What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Six

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Dawn....I hear you. The indicas have a place in the garden....I'm sure gonna keep what I found or others gifted me. The market will be there for those. My sativas, I am told do nothing for pain. So I should be growing both.

I know nothing about FL's growing season. The one thing I can say is the Sats take a bit longer than advertised sometimes. Mine have been going for two weeks and will be ready mid October. Indicas need to be harvested at day x, but Sats can always go another week. Your photoperiod is different...so I may be wrong.

I'll find out in the fall - there is a definite difference in most of my strains between the ones flowered in fall/winter when the daylight is diminishing/short and in the spring when it is increasing. They still flower in spring, but bud structure tends to be lighter and fluffier when flowering in March/April/May. Too far into May and they start to reveg.

Upsizing with Sats can be a two edged sword. Smaller pots go off faster...bigger pots take longer and yield more. The branches love to break when they are packing it on and you gotta move them fast. They are easy to fix though. Better have some big cages

That's why I won't even pop seeds until May. 30 days or so until they germ and are of any reasonable size, solstice is the 21st of June - the question is how long it takes after that for them to begin flowering. I have short cages (48") for most plants and some tall ones for the sativas. One of my Trainwreck girls reached almost 6' (from the bottom of the pot) this year - I don't need/want anything taller than that, but we'll see what happens.

I have baisicly the same problems with humidity as you. There are some strains that I just laugh at when they show me the finished product....like I can grow that here? Sure....not. Hopefully the weather gods smile on you....but don't bet on it.

And for the record you can not grow a tall indica here. I have yet to see an indica that won't bud as soon as it is outside. Photoperiod never gets long enough for veg.

That's where my supplemental lighting and mobility helps so much - I'm still trying to find the upper limits of height for my indicas. Biggest one so far was an indica dominant hybrid I'll chop in about three weeks. Approaching 4' (from the bottom of the pot) and I'm hoping for 4 oz. but we'll see.

Looks like decent weather ahead...so I have no reason to yell at wifey....who the hell am i bullshitting?

Yeah I hear ya, I don't have dogs but if I did I think I'd still yell at the wife more. You'd think after all this time she'd be trained better, but that's the difference between bitches with thumbs that can feed themselves and those that can't - motivation.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
Plastic

Plastic

I use the UV green house clear I think 95%. Super strong can handle the wind. We have a place here that sells it cheap, they supply most places. Give me a shout when you want to get prices. My green house got delayed at the factory and will hit the water next week. I just started my seeds so it will be a close one. Latters

oldhaole

Veteran
Wierd how that works...The nicer it is, the less I want to go thru the hastle of building a roof. What I did was to buy and cut down a couple of sheets of the clear polywhatever panels Weez sugested, Built a light frame, and some legs, now I have a small portable roof that can cover any clone. Knock a few more together...and you have a half assed solution.

My back of the envelope calculations say I need roughly 1000 sq ft of roof surface to do both growing areas.

That's a lot of roof. Instalation would also require shutting down the area I'm working in. And the 20 ft lenghts I have are not long enough either. Fuckin' problems.

Weez, Dirtboy, Veg...thanks for the links and input. It gives me a lot to think about.

The one thing it I think it screams to me is "Big Job!"

Mull it over for this season....in other words, back burner it until the next rain, when I can whine about it again.

Automatik... Welcome to the board. Welcome to Another Crappy Day. Feel free to post anytime. Let us know how the greenhouse works.

Dawn....Sats are easier and more forgiving than Indicas. Your as far South as you can be in the Continental US. The flower structure is usually fluffier. Barring a hurricane...you'll pull this off. Duck soup.

Anyway wifey is running errands....so I don't have the constant "cluck cluck cluck" in the back of my head. Perhaps we can scrape a coherent post out of this deal....Though I wouldn't bet on it.

I say checking the boxes. One of those boxes is resistance to mold. Most plants have it to some degree. Some strains don't have any.

picture.php

It's not pretty. This is the Japaneese Hash. No mold resistance.

Might as well get these out of the way. Call this the close but no cigar group. All of these didn't meet standards and their contract will not be renewed.

