What's new

Northern Lights: info/pics wanted

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got this cut back in 84'. It never had a name but it was all I grew for many years. I liked the way it grows fast and it had great yields and was easy to trim, the high was balanced. Only negative was a mild skunky smell. Does it look at all like NL? Anyway I inbred it 14 times I think to save the genetics. Not once in all those years did it ever produce any male flowers so it is super stable.

picture.php

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ventura actually a Skunk/NL would be in just as high demand in certain parts..and was 1 of the first NL hybs to boot..along with g13, Haze, etc...funny part about the scene..is some folk have no idea what they really have..and that is also a blessing in disguise in most cases..and what you show seriously looks like a NL/Skunk...heh..hell I'd try it...

gratzi for any props and yes some look beat up...Let me give you a view..for 1 when NL came out is was the easiest outa the latest new things just only being avail in seed forms..
What Ive grown and seen grown are quite a few variations as shown..Just note also Nitrogen and NLs are tricky as this will cause very different expressions and forms..this is all able to change by Enviro/phenom type easily..But were still always after that NL type effect which where I come from has been quite body-thick and heavy....I feel this is relative to the HP and Affi sides and not a Thai influence tho..If you wana see a slim blade Paki check Esbens work...Which is what happens when you grow a Paki further N...now acclimate it to Dutch climate and what will you have?...

Heres a quick run down for those who want to note phenom expressions..
Just so were all clear NL is a bitch strain..If you held it or ran it for yrs after a while it gets abused..spaced off...treated lie a step child...So a good amount of the images are plants that just didnt get much love..heh...and really back then I posted to get help on issues I felt need attention to improve on each grow..But for the most part its so easy to grow it shard to screw it up...
When yo see the fried or def looking plants most of the time it was me testing new prod and methods ranging from DWC to rich organic soil beds..P-K tests, the whole Humbolt nute line..heh...all kinds of R&D on lines we were just checkin out...But Ive doc'd these lines more than prob any other lines out there..maybe Blues a close 2nd..
The main NL#5 shown most is a select phenom from a 10 pk or more of early rel of bcsc's NL#5 Reef(pure)...bought from Emory or HS
later a good friend gifted me another pk of BCSC NL#5 which was said made by BCSC and had not gone thru Reefs hands..
There was a bit of diff in the Firms..although the profiles effect and funk were quite similar...I considered both seed lots to be great examples of early NL lines..
The Old Cali NL shown is from Cali and is 1 if not the oldest dated NL in seed form...I grew a few and lost the remainder of the seed..not happy with myself....But the old Cali-NL was less squat and didnt stay quite as short as the Reef ver..
Personally I dont care if Reef made them first or BCSC or who bought n sold to who...
All that mattered was cultivar quality...and for the most part most of the phenoms were quite uniform and had grown very relative to all early reports of NL's..
the 1 noted as Local NL or MNL(Mikes NL) is DrAtomic - Lime ver..
so ones noted as NL#5 is the bcsc Reef(pure)...the ones noted as (bcsc)NL#5 are the pure BCSC ver...savvy?...

So heres what I get...The orig line was mixed but completely Indica dom..But it was split 2 or 3 ways as most assume...
I believe it was a Afghan, HinduKush and a possible Paki HP...pre-curser to HP#1 and BigBud if you wana get picky..All my own assumptions tho..
But this pool screams Indica and would easily prod the possible progeny were all talking mostly on..The Thai claim still doesn't fit within it for me tho..
I would say Lumbo way before Thai...but Im not...

For where to get a great NL..as said its you choice...for me Im seeing decent types in Sensi's but Im only 1/2 way thru testing them....But really so far they are performing very well..I mean folk can talk shit but the plants are sayin diff...Not sure I will use this line tho so its just a view as my prob is their acclimation...Just saying they should do best for mostly Northern growers like Canadians and Dutch...
But what Im after is still based from the American ver...and I plan to keep it there...I'll even open my stock for ya...
For me Pacific and Clips and a few other PNW folk knew what was up...I'll stick with that.....grow um if ya find um..and then enjoy um

Heres some of the work Ive done direct with NL lines...
NL2k#5 - NL#5 (early bcsc)x NL#5 (later bcsc) all make in later 2000....yes these seeds were made and in very limited amounts..gifted away for free...
NL5xakDSDv2
Nui - NL#5 x LUI
NTO - NorthernTexas Ortega - NL#5 x Ortega (first run)
NL#5 x LemonShark(GWS/HP) - BC Bomber
FOE20

