What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noreason's extractions

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hei nore
Did you use all five cans for 50g trim?

Total they was 58 grams and a can (or maybe two) was half empty because of the butane torch and so on...however something still is in there, so I guess some more solvent would be better, what do you think?

about silicone and bho read this:
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/spraying-butane-directly-on-silicone-mats/
GrayWolf is on IC he is the guy to talk to

Yeah I know, he is the last user who replied before you, and always thanks to GW for sharing knowledge :tiphat:

The link you posted is a good one, as all the other on that wp blog ;) but the thing here is not spraying on pads but storing extract in silicone pads. I never sprayed on silicone and I never will.

I would never store bho on those pads..

May I ask why? I'm interested if there can be some kind of reaction between oleoresin and silicone or something I dont't know.
They would be very very useful for storing pretty large quantities/qualities of bho. Petri dishes are a pain in the ass imho and I still didn't find anything I really like to store it.

Ptfe sounds better also for spraying directly on it but i still prefer pyrex.

Sorry bro, if you don't mind can you explain me why? :)

Anyway im out of the solvent game rosin wins bho 10 - 1

If YOU are telling me this...I have to consider it!
I tried rosin, various of them... but I didn't like so much...so much better an AA for me, especially for the smoother smoke.
Why do you think it's so much better? I would love if you can elaborate why.
My thoughts were, and actually are, that rosin contains waxes...pretty a lot, is that true?
Winterizing out waxes using solvents makes a smoother extract when vaporized, isn'it?

Thanks in advance :)

:wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After the extract was moved on silicone pad and purge starts again

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Freezed, chipped a bit and vacuumed again. Noticed some more tendency to bubble out following fractures.
I was thinking on freezing it, reducing it into powder and try to vacuum it in this form, with increased surface area due to powder form. Any input guys?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mr vuoto

if there can be some kind of reaction between oleoresin and silicone or something I dont't know.

i've red somewhere that lab tests show how storing live resins with high % of terpenes (solvents) in the silicon pads increases the contaminants in the final extract.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've red somewhere that lab tests show how storing live resins with high % of terpenes (solvents) in the silicon pads increases the contaminants in the final extract.

That is my fear. Can't you remember where you read those results or the company name who made the tests?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is my fear. Can't you remember where you read those results or the company name who made the tests?

The terpenes are (alkene) aromatic hydrocarbons.

I haven't seen the tests being referenced, but if you look at the Cole Palmer chemical compatibility site, it shows silicone rubber and aromatic hydrocarbons to be a poor match.

https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The terpenes are (alkene) aromatic hydrocarbons.

I haven't seen the tests being referenced, but if you look at the Cole Palmer chemical compatibility site, it shows silicone rubber and aromatic hydrocarbons to be a poor match.

https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

Great one, thanks bro, I will put aside that idea. Where do you store yours if you don't mind?

Last edited:

mr vuoto

You guys living in US should check for real results we can just report what we can read/find around the internet from your works, anyway i know there is a big discussion going on these days about this. Lot of ppl say when thc-a crystallization happens in a ultra terpy extract the liquid terpenes rich part can dissolve the silicone .
UNFORTUNATELY in the extracts we make/see/smoke most of the times in Europe the concentration of terpenes is not enough to dissolve silicone.

RulaTone

Veteran
Total they was 58 grams and a can (or maybe two) was half empty because of the butane torch and so on...however something still is in there, so I guess some more solvent would be better, what do you think?

for that quantity of trim i would use 2 cans and a half (20g each), increasing solvent contact time with the material will likely lead to more contaminants in the extract. i make you an example: even tho butane is highly non-polar and wont extract water-solubles, if you use enough you still can extract the "green" color. obviously theres still something in there but the gold comes out after the first wash in my opinion because of the great solubility. you are always in time to do a second wash.
also the more canned butane you use the more mistery oil will end up in the extract so i like to use just the strictly indispensible solvent.

Yeah I know, he is the last user who replied before you, and always thanks to GW for sharing knowledge :tiphat:
yup all i know about extract is thanks to him!

The link you posted is a good one, as all the other on that wp blog ;) but the thing here is not spraying on pads but storing extract in silicone pads. I never sprayed on silicone and I never will.

May I ask why? I'm interested if there can be some kind of reaction between oleoresin and silicone or something I dont't know.
They would be very very useful for storing pretty large quantities/qualities of bho. Petri dishes are a pain in the ass imho and I still didn't find anything I really like to store it.

you have already been covered on this, thanks guys.
i have always preferred pyrex glass for storage, and you can get artsy with it! *

Sorry bro, if you don't mind can you explain me why? :)

just what im used to, no rocket science behind it

If YOU are telling me this...I have to consider it!
I tried rosin, various of them... but I didn't like so much...so much better an AA for me, especially for the smoother smoke.
Why do you think it's so much better? I would love if you can elaborate why.
My thoughts were, and actually are, that rosin contains waxes...pretty a lot, is that true?
Winterizing out waxes using solvents makes a smoother extract when vaporized, isn'it?

