What's new

Not Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Six

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Heya Oldhaole thank you for your answer on the Dieselrella mate. :thank you:
Good Luck avoiding the bastards in the air bro.
:plant grow:

Lookin good out there OH!!!

I'm getting anxious over here waiting for Summer to start .... But it's in the high 30s/40s today n tmrw ...... Weekend looks good though!

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Gorilla

Gorilla

Howizet OH
I was mostly a angler it was a friends boat and was all about the party after a good year of planting. My kid wants to learn about growing so we will do a gorilla in a gulch. We found this one and it looks great. Dam pics

Last edited:

Dirtboy808

Veteran
take 2

take 2

A little more water then your gulch.
003-1.jpg

Hey OH,

Your journal is looking great and I really enjoy the "Way Back Machine". It's great to hear stories of what is was like here not so long ago.

Below is a link to a light I suggested to a guy on the Big Island for keeping his outdoor plants vegging. He tried it and said it works. It turns on at dusk and last up to 4 hours at max power and 8 hours at lower power. And is solar charged which might be great for you gulch.

SB642 looks like it's going to pass and then you won't have to worry about immature and mature plants. Right now it's not set to be in effect until Jan. 2, 2015, but I know sometimes they change it to take effect at the beginning of the next calendar year.

Anyway, I hope all is well with you and talk to you later.
162617_lg.jpg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200446604_200446604

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran

I may have previously mentioned being lazy and, um, frugal.
Here's proof!:biggrin:

I just cut 3 holes in a garbage can, mounted 3 solar "driveway" lights with the lights inside and the cells out side.

redneck vegger.jpg

Invert it over a plant at twilight, and take it back off around 10 pm.
Not enough light to grow beeg an strong, that's the sun's job.

Plenty enough light to keep it in veg and quite stealthy as well.
Moths?
Not an issue. :)

Time: 5 minutes
Materials: $ 0.0 (They were about to be tossed)
Have already accessorized.:peacock:
Attached a cuphook inside to hang a no pest strip from.
(That's an quick/easy fix for spidermite outbreaks, outdoors.)

Recycled!:dance013:

Aloha,

Da Wee 'zard

oldhaole

Veteran
Weez....Frugal translates to cheap....I can get behind that. I think the barrel would trap moisture. Also don't think it would be big enough. Partner tried somthing similar....minus the lights. Had rot problems.

Lightweight...that's a bit bigger than those low solar powered lights. SB642? Don't count your chickens...Should it pass it will be the first changes to the MMJ laws since they were inacted.

I am convinced that the legislature doen't give a rats ass about the law they made. My money says it fails...I hope I'm wrong though.

Dirtboy...teaching the next generation...warms my cold black heart. Does that gulch get good sun?...looks like your fixed OK for water.

GEMiNi....Starts are showing sex finally. They should be in the ground soon....I'm expecting a GH this next week. If it happens I'll wait it out. If it doesn't they'll go in the gulch this week. Also have three plants to take tomorrow. These will be the first plants taken from the new plants on the South side of the gulch. Curious on the yields.

By popular demand...never thought I'd be able to say that...

I give you another short trip on the wayback machine. This trip isn't the best...it's kinda boring...but we gotta set the stage somewhere....

Now we see if this fucker works....or do we end up at the bottom of Kahoma Stream?...again.

There we were....touching virgin ground for the first time....sounds dirty doesn't it?...It was.

And already there were problems. That virgin ground....didn't take to tire prints. Tire tracks leading straight back to our gate. Yea...that'll work. Twenty feet into the adventure and we were parked in the middle of the canehaul road franticly erasing our tracks.

Living proof that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy....even if the enemy is ourselves.

One thing was plainly obvious...we couldn't use the gate in anything but an emergency. We could load and unload that way, but that was the first and last time that truck went thru the gate. Later on a lot of weed was chucked over the fence....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The safest path was North. North was wet. There the haulroad veered away from the main road so the tourists didn't have to hear or see the trucks. We found our first way out...but we had to cross the eigth fairway of the golf course....I doubt they would appreciate us tearing up the grass....Still...it's an exit.