Attachments

• NLoverview2_10-27-12.jpg
    NLoverview2_10-27-12.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BHead-NL5bushsTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    BHead-NL5bushsTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 7
  • NLlines1_02-06-12.jpg
    NLlines1_02-06-12.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9
  • NLlines2.jpg
    NLlines2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 16
  • NL5almostDWC_03-09-08.jpg
    NL5almostDWC_03-09-08.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 10
  • NL5headbud2_03-09-08.jpg
    NL5headbud2_03-09-08.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 11
  • NL5fullbodTKOdwc_03-09-08.jpg
    NL5fullbodTKOdwc_03-09-08.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 10
  • NL5dwcTKOHeadbud1_03-09-08.jpg
    NL5dwcTKOHeadbud1_03-09-08.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 8
  • nlakdsd_10week_011908.jpg
    nlakdsd_10week_011908.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 11
  • nlakdsd_dry_012808.jpg
    nlakdsd_dry_012808.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im sorry....my view was not Paki actually...
It was Leb.....heres the old Leb27 grown dutch..and the Hindu x Leb that is rather dated as well...
Lumbos also carry sat forms...
All I wana see is 1 select Thai dom.......just show me 1....
by claim it should be easy enough...specially those in certain locals that would force Indo to grow more equa...
really I wasn't gana bother with NLs at all...but now why not...and give them away to Hanover Fist...:biggrin:
game on....
FOE20

Attachments

• ColumGold.jpg
    ColumGold.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 7
  • leb27-esben.jpg
    leb27-esben.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 8
  • HinduKxLeb27-esben.jpg
    HinduKxLeb27-esben.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
  • hindukushxLeb27.jpg
    hindukushxLeb27.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 6

agent_nugjar

Wow i really appreciate all the comments, info, pics, and even elitist banter....love it all. Thanks foe, for all your pics and input here. After talking w my friwnd who hooked up the seeds, he said its supposedly the original nl, probly the #1.

I finally took some pics but don't know how to link them. They are in my profile in a new album for anyone to see

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my pleasure agent nug....thanks for being open minded...

Also agent nug and others, I'd like to know if any of you would like to see and hear my argument against Thai in NL lines?......as said I used ot have a thread that covered all this but thats been cleaned away by server clean ups...
but Im not done...and I have way more that I could add if your willing to accept it openly...just a offer folks wont make or break anything really IMO...

This is why I have to laugh when you see people claiming they have pure NL #5 in seed.
so true and yet it seems as it was Seed co's that made claims of Pure to begin with tho...Is any of it Truly Pure?.....and then the actual breeding work that if taken to degrees past f-8 or 10 can actually almost Completely Stabilize a line..,,But Pure?....heh,,....yea that might be a fairy tail from day 1...
and Chimera...this is a open public challenge for you to Prove your view beyond that document...Im calling you out my friend..in a friendly way...and I have my view ready and loaded bro...and will try to Prove my view in as many ways as possible.....do you accept?...
just say the word..

Also I do know of that quote and I also follow Clark, Hillig. etc as said...but let me ask what was the Source of those NLs or even the Thais that were Tested within that germplasm?....If they were there and know for Fact of its creation process why is it Not documented "Further?" and completely...
Your saying that theSeed bank and sssc lied to the public and left out these details...A new form of pot called Cannabis Indica..with 1/4 sativa tho but were never gana tell you that?...heh,..thats fooked up.....and a bigger claim than Im makin...
that why "I'll see it before I believe it" is a must for me...
when was that Documented exactly?......Right after NL lines were rel or had already been worked?...published in `98? is a walk from the 80s folks and I believe in Quantum theories..anything is and usually is possible...So take it however you want and I'll be the first to bow to a complete theoretical View and conclusion...Just aint seen it yet...but Im far from your avr cropper or fool to...

'Northern Lights' was made in Washington State. It's ancestors are one-fourth Thai (sativa) and three-fourths Afghani (indica) landraces. Northern Lights was far from stable; from the segregating population three female clones with different phenotypes were selected that are currently used for F1 hybrid seed production (NL#1, NL#2, NL#5). "
-p147, Chapter 7, Advances in Hemp Research, Hawthorn Press. 1998
hmmm theSeedBank or sssc ver?...I'll bet ya $$....whether it was made in Wash or not...were talkin this all by the late 80s?...with NL rel how long prior and by who?...
So I guess they never found any that was Pure Indica then either correct?...cause a 1/4 infusion of Pure back then is Allot in my book...

