What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noticed any adverse effects of cannabis use?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
some folks are predisposed to anxiety/panic attacks. those folks should be very careful using MJ as too much can trigger severe episodes.
Many people sensitive to this have reported that vaping seems to remove the 'ultra-paranoia' component, allowing them to medicate with bud they can't 'smoke'.

Personally... vaping removes whatever it is that seems to 'help' my anxiety. Never seemed to work that well for me. Go figure. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

justwatchin

Allot of my friends who have started smoking before there brain was fully developed around the age of 12-15 have exhibited symptoms of schizophreniform disorder and slight depression that last quite a while after some have stoped smoking even up to 2 years.
I have found that many I have introduced as adults have no chronic phycological symptoms what-so-ever other than the ocational mania/depression and even then those syptoms are none lasting and wear off quite quickly with a brief absence or the right strain.

justwatchin

Whether these lasting symptoms are a result of an underdeveloped brain or starting in the (Erikson's stages of psychosocial development) identity vs role confusion <adolecent> stage of development i'm still unsure of. I think starting too early might hamper the ability to develop coping mechanisms and therefore lead to psychological disturbances, so I more lean to these lasting symptoms being related to chronic herb use as being indirectly related vs directly as a result of the herb use itself.

The inability to develop coping mechanisms are what leads to any lasting phychological diturbances. Whether this inability was bound to happen anyway as a result of enviroment/genetics or was a direct result of this indirect relationship with herb I dont think any of us will ever have the answer for.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Whether these lasting symptoms are a result of an underdeveloped brain or starting in the (Erikson's stages of psychosocial development) identity vs role confusion <adolecent> stage of development i'm still unsure of. I think starting too early might hamper the ability to develop coping mechanisms and therefore lead to psychological disturbances, so I more lean to these lasting symptoms being related to chronic herb use as being indirectly related vs directly as a result of the herb use itself.

The inability to develop coping mechanisms are what leads to any lasting phychological diturbances. Whether this inability was bound to happen anyway as a result of enviroment/genetics or was a direct result of this indirect relationship with herb I dont think any of us will ever have the answer for.
I'm one of those that has read this same line of reasoning a few times and I call B.S.

I'm pretty sure that the way people handle cannabis in current society (prohibition, taboo-subject, blah-blah-blah) does more harm to children's psyche than cannabis ever could.

And as for schizophrenia... it represents a lot less than one percent of the population... don't really understand why people keep bringing it up as a 'general' side effect to be careful of. Considering the number of people that USE cannabis.... there'd be an awful lot more schiz's around if it actually 'caused' it.

Centuries of history show cannabis being used extensively as medicine for children. Considering you can almost live off of the plant and how compatible it is to the body...... Yeah, most 'mental' issues folks have these days have their roots in the depraved muck they call 'society'. Really rough on a kids psyche.

SetHeh

burning any organic material causes inflammation of the mucus membranes and soft tissues of the lungs and throat. this can result in all sorts of badness.

I've caught a mild cold and as a result of my laziness to properly treat it the infection moved down to lungs. It's nothing serious, but I cough occasionally throughout the day. I now take cough medicine and it's getting better. Now, here's the funny part: when I smoke cannabis (1x or 2x per week), using my glass bowl, the cough disappears for about 12 hours. :)

RetroGrow

Veteran
Many people sensitive to this have reported that vaping seems to remove the 'ultra-paranoia' component, allowing them to medicate with bud they can't 'smoke'.

Personally... vaping removes whatever it is that seems to 'help' my anxiety. Never seemed to work that well for me. Go figure. :D

Depends on the temperature you vape at. Different temps release different cannabinoids.
Someone listed a chart about it, but can't remember where I saw it.

justwatchin

Well hydroSoil understanding Schizophrenia is the first step to realizing how many schizos they really are. Those panic attacks as described in the thread are symptoms of schizophrenia, paranoia is a symptom of schizophrenia, great bouts of mania and depression is a symptom of schizphrenia, inability to socaily or academically function where previously there was no issue are syptoms of...you guessed it, shizophrenia and they are many others associated with herb. Its not just about catatonia or inability to verbalize organized sentences. I myself sometimes get bouts of rage where im confused at the hight of my rage trying to understand really what im so angry about and not coming up with a ligit reason. Without getting into to much personal detail, I have been to clinicals where I have been surrounded by schizophrenics and other mental illnesses on the psy ward and its quite evident there are allot more functioning mental disorders within our society than not. Then when you get deeper into understanding mental disorders you will realize that many ppl are quite mentally ill they are just able to function within society. The only reason for admission into a hospital are if that person is a danger to self or others, or self admission. I have seen it first hand so I cannot say bullshit what-so-ever. You have to understand mental illness in order to call bullshit.

