What's new

Northern Lights: info/pics wanted

hereigrow

Well I have grown KC Brains Northern Light Special and Sensis Northern Lights.
The KC Brains one used to be very good, a short indica plant with wide leaves, very frosty.
This was about 15 years ago.
But I grew it again last year and it seems a lot different, not so indica and not that frosty.
Doesn't seem like the same plant.
Sensi's NL is nowhere near a full indica, in fact some of the phenotypes were quite sativa.
But very vigorous plant, and quite frosty.
Nirvana's NL was not much good, had a distinct lack of vigour and not much can be said for it.
I also grew Nirvana's NLxBig Bud; Big Buds? Hell it grew no buds.
That's right, it didn't grow buds. While all the other strains around it were budding along nicely it simply didn't grow buds, none. Just the odd preflower.
And yet they were the most vigorous plants with huge fan leaves, but they just didn't grow buds for some reason. Something wrong there somewhere.

I ran nirvana nl x bb. I had totally opposite experience. Found two nice phenos tasted great and really stoney. That was like 12 years ago though.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Nirvana has a good version of NL.Always been a favorite of mine, Dr.atomic def been on my to do list.Nice to see people somewhat getting of the kush's nutz, and to top it off chimera is having a go at NL breeding project. The future looks bright. Old school rules NL is one of the best indoor strains ever. Compact, low odor,fast flower, and potent enough for most.

Nirvana Northern Lights x Shiva :dance013: (from seed boutique Nov 2011)

Dirt Life

Veteran
^ I second the Nirvana Nl/shiva, got a great keeper out of a pack. Back in the day, it seemed to me that Nirvana breeding co was a carbon copy the positronic seed bank. I always assumed they were just F2's of positronic seeds, course that's only speculation on my part.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
A must for the indoor grower.Northern Lights dominates for many years several harvest festivals.By carefully selection we've achieved to develop one of the world's powerful plants and we've created with the Northern Lights a variety that is very suitable for indoor growing; short powerful plants with good yields within a short time.

Flowering: 45-50 days
Height: 100-125 cm
Yield: till 125 gr
price: fl 200,-

Sensi Seed catalog 1991

Keep on growing :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
So have we come to a conclusion yet...talking to the pros here....on which nl growers should invest their time and money in?

G

Gunnlæif

So have we come to a conclusion yet...talking to the pros here....on which nl growers should invest their time and money in?

i'm interested in what chimera does with the stock he has. it would be nice to have something like what nl5 was when i first grew her. :woohoo:

Chillb

I want to see Chimera's goods too! (no not those goods!)

What's best to invest in right now? ... good question ... for me it's none of the current Northern Lights available.

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
I have a pack of Classic Seeds Northern Lights #1 going right now. I'll post once they get into flower and harvested and let you all know how they are looking and end up. I've heard a lot of good things about Classic's NL #1 and his other gear.
I'm picking up a 20 something year old clone of Northern Lights #1 and a few other nice strains this week. Been waiting quite awhile for this girl!

Peace,
KF

Noggone

Depends what type of smoke you want I suppose; Sensi's is a pleasant relaxing high; while other more indica ones may be more couchlock.

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Here are some pics of what i was handed as "the NL#5 clone, straight out of Sensi Seeds mother-room"

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

not a big fan of the northern lights, but i sure love the nlxskunk pheno of jack herer, though in general i vastly prefer the hazexskunk side of jack/ssh to the nlxhaze side...

Mister_D

Veteran
I have a pack of Classic Seeds Northern Lights #1 going right now. I'll post once they get into flower and harvested and let you all know how they are looking and end up. I've heard a lot of good things about Classic's NL #1 and his other gear.
I'm picking up a 20 something year old clone of Northern Lights #1 and a few other nice strains this week. Been waiting quite awhile for this girl!

Peace,
KF

Doing a grow log for those northern lights?

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok kewl Nog......wasn't sure what all was being said so thnx for the word...did you see the 3 `95 Sensi Inline NL Bart made I showed?...all 3 of those pheoms are from aprox that same circa...
now on Sativas or tall NLs, my tallest were All males as well...
which naturally have a tendancy to shoot to be above the ladies in a open polly..Now add NL males to a room with Sativas and they will try to reach over them as well....logical?... I dont think ppl think these plants are as smart as these plants really are IMO...heh....but happy huntin indeed man....

Personally when I hunt genetics..I start at the closest regional Source.....so regional Source for NL lines is PNW and in what was posted even the local..Northern Lights' was made in Washington State.
UW(U-dub? dub = W?) has been said to be along these lines to correct?...that may be the whole g13 mess tho...just goin off PNW tho..
So start there...my way happened by smokin local American NLs on every corner thru the late 90s...for NL seed we tried Canadian stock first...then Euro...then back to American...Best most comparable form I found was BCSC ver..2nd was NL lines based outa Canada but not seed Co related....3rd was the old Cali-NL but it was huge!...not Thai thin but like KingKong of NL...heh...scary plant...Never seen 1 quite like that since and the pictured was shown and she was a beauty...I just lost her due to life...
never ben real happy with any Nirv NLs...never tried KCB but have heard both good, great and bad...DrA's is worthy for sure...
Havm't tried oasis but Im very curious o the point Ive almost ordered it least 4x...just havn't pushed that button..
Now after it all the Pacific/Clips pools Im finding most relevant and I'll swim in that pool at some point...kinda lost my drive for NLs and didnt get back to them..but Ive run other really limited Clips NL hybs and know I gata get back in there...
and hey Joey's weed had a decent NL to right?...any final word on his?... man he seemed to really blow up and then just vanish...
also Interested in the Classic seeds ver..even tho that kid seems a lil excited for what he's talk...gets a lil wild in there..
but def hope he shows what he's claiming...its a big claim to follow...hope that helps tho and also curious what Chimera does..
Im not skeerd of any NL but its def gata have that brain melty feeling that I know it best for...:biggrin:
FOE20

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are some pics of what i was handed as "the NL#5 clone, straight out of Sensi Seeds mother-room"

View Image

View Image

View Image

not a big fan of the northern lights, but i sure love the nlxskunk pheno of jack herer, though in general i vastly prefer the hazexskunk side of jack/ssh to the nlxhaze side...

Awesome pics! as always :tiphat:

Here´s a Thai dominant sativa hybrid...Destroyer :dance013:

prxd_2047642.jpg

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
Awesome pics! as always :tiphat:

Here´s a Thai dominant sativa hybrid...Destroyer

hola raco :D

nice to read you!

cool, that pic shows nicely what the nl and the SE asian sativas have in common: the silver trichomes. i think i would like the nl a lot better if it would also share other qualities like taste and effect with the thais - as it is i vastly prefer the destroyer!

a friend just finished some nlxhaze from sensi seed stock of the 90ies, i think a destroyer x ot haze would outperform the nlxhaze any day...

here's some silver trichomes of destroyer for you maestro :)

picture.php

and the bud they grew on:

picture.php

buenas vibras

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok.....heh....NL has been known to have some of the Largest stalked Trichome glands "resin heads"....which has been well documented..
Another reason that I feel no association with Thai which can prod some of the smallest most minute resin heads..
when or as a cannabis plant matures resins will naturally go from clear to White,...as they degrade they become amber...
I pull almost all my plants when they turn "white"...but not cause their related to any line...its a normal process for maturing buds on a pot plant....kinda some Pot basics 101 there tho...not sure gettin any connection to NL tho...
I could pull up quite a few images that match those....actually have a KillaQueen that could damn near match the head pic shown...
most those images just are well lit...proper lighting...the resin heads on most are clear tho...its allot of refracted light in the images....
sorry not tryin to nit pic but just keepin it real to...

from what I recall or have grown theres 2 ver of a BBxNL or NLxBB....BBerry x NL is a hybrid thats floating around and might of also been a seed co release to....Ive ran it and not a very impressive phenom for our local..
NLxBB was a NL x BigBud hybrid...quite relative to NL as BigBud is sorta a NL-HashPlant off shoot IMO...2 diff growing hybs tho...the NLxBBud was another made to crop Indoor strain as is all NL lines.....the BBeryxNL grows much more mixed in traits n form...as your basically adding Thai to NL at that point by having any Blues within..
FOE20

Last edited:

