What's new

Northern Lights: info/pics wanted

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
i ran a pack of Sensi Shiva Skunk a yr ago and let me tell you IT IS NOT THE SAME AS IT WAS 8 YRS AGO!!! flowering time was 65 days and more phenos then you could pinpoint... looked like a damn mixed pack more then a stable hybrid. a lot of the strains sold by the companies are not what they used to be... due to lost parents and them having to rework the lines from stock they have or whatever.. not sure what really has happened but it isnt fair to keep selling shit that doesnt actually live up to its reputation from the past.

SGS

Closest of Northern Lights#5 I can find at the moment is ShivaSkunk from.....eh em.....Sensi seeds or there NL#5 x Haze. ShivaSkunk being NL#5 x Skunk#1.

Yeah like someone said wtf is up with trying to get hold of Dr Atomic's NL.

Edit : oh yeah haha

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Thanks for chiming in Chimera. I recall you claiming NL contained Thai nearly a decade ago at Overgrow. I've often wondered since what information you were basing your claim's upon as it appeared to go against the grain of popular Dutch media. I take it that it was a firsthand account or was this previously published information?

Naturally, I'm more prone as I've always been to believe the account's of actual breeder's over those of mere seed salesman. Are you able to provide any more details/insight about Hortapharm's take on NL origin's other than the pedigree you provided? I ask as I'm operating under the assumption with the information you shared that it applies to the #1 and any subsequent offering's were Dutch creation.

Regards,
Kanza

Hey Kanza, good to see you about. Raco, too, what is this the oldtimers thread? :D

The info came from the germplasm resources section of Rinali's 'Advances in Hemp Research'.

I have to correct myself, the chapter on germplasm resources was penned by Etienne de Meijer (formerly of Hortipharm, now of GW Pharmaceuticals) but the author clearly thanks RCC for his input on the chapter, and since the chapter mostly focuses on fibre germplasm resources, in my opinion it's a safe bet to assume the input on the drug germplasm resources was from Rob (not to mention Etienne worked for Sam for a long time, and surely absorbed a fair degree of genetic tidbits and heritage info in various convos).

".... Since the late 1960's, elite clones and families have been obtained from several imported landraces through selective incest breeding in the USA. These, and hybrids between selected clones, form the basis of the modern drug cultivars (Clarke, 1993).
'Northern Lights' was made in Washington State. It's ancestors are one-fourth Thai (sativa) and three-fourths Afghani (indica) landraces. Northern Lights was far from stable; from the segregating population three female clones with different phenotypes were selected that are currently used for F1 hybrid seed production (NL#1, NL#2, NL#5). "
-p147, Chapter 7, Advances in Hemp Research, Hawthorn Press. 1998

The stories from Dutch seedbanks are just that, I'd not believe a tenth of a percent what has comes out of those sources as far as validity goes; far too much incentive for partial or mis-truths, if one understands the millions that have flowed from these stories. Knowing the biz from the inside, I know for a fact it happens.

Anyone that's bred the original NL lines inter se can surely see there is some thin-leaf influence in there, and recombinant generation plants that push well past 10 weeks and beyond. Most of the lines that reached the public were hybrids of the NL clones selected from the original imports, so the Thai influence is pretty buried unless you are line breeding a "pure" NL selection. This is why I have to laugh when you see people claiming they have pure NL #5 in seed... it's either a blatant lie, or a mis-truth from someone not in the know.. whatever the case it's not someone to trust for genetic heritage, provenance or pedigree info.

That said, I'm off to find the old NL lines to dig through..... the spaces are almost ready to fill, been hanging lights and fans for days it seems...

-Chimera

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Old NL lines? a buddy is sending me a clone of NL#1 from the seedbank, circa 98, seeds brought in 92! Anyone got the '92 seedbank seed catalog?
mack.