So Thai...what is Blues Chimera?...I know you know...heh,,,....
its got plenty of Thai to yes?...Choco and Highland right?...2x Thai in Blues...and they Do show Thai traits and the sensitivity as well...
My 14-16wk Bluethai told me a lil to...heh...not to mention the other Thais Ive helped grow thru the late 80s and all thru the 90s..
I hate growing Thai!....but I def know enough about it to make the claim I do...but Im just talkin shop and in nmo way care what or who I am in the Canna scene...Im a humble canna driven grower at best...thnx

the first 4 pics are of a Thai grown by another great guy....my grow is pics 5-10....it was a spicy meatball!...
FOE20

Attachments

• BThaifull_01-22-09.jpg
    BThaifull_01-22-09.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BThaiSide1_12-09-08.jpg
    BThaiSide1_12-09-08.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 16815thai_top_Large_.JPG
    16815thai_top_Large_.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 16815thai_9-28-08_p1_Medium_.JPG
    16815thai_9-28-08_p1_Medium_.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 11
  • ThaiYoung.jpg
    ThaiYoung.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ThaiPheno-07.jpg
    ThaiPheno-07.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 8
  • BThaiFull1_11-30-08.jpg
    BThaiFull1_11-30-08.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BThaiFullview1_11-29-08.jpg
    BThaiFullview1_11-29-08.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BThaiFull_01-03-09.jpg
    BThaiFull_01-03-09.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 6
  • BThaiMacro1_01-22-09.jpg
    BThaiMacro1_01-22-09.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Nevil
Breeder
Quote:
written by Nevil over 20 years ago:
--------------------
The Northern Lights#1 was a pure strain from the pacific N.W. of America. It had nothing to do with Ortega lines initially, although I did cross them.
NL 1 was pretty special, it was all Indica.
Good pure Indica strains were pretty hard to find in those days. I didn't hold it back, I sold it pure.

Dr Atomics stuff looks like NL2x5. I don't see much Thai in it. I probably perpetuated the Thai/NL5 myth. The U.S. NL5 had Thai in it and I repeated the description given to me. Although mine was from the same family, it never showed any Thai characteristics.
N.

I already posted Shantis take....it is what it is..or I guess who your listening to says what it is..heh...so...
Guess were dismissing this as well then correct?....yea it was already dismissed but I read between the lines.....pun intended..
so nice try guys...Im not trying to serve up a shit sandwich but seem like ppl are askin for it....

Uptowns got its hustlers...bowry got its bums...42nd street got its to....big and dumb as a man can come...
the ole Big Jim Walker game...
song says not to pull on super mans cape..not to spit in the wind..not to pull the mask off the ole Lone ranger and ya dont mess around with Jim?...
listen to the song...cause Jim is a pool shootin son of a gun who they all called Boss.....its not Jim ya gata watch out for...watch out for So Alabama man...cause its Slim...who came to get his $$ back....watch out for the blood on the floor folks..its everywhere...
.....next.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4qUXcXuMSE

Wanted to add something after thinkin on this a bit...I highly respect Chimera and his views...Ive not tried to do anything but state my own case...
Now since the view of discredit begins Im going to avoid the kid games and just say what would really count to a grower...
Name another Line that would be worse than Thai?...especially to bred with....it doesn;t get much worse...DJ looked thru how many to find distinct phenoms?...1000's..
What does that tell you about he Quality of these Varieties....What does the Thai pictured prior look like to you and it doesn;t take a master to understand those forms?...
Asian or Chinese hemp.....sure look thru 1000s to find a poss unruly keeper...Insane idea...
Most when thinkin of Thai think crazy vet weed...yea if you dip in in opium and tie it up like a poop sickle...thats what they did was to sell ditch to GI's...

Far as why is there Thai genetics in NL lines?...well maybe its a Great Great great grand Parent to All lines?....as is Afghan....Wonder what else they located in that germplasm?.....
Theres a cat in the Dj forum now running pure LRace Thai..(RColas?)...guess what they look like?.....
Maybe my view isn't as easily seen or Im not saying it correctly...if thats the case I apologize...
So I'll stay out of this from here and leave by saying happy trails and good luck...
FOE20

Last edited:

komboloi

I have some Dr. Atomic NL on the way (I hope). It would be interesting to gather up the available NL strains and breed them down to one IBL through a series of selections.