L.A. Confidential...she is hairs away from a keeper. My only beef with her is the bottom and middle of the plant is larfy.

picture.php

Dutch Treat...checks all the boxes. Except one. Doesn't get you high. That's all.

picture.php

C-99...I call her HP-13 with a good yield. Medocre smoke, great smell.

picture.php

The Cheesy Thai? This is one I should drop...but I can't. It's just too damn pretty. Each run I start only one cut. Should it not root...bye bye. Every run that lone cut roots.

So...for the time being I'm stuck with her.

picture.php

oldhaole

Veteran
It was a different time.

Medical MJ?....Ha...What I do here now....then it would have netted me ten years in prison. The numbers we grew then? Twenty years.

It was a different place.

Back then Maui had only just been discovered. We were the land of the FITs (free independant travelers). Hotels were expensive....and packed. Not enough rooms. More than half of the rooms that exist now, were empty beach and vacant lots then. None of this five nights, six days, including airfare for $799 shit. If you vacationed here you had bucks.

Maui was in the middle of a transformation. The plantations were on the wane. Tourism was the way of the future. Anyone living here could see one lifestyle dying....and a new economy starting.
Hawaii has always been a boom or bust place....the next boom was underway.

In reality Maui is two islands connected by a ribbon of asphalt. East and West. West was tourism, jobs, money. East was still untouched by the boom. It was where everyone lived. People that lived on the West side would head East once a week or so. Unless you worked there, people from the East side seldom went West.

Did I mention the wayback machine was back from the shop? No? Well. Do you blame me after what happened last time?

Too late now...get out....we're here already.

We had already pulled one lazy crop from the West side. I used the windfall to buy the obligitory Toyota pickup. It's in the contract. Any straight male between the ages of 20 to 30 had to buy at least one Toyota pickup.

My partner lifted it, changed the gears, bigger tires, limited slip front end, positrack in back....camo paint job with all the chrome removed. This truck looked at the berms and laughed....they weren't gonna stop us.....we were ready for Lahina.

My friend's mom had a house right next to the main road. We'd sit there, drink beer, smoke joints, and watch the traffic on the cane road. One day when momsy was at work we tore down a piece her fence, slapped some hinges on it and put it back. Instant gate.

Sundays were always slow on the main road. After noon there was nobody on it. After a few weeks of watching we we sure. Sunday was the day.

The next Sunday we drove the truck thru the yard...and thru the gate. We were in. The whole place was at our fingertips. Lahina was ours. And things would never be the same.

That's it...everyone still with me?

Wayback machine works. Heard that before. So I had to test it out.

Wait a minute...that's it? WTF? That's all?

No that's not it...nowhere even close to it. But that's all the story I have for you tonight.

oldhaole

Veteran
It was a different time.

Medical MJ?....Ha...What I do here now....then it would have netted me ten years in prison. The numbers we grew then? Twenty years.

It was a different place.

Back then Maui had only just been discovered. We were the land of the FITs (free independant travelers). Hotels were expensive....and packed. Not enough rooms. More than half of the rooms that were exist now, were empty beach and vacant lots then. None of this five nights, six days, including airfare for $799 shit. If you vacationed here you had bucks.

Maui was in the middle of a transformation. The plantations were on the wane. Tourism was the way of the future. Anyone living here could see one lifestyle dying....and a new economy starting. Hawaii has always been a boom or bust place....and like it or not the next boom was underway.

In reality Maui is two islands connected by a ribbon of asphalt. East and West. Both sides grew sugarcane. West was tourism, jobs, money. East was still untouched by the boom. It was where everyone lived. People that lived on the West side would head East once a week or so. Unless you worked there, people from the East side seldom went West.

Did I mention the wayback machine was back from the shop? No? Well. Do you blame me after what happened last time?

Too late now...get out....we're here already.

We had already pulled one lazy crop from the West side. I used the windfall to buy the obligitory Toyota pickup. It's in the contract. Any straight male between the ages of 20 to 30 had to buy at least one Toyota pickup.

My partner lifted it, changed the gears, bigger tires, limited slip front end, positrack in back....camo paint job with all the chrome removed. This truck looked at the berms and laughed....they weren't gonna stop us.....we were ready for Lahina.

