What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"NYC Piff"

FtWendy

Hmmph... "Ray's?"...Which one, Ray's Famous Original - Famous Ray's Original - Original Famous Rays? That name game always cracked me up.

Fuck New York and all of it's 'follow the ball under the shell' games.... move to the woods. The weed is better out in the woods. :)

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
more pics. different bud, more haze taste and aroma.

The bud in this photo looks a lot like the Hillbilly HAZE. It carries the same color, amount of orange hairs, density of the buds, elongated tip of the bud.

Which line is this? Of where was it obtained?

BigHerb, when you grow out the Hillbilly HAZE that is what the finish nugs will look like.

Deuce, did that bud carry of coffee type of flavor mixed with a spice and taste like incense on the exhale? When you burned it did it leave a incense mixed with sage smell in the air?

Hillbilly HAZE nug:

Attachments

• HillbillyHaze.jpg
    HillbillyHaze.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 27
G

Guest 64665

The bud in this photo looks a lot like the Hillbilly HAZE. It carries the same color, amount of orange hairs, density of the buds, elongated tip of the bud.

BigHerb, when you grow out the Hillbilly HAZE that is what the finish nugs will look like.

Deuce, did that bud carry of coffee type of flavor mixed with a spice and taste like incense on the exhale? When you burned it did it leave a incense mixed with sage smell in the air?

Hillbilly HAZE nug:

i dont know which line it is or what the make up is. i got it from the same guy i got the last batch from.

it did have an earthy spicy taste. it didnt taste like incense that much but it did leave a slight incense smell in the air. im not sure what sage smells like so i cant tell you.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont know which line it is or what the make up is. i got it from the same guy i got the last batch from.

it did have an earthy spicy taste. it didnt taste like incense that much but it did leave a slight incense smell in the air. im not sure what sage smells like so i cant tell you.

Interesting. Thank you for giving me what information you could. Appreciated.

:ying:

Slipklot

I have what is considered the real uptown haze aka piff. Funny thing is I gripped like a few Ls and sold some dood a grammer and he found a seed in that. Not one other seed in the whole 5 Ls. Dood was cool enough to throw me the seed and I grew it, came out fucking spectacular not as good as the original ut haze but something a little different had a spice piney inscense super hazeness to it. Could stink a room up for days if you don't vent it. And x00x the calyxs are huge on the ut haze so huge you almost wanna look for seeds but there ain't. Anyways the dood who throw me the 5 got a hold on some of mine which was from his seed that was found and his taste buds and heady high love made him want my cut. Now his cut is insane haze I'm talking head high like a bitch and body high like heroin. It will put you out for the count if you smoke to much for sure 4 hits being too much. But we traded and I now run both and love em both, just wish they didn't take over 3 months 11/13 to flower but the end result can't be touched. I been out in cali they have yet to see anything like it, however the super silver haze original cut is almost similar, I'm talking shanti old days packs of ssh.

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
imo, the piff is an old school nl5 x haze.

i grew up smoking this shit.
one thing i can say, im sure the black isn't what i grew up burning.
the black is bomb ass shit, but not the same.

i said it b4, i'll say it again, the mango haze is the closest i've had to date

bigherb

Veteran
yes your right they say its a pure haze the smell i been geting is a mix of floral and frankincense.it started flowering at 4 weeks into 12/12 and is sooooooo sticky cant believe it because there's not alot of crystals yet and she's so sticky.i think she'll finnish around 16 weeks she over grew the room and so far doesnt need branch support very thick i guess they used something realy sativa for the breeding on AI

16wks damn she sounds heavy haze dom,wish we could get specifics on lineage

that smell is lovely hopfuly it comes thu in the smoke

best of luck with the beast keep us posted on her traits of taste/aromas

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran

Hillbilly HAZE nug:

its just another one of those many many hazes we have in nyc

its amazing again that there is soo much in common with our nyc haze and the hillbilly haze ,im very very excited to hear this thanks for the input its most appreciated

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
pimpin

imo, the piff is an old school nl5 x haze.

i grew up smoking this shit.
one thing i can say, im sure the black isn't what i grew up burning.
the black is bomb ass shit, but not the same.

this is also appreciated ,its great to hear more opinions and comparison since this blacks is gettin spread

soo it seems quite a few believe what ive thought all along the blacks anint frankies

i understand they hav similarities but not the frankincense catpiss that is holy grail IMO

Fuck New York and all of it's 'follow the ball under the shell' games.... move to the woods. The weed is better out in the woods.

im a very pround NYER

this is a piff thread which makes it a NYC thread i understand your a haze man
soo if you dont hav anything positive too add dont post
there was really no need for that post it was foolish

your disrespect is not appreciated and wouldnt be tolerated not in nyc believe it

please dont respond unnescessarily

1luvbigherb

There's been a lot oh hybrids around. That looks chunky as hell. Definitely a hybrid... Glad to see a love for this herb still....

