What's new

Occupy Wall Street: Not on major media but worth watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
the rest of your post is partisan nonsense and will be dismissed as such..

glen beck? :rolleyes:

Yeah man, They could chrome the hitch and still have enough cash to hire hookers to suck the chrome off.

Leave it to dag to expect the other side to lie down in the face of fat cat representatives. Organizing, donating, volunteering - all a part of taking on the beast and their bought legislation.

And I'm not the partisan you suggest. I know lawmakers' records and vote for them accordingly. If my preference isn't yours,

Clipboard0114.jpg

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
We already know you disagree and beyond that you do little more than dump on the subject.

news flash - you don't likey

update at 11 - more of the same

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
let me know when you care to address the meat.

till then keep your floaties on.

moving back to relevant discourse.....

things are heating up in NY and berkley.
article with video. but the photos are the most telling part.
NEW YORK - Demonstrations of Occupy Wall Street protesters popped up from coast to coast Thursday to mark two months since the movement's birth in a lower Manhattan park. Dozens of protesters were arrested by midday near Wall Street in New York, while some protesters were also arrested while marching in the financial district in Los Angeles.

A few hundred demonstrators paraded through lower Manhattan for several hours Thursday morning. CBS News station WCBS-TV reports that at least 75 protesters were arrested as they thronged intersections near the New York Stock Exchange, brokerage houses and banks.

"All day, all week, shut down Wall Street!" the crowd chanted.

43 Photos
"OWS" day of action
View the Full Gallery »

Helmeted officers hauled several protesters to their feet after they sat down in the street to block traffic. Most of the crowd then assembled in Zuccotti Park, from which the protesters' camp was evicted this week.

Occupy Wall Street protesters remove police barricades in Zuccotti Park Nov. 17, 2011, in New York City. (Credit: Getty Images)
As police tried to coral protesters inside the park, many began knocking over barricades and lifting them up over the crowd, WCBS-TV reports. Some even danced on them. There were more rallies planned later in the day.

Special Section: Occupy Wall Street Protests
Two months into "Occupy," has anything changed?
Occupy Berkeley camp raided, torn down

About 500 sympathizers of the Occupy protest marched in downtown Los Angeles. By mid-morning, police arrested about 20 people sitting in an intersection in the financial district. The protesters, chiefly a coalition of labor unions, gathered between the Bank of America tower and Wells Fargo Plaza, chanting "Banks got bailed out, we got sold out."

Protesters in Las Vegas vowed to pitch tents in front of a federal building. In Albany, N.Y., protesters from Buffalo, Rochester and other encampments were coming in by bus to join a demonstration in a downtown park.

Police in Portland, Ore., closed a bridge in preparation for a march there.

A police officer steps on the head of a demonstrator affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement as another assists in arresting him Nov. 17, 2011, in New York. (Credit: AP Photo)
In New York, where dozens are typically arrested in periodic marches since the movement began, police hauled sit-in protesters to their feet, handcuffing them and setting up metal barricades.

"You do not have a parade permit! You are blocking the street!" a police officer told protesters through a bullhorn.

The congestion brought taxis and delivery trucks to a halt. Transit officials said some lower Manhattan bus lines were delayed. Police were allowing Wall Street workers through the barricades, but only after checking their IDs.

Democrats see minefield in Occupy protests

The protest did not delay the opening of the New York Stock Exchange or disrupt business, said Rich Adamonis, a spokesman for the exchange.

The protest marked two months since the Occupy Wall Street Movement sprang to life on Sept. 17 with a failed attempt to pitch a protest camp in front of the New York Stock Exchange. After police kept them out of Wall Street, the protesters pitched a camp in nearby Zuccotti Park, across from the World Trade Center site.

On Tuesday police raided Zuccotti Park and cleared out dozens of tents, tarps and sleeping bags.

"This is a critical moment for the movement given what happened the other night," Paul Knick, 44, a software engineer from Montclair, N.J., said as he marched through the financial district with other protesters on Thursday. "It seems like there's a concerted effort to stop the movement and I'm here to make sure that doesn't happen."

The confrontations in New York followed early-morning arrests in other cities.

In Dallas, police evicted dozens of protesters from their campsite near City Hall citing public safety and hygiene issues. They arrested 18 protesters who refused to leave.

Two protesters were arrested and about 20 tents removed at an encampment on the campus of the University of California, Berkeley.

Organizers in New York said protesters would fan out across Manhattan later on Thursday and head to subways, then gather downtown and march over the Brooklyn bridge.

In Foley Square, which is surrounded by state and federal courthouses, organizers got a permit that would allow them to march and use a microphone.

Passer-by Gene Williams, a 57-year-old bond trader, joked that he was "one of the bad guys" but that he empathized with the demonstrators.

"They have a point in a lot of ways," he said. "The fact of the matter is, there is a schism between the rich and the poor and it's getting wider."

The police department said Thursday it would have scores of officers ready to handle protesters in the subways.

"The protesters are calling for a massive event aimed at disrupting major parts of the city," Deputy Mayor Howard Wolfson said. "We will be prepared for that."

At a protest Wednesday in San Francisco, activists swarmed into a Bank of America branch and tried to set up camp in the lobby. About 100 demonstrators rushed into the bank, chanting "money for schools and education, not for banks and corporations."

Police in riot gear responded and began cuffing the activists one-by-one as other demonstrators surrounded the building, blocking entrances and exits.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57326595/occupy-clashes-on-wall-street-in-day-of-action/

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
We already know you disagree and beyond that you do little more than dump on the subject.
iv'e decided in future dealings to just ignore it when you digress into stupidity.
ill engage your baser self this one last time to point out why ill be dismissing the nonsense.

I: you apparently can't read. if you think my major beef with OWS is i "disagree" with them.

II: your simplistic view of issues is just down right laughable. i disagree with parts of what OWS "represent"(if anything coherent)and agree with other parts.

III:it is a common tactic of the weak minded when confronted with information they either are unable to refute on incapable of understanding to revert to nonsense like the above.

IV: it's not even witty. seriously if it brought a chuckle it might be worth engaging. but it's mostly just "fox bad" "koch bad" "well the right did it first" and "it's not the democrats fault because"
the shtick is trite.

so address the meat or nibble the gristle and you will be engaged or dismissed accordingly.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
let me know when you care to address the meat.

When you stop talking to the hand I'll consider.

Bloomberg Says Occupy Wall Street Is 'Just The Beginning'

First Posted: 11/17/11 01:08 PM ET Updated: 11/17/11 01:45 PM ET

As Occupy Wall Street tried to literally occupy Wall street Thursday morning, the beginning of a 'Day Of Action' that will culminate in an evening rally at Foley Square, Mayor Michael Bloomberg was addressing a room full of the "1 percent."

Bloomberg, who decided to evict protesters in a midnight raid early Tuesday morning, told business leaders assembled for a panel on immigration that he sympathizes with the "99 percent" and that recent protests are a sign of a public understandably worried about the economy.

From The New York Times:
"We're coming to a point where Occupy Wall Street is just the beginning, the Tea Party is just the beginning," [Bloomberg] said. "The public is getting scared. They don't know what to do, and they're going to strike out, and they don't know where." "Occupy Wall Street had this great saying, and they were chanting it: 'We don't know what we want, but we want it now,' " the mayor continued, prompting laughter from the crowd, which included the businessmen Rupert Murdoch and Sanford I. Weill.

"And if you think about it, that tells you what the problem is," he said. "They just know the system isn't working, and they don't want to wait around," he said, for another hollow promise by politicians (the mayor punctuated his remarks with an expletive).
The real quote, according to New York Times reporter Kate Taylor, was that protesters didn't want to "wait around for another bullshit promise."

Bloomberg has previously said that although he supports the protesters' First Amendment rights to assemble, he disagrees with their criticism of the economy, namely the vilification of banks.

And on September 16, the day before the Occupy Wall Street protests began, Bloomberg worried about riots in the United States caused by youth unemployment. "That's what happened in Cairo; that's what happened in Madrid," he said. "You don't want those kinds of riots here."

At a press conference Tuesday morning, he justified evicting protesters from Zuccotti Park by calling the encampment a fire and safety hazard.

Some protesters and local politicians alike objected to the tactics used to evict the protesters. Mayoral hopefuls John Liu and Scott Stringer compared the crackdown, respectively, to the "shock and awe" strategy employed in Iraq and to Tiananmen Square.

Deputy Mayor Howard Wolfson blasted Liu and Stringer, among other mayoral hopefuls, for their rhetoric:
"I was shocked yesterday to see someone who is running for mayor to compare this to Tiananmen where hundreds of people were killed by soldiers- that is an insult to the NYPD and the professionalism that they have demonstrated. I saw someone today compare it to the Iraq War where hundreds of thousands of people were killed, that is an insult to the men and women of the NYPD who carried this out professionally. That kind of rhetoric is so overblown and so outrageous and so indicative of people who are not squaring up with...the central question which was whether or not we we're going to allow a dangerous situation to continue."​
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...upy-wal_n_1099652.html?ref=occupy-wall-street

At least Mikey understands he may have to face protesters - even if he doesn't agree that some of his brethren are buying their interests at the expense of the public.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
article makes bloom look brilliant...
We're coming to a point where Occupy Wall Street is just the beginning, the Tea Party is just the beginning," [Bloomberg] said. "The public is getting scared. They don't know what to do, and they're going to strike out, and they don't know where." "Occupy Wall Street had this great saying, and they were chanting it: 'We don't know what we want, but we want it now,' " the mayor continued, prompting laughter from the crowd, which included the businessmen Rupert Murdoch and Sanford I. Weill.
"And if you think about it, that tells you what the problem is," he said. "They just know the system isn't working, and they don't want to wait around,"
nail on the head.
now is the time for them to form a cohesive message and gain more momentum.

a surprise from the huff.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
What do expect from a billionaire who changed his stripes to spots to green?