Keep going and the haulroad takes you back to the main road. Before we got back to the mainroad we found out next possible escape. A short road by the car rental offices ended in a berm that we could climb...then 150 ft to the mainroad. Dangerous but doable. Hit it fast...and pray no cops are driving by.

Keep looking...next 'exit' we found went right around the county baseyard by the sewage treatment plant. On Sunday we could do it....any other day....No. Head north until the sugar fields stopped and the pineapple began. No way to hide in a pineapple field. North wasn't happening.

Turn around back towards Lahina town. Pass the houses and secret gate, the road jogs back toward Lahina town. Just past the houses was a big empty field full of scrub Keawe. Future home to future new houses. Pull the truck into the field and pick our way thru the field, avoiding the worst places...and pop out behind the Civic Center....right into the back parking lot.

This'll work. Only took a couple of hours. We had our way out....and a few more if things get dicey. Now it's time to explore.

Retrace our path...and start up the hill. We immediatly notice the difference between this side and the other. The cane looks like shit. Weeds were growing all over. This side uses driplines. Before this we had never seen them. The cane on the other side of the island is flood watered. Crews go thru the fields and spray the weeds....not here though.

About a mile up we hit a latteral road. Not used for hauling cane, this it the way the workers get around. Below the smaller road (makai) is solid cane. Above the road (mauka) are fields seperated by gulches...some deep, some not so. Mauka of the road is an irrigation ditch.

Keep heading up and the road gets steep. Every 150 feet is a hump, to channel the rainwater off the road. Hit them too fast and you'll catch air....which we do....many times. Up ahead is a line of Ironwood...a perfect place to pull out and smoke a joint in the shade. Look down and we are dragging a giant dustcloud behind....That sure as hell can be seen.

More better we slow down and skip the joint....keep climbing all the way to the top. It gets steeper still...How the hell do they plant these fields without the planter tipping over?

On top is a short road. Follow the road and we come to a big cement box...dated 1914. Almost a swimming pool. Used to build up pressure, the empty pool is fed by a ditch, fed by a stream a couple of miles away.

This is the place to kick back. Investigate. Looks like pig hunters have been up here. Lot's of trails. The land above used to be planted.... but has long been abandoned. Find a big valve and close it. The pool fills. We are dry, hot, and dusty....by the time we smoke the joint the pool is filled. Let's go swimming.

The water is cold...almost a thousand feet above the coastline we can hear the music from the hotels. Floating in the pool I look up and see Strawberry Guava overhanging. Wherever Strawberry Guava grows gets enough water to grow weed. The water needs of the two plants are almost identical.

I wonder....an idea forms.

Maybe this can be done. Give it a shot anyway. It would make life easier...if it works.

Watch a beautiful sunset....come down after dark. We didn't see anyone else the whole day.

OH. .... I think the way back machine broke .... We never made it back to the present ..... Ehhh never mind ..... I enjoy it here in the past ...... I think I'll stay

Weez .... That's a cool idea ..... OH I'm thinking his idea will work for small vegging clones to keep em going in veg ..... Don't think rot will be an issue in veg ..... But you know your climate better than I

oldhaole

Veteran
A fast edit...

Weez.....that looks like a great way to get the job done. GEMiNi is right. That is the best idea anyone has come up with. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that reply.

I actualy had the both parts of the story written....then spaced out and l lost both.

The first time I wrote it flowed...second time it didn't....and it showed. I guess I wasn't properly medicated....gotta work on that.

Then I stepped all over your idea...for no other reason than I didn't think it thru.

It's a good idea....and I'd bet it would work. My bad.

oldhaole

Veteran
This sucks....

Gotta throw together a post...

Gotta cover yesterday too...

Then to wrap it up with a rewarmed, recycled, redone, and repaired Lahina post.... Then haul your sorry asses back home.