Thanks in advance :)

i dont really know how much waxes rosin contains, i speculate much less than bho, and if i have to judge just by my throat theres really low quantity of plant waxes in it. ive seen many flower rosin analysises and never seen that high percentage of waxes. if you mean parchment paper waxes yes, their present especially if a "poor" paper is used. You can still winterize your rosin extract and see for yourself, i think if premium flowers are used waxes will be minimal.
I prefer rosin for the simple reason i dont have to mess with explosive chemicals and for me is much easier to do. Also i like "just made" extracts and not stored, to me rosin is the perfect expression of this, you just "juice" what you need at the moment and enjoy extract in full freshness. To me extract are like orange juice, "just made" is much better for me.
i've seen resins wich are hard to store without having them buddering, others will stay glassy for a long period of time, propably is the composition and cannabinoid/terpenes/waxes rateo of each one to determine its buddering time.
after all i dont really dislike butane extracts and will gladly smoke them, if done with care and knowledge they are sublime!

RulaTone

Veteran
i forgot...
your extract and mini setup is looking super good!
ive seen the big dogs across the ocean do a so called "flip" of the extract when it stop to bubble, exposing the side wich was under, i dont know how to be more precise. maybe it will help in freeing all the tane also in your case. good experimentation!

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo bro those glass are awesome, I'll find something that works good for me too but I don't think I can afford such good glass :)

i dont really know how much waxes rosin contains, i speculate much less than bho, and if i have to judge just by my throat theres really low quantity of plant waxes in it. ive seen many flower rosin analysises and never seen that high percentage of waxes.

Do you remember any data about waxes in various extract you made?
I'm still very curious about this.

if you mean parchment paper waxes yes, their present especially if a "poor" paper is used.

Let this aside, I was referring to plant's waxes. Don't they go into the extract with rosin tech.?

You can still winterize your rosin extract and see for yourself, i think if premium flowers are used waxes will be minimal.

Well, I think I got it. Using best flowers you're pointing to the top quality...here I just want to concentrate in the purest form my resin coming from trimmed leaves.
I just can't use flowers for this, if not for small batches, but I need to work with some good quantity of trim.

I prefer rosin for the simple reason i dont have to mess with explosive chemicals and for me is much easier to do. Also i like "just made" extracts and not stored, to me rosin is the perfect expression of this, you just "juice" what you need at the moment and enjoy extract in full freshness. To me extract are like orange juice, "just made" is much better for me.
i've seen resins wich are hard to store without having them buddering, others will stay glassy for a long period of time, propably is the composition and cannabinoid/terpenes/waxes rateo of each one to determine its buddering time.
after all i dont really dislike butane extracts and will gladly smoke them, if done with care and knowledge they are sublime!

For sure it's safer, I agree with you and maybe I still haven't smoked any good rosin, even in ''crystal'' form they were too heavy in my throat making me often cough.

i forgot...
your extract and mini setup is looking super good!
ive seen the big dogs across the ocean do a so called "flip" of the extract when it stop to bubble, exposing the side wich was under, i dont know how to be more precise. maybe it will help in freeing all the tane also in your case. good experimentation!

Thank bro, I still have a lot to learn and yes I do the ''flip thing'' but at now I'm working with temperature. I'm still purging at very low temp I guess, gotta try and try again for a better understanding and final result wasting some time and oil for the vacuum pump :)

Thanks for stopping by :wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After more then a month from its extraction, this BHO from a Critical clone is still stable, where others changed their texture in the same amount of time.

Last purge pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

End result

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purifing BHO made from GreenPoison trim. Surely I did a cold purging, maybe too low temperature. Now it's in budder form after a month or so...whatever...it smokes really nice and clean, but its not the best for taste.

Here the last purge I did

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Removed from the vacuum chamber on a smaller pad by freezing it. It is not shatter, it was only really cold.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ambient temperature and it comes back to medium soft and doubles without breaking itself. It really isn't a top quality extract but I guess with further ISO-winterization and buchner-filtration it can turn to a even better and purer BHO. Next time I'll try it.

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a new vape pen to test various bho along my old bubbler. I like the double ended ''head'' wich makes really powerful hit in few seconds!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And some GreenPoison BHO ready to go...

picture.php

picture.php

domacin

hey guys

i need a source for your statement: premium flowers = less plant waxes

plz

i see only a correlation with heat in the form of sun radiation, by this idea modern leds would produce less waxes, hmm ?

im based on the idea that waxes are protectants: from spores and insects to acidic rain enriched with yummy moleculs to uv rays and air temperature and what not

with this startingpoint, it would make sense that the more you approach the equator the more sun the more waxes you get, so yes for better flowers = less wax. easy to simulate indoors ..

but again we dont have any side by side test regarding waxes indoors, have we?

also take into account cannabinoids being the primary protectant against uv rays, not waxes

when mixing this all up in my head, i come to the conclusion that i cant share your views on waxes, too many illogical elements

there was once a thread somewhere online, like : fmcd strains, the thread was about ice water hash and what strains produced fmcd which only fm and some not even that; anyways this would be a good place to start research, as i remember how far apart the different textures from different strains/samples were: watery, sticky, elastic?/gummy, sandy, slimy..etc ... a nearly endless preset of combos , and waxes are a part of this and they interact ...

anyways, gimme some food .. erm sources

thank you :tiphat:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo domacin, I don't know much on waxes and plant's biology, but did you try to consider another point of view on this thing, like: in top quality buds there are more cannabinoids than lower buds (this should be true). Can it be the waxes are the same but the cannabinoids content is different, leading to premium flowers = less waxes content?

Would be nice to have some side-by-side with waxes analysis at the end.

Latest posts

Latest posts