Azeotrope

Veteran
I was just reading this thread and trying to remember when I ran Dr. A NL5........ My brother-in law tells me it was 06 or 07 and that he absolutely loved it..... Damn if I only remember working Johnny Blaze, Sweet Blue and a bunch of Reeferman's CRAP in that time frame. Oh, well I have the empty package from the Dr. A NL5 seeds. I have some Gonzo #2 right now that apparently is SSSC's basic 5 x Hindu Kush and somehow I recall the basic 5 being in that whole original NL5 mix somehow.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hindu Kush type ( to a T) lol x Thai type Haze -F3

These look pure "indica" no? :biggrin:

119.jpg

Azeotrope

Veteran
Yeah, Raco, when dominant and recessive traits start to express, the family tree may be hard to tell just by looks.......

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gunnlæif....he (Kanza/Apoxapompus) won't be able to....he trolls me on other sites.....he is nothing and all talk no show....
and if thats how elders I know acted..they would be in a home..
I want Chimera to stand ground...he dug into it and Im already standing here waiting for it...

I gat afeelin Raco knows exactly whats going on here...and I appreciate the input as well..as I appreciate all Cannabis plants..
and yea Azeo the whole basic #5 does play into the history a bit....its all a lil odd but its there...
ya see that part...Its There...its easy to find..and its understandable by canna seed co standards as in protecting their lines and the work...A lil classified or protected pool lines information is kewl and acceptable along the way as we are dealing with a "Weed"...
deception and hype not so much....
If it was NL then why do they call it Basic?...maybe precursor to NL lines all together?...or just the most Basic phenom of that line...
making NL#1 the Champ...NL#2 the runner up and #5 as the Basic combo hyb.....my whole Case and Point...

looks perty pimpin Raco...and yup....sure does look classic NL man!...
FOE20

Last edited:

Noggone

Well I have grown KC Brains Northern Light Special and Sensis Northern Lights.
The KC Brains one used to be very good, a short indica plant with wide leaves, very frosty.
This was about 15 years ago.
But I grew it again last year and it seems a lot different, not so indica and not that frosty.
Doesn't seem like the same plant.
Sensi's NL is nowhere near a full indica, in fact some of the phenotypes were quite sativa.
But very vigorous plant, and quite frosty.
Nirvana's NL was not much good, had a distinct lack of vigour and not much can be said for it.
I also grew Nirvana's NLxBig Bud; Big Buds? Hell it grew no buds.
That's right, it didn't grow buds. While all the other strains around it were budding along nicely it simply didn't grow buds, none. Just the odd preflower.
And yet they were the most vigorous plants with huge fan leaves, but they just didn't grow buds for some reason. Something wrong there somewhere.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No Raco, they are definately not a pure Indica; looks pretty much like Sensi's NL.

:laughing:

Come on!
post your pic of "pure indica" biotype in early flowering and tell us why do you say that! LOL

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well look at the old BCSC ver I posted if ya wana nit pic super Indica expression Nog...
still not seein this super Thai sativa expression..ever....show it....and dont show a pH off plant slammed with N that stretched like a weed.......cause we'll know....
My plants were slammed with N and pushed into light sources...No Stretch guy...
and thats ALL the Versions Ive run of even NL hybrid lines...
and I'll say this to..Ive personally grown 100s of varieties from Seed..
and what Raco posted is very Standard Indica in my book...
Let me ask any of ya..if you think Raco lightend up on nutes on that plant will it become elongated or More Indica and express even Wider form?...
and yes thats a loaded question just like this topic was to start....
I've lived in this topic for over 14yrs now....Im so comfy here it just doesn't bother me...
this is about a Plant...not a bunch of ppl who say anything...

btw what year/circa is the Sensi stock are you discrediting?....cause bringing up Nirv and KCB isn't helping the points and do agree about the quality issues within some for sure...if thats your point...all Euro work...not direct NL tho..but def related in ways...very loose view IMO.....Nirv blew their last load in mid 2k...KCB has had probs for yers now...at 1 time tho He was in it...heh....

heard that Raco.....was hoping for some good...why NL has this following is so beyond me...yet Im called the fool....heh.....I'll be the fool smokin some half decent NL then...which is what were all talkin about anyways....hah....and you did show Thai bradda...its in your avatar!...hahah...just had to man...

now my pet fish Floyd is having probs...and its more important than this to me...be well folks
FOE20

hereigrow

Nirvana has a good version of NL.Always been a favorite of mine, Dr.atomic def been on my to do list.Nice to see people somewhat getting of the kush's nutz, and to top it off chimera is having a go at NL breeding project. The future looks bright. Old school rules NL is one of the best indoor strains ever. Compact, low odor,fast flower, and potent enough for most.