What's good bigherb!? ;)

Medium? ;)

And I'd have to say that the Mango is closest to the most fire Piff you could remember from back in the day...

The Black is the Cuban variation grown by all the ashers of the South where it can take the easy trip up the interstate... It is fire as well, but slightly different. There is another cut in South FL called Puday which is faster and more potent than both. IMO.

bigherb

Veteran
There's been a lot oh hybrids around. That looks chunky as hell. Definitely a hybrid... Glad to see a love for this herb still....

What's good bigherb!? ;)

Medium? ;)

And I'd have to say that the Mango is closest to the most fire Piff you could remember from back in the day...

The Black is the Cuban variation grown by all the ashers of the South where it can take the easy trip up the interstate... It is fire as well, but slightly different. There is another cut in South FL called Puday which is faster and more potent than both. IMO.

sup brotha

since you been away things hav gotten extra hazey ,but i see the light soo lets take emm ta church

recently one of the haze bros posted at mns and claims to be from the east coast ,soo it maybe true as my thoughts of the nyc haze being a haze bros variety

thankyou for sharing your experience wit the blacks again its confirmed its not frankies .after your post im now certain the blacks anint frank

1luvbigherb

FtWendy

...oops. I forgot about that NY insecurity. Please allow me to clarify: I was simply referring to the pizza, not the grass, and trying to be humorous but falling short. No offense was intended, as the shell game I was referring to was the Ray's pizza name game. It always struck me as funny when I lived there. Ray's and Haze was a Sunday treat...

The haze specimens I used to get were from a delivery on the UES, and the AMAC jars always were sealed with crappy computer labels and topped with smiley face stickers. $50 for two jars labeled 'purple haze' and they would last for a month of catpiss-reaking Sundays. Mmmm. That's the best haze I've had on either coast domestically, or in the dam... I miss it, and replicating it is my goal.

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
...oops. I forgot about that NY insecurity. Please allow me to clarify: I was simply referring to the pizza, not the grass, and trying to be humorous but falling short. No offense was intended, as the shell game I was referring to was the Ray's pizza name game. It always struck me as funny when I lived there. Ray's and Haze was a Sunday treat...

The haze specimens I used to get were from a delivery on the UES, and the AMAC jars always were sealed with crappy computer labels and topped with smiley face stickers. $50 for two jars labeled 'purple haze' and they would last for a month of catpiss-reaking Sundays. Mmmm. That's the best haze I've had on either coast domestically, or in the dam... I miss it, and replicating it is my goal.

i see you gathered your thoughts ,salt

remember unnecessary ,and i really did try to find the humor b4 responding but it makes me feel a bit betta knowing you were once a nyer

if by insecurity you mean trust no one take no shit ur right ,maybe it is my ny state of mind but honestly,you apologize n reply wit a witty remark then LIE n say no offence was intended,you did refer to ray's and then go on to say mov too the woods the weed is better

i call it how i see it

its all love though just had to speak my piece

back too haze sundays

the last line of ur post brings a smile to my face ,i feel the same IME as for hazes nothin can compare too the quality of our nyc haze

although ive neva got haze from a delivery service or a labeled jar of haze if they last a month id be all over them

the catpiss trait is standout in many of our nyc hazes

id lov to hear more about the traits of this purple haze you refer to

1luvbigherb

FtWendy

DomGrn - that looks like NL5xHZ... and a fine specimen to boot. Nice pics bro. Keep em comin!

Herb - I'll ignore you calling me a liar. Busted balls about the difficulty of finding a piece of pizza at 4am and poked fun at city life in general? Guilty.

Relax - I like your city. Its a fun place to be young. Indeed.:ying:

Combined, the jars contained a mere 2.5-3g, and were saved for Sundays and special wake n bakes...if I could have smoked it daily I would have, but availability was an issue always and spotty at best. This was in 2003 - 04. It was months between sightings, but when it was available, I'd see the purple haze (never colored purple btw) followed a few weeks later by the NYC haze. All of the herb offered by this delivery service was top-notch, impeccably handled, and appeared to have traveled only a short distance, or that remarkable care had been taken to ensure gentle shipment. Buds looked like homegrown, and always appeared to have been trimmed while dry (broken leaves, not snipped).

