What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odds of ALL males?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I think there are 2 different sides on how sex can be expressed. I realy think that the genetic part of sex is defined at fertilatio(male female intersex). But there are enviromental factors that also can push sex in a specific direction.
Not sure if the shift only happens in slightly intersex plants but that enviromente can influence the expressed sex is long known. First growbook i read about this was from the 80's imo. Also dubi has stated in some threads that it could happen. Iirc Tom hill haze can show different gender when tested early in veg and later stated by the breeder.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
It's not uncommon for heterogeneous genetics to change their sex based upon environmental influences, similar to how light leaks during flower can cause hermaphrodism.

Light leaks can cause hermaphroditism I agree...

But sex of a plant is predetermined by dna before the seed is sprouted and environmental influences cannot change that.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
In humans, the sex of an egg is NOT predetermined. Even at the time of fertilization.

Sex of an egg is a not the right term imo since an egg is a gamet that only has one half set of genes. And it comes from the mother(XX) so an egg is always female(half). And at fertilation it gets the other half from the sperm(X or Y) and then the sex is determined genetical imo. In humans

TheDarkStorm

I've reverse a male plant before, using CS, but it barely produced pistils, i'm going to have to agree with GMT. I don't think you can define sex before the embryo germinates, as even with PCR you require a small sample for presex testing. But also i'm not going to rule it out ether because i love hearing new methods of gene manipulation.

I didnt know you could reverse a male using cs....I thought cs blocks the female hormone...

TheDarkStorm

So would you advise against using bananas to increase feminization ?

Bananas while ripening give off ethylene gass...so it would block the male hormone...though I wouldn't no how effective it would be as thers no way to guage the dose/amount....I dont think it would work on the actual seed

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I usually use colloidal silver spray that i make homemade, never heard of the banana trick, sounds highly interesting, i'm going to have to look into that

Colloidal silver to feminize? Ive only heard of that used to reverse a female to make fem pollen.

Cvh

Supermod
I've reverse a male plant before, using CS, but it barely produced pistils, i'm going to have to agree with GMT. I don't think you can define sex before the embryo germinates, as even with PCR you require a small sample for presex testing. But also i'm not going to rule it out ether because i love hearing new methods of gene manipulation.

Since when does an Ethylene blocker reverses males to females???
I must have missed that train. Please explain your post.

The common practice to expressing female flowers on a male plant is by using Ethylene, not blocking it.
In theory banana peels could be used because they naturally give off Ethylene. In practice highly concentrated Ethylene products are used.

I'm guessing it hermaphrodized a male plant because pistils were present at inner-nodes, must of been something going on with the hormones, was most definitely a male plant with lots of pollen sacs, it was out of a batch of ruderal himayalan "ditchweed"

Some of the most runt looking plants I've ever cultivated

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You cant reverse a male using CS not possible. You have to use Ethephon growth regulator to do that. You can find in in brands like Florel and use at a rate of 20mL to 1L of water..

What would describe a male plant that produces pollen sacs before pistils? this plant was right next to the one I hit with CS

Tynehead Tom

popped 80 got 37 females
just popped another 24 so will see how they go.

generally i have found that if I pop 20 healthy seeds or more in one go, even of mixed variety, the ratios do even out to roughly 50%. I think over time and numbers, most growers will realize the same..

G

My past reading and experience says that with natural selection and no significant manipulation, the average female plant, pollinated by a male plant, will typically (that was 'typically') give about 2/3 female seeds, and 1/3 male off-spring.

A female flower pollinated by a male 'stress flower' from an otherwise relatively stable female plant, results in 100% female seeds.

Repeated use of self-pollinated male stress flowers on female plants, over and over, crop to crop, can result in more rapid, destructive genetic drift that has you taking what might've been decent genetics, and at what ever pace of procreation, often times turning them into schwag, reduced vitality or value, and more -true- hermaphrodites. (*Watched others do the latter example repeatedly, then be pissed off or skeptical and conspiracy-oriented over my telling them that if they brought me that shit, I probably could no longer move their weed for them).

edit: This has been a sticking point for me for many years now; a male stress flower on a healthy female flower is NOT necessarily of a true hermaphrodite. 'Male stress flowers' are indeed a reaction to environmental stressors of one sort or another, far more likely to be the result of soil contents/nutes (deficiencies OR efficiencies), ph, etc., than small amounts of light leakage. A true hermaphrodite is simply fucked up genetics, and many facilitate growers or worsen the presence with the process mentioned above, involving accelerated genetic drift, among others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts