What's new

Occupy Wall Street: Not on major media but worth watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
OccupyWallStreet: There's a big fucking hole in the boat! Spread the word!

ok we get it.
the economy sucks(there is a whole in the boat)

now what?
pitch a tent and say it again?
defend some of the responsible parties while blame the other half?

or work toward plugging the fucking hole?

notice our resident DNC cheergirl talking 'bout everything but solutions?

we could go on with analogies about boats and what OWS is or is not doing or we could discuss solutions.

what do you think would help to end the disparity at the heart of the OWS movement?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
the OWS protesters had an opportunity to be the latter but chose to be one of the former.

[sarcasm font]I'm with you! If they can't completely overhaul a system that has been assembling for thousands of years in two months, they need to STFU![/sarcasm font]

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
ok we get it.
the economy sucks(there is a whole in the boat)

Wrong. OWS has to regroup because they were evicted. There's a hole in 'their' boat.

what do you think would help to end the disparity at the heart of the OWS movement?
IMO, it would behoove dude to avoid engaging your troll sessions -

now what?
pitch a tent and say it again?
defend some of the responsible parties while blame the other half?

or work toward plugging the fucking hole?

notice our resident DNC cheergirl talking 'bout everything but solutions?

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
[sarcasm font]I'm with you! If they can't completely overhaul a system that has been assembling for thousands of years in two months, they need to STFU![/sarcasm font]

i think you miss my point...
with the rapid growth nationally and internationally they had/have(if they can regroup)the numbers to begin to grow exponentially and exert real influence. the problem to the average american (of whom they are made up of) is they see OWS as exactly what some here have characterized them as(aimless hippies) while the stereotype is not true without some effort at defining a solution they became more of a sideshow than a force.

i think had there been some effort to address a few key points with suggestions(demands would be the wrong word maybe)they could have actually made some strides.

DB:IMO, it would behoove dude to avoid engaging your troll sessions -

yes becuse talking about solutions is "trolling" s opposed to nonsense about wipes,cups,socks and ankles

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
i think had there been some effort to address a few key points with suggestions(demands would be the wrong word maybe)they could have actually made some strides.

I didn't miss your point. I just think that two months into a brand new idea is a little early to be calling it.

I've been to several Occupy assemblies and marches.

There *ARE* stupid, annoying, dirty hippies there. There are IMBECILES there who are whining about bullshit. And guess what? The media is looking for something sensational. And they're also (by and large) looking to END the movement, to RIDICULE the movement because our media have stopped functioning as checks against the system and have been bought and paid for and are now completely OWNED by the system!

OF COURSE they're going to swing the camera around to catch the naked hippie girls and the homeless guys and the idiots with no idea what they're saying.

I recommend you GET INVOLVED with OWS and sign up to speak at the general assembly (anyone can) and voice your concerns to OWS yourself!

Maybe you'll be the charismatic firebrand everybody's been waiting for and you can save us!

Or at least come to understand that there are plenty of "normal" Americans involved in this. People from 8 to 80. (Though I think the participation of most of the 8 year olds is parentally-motivated, to be fair.)

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
i said they are average americans...
it's not about a courageous firebrand or even a figurehead.

im talking about understanding our ADD society and working to get the ideas for reform across before your entire movement is relegated to the back burner...

the window is limited and wasting time in this day and age of 24 hour sensationalism media leads to nothing.

my point is not "to be calling it"
my point was 2 months into a brand new idea you better damn well have an idea.

G

greenmatter

Oh, I see....you guys think the protesters are freeloaders asking for a handout. Your government is composed of freeloaders, getting rich and richer (see congressional insider stock trading, practiced across the board, for one example among way too many). Do you disagree?

Why can't this movement be about stopping massive injustice, trying to keep it from becoming (more) institutionalized? Does your position in life make this too hard to accept?

i only defined the term freeloader ....... i don't see every protester as a freeloader at all. but just like in every other large group of people they ARE there. i don't blame every single stock broker or banker for the collapse either, but i realize that there are plenty of freeloaders in that very large group too.

the fact that i won't completely embrace the OWS movement does not mean i am against it. we have a huge clusterfuck going on all around us, and as usual we are gonna argue about how, what and why before any progress is made .......... i wonder how we got here

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
my point was 2 months into a brand new idea you better damn well have an idea.

Did the United States as we know it today come to exist within 2 months? No.

Was the housing bubble artificially inflated, rigged and ultimately imploded in 2 months? No.

Has the political influence of corporate interest occured in only 2 months? No.

Propose your ideas for change. And then what? Now you have to WORK to convince the rest of us that your ideas are the right ones. Except there are MILLIONS of us. And we don't all see things the way you do. In a TRUE democracy, you won't get change that "the 99%" can agree to overnight. Simply isn't going to happen.

You demanding it be otherwise is not bringing about the change you say is vital. So now what?