Opening the jars revealed catpiss and old mansion aromas that dominated the unburned stalks of tear-shaped calyxes. As soon as the spark met bowl the room was enveloped in rich lustrous smoke, smelling of pine and cedar and the rosin in solder (church-ish, frankies? I know electronics and timber, not catholicism). Overall, the quality of the high was similar between the two and was consistently powerful. Smoking began with waves of tension being released: eyes, then back of head, shoulders, etc would all release; conversational rhythm jumped in tempo with each emptied chillum, and soon the process of making connections and generating ideas seemed easier. Thoughts SPRANG from our heads like fireworks and laughter was the norm; movement (in particular touch and sex) was tingly, and not unlike mild clean mdma or the takeoff at the start of a nice acid trip. In a strange way, smoking these hazes reminded me of what it felt like when I was young and had been caught sneaking up on someone. Exhilarating to say the least.

Hazes I've tried in A'dam and Utrecht (various shops 2002, 2009) and Cali (bay area) over the years have been SOLID sativa joy, make no mistake about it, but they just didn't meet the standard set by the magic cubes of haze. Before NY, I had tried the dutch hazes, and I thought I knew what to expect when the delivery guy popped open that first box of golden brown velveteen wisps. Not so. In fact, trips to Holland subsequent to moving from Manhattan have only confirmed just how special those Hazes were.

Bottom line: I give well selected phenos of haze and haze-leaning hybrids 9's and 10's on my stonymeter. They are gems through and through. That said, whatever you had in NYC in '03-'04 was off the scale. It has become the ruler by which I measure sativas, and all other grass for that matter.

Thanks for letting me reminisce. I'll see if I can find an old jar for a pic of what the containers looked like, as maybe you have seen something from these guys too. Cheers! ftw

Last edited:

FtWendy

amac jar

amac jar

Does anyone recognize this jar? I couldn't find a haze jar, but you get the idea... look familiar? If I remember correctly, this Juicy Fruit was right on, too. Damn I miss that delivery service...all I can find now is night-night indica, as evidenced by the tasty *but wholly unsatisfactory* purple kush pic below.

Cheers, ftw

bigherb

Veteran
DomGrn - that looks like NL5xHZ... and a fine specimen to boot. Nice pics bro. Keep em comin!

Herb - I'll ignore you calling me a liar. Busted balls about the difficulty of finding a piece of pizza at 4am and poked fun at city life in general? Guilty.

Relax - I like your city. Its a fun place to be young. Indeed.:ying:

Combined, the jars contained a mere 2.5-3g, and were saved for Sundays and special wake n bakes...if I could have smoked it daily I would have, but availability was an issue always and spotty at best. This was in 2003 - 04. It was months between sightings, but when it was available, I'd see the purple haze (never colored purple btw) followed a few weeks later by the NYC haze. All of the herb offered by this delivery service was top-notch, impeccably handled, and appeared to have traveled only a short distance, or that remarkable care had been taken to ensure gentle shipment. Buds looked like homegrown, and always appeared to have been trimmed while dry (broken leaves, not snipped).

Opening the jars revealed catpiss and old mansion aromas that dominated the unburned stalks of tear-shaped calyxes. As soon as the spark met bowl the room was enveloped in rich lustrous smoke, smelling of pine and cedar and the rosin in solder (church-ish, frankies? I know electronics and timber, not catholicism). Overall, the quality of the high was similar between the two and was consistently powerful. Smoking began with waves of tension being released: eyes, then back of head, shoulders, etc would all release; conversational rhythm jumped in tempo with each emptied chillum, and soon the process of making connections and generating ideas seemed easier. Thoughts SPRANG from our heads like fireworks and laughter was the norm; movement (in particular touch and sex) was tingly, and not unlike mild clean mdma or the takeoff at the start of a nice acid trip. In a strange way, smoking these hazes reminded me of what it felt like when I was young and had been caught sneaking up on someone. Exhilarating to say the least.