My friend's mom had a house right next to the main road. We'd sit there, drink beer, smoke joints, and watch the traffic on the cane road. One day when momsy was at work we tore down a piece her fence, slapped some hinges on it and put it back. Instant gate.

Sundays were always slow on the main road. After noon there was nobody on it. After a few weeks of watching we we sure. Sunday was the day.

The next Sunday afternoon we drove the truck thru the yard...and thru the gate. We were in. The whole place was at our fingertips. Lahina was ours. And things would never be the same.

That's it...everyone still with me?

Wayback machine works. Heard that before. So I had to test it out.

Wait a minute...that's it? WTF? That's all?

No that's not it...nowhere even close to it. But that's all the story I have for you tonight.

Don't worry, be happy....it's gonna be a long grow....I'll find the time to tell it.

Wayback machine .... Awesome time w a good story!!

GEMiNi... GH flies once a month or so, starting in April and ending in November Since the law defines a "mature" plant as one with visable flowers, they will do the warrantless searchs late August. Most plants at that point have flowers but are too early to harvest...that's when they can do the most damage with the least work..

I am thinking of only a greenhouse roof. We have the frames...have to look into the fabric. What's the clearest you can buy?

The suplimental light would be trouble. Perched on the side of the hill, anyone living above me would be able to look out and see the glow. Someone will ask questions. One reason I can pull this off is nobody knows about my trip. It has to stay that way.

The Valley OG? It checks all the boxes except yield. Big gaps between flowers...and the plant has a minora like structure. Gonna keep it around, growing in pots. Inground though? No.

Ahhh go figure they want the most return and least work possible .... But at least they dont fly year round bustin balls

I'd go w the polycarbonate panels if you can afford em .... Or to keep it cheaper ..... Check out discountviqueen.com ..... The cheapest I've seen for polyethylene film .... 6mil or better ..... Transmits nearly all the light ...... And it's slightly opaque

Well I wasn't thinking of dropping a t5 out for sup lighting .... I was thinking more of using solar powered walkway lights and just place 1 next to each plant .... That wouldn't look suspicious ... Not enough light produced to make anything noticeable and just enough to keep them babies vegging

That's great to hear about the Valley OG ... were there any mold/mildew issues? Yeild .... That's normal for a true OG ... golf balls all the way to the top ..... How bad did she smell?10th away could you smell her?
If you grow the valley again in the ground check out the "horizontal planting method" link in my sig ..... That would be the best way to get an OG bigger without increasing your plant numbers which is ideal ..... I'll post pics of my valley that gets that method so you can see the results ... might be worth while.

Dirtboy808

Veteran
OH Some good news NOAA says we will have dryer then normal weather April to June.
The weather here is great !!!! Now I can finish my plants like you guys do. Way back time machine I was on a boat that won the Lahina Jack Pot early 80's. We went wild in town got kicked out of the Blue Max stole too many pictures off the wall I heard they scewed them on latter.

oldhaole

Veteran
GEMiNi....Your telling me that one of those rinkydink solar driveway lights will keep a plant, set out early, in veg?

That is something I did not know. Next year I'll give it a shot.

Of all the OG,s I've grown, the Valley was most suceptable to WPM. You'll want to stay on that. Mold was a problem if you had an extended period of crap weather. No better or worse than other OGs

Our photoperiod is not long enough to put a clone into veg. The longest day is 13 hours 25 minutes. Planting horizontaly would not work, by the time the stem roots, the plant's in full flower. I do something similar with the big Sativas. The only way to increase your yield is a bigger plant, The only way to make that happen is more time under the lights.

I don't like to top plants....with the OGs you have to. That adds another four weeks of in/out hauling the girl around.

With limited plant numbers the best way to play the clone game here is to never leave a hole empty. Pull one, put another in it's place the same day.

As for the smell, outdoors, in the elements i.e. rain, plants grown outside don't reek like they do indoors. To get a nice wiff it takes a pinch.

Feel free to put up some pics of your Valley as it progresses. I'd like to know how that works where you are.

LSY...dude...long time no see. What's this?

Sure happy to see ya still on that donkey riding backwards to nowhere brother....