WelderDan

Veteran
I get this same effect when using the meds from a couple local growers.... I quit getting anything from them.

My stomach issues went away too.

Might want to look into a different source....

The vomiting thing? Yeah... I read those reports and it's NOT the cannabis... It's what's being used on or to grow the cannabis. Perhaps it's an environmental thing.. I don't know.
What I DO know is that what you describe and what's listed in the articles is almost exactly what I've experienced myself.

I just quit using meds like that before it went 'several years' and developed into the cyclic vomiting.

Matter of fact... I believe I have a neighbor with this condition and yep... their meds are seriously jacked, have been for years.

So when I say that cannabis sometimes causes a drop in my bloodpressure, you say I should look into a different source? It can't possibly be the cannabis, it has to be "the source"?

Well what if I told you it has happened on occassions spanning 3 decades of cannabis use, from multiple sources, including what I grow myself and KNOW for a fact what went into producing it?

It's less apt to happen when my tolerance is high, and I'm sure it is the cannabis that causes a drop in BP. It's a fact that cannabis can lower or raise bloodpressure in indiviuals.

You seem to ignore the fact that everyone is wired differently, and different things affect different people in different ways. Just like any other chemical substance, from aspirin to tylenol to morphine, cannabis can induce many different reactions in a certain percentage of the population.

If you honestly beleive that cannabis can't/does not cause adverse reactions in certain people you are in serious denial. Cannabis has a range of chemical compounds that bind to chemical receptors in your brain. It can and does cause different reactions in different people. And some of those reactions may not be pleasant.

We can all agree that it can provide many benefeits to mankind, however it isn't a cure all, nor is it completely safe for everyone.

And I say this as someone who loves their weed, and continues to smoke it even if it does screw with my BP.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Yes, cannabis affects different people in different ways.

Yes, growers are often grossly unaware of the ignorance they have regarding quality.

Yes, I've had the same strain from two different growers and had the spins and drop in blood pressure from only one.

I never deny that there is a small subset of people that may have one adverse reaction or another.... I'm basically pointing out that it's usually NOT the cannabis.

Until prohibition goes away.... and the money to be made from this goes away.... people are going to have issues understanding and sourcing clean cannabis.

just read o.p.s post and none of the rest, but heres my tcs

physically it does NOTHING (harmful or dangerous, ie does NOT cause cancer)
mentally, it will make time fly like you cant believe. and you may end up living in your moms when you are 30, or 40! just like that commercial they made and i shit you not.

when i got out of the navy in 92 i gotta job that had a 'drug test' everyday. we got stoned every fucking day and six years later instead of learning to be a tube bender i never learned anything, i just spent six years doing apprentice shit. i cant still believe i spent six years there doing that without learning anything.

i would get stoned for a while, nice up high, on just one or two hits max. lightweight (after years as a teen smoking ounces at a time). now i take one hit or two and i am basically burnt out for the rest of the night. i no longer smoke in the day because of that. i am very afraid that when i am in the old folks home trying to remember my life that i wont be able to remember a fucking thing. pot is not a good thing once the giggles wear off or you hit your mid twenties. unless you are in pain. i am not. my wife is and smokes all fucking day, no wonder nothing ever gets done around here. my advice to everyone is to stop smoking pot, eventually. peace.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You have to understand mental illness in order to call bullshit.
I'm much more aware of the mental effects of 'modern' society and diet on people than most.

Same as the cannabis world... there are a lot of well intentioned, highly 'educated' people in the mental health industry that are very detrimental to mental 'health'. It's a sick world and not many really understand just how much so

devilgoob

Veteran
Ok, I have had panic attacks two times on weed.

Once was because I was toking hard and the body high starting to have a constricting effect and then all of a sudden I was having a heart-attack and trying to catch my breath - while thinking the cops were after me! I attribute it to being a novice and smoking a bowl that lasted so long and was so large (2 1/2 bowls) that the body high and heart attack feeling set in, then I my mind raced and I fought - trying to breathe having a heart attack.

Second time, I hadn't smoked in 2 months and then bought really good "mids". Had a few seeds, but the weed was GREAT. I smoked a whole joint and was walking down the street. Out of nowhere electricity struck me from inside and my spine and all nerves felt like 17AMPS of AC-ish like electric shocking all over, even over my skull cap. So I started to think I might be dying and also thought maybe I was losing my mind and that's WHY I was dying. Neither. So I fell to the ground and jolted around a little bit.