Sideshow-Bob

Veteran
ok.....heh....NL has been known to have some of the Largest stalked Trichome glands "resin heads"....which has been well documented..
Another reason that I feel no association with Thai which can prod some of the smallest most minute resin heads..
when or as a cannabis plant matures resins will naturally go from clear to White,...as they degrade they become amber...
I pull almost all my plants when they turn "white"...but not cause their related to any line...its a normal process for maturing buds on a pot plant....kinda some Pot basics 101 there tho...not sure gettin any connection to NL tho...
I could pull up quite a few images that match those....actually have a KillaQueen that could damn near match the head pic shown...
most those images just are well lit...proper lighting...the resin heads on most are clear tho...its allot of refracted light in the images....
sorry not tryin to nit pic but just keepin it real to...

from what I recall or have grown theres 2 ver of a BBxNL or NLxBB....BBerry x NL is a hybrid thats floating around and might of also been a seed co release to....Ive ran it and not a very impressive phenom for our local..
NLxBB was a NL x BigBud hybrid...quite relative to NL as BigBud is sorta a NL-HashPlant off shoot IMO...2 diff growing hybs tho...the NLxBBud was another made to crop Indoor strain as is all NL lines.....the BBeryxNL grows much more mixed in traits n form...as your basically adding Thai to NL at that point by having any Blues within..
FOE20

Ok, i think it's clear we're talking nuances here! :D

the silver hue i'm talking about is independent from the process of trichome maturing of going from clear to amber (that also plays a part in how silver a bud looks of course), but it's a certain quality of the resin that makes the plant and their buds appear silverish (along with differences in the green-matter of the plant)

now of course you can find silver phenos in most any cannbis gene pool (just like black, red, purple, blue, golden, etc) what i was getting at is the assumption that silver phenos appear more often in the SE asian gene pool than in other gene pools - though i have to admit that destroyer is not the best example for this - destroyer is more a golden-pheno/line...

nevertheless where i'm from the nl#5 is known to produce light-green, silver buds:

picture.php

here's a better example of silver resin on a plant with se asian blood (amnesia haze)

21805Amnesia-makro-med.jpg

i'm not saying to take this as a proof that nl#5 contains thai-genes (i thought this was pretty much accepted as fact...) merely suggesting that in the silver hue one could imagine to see these thai genes :)

nO5 is the only Northern Lights that's really dank imo.Heard nO9 was also good but never tried that.
Grew Northern lights[r] from sensi seeds in 2000.Mountain of a yield but NOT the nO5 in taste. The old grape taste of nO5 is easily identified and gorgeous.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beetlejuice is that a mis-type NL5?..n"O"?....I didnt get a grape taste in NL5s..for me it was like a rich Evergreen or Juniper Pine as the orig docs always seems to mention..I always hunted for and associated NLs Ive smoked with those docs/reports as well as my own ventures..but agreed..NL1 seems to me to be a better than Avr Aff#1...NL2 who knows..as said Im guessin HKush..NL5 the best of 2 distinct lines...so even then NL5 would show variation but it should be low and was always said to show very consistent and has for me....
NL9 was Sagar and a off shoot of the NL lines all together..Ive spoken to Tony on those and he's actually advised me to work NL5 instead...but Im not goin to...not like everyone else done..its just not my way..but we all have our own ways as well...keep at it man

indeed SideshowBob....hell thats the part I wana talk on..is all the lil seem to be over looked details..
I got ya tho...yea I know a few lines that may as well be strait called Silver Backs..man that Destroyer kinda looks like the osSSH when run a certain way to...funky...
check this out...heres the KQueen head I felt loked like we had sister plants...heh...but as seen its not and yea this is sort of a silver surfer to...shown at 9-9-11 and then again at 9-18-11....at 9-9 it was almost more silver...but I mature my herb pertty far so it goes caramel on the end if its for my MED folk or personal..

Sorry for tangents...NLs rock ass....just find a good station, DJ and get to playin it..
FOE20

Attachments

• KQueenHead_09-09-11.jpg
    KQueenHead_09-09-11.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 9
  • KQueenFull1_09-09-11.jpg
    KQueenFull1_09-09-11.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 9
  • KQueenHead1_09-18-11.jpg
    KQueenHead1_09-18-11.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: