What's new

Northern Outdoor Strains

jessethestoner

I disagree, the pure gg5 ive had is some of the best Canadian outdoor ive ever had. It really does breed well in crosses.
To each there own though

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Grew Think Different last year. Wasn't good. A few good plants (out of 20+). Did yield. I just didn't like it much. Most of the plants smelled bad except for one that reeked like bubblegum (this was the best plant).

I'm sure I could have done it better, but I did some La Diva, Afghan Kush Ryder and also one Blue Mammoth as well. All of them were better quality than TD, even thought the plant counts were lower. Well, that one bubblegum plant was alright I guess.

None of it was anywhere near as good as the best indoor stuff and it didn't hold up so well to some of the best outdoor either (TW crosses, etc).

The AKR smelled like a typical Kush and was pretty frosty. Not much buzz but the looks/smell were there so maybe someone might be interested in that.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Hey everyone thanks for the input. RCMC looks like a good spot for true outdoor strains. I have seen people talking about autoflowering plants being on par with photoperiod plants. I have always highly doubted Autos could compete with regular strains. However, I know not to knock something until you try it yourself. So along with my regular fall harvest, I will be running an experiment with some freebie Autofem seeds I have collected from recent seed orders. I hope the hype is true and some of these will rival photoperiod strains, time will tell. I am going to sprout these in a day or two, hopefully they will be ready to harvest sometime in late July. Autofem seeds to start any day.....
1 White Widow x Critical+ auto - Dinafem Seeds
2 Super Cheese Auto - Positronics Seeds
4 Auto Cheese Candy - Delicious Seeds
1 Cream Caramel Auto - Blimburn Seeds
1 Auto Diesel -G13 Labs
2 AK Auto - Blimburn Seeds

ortsa1

i have some guerrilla gold lemon swiss and a few other outdoor strains that came from greens and breeder brad years back

but they got mixed in with some viles of subcools strains from when he lived in canada

so they have just been sitting in the junk drawer for years

jessethestoner

Got some more to add

Juani
(Juani x (manitoba poison x friesland)) x bubba kush
C99 clone
Alpha kush
Iron horse
Rene
Green Apple
Rene x Green Apple
A few unknown bagseed from quality bags.

Highcountry

i have some guerrilla gold lemon swiss and a few other outdoor strains that came from greens and breeder brad years back

but they got mixed in with some viles of subcools strains from when he lived in canada

so they have just been sitting in the junk drawer for years

That lemon Swiss is suppose to be some very flavourful bud. Lucky guy!

Highcountry

Got some more to add

Juani
(Juani x (manitoba poison x friesland)) x bubba kush
C99 clone
Alpha kush
Iron horse
Rene
Green Apple
Rene x Green Apple
A few unknown bagseed from quality bags.

Rene is really nice outdoors, has to be tarped to finish in my area. Really nice smoke!

jessethestoner

Rene is really nice outdoors, has to be tarped to finish in my area. Really nice smoke!

Good to hear, ive only got a few going right outside because I didnt know how theyd do outside here.(Alberta) and I need a greenhouse to finish something like that properly.

I shouldve vegged more for the great covered outdoors. :comfort:

Rinse

Veteran
not sure why anyone is messing with non autoflower strains anymore in northern outdoors..

get your self low ryder crosses and you will be very happy with the results. only draw back is you gotta plant 3 times as much plants.

but the quality is there

More like 10 times the plants, for me anyway, auto's have been very poor yielding although I agree some of the new auto's compete with photo's in smoke quality.

Early photo strains are still the way imo, Late september is perfect harvest time anyway unless your real high up.

Auto's are just not as weather hardy, bug, or mold resistant...
Having said that I've seen the northern bred auto's do wonders at latitudes above 55N.

This year im running in the outdoors/greenhouse, some of the following
Coastal Gold
Guerilla Gold #s 1, 2 & 5
G-warp
Goldenmasterwonderskunk
Goldenmasterwonderskunk x bubba kush
C-warp
Goldenmasterbrambleskunk
And some more im forgetting.

Im also going to force flower a few strains I think will do well in the great outdoors as long as they can be finished in time

Awesome strains I have some Gold warp and Gwarp Im looking forward too.

jessethestoner

Thanks, for autos this year I went for bearhill and white buffalo collective. Both good Canadian outdoors breeders so I know ill get some good stuff.

It was funny last year my goldenbrambleskunka were very pungent and some smelled very similar to some of the pk and bubba kush ive seen going around, I had a few friends mistake it for some kind of outdoor kush

testoftime

Nice topic, I'm in about 90min north of Toronto and usually venture another 30/45min north to the golden spot. Anyway this year it's cream caramel (fv) (non-auto). Aswell as testing a few kush strains and crosses. I would like to try early skunk from sensi, has anyone gotten anything worthwhile outside above Toronto with early skunk? What's everyone doing strain-wise what genetics is everyone swearing by for up north outdoor?

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Friesland and 2014 strains

Friesland and 2014 strains

I am growing Friesland again this year. Last year all our Friesland was harvested before September 10th. We had an overgrown mother plant we flowered outside , she was harvested August 26 and smoked good.
I think Friesland matures faster if you veg it for a while before flowering. I will keep growing this as my early year strain for years to come. I like to do a range of strains so everything is harvested at different times. It evens out the work load, and gives me more variety. Friesland is my go to early outdoor strain.
Indoors I am working on quite a few crosses with the Friesland as well. My basic goal is to up the potency while keeping it clear headed and not lazy. Then in the taste department try to keep the citrus type flavors of Friesland but try to bring out a little more sweet and sour orange flavor.
This year I am also doing Chemo(Oct 20-30), Northern Lights(Oct 10-20) , and Early Wonder/Skunk x Hashplant(Oct 1-10). These are all proven and great Indicas. Also a couple proven hybrids, Blueberry (Oct 10-20) and Cindy99 (Oct 1-10)....and a few more I have yet to decide....

Sounds like a good selection Seeds! I have a few beans on the way but unsure of what they are. Was just told they're early outdoor finishers.

I'd like to get another 10 fem seeds to plant in pots outdoors as well. I need to find some sort of semi-auto watering system as I won't be able to get to them more than once a week.

Any suggestions for a high yielding high potency early finishing strain? I'm way up around 54N so I'm sure that def shortens my options. I also assume I may have to tarp them? I've never done outdoor so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

S

sonofsour

I am growing Friesland again this year. Last year all our Friesland was harvested before September 10th. We had an overgrown mother plant we flowered outside , she was harvested August 26 and smoked good.
I think Friesland matures faster if you veg it for a while before flowering. I will keep growing this as my early year strain for years to come. I like to do a range of strains so everything is harvested at different times. It evens out the work load, and gives me more variety. Friesland is my go to early outdoor strain.
Indoors I am working on quite a few crosses with the Friesland as well. My basic goal is to up the potency while keeping it clear headed and not lazy. Then in the taste department try to keep the citrus type flavors of Friesland but try to bring out a little more sweet and sour orange flavor.
This year I am also doing Chemo(Oct 20-30), Northern Lights(Oct 10-20) , and Early Wonder/Skunk x Hashplant(Oct 1-10). These are all proven and great Indicas. Also a couple proven hybrids, Blueberry (Oct 10-20) and Cindy99 (Oct 1-10)....and a few more I have yet to decide....

You in Ontario? I was just thinking last night someone needs to rework the Friesland. Some people do not like the Friesland but I think it has so much potential, I have seen some super batches of it before.

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
I save some pollen just for her this summer .. My pollen come from a precious male named "Blue Rush" A cross btw my super early herijuana cut x a super vigourus Blueberry Sativa

The females out of that cross, give potent cerebral high, in a stretchy plant, big nugg loaded in crystal, even some F2 are on the way

Got even some sinai, egypt. Which is veggin nicely!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
You in Ontario? I was just thinking last night someone needs to rework the Friesland. Some people do not like the Friesland but I think it has so much potential, I have seen some super batches of it before.

Yeah stuck in the middle of the country. I agree the Friesland has great potential, many growers have ruined its reputation by growing kilos and kilos of commercial schwag. Friesland grown with love tastes good, and the high keeps me moving all day with no burnout.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Sounds like a good selection Seeds! I have a few beans on the way but unsure of what they are. Was just told they're early outdoor finishers.

I'd like to get another 10 fem seeds to plant in pots outdoors as well. I need to find some sort of semi-auto watering system as I won't be able to get to them more than once a week.

Any suggestions for a high yielding high potency early finishing strain? I'm way up around 54N so I'm sure that def shortens my options. I also assume I may have to tarp them? I've never done outdoor so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

54 N is quite a ways up! I would recommend finding some local clones if possible. What date does frost first hit up there?