What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Obesity

basspirate

See, now you're trying to be helpful. I like that. If I could afford health insurance or one of my two jobs offered it...we could set that right up.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's absolutely imperative to maintain a healthy lifestyle and habits-also, I may have attested to my fatness too much, I am not one of those people who can't wash themselves or wheezes after walking down the block. I just think this country has a bit of fat hysteria and folks prejudicial nature tends to come out a bit since it's so acceptable to use diminutive language regarding the health, physiology and lifestyle of overweight people. Making absolute statements about what any person should just do in the snap of a finger to fix their problems isn't going to help.

See, that's why I feel bad, because you obviously have knowledge that could help people lead healthier lives, but how accessible is that to every person who you see walking down the street?

Any ways, we digress from my original beef with this thread which relates to the second paragraph on this post. Sorry if I may have bared my claws a bit, I have the mouth of a sailor...hence the BassPirate. BUT, if you're going to be suggesting that people do this and that using blanket statements, you're going to set me and a lot of other people off. Don't you all see the blatant mass assumptions here?

basspirate

Case in point, let's look at Centrum's statements. Americans have this idea that Europeans are so progressed, but they often seem to be so much more harsh and bigoted than we would think. Ask them why they keep taking black people off of movie posters.

"Problem is most people get offended when you try to squeeze past ther fat asses to get an intelligent word in with their young!"

look at what a dripping, inflammatory sentence that is.

If you'll all admit to being a bunch of pseudo hillbilly-bigots, I'll go on a diet.

correction, centrum may not be european, but the dumbass posted the little british flag waver. still a tool.

Last edited:
G

guest3901

Is this the place where I can pick up some fat chicks?
AHHHHHAHAHAHA....good one man..

but seriously...prepare your own food so you have more control of your intake of calories,salt,fat...if you use oil use olive...better yet invest in decent non stick pans so no oil has to be added.
include lots of veggies,herbs and spices...i find a healthy meal prepared by me is more satisfying then fast food..and stop drinking colas..diet or not,,that crap is bad..
i havent eatin fast food in over 2 years...and my last soda was about the same.
i walk 5 miles 5 days a week...and if im on my bike...i ride atleast 15 miles per day....
btw...im not a chick..:tiphat:

Darkgan

I'm fat, and relatively happy. That said, I do want to lose weight, and HAVE lost sixty pounds in the last year. It feels unreal -- And to any obese people like myself -- I definitely recommend it even IF you're happy being fat. The feeling of moving more freely, and having more energy, is just fantastic.

That being said, what skinny folk need to realize is that for some of us, weight loss is INCREDIBLY hard. There are so many factors that go into weight loss.

Ever been addicted to anything? Food addiction is VERY much real, and can be extremely difficult for some people to break. A note to anyone that says "Toughen up". Guess what? Some people have predispositions to addiction; some things are literally a part of who you are. It's not as simple as "Just do it", and can really take a lot of psychological help for some people.

I agree that most things can be accomplished if someone is truly dedicated. That being said, it doesn't mean it won't take effort, and some of us just don't have that effort to expend.

Again. As a fat person losing weight, I highly suggest going on a 'less portions' diet, eating a variety of foods. Even if you're happy being fat, like me, it still feels awesome to be able to do things you didn't used to be able to do.

And to everyone telling the fat people what they absolutely SHOULD do: Be quiet. I mean really. If you're on this board, chances are you smoke pot. Haven't you had enough of people telling you what to do with your body?

Edit: To any skinny folk that think they're "better" than a fat person: Grow up. Life isn't a contest, and if it is, everyone loses anyways.

Darkgan

I've lost 50lbs since October, wasn't hard, I just ate less and exercised more.

Fat people who say they can't lose weight are liars.

Everyone can lose weight, the key is wanting to.

...Or perhaps they're in a different situation than you? I'm sorry, but not everyone is the same.