There...fixed it for ya. Glad to see you still alive and kickin'

Festi....what?...Do I speak the truth?
And for the record...no. When I had the truck I didn't have any dogs.
Nowdays the big thing is a dog cage in the back.

Dirtboy....feels great doesn't it? Perfect weather. No pressure to take anything....the buds get fatter with each sunny day. No rain, no mold...there is a god.

Here's been...ehhh. We were closer to the front that stalled and soaked Oahu. High clouds, no rain, voggy as hell. Another weak front is heading our way this weekend....it won't reach you so I'd bet your nice weather holds.

Were you crew or angeler? The Blue Max...that brings back memories. We got 86'ed from there for throwing ashtrays at the police cars crusing Front Street.

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
so happy to be reading your words again OH. i hope this season brings you much peace and prosperity. keep on truckin!

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
"one of those rinkydink solar driveway lights will keep a plant, set out early, in veg?"

I doubt it.
However, there are solar light that will.
The resorts use them to light up Monkey pod canopys and the sides of buildings.
They come on at dusk and run about 4-6 hours.

Don't need that long to stay in veg., so set the cells in partial shade and they'll give ya 2 -3 hours, yah?

They're not cheap, ~ $40. but should last several seasons.
I'm about to go research them for the Horse.

Downside?
I'm guessing they might attract moths.
That might cause a budworm bloom?
Dunno, haven't tried it yet.

Got my own problems.

Damn root aphids are back!

RA.jpg
R A eggs.jpg

Scored some nematodes.
Nemo toad.jpg
We're goin' huntin' fer micro-gophers together.
When I get the population down I'll hit the stragglers with a fungus/bacteria cocktail drench.
Unless you have a cheaper and easier fix.

Aloha,
Wee

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bayer tree and shrub
id realy prefer to reccommend merit 75wp for aphid eradication but its a bit more to prodcure...

the bayer is at home depot/lowes/ace.... contains active ingredient imidsomethingorother.... kills aphids dead and is systemic. ONLY IN VEG
dose is at 10ml Bayer per G water feed to run off, repeat next time pots are dry, and be safe for a while.
ONLY IN VEG!!!!

with the seaon changing it seems like we got bug explosion happening...
i got hit with mites and aphids and gnats all at once.
fuck em all they will die

its not organic.
but it does work..... like a fucking charm

hey chunky sorry again for going off on you/at you
no matter how much pot i smoke, i am still an asshole at heart.
my bad.
hahahahaha

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Mahalo GS

I used imid on the veggers and it has worked in the past.

These bastids came in the new coco.
When I figured that out, I hit them with IMID right away.
They laughed at it.
Looks like they are getting resistant.

And my flower girls are hosed.
Won't use Imidacloprid out doors anyway, it can kill entire colonies of honeybees and all the natural predators!

So, T-90, itty, microscopic, pointy nosed, worms are in play.
They seek out das unter-borg and turn them into ferts.

Bought a few billion spores of a fungi for the mop up operation.
I'll take photos of the carnage through the scope.
Right now, I'm trying to shoot a micro-movie of a nematode attack.
Gonna need a lot more luck than I've had. :)

Thanks for the good advice.
Imid did work with the last batch.

Aloha, y'all

Weeze

Last edited:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hoooo shit
what kinda coco if you dont mind me asking?

OH ... you may need more than just 1 ... Probably 2 per plant if only to be on for an extra couple hrs ..... Just to match what Yo veg them at indoors(16,18,20,ect) .....

Weezard made a good point that bugs may be attracted ..... So 1 step forward and 2 back ...... Im in an urban area so I have flood lights that come on till about 11pm .... That keeps em in veg for me .... But in late July I have to shade the plants at sunset till 6am so they will go into flower as there are street lights near by.

Have you guys tried met52 or anything like that for your bug issues or is that not allowed on the islands?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
GEMiNi....Your telling me that one of those rinkydink solar driveway lights will keep a plant, set out early, in veg?

That is something I did not know. Next year I'll give it a shot.

OH, while I will not claim to be the originator of this idea, I think I've got it dialed in as well as anyone. Check this pic and you can clearly see the lights I use to keep my girls in veg from August to May (my growing season)

Now, my caveats: these are not solar, but low voltage lights that I've used for 4 years now. They started off as (2) cheapy 10 light sets from Home Depot with fixed transformers and 4 watt bulbs in each fixture.