I don't blame the protesters for not having a cohesive message. The top has bought and sequestered so many aspects of the economy, there's too much to list on a protest sign.

There are folks who succinctly state their anger and the next guy beside them might have different angers. And then we have those who might not express their anger in ways that those in disagreement understand and accept.

Mikey's just lumping the entirety of OWS into, don't-know-what-they-want when it's much closer to Mikey-doesn't-agree with closing the revolving door between DC and special interests and ending unlimited political contributions.

And IMO, he's being especially disingenuous to the Tea Party because at least they have a clear message, cutting spending. How Mikey equates that to ignorance is beyond me. Maybe he's insinuating the Tea Party should be leading but they weren't elected to fix the problems in Washington. That's up to the folks they sent to DC.

Bloomy has an argument that lawmakers appear to be ignorant - but he doesn't take it. Expecting protesters to articulate to his liking is ignoring everything around him. He wouldn't be a multi-billionaire (and possibly mayor) had it not been for the last 30 years of policies for the top.

The protesters don't ask for billions and they're largely not running for elective office. But far and away they know their relative opportunity is evaporating and folks like Mikey are detached.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He's right. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Most everyone is still dancing around and rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Going to be quite the site when everyone realizes the ship is sinking and all the lifeboats have been taken by the few.

Not only are they detached. They are laughing at the electorate they have robbed.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
He's right. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Most everyone is still dancing around and rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Going to be quite the site when everyone realizes the ship is sinking and all the lifeboats have been taken by the few.

Not only are they detached. They are laughing at the electorate they have robbed.

I can only speak for myself, I'm past the reactionary stage. I'm at the point of turning deaf ear to the Bloombergs who blame scapegoats and slap their cronies backs.

If we can ween lawmakers from unlimited cash and their own ethical/illegal misconduct, Washington might better turn a deaf ear to scapegoating and legislate necessary reforms.

IMO, history will reflect HW Bush as detached for not knowing the price of bread. But he won't be seen as greedy, even if he's got more money than half the country.

It's the folks who recognized the political divisions in the country and co opted divide-and-conquer to fluff the guff and buy time to plunder. History will show these folks indeed encompassed true greed, hypocrisy (and the iceing on the cake) back-slapping their cronies in private.

Last edited:

Dudesome

Veteran
Disco! You have no life dude :D You live and breath with this thread!

Do you have dreams about it too, man? :D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
No, I dream of you, Dudesome. You're in a silk smoker's jacket, a lovely lady on each knee, determining the next potential gain for your personal salary, shareholders, employees, customers and the public at-large. I just dream you balance perspective, especially if you're big enough buy others' opportunity away from them.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can only speak for myself, I'm past the reactionary stage. I'm at the point of turning deaf ear to the Bloombergs who blame scapegoats and slap their cronies backs.
I hear you. It's the whole lot of them.
If we can ween lawmakers from unlimited cash and their own ethical/illegal misconduct, Washington might better turn a deaf ear to scapegoating and legislate necessary reforms.
Hard to ween them from unlimited money when monetary policies incentivize them to spend unlimited fiat monies. The well is too poisoned at this point IMO.

Looks to me like they'd rather OD on the debt than try and go through the withdrawals.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I agree. If I may analogize, you see me as wanting to repair the roof while ignoring the rotten foundation. Fair assessment. But the rotten foundation has gone topless for the last 3 decades plus.

While I'm not in favor of going back to 1912, I would like to put the roof back on. We've weathered enough trickle down and it turned out to be doodie.:)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Comes a time the only cure for a building is 5 gallons of gas and a match.

It's what happens when the landlord (us) doesn't pay much attention to how scummy and party-animal the tenants have become.

Compare the job description and tactics of the KGB and DHS sometime.....

Stay Safe! :D

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Last night there were reports that somewhere between 10,000 and 30,000 OWS protestors marched.

And you thought it was winding down. Big Bill O said that it was already over. Oops!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yep. Every time leo breaks bad the protest either gets bigger, receives more attention or both.

Crowd hit with pepper spray, more news coverage.

700 arrested at Brooklyn Bridge standoff, more protesters and more news coverage follow.

Protesters evicted. Tens of thousands more protesters march on Wall Street, Manhattan and Times Square, rather than hundreds occupying a tiny, private park.

Maybe Billo should be the spokesperson.

The Ford Theater bookstore banned Billo's Lincoln-assassination novel - too full of inaccuracies. I guess he has to rag on protesters so folks don't rag on him.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Do you all think the anarchist will provoke the pigs into beating them like dogs. It won't take much. And before you know it a republican president and congress like in '68. Worst case of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.