Quasimodo

The Northern lights that came around Washington state in the 90s is my number one smoking experience of all time. Totally stupid stoned, driving around in a giant figure eight around town looking for our friends house we've been to a hundred times.

Apomixis

Chimera said:
Hey Kanza, good to see you about. Raco, too, what is this the oldtimers thread?

The stories from Dutch seedbanks are just that, I'd not believe a tenth of a percent what has comes out of those sources as far as validity goes; far too much incentive for partial or mis-truths, if one understands the millions that have flowed from these stories. Knowing the biz from the inside, I know for a fact it happens.

As flows the information, so do I. It's become increasingly harder to source credible information in today's culture as with each passing year it seems the lies & deceit only proliferate. The only redeeming factor about this reality is my belief that in time all lie's come to light. Unfortunately, many of us manage to become jaded in the meantime that we're unable to persevere beyond the bullshit once truth finally see's the light of day. It's evolved to such an overwhelming extent within our online communities that any serious and/or professional grower's are almost better served unplugging for a couple years as not to be enveloped by minsinformation. It's far more productive to invest your knowledge & resources into tangible projects offline than chase the ghosts of liars and crook's from past to present...

The further you go down the rabbit hole it doesn't appear to get any simpler, either. While naturally we are more inclined to believe true professional's who pioneered the industry, can we afford to suspend reason and logic out of reverence for our elders? While Hortapharm certainly has all the success and accolades, can we be certain they're immune from such industry practices? Anyone who has been around as long as we have has been audience to such antics exhibited by the likes of 'Romberryherm' and his various other aliases. Which to anyone scoring at home forms an unbecoming perception the likes of which does not differ much from the hack's/fraud's. While it's reasonable to discount most information from seed companies with vested interests, exactly how is Hortapharm absolved from this inclusion? While we, as the general public may not be consumers, it's naive to think Hortapharm and it's constituent's don't have a dime in or on this boat. They certainly have a lot to gain (long term) by having their narrative's furthered. In fact, one could argue they have the most to gain.

Anyone that's bred the original NL lines inter se can surely see there is some thin-leaf influence in there, and recombinant generation plants that push well past 10 weeks and beyond. Most of the lines that reached the public were hybrids of the NL clones selected from the original imports, so the Thai influence is pretty buried unless you are line breeding a "pure" NL selection. This is why I have to laugh when you see people claiming they have pure NL #5 in seed... it's either a blatant lie, or a mis-truth from someone not in the know.. whatever the case it's not someone to trust for genetic heritage, provenance or pedigree info.
A fine example of the recombinant Thai phenotype is the Cherry Slyder clone selected by 'Skitty' from Sagarmatha's Slyder. Reportedly fathered by NL.

Thanks for not only taking the time to share, Chimera, but for finally motivating me to order that book.

All the best,
Kanza

G

Gunnlæif

I'm off to find the old NL lines to dig through..... the spaces are almost ready to fill, been hanging lights and fans for days it seems...

-Chimera

WOW...did you really just say your going to start working NL?

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.

:greenstars:

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chimera...I wish you all the power in the universe man...bring it...and bring it 4 real sir....keep rollin

Tried the Info...so heres the pics as requested........Walk...
We'll sing and dance and find romance....and stroll to the edge of the world....
FOE20

Attachments

• NL5bcscMleHead_02-23-08.jpg
    NL5bcscMleHead_02-23-08.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 12
  • NL5bcscMaleFull_02-23-08.jpg
    NL5bcscMaleFull_02-23-08.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 10
  • NL5bcscBEye1_03-03-08.jpg
    NL5bcscBEye1_03-03-08.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 12
  • NL5bcscDWCmomBeye_02-19-08.jpg
    NL5bcscDWCmomBeye_02-19-08.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 6
  • NL5stalkTKOdwc_02-10-08.jpg
    NL5stalkTKOdwc_02-10-08.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 11
  • NL5headcola_01-06-09.jpg
    NL5headcola_01-06-09.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 14
  • NL5-PButtersDWC_02-19-08.jpg
    NL5-PButtersDWC_02-19-08.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7
  • NL5p1momFull_03-03-08.jpg
    NL5p1momFull_03-03-08.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 10
  • NL5wk5bloomHead_02-24-08.jpg
    NL5wk5bloomHead_02-24-08.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 10

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
more...

