What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Man soo many strains I wanna try.. Bangi Haze... Panama..Orient Express.. Ethiopian..

Gonna have to settle for a budget order of Early Durban regs, Nemesis fems, and either lemoncello haze or amnesia fast fems......

Then I'll try to figure out the budget for a Ace order..... Looking at a few Panama x Bangi Haze fems, and maybe a pack or 2 Ethiopian regs... Plus the orient express freebies... should be a solid little order... We'll see though.. I might go for a few packs of 1 strain to truly pheno hunt through.... Like Panama, or Orient Express.... or Ethiopian regs...... The orient express would be nice I would get 2 pack of regs, and some orient express fem freebies.... that would be a solid population to play with but... we'll see

Love your work Repuk!!

picture.php

I gotta get a socket, and plug in my 2nd fixture.... This is 98 watts of 2700k ........ 14w x 7.
Gonna order 3 more of these when I get funds... Then the budget seedman order, then the Ace order...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
That's a big bulb, but I don't see any use for it? Maybe in an industrial/warehouse setting where there's already fixtures with E40 sockets. I'd rather just get a HLG65 for less money and higher efficiency.

These lights are actually for warehouses etc, but the normal led lights bulbs are not meant either at the first place to grow plants under.

The HLG 65 is around €109, but i've doubts about the longevity of those Samsung LEDs without any heatsink.
Saw a review on YouTube and the guy measured the temp, but was not really convinced.

trying to get some bulbs to supplement a perpetual where they will be at kind of a high fixed height. Think 20in above canopy. They'll be sitting alongside a 300w LED vipar, so i want to keep them at the same distance as the vipar. About what wattage bulb should i be looking for to penetrate that distance? Something that will match or exceed the vipar penetration.

trying to get some bulbs to supplement a perpetual where they will be at kind of a high fixed height. Think 20in above canopy. They'll be sitting alongside a 300w LED vipar, so i want to keep them at the same distance as the vipar. About what wattage bulb should i be looking for to penetrate that distance? Something that will match or exceed the vipar penetration.

15 or 16w LEDs. 9 15w LEDs will match the vipar in watts and probly blow it away in performance.

ivance

hi,

I have 2x clu048 90cri 3500k, plus one china e27 real 15w grow bulb(from my beginnings :) ) on which i left 8x red 1w leds and change rest with 3w full spectrum leds. This bulb is obv highly under driven, but I use it like sunrise and sunset :), it start on and off 15min before and after cobs, maybe my plant doesn't even see it, ant it doesn't have real purpose lol but it looks cool

Anyway, few day back In one store i accidentally come across on V-tec e27 led bulb, but on these ones it says "samsung chips". it is like 5$, similar to this one

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-bulbs-3/led-bulb---17w-a65-27-200-d-thermoplastic-warm-white-detail.html
btw when I search net for picture, just saw that this brand have already 110lm/wat bulbs, with caps on, so probably without even better, it will take time to arrive in my country but cool in anyways

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-lights/lig...w-e27-olive-lamp-110lm-watt-3000k-detail.html

So I have 2 question

first, does maybe someone knows how efficient are drivers in this kind of bulbs

china small bulb drivers are in range from awful 75% to 85% if u even can trust them...(source alibaba)

meanwells are 90+%

I mean this quality led bulbs draw from wall like they said on package so probably at least 15% less goes for light? I mean even better right , it means that it give even more lumens per real watt, because cobs doesn't add driver wats in their datasheet

I mean if you remove cap, and reduce driver vaste watts then this bulbs are even better than cobs
but there is one thing, i have similar 15w 4000k led, not good for plant in my opinion, because when I start messing with this things, first seedling always turn leaves to 11W osram cfl and never to this one lol, but what I want to say, this bulb was very hot, like 180 degrees, while my cobs with pasive heatsink are around 110

so i'm not sure that lumens per watt on package are achievable in real usage... (it does bright pretty strong though...)

and more important , second thing, does anyone have spectrum graph of some led 2700k led bulb, I'm really interested which and how many reds it have, i'm thinking to buy it and replace china bulb mentioned before

tnx, guys

hi,

I have 2x clu048 90cri 3500k, plus one china e27 real 15w grow bulb(from my beginnings :) ) on which i left 8x red 1w leds and change rest with 3w full spectrum leds. This bulb is obv highly under driven, but I use it like sunrise and sunset :), it start on and off 15min before and after cobs, maybe my plant doesn't even see it, ant it doesn't have real purpose lol but it looks cool

Anyway, few day back In one store i accidentally come across on V-tec e27 led bulb, but on these ones it says "samsung chips". it is like 5$, similar to this one

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-bulbs-3/led-bulb---17w-a65-27-200-d-thermoplastic-warm-white-detail.html
btw when I search net for picture, just saw that this brand have already 110lm/wat bulbs, with caps on, so probably without even better, it will take time to arrive in my country but cool in anyways

https://www.v-tac.eu/led-lights/lig...w-e27-olive-lamp-110lm-watt-3000k-detail.html