When people say they 'cant' lose weight, they're not necessarily saying it's a physical impossibility. Generally speaking, it's more of a psychological one. At certain points in my life, it WAS impossible for ME to lose weight. Why? Because I had FAR more issues than weight-loss alone. Now -- It certainly wasn't PHYSICALLY impossible for me to lose weight -- But it WAS a mental impossibility at the time.

Ever met someone on the edge of breaking? Ready to just end it all? If that person was fat and coped through food, going cold turkey on all of the food-based coping mechanisms could end in suicide. Hell, even worse.

You can't label everyone-and-thing the same; it's one reason why mandatory minimum sentences don't work. You have to take in the CONTEXT of the situation.

G

guest3901

I'm fat, and relatively happy. That said, I do want to lose weight, and HAVE lost sixty pounds in the last year. It feels unreal -- And to any obese people like myself -- I definitely recommend it even IF you're happy being fat. The feeling of moving more freely, and having more energy, is just fantastic.

That being said, what skinny folk need to realize is that for some of us, weight loss is INCREDIBLY hard. There are so many factors that go into weight loss.

Ever been addicted to anything? Food addiction is VERY much real, and can be extremely difficult for some people to break. A note to anyone that says "Toughen up". Guess what? Some people have predispositions to addiction; some things are literally a part of who you are. It's not as simple as "Just do it", and can really take a lot of psychological help for some people.

I agree that most things can be accomplished if someone is truly dedicated. That being said, it doesn't mean it won't take effort, and some of us just don't have that effort to expend.

Again. As a fat person losing weight, I highly suggest going on a 'less portions' diet, eating a variety of foods. Even if you're happy being fat, like me, it still feels awesome to be able to do things you didn't used to be able to do.

And to everyone telling the fat people what they absolutely SHOULD do: Be quiet. I mean really. If you're on this board, chances are you smoke pot. Haven't you had enough of people telling you what to do with your body?

Edit: To any skinny folk that think they're "better" than a fat person: Grow up. Life isn't a contest, and if it is, everyone loses anyways.
im not skinny.....your just fat.
im normal...6'2 188#'s...for my bone structure.
i exercise daily,and im very aware of what i eat..

Darkgan

im not skinny.....your just fat.
im normal...6'2 188#'s...for my bone structure.
i exercise daily,and im very aware of what i eat..

What? I wasn't referencing anyone in particular.

Yes, I am fat. Good on you for being the right size.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
LOL

Whoever gave me negative rep and said "You're a closet bigot..." Please, get over YOURSELF.

This is the same kind of person who says, "Hey, there's no global warming, so I'll just keep living my wasteful kind of life and screw the Earth." Even if there isn't global warming, doesn't it still make sense to live more sustainably?

Even if you can't lose weight, doesn't it make sense to still exercise and eat healthily?

Give up on yourself then. I try to give advice and someone gets their panties in a bunch.

Darkgan

That is a scary fact. And I hate how in the Nat Geo Taboo special, about obesity, some of the obese people actually loved being that way. They wanted people to "accept" them for who they were...even though it would cost them their health.

And then they want us to have mandated health insurance?? That makes me the angriest. I want to see some more people taking control of what they put into their bodies. They should not blame McDonalds for how fat they are. It is a choice; after all Mickey D's didn't put a gun to their heads.

Hippie lettuce, I don't suppose the negative rep was in regards to your first paragraph. You know, the one where YOU are saying what OTHER people should and shouldn't enjoy. To further it, you said it in a fairly self-righteous tone. Also, to say that someone shouldn't be happy with themselves is just plain rude.

Let me ask: Who are you to say what someone does with their body? I mean, it's likely you smoke pot given you're on these forums. Do you like other people telling YOU what you should or should not put into your body?

Furthermore, who are you to say if someone should or should not feel happy? Everyone that doesn't conform to what you believe to be a healthy lifestyle, shouldn't be happy, and shouldn't be allowed to live how they want to live? That's a bit self-righteous.

Now, as to your advice: I appreciate it. Advice is always a good thing, and it WAS good advice. Next time, try to leave out the condescending attitude.

