What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noreason's extractions

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Decided to make some BHO out from ChocoTonic popcorn buds.

Used flowers like these:

picture.php

picture.php

Bigger flowers were like these:

picture.php

Started to fill the glass tube, taking into account to let some space and don't press the weed too much.

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use PTFE sheets to spray on. It was unnecessary this time, but I used it the same to make pics. Colibrì butane. 1 liter in - around 0,25 liters out.

picture.php

picture.php

When almost the butane is gone I added some ISO alcohol and gently stir with a teaspoon to dissolve the BHO rapidly.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Filtered with a 25µ inox mesh and ready to winterize in the freezer for 2 days.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just covered with some plastic film and put it in the freezer.

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will post the rest of the extraction and purge process in the next days, hope it could help some newbie.

:wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After 48 hours winterization, waxes are out of the solution and clearly visible on the bottom of the glass as sedimentation.

picture.php

Filtered with an inox mesh

picture.php

Once filtered waxes can bee seen on the meshalong some other residues.

picture.php

Let's start evaporation. Used the same PTFE sheet. Important to not inhale ISO vapors.

picture.php

Solvent is almost gone.

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After the evaporation I ended with this:

picture.php

My setup for vacuum is nothing special, just a DIY kit composed by a 2cm thick PMMA table, a 1/4HP 1stage pump and some PTFE tape to seal everything.
Other than that I also have a cheap electric heating pad to keep water hot enough.

picture.php

picture.php

Can't go over -920 mbar. This is the max. value I get with everything sealed perfectly.

picture.php

Purging starts

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some more setup pictures. I can fit the PMMA table to quite any container, so it depends on how much extract I have to purge.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sky please stay on this forum and don't go away bro! we all need guys like you and many others :tiphat:

I got your point about the gauge. Please, let me see if I got it...if I start the system at higher altitude I will read less than now on the gauge, but in the vac. chamber I have the same -29.9''Hg ?

Obviously as you was saying on the other post, having less ambient pressure it makes no sense the pump have less power to make vacuum.

And just one more question if you don't mind. What about the ziplock bag? What's the concept behind it?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You got it, it's just the gauge that's off.

A previously unopened Zip-Lock style bag has almost no air in it, but there are enough molecules to force it to expand when the vacuum gets nearly as deep as a rotary vane pump will take it. The vacuum inside the bag is the same as everywhere else within the system, therefore the expansion of the bag is the equalization of the air density inside and outside of the bag.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You got it, it's just the gauge that's off.

:yes:

A previously unopened Zip-Lock style bag has almost no air in it, but there are enough molecules to force it to expand when the vacuum gets nearly as deep as a rotary vane pump will take it. The vacuum inside the bag is the same as everywhere else within the system, therefore the expansion of the bag is the equalization of the air density inside and outside of the bag.

Makes all the sense, assuming bags were vacuumed at -29.9

Will give it a try and see what happen.

Thanks bro :tiphat:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once the first purge is done I take the extract out, fold the PTFE sheet and press it to make as thin as I can.
2 minutes in the freezer to take off the sheet from it on one side, and vacuum it again.

picture.php

Same thing can be done using slickpads. To move extract from a sheet to another, or from a sheet to slickpad, just heat it up, stick the pad on the free side and then some minutes in the fridge/freezer.

picture.php

picture.php

Once I had it between slikpads I pressed it one more time

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ready for the last vacuum run

picture.php

picture.php

I ended with this budder

picture.php

picture.php

This little sample let me understand a little more. I can say it took too much heat and terps boiled off, well, not everything but a good part (the budder aspect is due to this I think).

On the other side the smoke is really smooth. Big hits on Ti-pad and no cough or any discomfort and a good high, clear one, not different from other CT extracts I made, so I guess THC and CBD are still there.

From the whole glass tube I ended with 1,37 grams of budder, what I was expecting.
Next time I'll repeat the same process but using dry ChocoTonic popcorns and small buds, staying at lower temp trying to find the right point between terps. and smoothness of smoke.
Other than that I want to split the extract and do a winterization only for an half, than vacuum both at the same time.

Green vibz!

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To all the noobs on here reading this, interested in doing such extractions....always follow the right safety rules. Butane is explosive, not just flammable, instruct yourself how to stay safe.

I always use hard equipment, gloves, mask, helmets, strong thick clothes when I work with butane. When it's evaporated than things are safe, before, better take all the preventive measures.

Other than that, one of the most difficult things for a quality extract is to keep things clean. Fuck me if I don't try to, and fuck me if only one time I ended with a really uncontaminated extract. It's near to impossible but the more you work in a dirt and dusty environment the more contaminated will be the extract ;)

QuantumWeed

How long do you purge it for and at what pressure?

You metioned boiling some terps, from the water temperature under the vaccum chamber?

I am experimenting myself with QWET and am worried that when boiling the Alchool I also loose the good stuff, would a vacuum chamber purge the Ethanol correctly?

I will try to use BioEthanol as it is much cheaper.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long do you purge it for and at what pressure?

Let's say some hours...never checked the time.

Lately I'm used to let it 15 minutes purging, then take it out and back in, exposing the other side of the extract to vacuum.
This process repeated various times, more than 10, works better than leaving the extract alone for hours. I can notice it by the amount of bubbles.

You metioned boiling some terps, from the water temperature under the vaccum chamber?

Yep! Because I was wrong reading the pressure and get too high with temperature.

I am experimenting myself with QWET and am worried that when boiling the Alchool I also loose the good stuff, would a vacuum chamber purge the Ethanol correctly?

Vacuum will work better and faster, however try to have a thin layer of extract and purge that. The thinner the better.

QuantumWeed

Let's say some hours...never checked the time.
Lately I'm used to let it 15 minutes purging, then take it out and back in, exposing the other side of the extract to vacuum.
This process repeated various times, more than 10, works better than leaving the extract alone for hours. I can notice it by the amount of bubbles.

Yep! Because I was wrong reading the pressure and get too high with temperature.

Vacuum will work better and faster, however try to have a thin layer of extract and purge that. The thinner the better.

Below 150C should preserve all terps https://www.steephill.com/science/terpenes

Just posted my Eth extractions 'Barabba's Extractions' in this section.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Below 150C should preserve all terps https://www.steephill.com/science/terpenes

Many aromatic compounds are considered volatile because the vapor pressure (atmospherical) is not enough to keep them in that state of matter (liquid or solid) at normal temperature and pressure.

That's why you can smell weed in the air, because the aroma slowly goes in the air thanks to evaporation (it pass through the trichome's wall).

Increasing temperature and/or pressure means a faster transition. Temp. and pressure are two faces of the same coin btw ;)

QuantumWeed

Many aromatic compounds are considered volatile because the vapor pressure (atmospherical) is not enough to keep them in that state of matter (liquid or solid) at normal temperature and pressure.

That's why you can smell weed in the air, because the aroma slowly goes in the air thanks to evaporation (it pass through the trichome's wall).

Increasing temperature and/or pressure means a faster transition. Temp. and pressure are two faces of the same coin btw ;)

So maybe solventless extractions could be better at preserving that. Thinking of getting a rosin press.