What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odds of ALL males?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Say you pop a 10pack

The probability of the first seed being male is 1/2
The probability of the second seed being male is 1/2
Etc.

Each seed is independent, so the probability of all 10 seed being male is:

1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2

= 1/1024

Pretty rare uh

:)

Edit; Two 10packs in a row being all males 1/1048576 lol
So there's something in his environment that is herming the shit out of them.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I believe higher propagation temps causes more males. The thinking was that being hot meant it was late in the season. Males don't need so long, while being a girl could mean you're too late.

A friend and his buddies were cracking seeds in the fridge. What could grow there was seen it be good females. They were still establishing it as fact but the results were good. Apart from the losses, but they have tons of seeds anyway. This offers some support to the temperature idea.

I once stewed some SB cali-indica at ~32c. Not a girl in the group, but enough herms to make me believe I had some. They grew like Sats with foxtails like I had them on 14 hours. 16 whole weeks later I realised I could of had two out, and so chopped something quite odd tbf.

That Cali-Ind says high temps isn't the only answer, but did see about 7 out of 10 boys and 3 ruined females

yardgrazer

Anybody listen to the Curious About Cannabis podcast from a month or so back where the guest talked about Canna-genetics and sex, and that genetically speaking there are male plants, and there are female/diecious plants? Shifted my entire perspective a bit. Perhaps better to think of environment shifting the population between showing wholly female parts, and diecious parts? Obviously/Hopefully people have been selecting away from female plants that tend to show dieciousness, but still...

As for male/female odds, isn't it best to think of it being roughly 50/50 over 1000s of plants? When you select some small # of seeds it's dumb luck if you get 50% females.

therevverend

Veteran
My impression, one that other grower friends tend to agree with, is that the female/male ratio tends to be closer to 60%. At least higher then 50%. This is probably wrong but it seems like I've been lucky over the years. Some of the same people that agree with the 'higher then 50%' thing also think conditions can cause more males. I don't believe this is true, conditions cause more hermaphrodites but not more males.

My buddy gave his brother a bunch of his leftovers after he'd chosen his best plants. Pre-sexing I mean, he'd chosen the best 20 or 30 plants and given the rest, 10 or so, to his brother. All but one was male. He felt bad about it so the next year he decided to give his brother all feminized starts. The problem was that he got ripped off, weren't really feminized, and they all turned out to be male. Two rough years for his brother. This year he's planning to give him clones, I'm wondering how he's going to screw that up. They'll probably herm..