Try, try again.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
State Supreme Court just barred protesters from Zuccotti Park.

OCCUPY WALL STREET' PROTESTERS BARRED FROM PARK, JUDGE RULES
OCCUPY WALL STREET' PROTESTERS RESTRAINING ORDER DENIED
NEW YORK JUDGE RULES AFTER POLICE FORCIBLY REMOVED PROTESTERS

The iD

and to wit:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

when the Bill of Rights comes due, it will be paid in blood, as always. stay frosty,

-iD

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Did the United States as we know it today come to exist within 2 months? No.

Was the housing bubble artificially inflated, rigged and ultimately imploded in 2 months? No.

Has the political influence of corporate interest occured in only 2 months? No.

Propose your ideas for change. And then what? Now you have to WORK to convince the rest of us that your ideas are the right ones. Except there are MILLIONS of us. And we don't all see things the way you do. In a TRUE democracy, you won't get change that "the 99%" can agree to overnight. Simply isn't going to happen.

You demanding it be otherwise is not bringing about the change you say is vital. So now what?

Try, try again.
do you not think change is vital?
is the status quo good?
either im not expressing or your not understanding...

im not saying they should have the entire system fixed by now.
im not even saying they should have all the solutions...
just something other than nothing.
the biggest issue my local OWS seems to be able to tackle is where to cook....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Dagnabit said:
now for solutions?
make it known there will be no bailouts.
reestablish the firewall.
tougher lending standards including credit,employment and down payment standards.
original lenders must retain paper for at least 5 years.
tax incentives for every year a lender holds paper.
eliminate corporate and personal income taxes and replace with a prebated consumption tax.

LOL Man that's F'n rich. :) Talk about getting twitterpated about the pin striping on the car.... after it's already gone off the cliff. :D

Some people just won't believe it until the final explosion.

Stay Safe! :D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
F&F are still sucking @ the tax payers' tit. uh, that is a tit...right? Fannie Mae Needs $7.8 Billion Because It Lost Its Fanny Betting On Derivatives

-iD

Ever consider the fact it's a loan? Your link doesn't disclose this.

I just saw Joe Walsh on the tube ranting at constituents and blaming the housing bust on the idea that government is involved in housing. Twenty minute rant and not a single fact to back any of his rhetoric. The guy spoke in sentence fragments. It's was hilarious.

Fannie and Freddy...

Dod Frank...

Community Reinvestment Act...
:hotbounce

and not a single connection of substance to any of the sounds bites. That's why they call em bites, there ain't no more. Like a bible-thumping preacher who NEVER opens his book.:)

Walsh isn't interested in facts but here's a few to consider.

For decades, banks traditionally red-lined whole neighborhoods and communities. These folks didn't get loans because of where they lived or did business. Communities began to rot.

CSA doesn't mandate loans to deadbeats, it says banks and lenders can't red-line neighborhoods and or communities. If a qualified applicant wants a loan in a red-line area, they can't be refused because of geography. It's an outright lie to suggest that CSA mandates selling loans to deadbeats. Qualified never changed. Banks and lenders just stopped qualifying i.e. due diligence.

Traditionally, banks and lenders don't solicit loans. Folks walk in off the street. That all changed. Greenspan lowered rates and kept them near zero so the bond market tanked. Most of that global capital went into mortgage securities. There was far more money to invest in securities than loans to process. So banks and lenders began to solicit loans directly, approving anybody with a pulse.

So, two great things that taste great together [come] together for the first time. Banks and lenders have more money to lend than folks to sign. Many applicants didn't qualify.

Didn't matter. Banks and lenders sold these mortgages to securities bundlers, rather than hold the notes. More incentive for fraud. If the bomb can be passed to the next guy before it explodes, it's all good. Until it isn't.

But here's the most interesting aspect I feel demonstrates that banks and lenders caused the housing crisis.

Only 20% of all sub prime mortgages generated are subject to CSA provisions. 80% of sub prime was/is being generated by private banks and lenders.

F&F always have and always will seek to qualify loan applicants. Not just because it's the right thing to do but because F&F are directly connected in so many facets of loan origination, bundling and selling of mortgage securities.

F&F aren't divided up like entities in the private sector. Saying F&F busted the bubble suggests a whole family was playing hot potato with a live grenade.

But the private sector -
generated 80% of sub prime with little to no due diligence

bundled bogus mortgages with one AAA loan. Then payed ratings agencies to rate entire packages AAA.

purchased bets against loans they packaged and sold.

Walsh screams at constituents but he can't refute facts. The industry played hot potato with itself and Walsh's claims F&F did the same is baloney.

I

In~Plain~Site

Poor Wittle Barney

250px-Sylvester_J_Pussycat.png

Let them eat cake.

Extremely relevant in a way off the mark kinda way

Status
Not open for further replies.