And Grey has to be nice to me because he's a moron.

What a maroon...dude does great work...but he can't read a gas guage worth shit!

Fuck. Start with yesterday.

Pull the starts out of the dark...they went in for the last five days about an hour early. Found four girls...and four boys....and five have yet to show. Kacked the boys, planted the girls....just so happen to have the holes done. Only a month late...

If I had half a brain and my shit together, this;

picture.php

should look like this already;

picture.php

Here we go. These plants were put in at the right time. Bigger of the two Jack x Kush girls. These were framed out, and mulched...yesterday.

Did I mention how hot it was? Braddah...spring is done. I have far too many steps here, a wheelbarrow won't work...gotta haul mulch around two buckets at a pop. Good fun in the hot sun. Then halfway thru planting the smaller starts, bonehead calls.

Take him his fuel...don't get me started.

Hell Grey...you didn't think I'd mention your little error? Wait 'til I'm broken down late one night...your number will be on speed dial.

Where was I?

After I GOT BACK HOME....finished planting, pulled weeds, all that fun stuff.

Mentioned I harvested? Pulled three. An Unknown....

picture.php

The Cheesy Thai.....

picture.php

And I think this is a Chem D. Had to go...she was starting to rot. I was thinking it was a Guerilla Glue....It was labeled as such...but its not. Good thing I didn't post those pics in the GG subforum....just this stupid thread....

picture.php

What?

You expect perfection?

Wrong place buddy. Want perfection? Check out Greys thread. His ride runs on air.

So....all together it wasn't a bad day. My holes are planted. Pulled an easy lb. Framed and mulched and weeded...all that shit is done. The next week is cruse control....just turn the water on....

OK thats part one of this ratfuck.

Onward to Part Two.

Salvage this lost abortion of the story and get you fuc....excuse me....readers safely home.

This is gonna be lame...fair warning.

The next Sunday we were ready. Cooler full of cold beer. Bottle of Crown Royal. Daryll's girlfriend, Partners wife, and yours truly and my current ball and chain de jour. Plan ready to execute. Turn in on the short road by the car rental place, hit the berm like it wasn't there. Hang a left, next right and we fly....and I do mean fly....up the hill. Ice, beer, and people flying about the bed....screaming and cussing me out.

Felt like married life does today....

Wandering....

Pass the Ironwoods...and slam on the brakes...this is where I get out. Walk to the pool when I'm done.

In my backpack are a film canister of seeds, moms trowel, and a lb or so of time release ferts. Walk in to the field about 40 ft find a spot...any spot. The cane is young...just over head high...and wet...they just got done watering recently.

Open up a patch...easy work, uproot a few scragily cane clumps...just use your weight and push against them. Wet, they fall right over. The dripline sits with cane starts planted on either side....that's what I'm looking for.

Turn the soil over....Red dirt.... it doesn't fluff up easy...wish I'd brought a shovel...but it gets done. Plant the seeds in groups of five or more where the cane was. About six inches apart. Run out of room and do it all over again on the row right next to the first. As I'm working I hear air being purged from the system...and the dripline starts to swell.

Took about two hours.... walk back up to the party...hope they saved me some beer. I can't tell you how great that cold water felt. Next time up, we gotta stash some soap here. Start asking questions. Turns out when the pool fills, it waters the field below.

That's a good thing to know.

The next four Sundays we head up there far a few hours to stop watering the fields they wanted to water, and start watering the field we wanted to water. Before we left we'd put it back to the way it was.

On the fifth Sunday it was time to see if the plan worked. Happily I was greeted by four rows of healthy starts waiting to be transplanted. Around 60 holes or ten patches. I never showed anyone where the starts were. Before we started work personel changes were needed.

Starts grown in the same field, we were going to plant, changed everything. We didn't need to haul them the 50 miles from home to Lahina. The limited starts I could grow up on my roof could be used elsewhere. About this point we could see a way to make this payoff. Done right the possibilities were endless.