Attachments

• NL5headpic5wk_02-24-08.jpg
    NL5headpic5wk_02-24-08.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3-NL5solosBloom-med.jpg
    3-NL5solosBloom-med.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 8
  • NL5headtipTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    NL5headtipTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 6
  • NL5fullview1_08-19-08.jpg
    NL5fullview1_08-19-08.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 6
  • NL5full1_12-08-08.jpg
    NL5full1_12-08-08.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 8
  • NL5DWCvegTKOP_02-10-08.jpg
    NL5DWCvegTKOP_02-10-08.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 9
  • NL5macro_01-12-09.jpg
    NL5macro_01-12-09.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 4-NL_5grodan2-med.jpg
    4-NL_5grodan2-med.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 7-NL5sideBong2-10-med.jpg
    7-NL5sideBong2-10-med.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 7
  • 2123NL5scroppedProfile2-17-med.jpg
    2123NL5scroppedProfile2-17-med.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 24

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yea....moooore....but I'll leave it at that....enjoy

Attachments

• NL5bloom1_05-27-07.jpg
    NL5bloom1_05-27-07.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 6
  • NL5bloom1_05-10-07.jpg
    NL5bloom1_05-10-07.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 8
  • NL_5_OverviewAprox22daysBloom.jpg
    NL_5_OverviewAprox22daysBloom.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 8
  • MNLhead1_01-28-10.jpg
    MNLhead1_01-28-10.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 12
  • MNLfullBed_01-28-10.jpg
    MNLfullBed_01-28-10.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 6
  • NL5fullview3_01-14-08.jpg
    NL5fullview3_01-14-08.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 12
  • NL5bloom1done_01-2-08.jpg
    NL5bloom1done_01-2-08.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 8
  • OCaliNLbEYE2_06-30-07.jpg
    OCaliNLbEYE2_06-30-07.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 7
  • OldCaliNLbireEye_06-30-07.jpg
    OldCaliNLbireEye_06-30-07.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 8
  • NL5dwcFullTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    NL5dwcFullTKO_03-03-08.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 9

Apodo

My eyes are dazed with beauty of that flowers. You honor that classic knows as Northern Lights #5. Hopefully the time of harvest will come, when a few occasions pass as the sun is swallowed in the lips of the night.

gyntwaiser

Iv growed northen light from clone, so dont really know wher seeds came from originally.(I hav hunch tht they wer sensi seeds)
Very good mite/mold resistance.
Small plant, it wont grow much height on flowering.

Bud: Rock hard, full of tricoms.
Smell: Spicy, hard to describe.
Effects: Heavy indica high on both head, n body.
Taste: Cough Cough Cough. Spicy,mild, but very coughy when cured

Id grow this again any time, good strain never let me down.
Even on high tolerance u still got nice buzz out of it.
I recommend trying.

One of my favourite strain.

Few pics:
picture.php

picture.php

jayd

i loved the dutch NL what was around in the early 90s, real nice taste and full indica. really miss the old school strains

Chillb

What goes around, comes around. Seems as though original old NL's may be on the return. I'd contribute to the effort ... I'd still have 100's of NL #5, Afghani #1, Romulan, Jack Herer, and assorted crosses of them if I hadn't lost them all in a move in early 2000...damnit man! heh

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
I will be awaiting the return of Northern Lights! 1 missed out on coming up (only had hybrid buds) so it'll be nice to run some in the future someday. Looks like several breeders are working different NL projects currently or soon to be. GL to all of you and take care 1

Latest posts

Latest posts