I've upgraded both transformers in wattage as well as upgrading each bulb to 10 watt and they do the trick without drawing undue attention. The light fixtures are cheap plastic, and that only lasts so long here when they are blasted by the sun every day, so at some point I'll have to replace 20 fixtures with more expensive metal ones, but it will be well worth it.

I can control my plants veg/flower cycle as well as any indoor grower - I just can't get max veg growth in Dec/Jan due to the lack of daylight and light intensity.

It actually makes it quite easy to flower at any time as these run all night long, no matter when I put plants to flower (Move them away from the supplemental lighting), they respond quickly to the change.

If you look closely you'll see that as the plants get taller, I use PVC pipe to elevate some of the lights so they get supplemental light from top to bottom - I also turn them 1/2 turn every week to equalize any difference in lighting.

I'm not sure how you'd adapt this to your trees, but you may be able to figure out how to keep you clones outside so you're not humping them in and out.

Last edited:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Wow! A LSY post!!! :wave:

Damn OH, I must be STUCK in the way back machine!!!!! I picked up my 6th toyota last week. Started with a Celica, old school, wish it had been the GT fast back, but for $100 I couldn't complain. Had a 98 Tacoma 4x2, then got into the 4x4's.... 86 standard cab, 84 extra cab, and 87 4runner. All built for rock crawling. Still have the 87, and just scored an 85 4runner from original owner for 500, then proceeded to DRIVE it home!!! :D My buddy tells me I stole it from them at that price. I'm inclined to agree.

oldhaole

Veteran
Yet another cold front, just like the one last week, is digging down....again, it won't reach us, we get the hit or miss rain caught up in the pre-frontal bands ahead of it. We get the vog, and pop up anywhere late afternoon showers. Yesterday the rain missed us to the North....by about a mile. Today it barely caught us...majority missed us South. We have two more days of this comming down the pike....then it looks like a change is ahead.

Looking further out...after this front passes....the jet stream straightens out. More a normal Summer pattern than Spring...that with a little luck, things should dry out. Another sure sign of the approaching Summer....the yields are going up...the last few plants have yielded over three a pop.

So....the collective groupthink says a slightly souped up garden light....or two.... will keep an early girl in veg. Sounds reasonable. Next March we'll give it a shot...

Well...

Here we are...

A mere 120 posts into it...

And we are finally getting to the Sativas. I know I'm behind schedule. This should have been done a month ago.

The first wave Of Jack x Kush only had two girls grow....and a whole pile of males. Those went into the garden, where one was promptly topped by the mutts. The other is almost three ft. The next wave of Blood X Thai, pictured below, will go into the gulch....just as soon as they show sex. Since I'm running late I'm gonna have to push the issue by putting them in the dark each evening at 6 PM. That should move things along....just in case the natural photoperiod fails to do the trick.

picture.php

Out in the gulch, all the clones on the North side have been taken. That is the winter side...this time of year it is all shaded. Those holes will be shut down for the Summer. Each has the rootball removed and the hole has been filled with compost. Leave the water on, and put them to sleep. The South side has been planted and the first plants are close to ready....

picture.php

picture.php

This Guerilla Glue is at day 50.

picture.php

And an Unknown OG at day 53.

picture.php

Behind those are a Skunkdog x Japaneese Hash. More Indica dom, they should go off early.

Gee guys...I'd like to have some helpfull suggestions on how to get rid of root aphids....but I've never dealt with them before. Coco is not my forte. What you guys do I compare to a nine course French dinner. Start with a neutral medium...and bring the courses out one at a time...according to a strict protocall.

What I do is the equivelent to dinner at Golden Coral. Buffet style. Everything is put out and the plants serve themselves. Want some more Nitrogen? Your roots ain't broke. Help yourself...

Dinner at Grey's cost $150 per plant. Dinner at my place? 15 bucks...includes tax and tip.

GH should fly next week. I'll refrain from planting the Sativa starts until after they fly. Another batch of cuts have rooted so the next clone wave is underway. Since I just pulled four, their replacements are ready and will be put in tomorrow. They should be immature when they fly again....if they bother to check.