I am pretty sure, people prone to seizures, can be part of the panic attacks beside the mental part.

Another one is that puking thing. It makes you want to eat, so when you don't have it, you want to throw up. Marijuana STOPS the barfing usually. If you smoke, and then periods when you're not, your cannabinoids are low, and you become sick because it effects parts or circuits in the brain involved in appetite AND how the stomach feels in regard to hunger.

The lungs are obvious - saying our inhaling capacity is better doesn't cut it. Some people tend to inhale hot ass smoke and don't know how to lower the heat with their teeth and tongue. These hairs people speak of, they are not hairs. They are cells that stick out and use locomotion to move mucus and derbis. So, these die when you take massive hits that burn your throat.

If you inhale easy, you can get a great hit that travels down into the alveoli instead of just holding that last big part of the inhale in your mouth, throat, and trachea.

If you quit, you might have temper flares and shit. Society is a bitch, that's why you smoke weed remember?

If you quit you might have trouble sleeping a little. As far as smoking marijuana and losing some REM sleep, I would rather make that trade off as I am stage one sleeping some parts while I am awake anyway. What? Sleeping while you're awake? You make the unconscious, conscious, at least some of it, when you are toking in your daily life.

Some people have a somatosensory thing where they feel they need to ball up or pretzel themselves more when they quit. I have had that too. It is believable as the sig1 receptors would...I don't know, but they're involved down the chain.

Piel

Veteran
You guys are writing a lot and so far I´d say that weed can activate latent schizofrenia and as the age that many people develop the illness is late teens then you´ll have some cases -but not many. 1% of the people in ANY population will develop schizofrenia (culture can buffer depression and some tribes in the Aamazons dont even have a word for the ailment -I read somewhere) so any effect will be marginal at the worst.

crazybear

well I've noticed that I'm a really pissed off person that can't hardly deal with the pain when I don't have any herb!
What was the question, oh yeah & my memory is not so good, or is that because I choose to forget stuff!:wave:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok, I have had panic attacks two times on weed.

Once was because I was toking hard and the body high starting to have a constricting effect and then all of a sudden I was having a heart-attack and trying to catch my breath - while thinking the cops were after me!

Sure felt like a heart attack, didn't it.

This is largely a result of prohibition and the f'ed up way society conditions people to view the world.

Yeah... I don't generally like cops, especially when they feed me a line of bullshit and expect me to just swallow it with their badge and gun.

Move towards shifting yourself to a medical state... vote with your dollars.

Elsweeto

You guys are writing a lot and so far I´d say that weed can activate latent schizofrenia and as the age that many people develop the illness is late teens then you´ll have some cases -but not many. 1% of the people in ANY population will develop schizofrenia

I've thought about this a lot, with good reason.
We know schizophrenia develops in the late teens early twenties most peoples contact with pot starts in the late teens and early twenties, kids who are having mental health problems are more likely to use/abuse drugs so maybe its not the pot; Maybe the pot use is just a by product of underlying mental health issues.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
What I've noticed though "thanks" to legal access to cannabis is that I don't crave exercise as much and tend to become complacent because of sedation and lack of discipline. For me, that's the biggest downside- that I don't effect my attitude positively through exercise and endorphin release much these days... I think about it though.
Sorry I missed this one earlier...

Change your strains... more sativa dom. Look for something about 12-14 weeks (or more if you can find it) You won't be sitting on the couch, you'll be cleaning up and doing what you should be.

You may find it difficult as the heavier-yielding/more-profitable strains are not motivational with clear thought.

C

CLOWD11

Apart from having a totaly fucked memory, clogged up lungs and a anger that will one day kill, pot is good...

To all the people here claiming how fucking good this addictive shit is, just stop smoking for a few days and re-check your mental health problem list. Oh i forgot, this is IC where nobody goes without unless busted. (this in itself is revealing)
Going by most of the comments here, i seem to be the only one able to "confess" my health problems.
Dont get me wrong.. i totally enjoy getting off my melon, but thats not where the health problems start or stop if we look at it truthfully.
A quarter century of smoking... if i could go back to that very first toke, i would now make the decision to just say no. This will offend some of you who have made this shit your religion without even knowing and now defend it with risk to your health.
Fact is there are certain elements of the herb that are beneficial, but burning the vegetable matter to get to these ingredients pose serious risks, like it or not.