What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients and Additives (UK)

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Looking forward to testing the new coco substrate by Mills and Dna seeds. Added silicon for fast robust growth. Anyone using it already?

kushedy

I'm just using the last of my Maxibloom & looking for a UK alternative.
Can't say I have had any negatives with maxi, actually quite like it. I just don't like having to import the stuff.
I noticed that funkymonkey mentioned Yara fertilizers on page 2.
Does anyone have any experience with Yara? any recommendations on the Yara range or an alternative UK based powdered fert?

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Looking forward to testing the new coco substrate by Mills and Dna seeds. Added silicon for fast robust growth. Anyone using it already?

did you try this ?
not sure i'd bother with it if its associated with a seed company ,,same as i wouldn't by the greenhose ferts

hope all is good for you my friend :tiphat:

yts farmer

Veteran

You sure there is added silicone in the dna coco?

When i read about them a little while back all i that i can remember about it was there was added cork, from what i can remember reading they never mentioned that or even tricoderma.

Peace

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
I'm just using the last of my Maxibloom & looking for a UK alternative.
Can't say I have had any negatives with maxi, actually quite like it. I just don't like having to import the stuff.
I noticed that funkymonkey mentioned Yara fertilizers on page 2.
Does anyone have any experience with Yara? any recommendations on the Yara range or an alternative UK based powdered fert?

General Hydroponics 'Flora Micro' and 'Flora Bloom' is what I used in the UK when running the Lucas Formula ;)

kushedy

Cheers Cabinet Ninja. I was hoping to go down the root of buying a bag a powdered nutrient rather than a cannabis specific liquid nutrient.
Commercial powdered nutrients seem to do the same thing as cannabis specific nutrients but are a lot cheaper. I had a look at the the Yara website last night & was able to pick out a few products that had roughly similar npk levels to maxibloom & jacks.
I am not expert with nutrients & npk levels though so I am not really willing to risk a grow testing these out.
If anyone has any knowledge on this please feel free to chime in.
cheers peeps

Hi all,

I have knowledge and experience with dry powdered nutrients in the UK. I can try and help with getting you started. My experience is with hydroponics.

Peace
BL

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
There is a new Coco nutrient line up from GHE, also one from Growth Technology.... I had a really interesting hours chat with the GT R&D guy at Spannabis... Like a couple of other guys from GT I have chatted to, a very impressive act, experienced grower, explained to me why "his" new Coco feed was better... Organic additives in a nutshell... he told me "all the industry feeds are within 5% of each other" ... there is little difference between brands

However, with added Fulvic, Humic, and other organic magic, he tells me, and I tend to believe the guy, that he achieved better results in side by sides using the new feed he developed.

kushedy

Cheers for the responses peeps.
I grow in autopots so organic is not really an option for me bar biotabs & I'm not overly interested in them at the moment.
Robbie Nood are there any UK companies dry nutrients you can recommend that have a suitable profile for bud?

Robbie Nood are there any UK companies dry nutrients you can recommend that have a suitable profile for bud?

Yara Kristalon brown or orange and Yara Calcinit are good for growing most plants in hydroponics, be it aqua culture or inert media culture.

Kristalon brown, red, scarlet, and orange are a compound formulas containing more or less everything you need other than Calcium and Nitrogen which come form Calcinit which is Calcium nitrate.

I get mine in 25kg sacks for £50 Kristalon brown and around £30 for Calcinit. They last a very very long time if stored correctly.

I also make my own formulas from single salts to work with my tap water.

Peace
BL

Here's a plant grown with Kristalon orange and Calcinit
IMG_20140111_131523-Copy_zps3c45d752.jpg

Peace
BL

kushedy

Hey Robbie Nood thanks for the info. I've just been having a read of a Yara Kristalon brochure.
With regard to calcinit it states the following:

If calcium levels are low,
KRISTALONTM (Brown, Red, Scarlet
or Orange) can be used in combination
with Calcium Nitrate (YaraLivaTM
Calcinit) in a two tank system or by
alternated feeding.

which to my mind means that you would have to mix to separate solutions & use on separate feedings in order to supplement with calcinit.
Is that what you’ve been doing or am reading this wrong somehow?

P.s. do you buy directly from Yara or do you know of stores stocking them in the UK?

You use them like any other two part nutrient.

It's possible to either make a 1L stock solution of each salt containing 100g of each salt then add each stock to the res in varying amounts depending on stage of growth, or, make 1L stocks containing varying amounts of salt then add the stocks to the res in equal amounts.

I prefer to make a 100g/1L stock solution as I know each 10ml contains 1g of each salt for simple measurements.

I buy from an agricultural merchants and I'm no way a frequent customer as the sacks last a very very long time if stored correctly.

What grow medium will you be using.?

Peace
BL

You may need to find somewhere to collect the Calcinit as it's a nitrate and postal services and couriers have oxidizing nitrates on their not allowed lists. Anything with high amounts of potassium nitrate will be watched in today's political climate as they are ingredients for clandestine explosives.

Peace
BL

kushedy

Normally I would just add each ingredient by gram or ml to the res, obviously stirring in-between each addition. I was asking as the Yara literature made it sound like you couldn't include the 2 ingredients in the same reservoir mix, you had to water with ine, one day & the other the next day. That's how it sounded anyway.
But from what your saying you actually can.
I grow in a mix of coco & perlite.
Yeah I new that some fertilizers could be used for that purpose, the world we live in these days!
I'll have to have look online & see if there are any agricultural merchants near me.

Did you settle on Yara Orange after comparing the other suitable lines they offer or was there another reason for your choice?

A stock solution is the same as your A and B. You just make your own like I said above. Then to your reservoir you add amounts in ml of each to achieve your desired ec.

Or you can add salts direct to the res in grams.

Peace
BL

kushedy

Got it. I cannot find anywhere near me that stocks calcinit.

Am I right in saying that any calcium product will do? As in run of the mill calmag at the right concentration would replace calcinit?
A little pricier admittedly.

You may need to phone around a few places. I have to travel 50 miles to collect.

Not all of these places have online info.

Peace
BL

Latest posts

Latest posts