Not the best storytelling, but close enough for Government work.
Maybe next time I'll do it right the first time....instead of playing catchup.

Last thing...pile into the wayback machine.

It's time to go home.

So let me get this straight ..... On the fuel gauge .... E stands for Engorged with fuel ...... Right ...... I'm thinking me n grey are on the same page ;)

Looking good out there OH!!! gotta love a perpetual outdoor harvest .... I wish!!

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
See what you made me do!?

See what you made me do!?

A fast edit...

Weez.....that looks like a great way to get the job done. GEMiNi is right. That is the best idea anyone has come up with. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that reply.

I actualy had the both parts of the story written....then spaced out and l lost both.

The first time I wrote it flowed...second time it didn't....and it showed. I guess I wasn't properly medicated....gotta work on that.

Then I stepped all over your idea...for no other reason than I didn't think it thru.

It's a good idea....and I'd bet it would work. My bad.

Don't think twice, brah.
You made 2 good points.
Worth much more than a whole boatload of "attaboys".
It's called tough love, yah? :)

Here are the mandated improvements.

First:
Chopped up a solar powered "hat-fan". (They clip to a hat brim )
Tied the fan bit to the LEDs leads.
Just keeps the air moving gently.
Knocks about an hour off the AA cells run time, but that's still enough time to hold veg.
And B:
Lookin' for a taller trash bin.

What?
You thought I'd just go buy one?
Helloo! Frugal! :biggrin:

It's only limit?
The lensless leds and the ISL.

Lensing the leds is the next "fix". :)

So, you got any criticism?
Bring it!
That shit is gold brah.:thank you:

Ciao,
Wee

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Gulch

Gulch

Must not of had GH this week. You asked about the gulch. Above the water fall the gulch is not deep, great sun but just have to wait till the cows get moved. That is a 80ft waterfall with a big pond at the bottom and their are a few spots above the drop off to do some plants. There is strawberry guava growing on the side of the gulch. A shot of way back if you don't mind.
When you were doing the cane I was planting this spot it was in the middle of a big cane field back then. Now it is part of a big ranch.
Lucky for me my friend smokes and has cows. Don't mean to hijack you thread but thought your old fingers need a break lol
I hope NOAA is right about it being dryer then normal till Oct.
Like your cane stories, got any old photos?

Very enjoyable ride so far in the Wayback Machine. I know you don't buy seeds, but I found these ones and thought of you based on your avatar. Pretty funny.
index.php

JackCough

A pair of birds have been flying slow and low over upper puna this morning. A yellow bird and a black bird.back and forth, back and forth. Pair of Wandering Tattlers perhaps?

JOJO420

Veteran
Flying pork choppers over my head in Puna today..Its on boys.Im smoking a bowl and watching da show from the porch.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
GH

GH

They hit Puna hard. I had a tray of seedlings just coming out of the soil and that put me 8 over they dug out the seeds that had not popped and they took everything saying I wasn't in compliance. He told my wife if you are over on anything they will take it all. Wipe out. My bud number was under and they took them. The DEA came to my door to check my numbers. My wife was the only one home and now they really pissed her off. Our 4th stash is no more.
Where I was working they came and took all of that guys too. Glad I was just a dumb carpenter on the job.
Sounds like they are changing the rules and want to make a statement.

D-boy .... That's a bad hit ...... Kinda surprised they hit ya that hard that they take everything ..... Zero tolerance plan which sounds like it hurts the people that need it more than anything else .... It's a shame

I was looking at a place on the outskirts of kona .... Nice large lot w a house and barn ... Both needed demolishing though ..... But before those plans fell through we were going to build a hidden basement under the barn as a safe haven to store excess plants, seeds and flowers ..... One day I'll have my dream farm out on the big island ... One day

But you should have a hidden spot to store bud just in case .... Under the floor boards ... In the wall that's hard to find but easy enough to access ..... That way they don't clean you out of meds

Good luck to you guys in the hot zone this week stay safe and watch the ghetto birds