Edit: As to your comparison on global warming, well, I find it off-base, and question the importance of Global Warming to you if you actually believe it to be a similar scenario. Global warming effects the entire planet. Fat people, on the other hand, are only effecting your wallet, and themselves.

Double Edit: I'd also like to mention; I wasn't the one that gave you negative feedback. :p

basspirate

Smug hate-speech is not advice. Your last post shows your unwillingness to understand or consider the views of those on the opposite side of the spectrum. Did you post to be inflammatory or are you really foolish enough to believe that crap you wrote?

Nobody is claiming that healthy diet and exercise aren't key to a healthy lifestyle and should be one's priority....you just made a complete ass of yourself. Such irony on a pot smokers' forum.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
The excuse of fat people using too much medicaid is also a little ironic considering this is a forum full of smokers.

Truth be told we should probably be taxed to pay for our extra medical costs. If cannabis was legal this would certainly be the case.

Isn't the general tone of these responses a little oppressive for a bunch of people who claim that the government has no right to tell you what you can and cannot put in your body?

I'm not in favor of the government telling anyone what to eat. I do think that the government should work to provide people incentives to eat better. This can be achieved changing the structure of agriculture subsidies and taxing low value foods.

Yes, being healthy is important and it takes a lot of work. Being THIN is something completely different.

I agree, they are probably not the same thing. You can certainly be skinny and unhealthy and slightly overweight and be healthy, but if you are 100lbs overweight you aren't healthy.

Pine

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
drink water, nothing else, and eat healthy, come on, its not hard people

It IS difficult to eat healthy. Eating by your Blood/Geno Type has a SIGNIFICANT impact on whether you're over/under weight. (And on how your brain functions.... but that's another story)

People that can't seem to lose weight, even when they drink water and eat healthy.... are eating the wrong foods. That's all.

If you gain 5lbs when you just 'look' at a doughnut.... the Blood/Geno Type "Food Selection Process" (It's not a diet) will allow you to shed excess weight like magic.

Always been stick thin and can't seem to gain weight? Same thing.

Knock off the corn syrup for one.... then start reading up on more information about your Bloodtype and Genotype.

Dr. D'Adamo has some great stuff on it.

Stay Safe! :tree:

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Case in point, let's look at Centrum's statements. Americans have this idea that Europeans are so progressed, but they often seem to be so much more harsh and bigoted than we would think. Ask them why they keep taking black people off of movie posters.

"Problem is most people get offended when you try to squeeze past ther fat asses to get an intelligent word in with their young!"

look at what a dripping, inflammatory sentence that is.

If you'll all admit to being a bunch of pseudo hillbilly-bigots, I'll go on a diet.

correction, centrum may not be european, but the dumbass posted the little british flag waver. still a tool.

Everything you said fell apart, because you have a motive, your upset for some reason.
The icon i posted was just a simple good day thats all.

The infammatory sentence was meant to be, to make the point!
If you missed the point it was me saying "like produces like!"

The simple truth is no matter what you have to say about this or that or something that is non relevant to a simple answer that kali stated earlier
If you take in the same amount of calories a day that you expend, your weight will stay the same.

If you take in more calories a day then you expend, you will gain weight

If you take in less calories a day then you expend, you will lose weight.

Your body burns fuel, if you want to complicate the answer just to be difficult thats fine but the truth is you cannot alter the facts that any doctor or nutritionist will tell you, Just so you can make excuses for something you bring upon yourself, thats called denial.

This is a typical example of bargaining with denial.
Which i know you where not , but its an example.

Say what you like, im not here to argue whether its wrong or right to be fat.
My comment earlier about the fat parent blocking passage to the child was a metaphor for parents who are in denial about themselves!
I have witnessed fat lazy parents who call there children fat and tell them they need to excercise, these same parents who bring sugar and soda and fast food to their young then treat them like servants while they play wow 18 hours a day and have there children wait on them hand and foot. Setting the perfect example!

These same types of people who you see at the grocery store that are extremely obese riding in a mobile cart sending there children out to gather junk food!
This is not educating, thats my whole point.