Hazes I've tried in A'dam and Utrecht (various shops 2002, 2009) and Cali (bay area) over the years have been SOLID sativa joy, make no mistake about it, but they just didn't meet the standard set by the magic cubes of haze. Before NY, I had tried the dutch hazes, and I thought I knew what to expect when the delivery guy popped open that first box of golden brown velveteen wisps. Not so. In fact, trips to Holland subsequent to moving from Manhattan have only confirmed just how special those Hazes were.

Bottom line: I give well selected phenos of haze and haze-leaning hybrids 9's and 10's on my stonymeter. They are gems through and through. That said, whatever you had in NYC in '03-'04 was off the scale. It has become the ruler by which I measure sativas, and all other grass for that matter.

Thanks for letting me reminisce. I'll see if I can find an old jar for a pic of what the containers looked like, as maybe you have seen something from these guys too. Cheers! ftw

its all lov

its just i cant stand lies
now im bustin ballz LOL

thanks for sharing your experiences

frankies i have explained many times is wat we call the father of uptown haze aka the best .which name is short for frankincense that is known for being burned in our church , which has been used in many religions different temples/churches not just the catholic's

if electronics n timber is your speciality its a surprise you wood'nt or havnt researched more about frankincense which comes from resin of the boswellia tree

for those of you who should be enlightened on this subject
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07716a.htm

incense n catpiss are staples of our nyc haze n as you say old mansion n cedar those woodsy notes are quite popular aswell

i truly love the comparisons you make too all of those hazes and our NYC gems yes 03 /04 was a great period of high quality haze and frank was around a bit more frequent back then

ive yet too experience any haze in holland with these traits we speak of would you compare any of the haze taste/aromas being similar from the shops outside of ADAM such as utrecht known for havin those oldschoolhazes such as A5 C5 or like pax

also interested to hear which an if any of those cali haze had any similar taste/aromas to our nyc haze

those jars are still used by the nyc delivery services

1luvbigherb

bigherb

Veteran
here is some pics of NYC piff some crazy fire

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

nice pics id lov too hear your thoughts on taste/aromas of this current batch

its great too see a few variations of the nyc hazes,i swear ive had som hazes look soo wild sativa id say they looked damn near identical to those durban poison pics in the cananbible .the foxtail trait pops up everyonce in a while n endresults can hav som mind bendin smoke

the darker green golden hazes are the one i prefer ,as oppose to the lighter greens it seems the dark hazes hav more of those colombian traits i soo highly desire .

1luvbigherb

FtWendy

Flavors for all hazes I've sampled were all within the same range, regardless of geography. Ultimately the differences were in intensity and blend of flavors, with the occasional absence or presence of certain characteristics (lemon, dirt, leather). The one flavor component present in NY hazes I don't recall tasting in holland was the 'dry dankness', that mansion smell I mentioned earlier - it's not musty at all, but old and dry like an antique store. OLD and valuable always come to mind. I always associated its absence in dutch weed to uncured or poorly dried grass. In both dutch cities the 5+ hazes I've tried were all F-L-A-M-E (Sarasani in ut, Barneys, Wortel's in dam were the best), but crisp and green in flavor and color (NY were golden brown), and always a touch more moist than what I prefer.

The west coast hazes I've tried definitely seemed to be more Asian leaning, and they were green like the dutch versions, but grown, processed and handled better. Across the board. In terms of post smoking experience, what the Dutch hazes had more of was power and head rush. Bring on that caged tiger effect...that *Oh shit, I'm in bat country and the locals speak shlikety-shlak. FUCK!* -type feeling... whereas the Cali and NYC hazes were both more balanced in their high (kudos American growers)...more of a mmmm, I didn't know this couch vibrated. How delightful -type feeling.

NYC was electric gigglebush with no ceiling. It was my toll to cross the bridge into halucinogenic marijuana. Ding!

To sum it up, all of the experiential components to the hazes (look, smell, flavor, burnt odor, high) that I've sampled have remained fairly consistent, and all of the differences have generally been in the mixes of the components. My thoughts on the differences:

-The Dutch are growing bio, cutting a few weeks prematurely and marketing the herb wet and uncured
-The Cali hazes were organic and boutique grown for special consumption, but not the finest phenos on the planet. I think most of the ground the West Coast gained on the Dutch weed was in maturing and processing...
-The hazes I've tried in both Cali and Holland all seemed to be the green/asian varieties, while the NYC versions both seemed S.American.

That said...can you imagine how our enthusiastic conversations about elusive catpiss flavors and whatnot would sound to the uninitiated or uneducated reader? Makes me smile.

Also, where did the name "piff" originate?

cheers, ftw