2700 k bulbs without the covers? got um 2 for a buck at a dollar store..

this setup? 22 for leds...10 for yo,yo's 17 for light string...56 bucks free mega crop sample bag sent to me.. reused coco and pots...= 310 grams

picture.php

Last edited:

pothead66

could I do a sog under these things? Should I try a sog or lst em ?
don`t wanna jump head in on this thing. I would really love a sog, but I already bought my SILs (10watters) mixed spectrum .... Can`t afford a HPS in my space, and cfls sound good but too many watts needed

pothead66

Someone here said 15cm from a 9w SIL to top of plants... i won`t have more than 5cm , but I`ll have some ''dark' spots if necessary... don`t wanna run into light stress...
Will ~60w in a L75 x W 27 x H 65 cm box (with sockets mounted on top) be OK in that space?
I was thinking I should go with 80w instead... for a hdsog in 0.7 l pots

I only grew outdoors up until this point. I`m finally living on my own and I dreamed about a micro sog since Dr Bud and Anti posted on these forums. I lurked these forums since 2008 (?) , never really posted that much.. oh well, maybe times will change

Thanks in advance

ps: my profile pic doesn`t show, why?

Last edited:

noknees

Someone here said 15cm from a 9w SIL to top of plants... i won`t have more than 5cm , but I`ll have some ''dark' spots if necessary... don`t wanna run into light stress...
Will ~60w in a L75 x W 27 x H 65 cm box (with sockets mounted on top) be OK in that space?

how ya figure 5 cm?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
5cm or approx 2" from LED chips to the top of your canopy is going to bleach/burn the leaves imo.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
15cm is the minimum I'd leave.

From there depending on strain at flowering time you may get them closer, max 10cm, to fight stretch, while watching how the plant feels/stretch to adjust.

There's no point on putting them too close to the LEDs, no gains to be had; SILs already have good penetration, while being too close to a top will prevent that light to travel down the canopy.

pothead66

how ya figure 5 cm?

Those 5cm from canopy to lights are the only bonus I can get if I mount the sockets on top of the box... from soil to led chips would amount to 45cm in total, I figured I could get away with 35-40cm plantlets...
What about leaving some dark spots/corners for older plantlets, so that they don`t get burned/bleached? Or using 16oz pots and gain another 2 inches of space

Damn .. I think I`m stuck with training fewer plants .. good thing I`l be building another similar box, get a perpetual going somehow..
Man I really liked the idea of a sog.. Oh well...
So do you think 60w will be enough in that space?

Cheers :tiphat:

noknees

Those 5cm from canopy to lights are the only bonus I can get if I mount the sockets on top of the box... from soil to led chips would amount to 45cm in total, I figured I could get away with 35-40cm plantlets...
What about leaving some dark spots/corners for older plantlets, so that they don`t get burned/bleached? Or using 16oz pots and gain another 2 inches of space

Damn .. I think I`m stuck with training fewer plants .. good thing I`l be building another similar box, get a perpetual going somehow..
Man I really liked the idea of a sog.. Oh well...
So do you think 60w will be enough in that space?

Cheers :tiphat:

i think light questions should go to @Blynx.

although it sounds like maybe some combination of shallow (short) pots and horizontal CFL at the end might help, if the plants grow too tall for LED.

Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
I have the 7 way splitter with 14w SILs... Its 98w in basically a 12"x12" fixture... How far would you say I should keep plants away..... Right now I'm keeping them around 12" away... It looks like its pumping out a solid 2'x2' easily.

I'm gonna spread them out, and use individual sockets soon... Just gotta build a frame, and wire everything up but.... Just wondering what my range of distance is right now... I have nothing but 10 week + sativas going so they are a little more picky than indica.... If i had indicas I could just keep it far away as I want and be fine but... What do yall think

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
If you want to achieve an even canopy, in addition to LST you'll need to play with the SILs Color Temp Mix, watts per sq feet and distance to the tops.

Specially with sativas. I'd rather use two 7-way multipliers with a mix of 11-15W max SILs in addition to your existing 17W ones.

This way it will be easy to play with 25-30-40w per sq feet in a 2'x2'.

If you're in veg, 25w per sq feet should do. 12" should be perfect, watch the plants, do they stretch to individual SILs? or grow straight vertically? happy turgent fans? then the distance is perfect.

Once you flip to flower upping watts per sq feet, and lowering the lights gradually to 6" (again, watch how she reacts) will help stopping the stretch.

Again, it depends on the type of SILs you have. High individual LED chip count? You'll be able to hang down the lights closer. Low LED chip count? You'll need to keep the lights higher.

Mixing mid and high cool whites (4000-5000-6500K) 50/50 or so with 2700-3000K in flower seem to help a lot managing stretch, and promoting frost later on.

In veg using 4000-6500K improves stalk and overall "bulking up" rates in an impressive way.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
If you want to achieve an even canopy, in addition to LST you'll need to play with the SILs Color Temp Mix, watts per sq feet and distance to the tops.

Specially with sativas. I'd rather use two 7-way multipliers with a mix of 11-15W max SILs in addition to your existing 17W ones.

This way it will be easy to play with 25-30-40w per sq feet in a 2'x2'.

If you're in veg, 25w per sq feet should do. 12" should be perfect, watch the plants, do they stretch to individual SILs? or grow straight vertically? happy turgent fans? then the distance is perfect.

Once you flip to flower upping watts per sq feet, and lowering the lights gradually to 6" (again, watch how she reacts) will help stopping the stretch.

Again, it depends on the type of SILs you have. High individual LED chip count? You'll be able to hang down the lights closer. Low LED chip count? You'll need to keep the lights higher.

Mixing mid and high cool whites (4000-5000-6500K) 50/50 or so with 2700-3000K in flower seem to help a lot managing stretch, and promoting frost later on.

In veg using 4000-6500K improves stalk and overall "bulking up" rates in an impressive way.

^THIS.

Though I will say you can flower at 20w per sqft with impressive results. That said, I’m switching to 27w per sqft as I’m starting to push em a bit harder.

cannanaut

I was thinking I should go with 80w instead... for a hdsog in 0.7 l pots

I only grew outdoors up until this point. I`m finally living on my own and I dreamed about a micro sog since Dr Bud and Anti posted on these forums. I lurked these forums since 2008 (?) , never really posted that much.. oh well, maybe times will change

Thanks in advance

ps: my profile pic doesn`t show, why?

Hello pothead66! :tiphat:

I have mini grow box of similar dimensions, just a bit smaller(L60,W27,H70).

I am growing SOG from seed (11/13) in small 12oz party cups(0.35L).

Have 78w of SILs in that space. Returns are 1gpw average.

Blessed be :smoke:

picture.php