What's new

Northern Outdoor Strains

S

sonofsour

Yeah stuck in the middle of the country. I agree the Friesland has great potential, many growers have ruined its reputation by growing kilos and kilos of commercial schwag. Friesland grown with love tastes good, and the high keeps me moving all day with no burnout.

Nice, Ontario is the best. I agree all the big runs of the friesland kind of gave it a bad rep, I remember like 6 years ago I know a guy who did very small runs and this stuff was super sticky, glads out the ying yang and smelt so fresh and piny in a good way, like a fricken pine tree had a baby with it.

You coming down to Toronto for the expo?

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Nice, Ontario is the best. I agree all the big runs of the friesland kind of gave it a bad rep, I remember like 6 years ago I know a guy who did very small runs and this stuff was super sticky, glads out the ying yang and smelt so fresh and piny in a good way, like a fricken pine tree had a baby with it.

You coming down to Toronto for the expo?

No expos for me, I lay low. Once we throw Harper out and legalize I will be all over the expos and cups.

54 N is quite a ways up! I would recommend finding some local clones if possible. What date does frost first hit up there?

Not too sure as I haven't done a run outdoor up here. Or ever for that matter.

And as far as I know no one around here has cuts or even grows. There isn't even a shop that sells nutes or anything grow related except home depot and cdn tire

Canada

I have a few outdoor tips for ya .

Don't waste time digging and watering all the time . Build a raised bed out of osb board and make the bed 8' x'4 and make it 1' tall and fill that bed with 90% peatmoss then add like 10 handfuls of dolomite lime . If you don't have access to nutes buy some time release pellets for tomato plants form Canadian tire add time release to top 2 inches of soil .

I got to super store or sobeys and buy Ten 70 litres bags of super soil ( peat moss)for $7 each . The bed will hold 224 gallons of soil ., more then enough to grow a few monsters .

I then add 2 - 16 plants depending on the time of year ( june 1st 2 clones or 4 seeds - july1st 8 clones or 16 seeds .

I then add a little channel around the 1 foot walls of the bed ( looks like a rain gutter going around the bed ) and line the channel with rock salt the same salt you use on ice . This creates a slug free happy zone for your plants Beware do not get salt into your raised bed your plant will die .

Peat moss will take a while to get good and wet so plant your clones or seeds right befor a few days of rain and you wont have to bring so much water.

I have used this in the past and I never had to water . A lot of people growing in Canada over water there plants. We get more then enough rain if you don't have a lot of perlite in your raised beds .

The cost for a box is as followed

1 4x8 sheet of osb $12 ( cut into 1x4 stripes for easy acess and transport 6 strips to make a 4x8x1 bed )
10 bags of super soil $70
1 8' 2x4 $3 ( used to stake and join the 6 sides of the bed together )
nutes $20 (giga green all purpose 20kg does me all season)
screws $ 5
10kg salt $5
9 pcs 1x2 strapping $15 ( to make the channel \ gutter )
moth balls $5 ( to keep the critters away add it the channel /gutter with salt )

total cost $135

My best yield from beds was 2 green house cheese plants ( planted from clone1ft tall 1st day of june and harvested October 7th yield was almost 4lbs .

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
This year I am also running a few untested(outside) strains outdoors. So far for untested stuff I have only chosen Blue Dream and Bubblegum. The Blue Dream is great indoors and produces nicely. I am not 100% sure if they will mature outside here. Blueberry and her relatives seem to do well outdoors here, and I expect the Blue Dream to be similar. The Bubblegum has been done outside in this climate, however I have never smoked it outdoors.
I would love to hear some more of what strains everyone else up North here is growing! Especially any seasonal and proven strains that work in a Northern climate. Lets get sprouting seeds and cloning anyway, only a couple more months until we can get outside!!

testoftime

Nice topic, I'm in about 90min north of Toronto and usually venture another 30/45min north to the golden spot. Anyway this year it's cream caramel (fv) (non-auto). Aswell as testing a few kush strains and crosses. I would like to try early skunk from sensi, has anyone gotten anything worthwhile outside above Toronto with early skunk? What's everyone doing strain-wise what genetics is everyone swearing by for up north outdoor?

Fix: its not the cream caramel "fast version" and not the auto...its the standard photo period strain containing no auto flower genetics. Which I'm glad I think the standard version will be the most potent and may even yield better in comparison vs the auto or fast version, however I have not tried them myself yet ( day 4 flower, decided to run the donor momas of cream caramel with the Scotts og.good, a white og bagseed and kush that was ultra potent just alot of seeds, I'm testing that indoor also b4 the outdoor run. . I picked up a supposed tightly held super northern outdoor strain that yields, smells with potency. "critical mass x which supposed wonder kush or emerald triangle wonder skunk" witch sounds off, but the sometimes story about a reputable person forgetting what exact cross which to me, it's not something I'd forget easily but I'm more into genetics than my friend. Anyhow its supposed to be in its 5th or 6th generation, having been worked on by older man so I though about it after getting a partial genetic info and there's no harm in trying...its supposed to finish by sepember 30th to Oct 5th depending on pheno. It's worth taking and keeping cuts till after the outdoor is done..who knows maybe it's everything my buddy described.

testoftime

This year I am also running a few untested(outside) strains outdoors. So far for untested stuff I have only chosen Blue Dream and Bubblegum. The Blue Dream is great indoors and produces nicely. I am not 100% sure if they will mature outside here. Blueberry and her relatives seem to do well outdoors here, and I expect the Blue Dream to be similar. The Bubblegum has been done outside in this climate, however I have never smoked it outdoors.
I would love to hear some more of what strains everyone else up North here is growing! Especially any seasonal and proven strains that work in a Northern climate. Lets get sprouting seeds and cloning anyway, only a couple more months until we can get outside!!

Is the blue dream from humbolt? Just curious.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Is the blue dream from humbolt? Just curious.

Yes it is, I have had good luck from HSO, I have a few keepers. There is a bit of range in the Blue Dream seeds from very DJ Short Blueberry like, all the way to more spicy Haze like flavors. Its easy growing and nice day time smoke.

Joe Rogan

but friesland and gg#3 crosses for the most part for me this year..

Do you mean Freezeland? or is friesland a completely different strain?

The best weed I have ever had was Freezeland from ontario and it was out door. I was so friggin higgghhh. I put on a huge layer of axe spray on me. Because we had an assembly at my highschool about aids and hiv the guy speaking looked like jerry sienfeld in a fat suit.

I wonder if Vancouver seed bank can get some freezeland.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes it is, I have had good luck from HSO, I have a few keepers. There is a bit of range in the Blue Dream seeds from very DJ Short Blueberry like, all the way to more spicy Haze like flavors. Its easy growing and nice day time smoke.

hey sof

i thought blue dream was a keeper pheno of blaze from bcsc renamed?

med-man

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
hey sof

i thought blue dream was a keeper pheno of blaze from bcsc renamed?

med-man

I am not sure were the original cross came from. I think HSO got the cutting and selfed it. Blaze may be the same cross(maybe identical parent plants even), but I have never seen it.

ortsa1

i have some of theses gorilla gold seeds still, there was also one other strain i cant remember the name.

my friend was growing accross the street from greenz or one of greenz friends and they were both such blaytant heat bags that they made what each others was doing and became friends and traded strains

but its an old strain it does not compare in quality what so ever to all the autoflower strains available today that finish in northern climates. 10 years ago it was a great option compared to manitoba posion or mightymite

i think someone by the nick BreederBrad may have had somthing to do with that strain as well or also did northern outdoor strains but i cant remember the names

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Do you mean Freezeland? or is friesland a completely different strain?

The best weed I have ever had was Freezeland from ontario and it was out door. I was so friggin higgghhh. I put on a huge layer of axe spray on me. Because we had an assembly at my highschool about aids and hiv the guy speaking looked like jerry sienfeld in a fat suit.

I wonder if Vancouver seed bank can get some freezeland.

Hey they are the same strain. Friesland was the original strain name, named after a cold, harsh, northern part of the Netherlands. I think the spelling Freezeland started with growers not seeing the name written. Friesland sounds like Freezeland, so they started spelling it wrong in Quebec and Ontario, now they are both used. I call it Friesland, I like to keep names as close to original as possible. If you find an old SSSC catalogue, they sold "Friesland Indica", it is likely where our cutting today originated.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Anyone grown the Purple Kush cutting we have kicking around Canada outdoors? I always assumed it would be a late finisher(end of Oct???), but have never seen her outside. I may give it a try, but I would love to know a finishing date if anyone knows.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the pk does do well.

needs a lot of sun to finish well. and get big. make sure to make for tons of pm prevention too as cold damp nights will get these arid region plants that have no immunity to coastal humidity. otherwise, the hash and the bud are impaccable under optimal condotions. the sun really brings out a different array of terpenes vs indoors :) they will get balck purple too

med-man

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Thanks medman! I figured Purple Kush would not like the wetness, but I have a few strains like that anyway. I will have to make sure I get some PK clones cut soon! Any Idea of harvest date?

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey sof

i will be honest. i know guys in hydro sog that take em in 45 days. best taste, super racey, no purp.

other guy go 10 weeks and get a charcaol taste, but very heavy, hashy purple product.

last time i ran her i put them out late, like last week of june, and i cropped first week of sept. but. they could have gone further. i take taste over purp any day of the week. i like her becuase subject to your needs, you can control it through crop times more then other types. the out door hash i made was next level. gold seal afghani, unbelievable

med-man

PARADOX

Did pk and OG last year in our greenhouse. Worked out well. Very purple come late September. Took it down oct 10. But I also had those plants flower then revert to veg then back to flower so I think It would have been an late September pull if done properly

Anyone grown the Purple Kush cutting we have kicking around Canada outdoors? I always assumed it would be a late finisher(end of Oct???), but have never seen her outside. I may give it a try, but I would love to know a finishing date if anyone knows.

PARADOX

Exactly man

the pk does do well.

needs a lot of sun to finish well. and get big. make sure to make for tons of pm prevention too as cold damp nights will get these arid region plants that have no immunity to coastal humidity. otherwise, the hash and the bud are impaccable under optimal condotions. the sun really brings out a different array of terpenes vs indoors :) they will get balck purple too

med-man