So I have 2 question

china small bulb drivers are in range from awful 75% to 85% if u even can trust them...(source alibaba)

meanwells are 90+%

I mean this quality led bulbs draw from wall like they said on package so probably at least 15% less goes for light? I mean even better right , it means that it give even more lumens per real watt, because cobs doesn't add driver wats in their datasheet

I mean if you remove cap, and reduce driver vaste watts then this bulbs are even better than cobs
but there is one thing, i have similar 15w 4000k led, not good for plant in my opinion, because when I start messing with this things, first seedling always turn leaves to 11W osram cfl and never to this one lol, but what I want to say, this bulb was very hot, like 180 degrees, while my cobs with pasive heatsink are around 110

so i'm not sure that lumens per watt on package are achievable in real usage... (it does bright pretty strong though...)

and more important , second thing, does anyone have spectrum graph of some led 2700k led bulb, I'm really interested which and how many reds it have, i'm thinking to buy it and replace china bulb mentioned before

tnx, guys

A picture of ur setup would help. Not sure what u mean by seedlings always turn leaves. I start seedlings out on 18w and I'm getting awesome growth. Lights r at least 12 inches away.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anyone using these conversion LED's for vegging plants to go outside? I'm planning on growing a few plants next year and am wondering if there are any particulars I might need to be aware of. Who's been vegging plants for hardening off and growing outdoor, what setup are you using for vegging and what time frame does it take you to harden off a plant?

15 years of growing and it's all been inside. LOL

(edit: Interesting, the answer seems to be "no" lol)

ivance

A picture of ur setup would help. Not sure what u mean by seedlings always turn leaves. I start seedlings out on 18w and I'm getting awesome growth. Lights r at least 12 inches away.

hey men, you guys really have a lot of knowledge in theory and practice, I have used thread search and found all my answers

it happens that member "shigoga" have already made with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]spectrometer [/FONT]all tests I needed

long story short, china bulb goes in trash

I will maybe add to my 100w cobs one 17W 2700k led bulb, if I do I will look to lowest K, and also bigger CRI, coz sunset have a lot of hard reds, but because my citizens are already CRI 90, any 2700K I think will do

btw, I have only one plant for medical oil, for skin problems so, Im all in quality not quantity

tnx guys, cya, and keep :headbange rocking

blackone

Veteran
hi,

So I have 2 question

meanwells are 90+%

tnx, guys

It could be interesting to hack these with a remote driver. And they could probably run a bit cooler if mounted flat on an L channel vs being inside the plastic housing

Ok so I'm gonna post some pics of my previous girls at week 6 of flower. One which I am unaware of the strain is a really reddish purple on all the buds and the leaves surrounding the buds which I'm thinking is naturally. The other which is some kind of OG strain isn't looking as good but the room temp/humidity/ph is fine. I'm thinking it was getting too much light. Cuz I have 5 lights hanging with one over the indica and 2 a piece on both of my sativas cuz they were 2x as wide but the indica ended growing like straight up and was taller than the others so the left and right side of the plant was getting slammed by light. The buds themselves are looking and smelling great tho and are super tight and super sticky with that pungent OG smell with like a shade of blue or purple on the buds. I'm color blind so it's hard for me to see the difference. So just yesterday I moved my one sativa which is going on week 10 into a different room by herself to finish on 10/14 and I moved my other OG in its place. My other og is much greener and so far showing no signs of toxicity so I'm really gonna try to dial her in to see if I get better/different results. And another thing that I'm trying different with this one is defoliate some the canopy until I get good light penetration to the lower branches and bud sites. I did not do this on the others. The one indica seems to be about about 2 weeks into flower but really I think it's on week 3 cuz I was trying to flower a big bush with only 60w so the buds did not develope as fast as they should have and the plant once again stretched like crazy and grew like straight up but now the stretch should be over and now it's getting about 105 watts and the plant is really responding to it and I notice it really helps penetrate all the way to the bottom branches and bud sites just like I want. Gonna keep a close eye on this one for any signs of light bleaching so I can raise my lights up on it. I probly most definitely will have too cuz tomorrow I'm going to get my other 7 socket splitter that's on the 10 week sativa and put it above her and give the sativa 48hrs and chop. Some of the buds still have plenty of white hairs but this strain is no where as good as my others or the ones to come so really it's just holding up progress and needs to go. The buds are still sweet and skunky and very sticky and I'd say 50% of the leaves have turned yellow. Anyways let me know what yall think and I'll send some more pics tomorrow of the other OG and my juveniles which just got flipped to 12/12 but still no signs of sex. 95% sure 2 of them r females but tomorrow I'm also gonna pull them out to clean them up a little and that's when I'll get a good look. I think today is the 4th night of 12/12.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180820-201016_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180820-201016_Gallery.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20180820-200752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180820-200752_Gallery.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG 7301
    IMG 7301
    49.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20180820-201339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180820-201339_Gallery.jpg