I dont care what country your from, i dont care what nationality you are, i dont care if you have an agenda,
I dont care if you enjoy being overweight or anorexic!

I do however believe that everyone should be aware why their bodies are doing what they are doing, most people have an idea why they are obese, and they torture themselves for being hungry and fall into a vicious cycle.
Understanding how your body uses calories is a great tool that can be used by anyone. This is the first part of understanding excess!

Now if you would like to call me names and tell me im wrong and bla bla bla go for it, it wont change the facts.

Have fun

basspirate

You said some ignorant shit. Nothing I said fell apart. I'm upset at the blatant ignorance and prejudice that you folks were so smugly spewing.

That's the problem. All of you folks don't want to touch that, you just go back to " just eat your veggies and exercise" WHICH ISN'T MY ISSUE. I agree. I am set off over the tone of a lot of these posts and diminutive language that was used. Just because it's socially acceptable to use such harsh language about what is a very personal issue for many doesn't mean it's ethical.

I like your weak attempt at using some therapy language. I am pissed at the raging generalizations that you so freely use, turn it into whatever you want. If I wasn't attempting to bargain with denial, why did you bring it up?

A few of you now have freely shown your prejudices and now want to backtrack and show us what you "really meant". I'm not buying it. I'm not here to argue over the ethics of being fat or anything else, I am here, now, to call out a bunch of blatant assholism.

Cheers.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
I don't care what "you're buying." I don't care about your opinions anymore, because you've shown just how closed-minded you are. In fact, I find it funny that you're so frustrated with our arguments that you have to send hateful messages. When I disagree with somebody, I don't tell them to "fuck off." Sorry, you're the one who's immature.

No one here told you that there was one right answer. People said that eating healthy and exercise are key to losing weight. We never said they were THE answer. If you can't discuss in a respectful way, just keep your mouth shut. And saying that we're assholes? Take a look at my first post in this thread, and tell me I said anything that was anything near "assholism." BTW, that isn't a word.

I'm here to grow cannabis and share info about growing cannabis. I'm not here to argue about this, and when I argue, I don't take to calling people names. I'm done with this thread. I wanted to give some sound advice, but obviously, if you can't just ignore it if you hate that advice so much - then that's your call.

I

inthelight

I was fat then lost it all. If you're not losing weight WORK HARDER. This life takes the experience of pain to progress.

basspirate

I only resent your smug, hateful tone. It appears that when you are met with such a tone you also become irritated. Go figure. What kind of disgusting hag does it take to ridicule people for wanting to be accepted for who they are. What kind of hypocrite does it take for someone who smokes recreationally to criticize people for not eating a healthy diet?

I am the one who is closed-minded? You're a joke. I never once tried to discredit any statements that healthy diet and exercise should be a high priority for anyone. Go back and read...if you could remember by the time you write a reply this might have stuck in your mind. I only ridiculed pathetic blanket statements that were made with an ignorant, smug tone. I think that's why you're so defensive.

By the way, assholism is a word. You understood what I meant. I didn't see you critiquing the pathetically constructed post that began this thread.

Also, I will name call as I feel necessary. This is an internet forum, I do this for fun-I don't know or give a flying fuck about you. This must be mutual as the things you have written in this thread are so heinous, so don't take it so personally when someone calls you out.

So once again, don't bother replying if you're only going to bring up that fat people need to exercise and eat better-the message is there. YOU ARE RIGHT. I -ONCE AGAIN- only take issue with your nasty, obviously bitchy personality. And, you do care what I'm "buying" obviously or else you wouldn't have replied.

See you in hell.

I don't judge anyone because if some obese person was driving behind me and my car caught on fire and that obese person was the only person their to save my life would I tell that person to fuck off??

I don't spit up because it comes back down and for you fucking peeps who sit and judge others maybe someday your kids may be obese then the shoe will be on the other foot.

this world is fucked up enough so let's just make it that much better by taking your arm and reaching out and shaking another persons hand in friendship, race, color, size were all here to live life and that's just for a short time so let's all make the best out of it together.