What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noreason's extractions

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It looks like i have a LOT of reading to do on extracts. I wanted to find a better tasting alcohol based extract. I just soak it in everclear for several days then low cook at about 150*F for 8 to 10 hours. Run through a 120u bag to clean it then proceed to to drink the filtered green booze with favorite mixer. This is the nastiest tasting thing in the world But the hard hit was what seemed to get me through the chemo. Is there an easy way to make this taste less horrid?

Oh yas! Brown Dragon instead of Greeeeeeeeeeeeen Dragon.

Do a QWET extraction and just reduce the alcohol down some to concentrate it, if necessary.

Winterize a BHO extraction with Everclear, and use the alcohol/oil mixture.

Use decarboxylated oil for maximum head effects.

..... The trouble of funnel is that the heavier glands rapidly fall on the screen, obstructing the water flow. This mean it takes a lot of times to remove all the water, and this is not good. Less time the glands are in contact with water, more intense will be the smell.

So I drill a little hole at the end of the funnel, where I insert a little tube. This tube is linked to a little air-pump, so when I close the funnel from the bottom with my hand, the air flow coming from the pump, is obliged to go up, moving away the glads from the screen and let the water fall down rapidly.
Doing this repeatedly allow all the water fall down in few minutes.............

I think that solution is a very good one, I will surely try it.. cause I had the same problem :biggrin: ..

May be is a pity that a so good 3d was read only by a small circle of ppl... But .. maybe not..

..is not our fault if laziness and ignorance encourage new ppl to do not use the "search" button...

great job man ! :respect:

:tiphat:

4tokin

Leave your bottle of green booze in the sun until the green turns to brown.
The sun burns off the chlorophyll in 3/4 hours without any adverse effect to the tincture.
It changes the taste completely.

domacin

Leave your bottle of green booze in the sun until the green turns to brown.
The sun burns off the chlorophyll in 3/4 hours without any adverse effect to the tincture.
It changes the taste completely.

thats what i like to do with my EtOH extractions and refinements

so summer is the only time to do this properly where i live:
1 day sun purgin the alcohol, for a few hours - the longer the better - idealy the purgin plate is partly lifted towards the sun to have steeper angle of sunshine rays
when everything is purged, i give an additional day within the suns rays

this additional step, although not really needed, gives the extract a notch higher quality : the extract reeks compared to 24 hours before, seems like the terpens want to "break out"

i have no clue, but there is something happening inside on the molecular level (with the help of UV and IR part) that does more than heat alone ???

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
UV bleaching doesn't remove the chlorophyll, it just breaks it down, leaving the breakdown products, which add harshness.

I prefer to do a QWET extraction cold enough and for a short enough period of time to limit extraction of chlorophyll and other C-30 length molecules.

Here is a 3 minute frozen QWET extraction prior to reduction. You will note that there is no chlorophyll that requires bleaching.

The second is a 10 minute frozen QWET, demonstrating what the element of time does.

Attachments

• 3 minute frozen extract.jpg
    3 minute frozen extract.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 10 minute frozen extraction-1-2.jpg
    10 minute frozen extraction-1-2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 17

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of time passed but passion is still there. I will post pictures and infos in the next months.

Here a DIY vacuum chamber. It was pretty effective for small batches like 1 gram, however I don't recommend it. It's not tested for vacuum and it's pretty small, but for me worked out good.

picture.php

Obviously I got to try 'em

picture.php

picture.php

Here a couple of grams of purged QWISO. It's from a 50 grams batch I got from outdoor low quality trim and small buds. It's a low quality QWISO, no much aroma but it's pretty smooth with a good knockout effect.

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got to say these small silicon pads are really useful when working with extracts. They are easily removed and the extract collected and stored.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here purging some of that low quality QW-ISO

picture.php

picture.php

Purging a GreenPoison BHO on a PTFE sheet. Nice quality here, not the best however. PTFE sheets are great to avoid BHO loss and it's very useful to gain time, with less work to do.

picture.php

picture.php

Cheap vacuum gauge, however it seems to work good.

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Inox-filter and part of the pyrex tube I'm using for extractions

picture.php

picture.php

Second pull-out. BHO was moved from PTFE sheet on a SilkPad of small dimensions. Good only for very small batch like 2 or 3 grams.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm using a 20mm PMMA A4 size panel cut with classic saw, so it's not clear on the sides. Laser saw would makes it clear on the sides but it doesn't affect anything, just looks better.

Connectors are made of a mixing pieces made for air compressor and I needed a turning lathe to make it working.
I also need an air-filter to mount on the air-intake to avoid any dust in the extract.
All connections have just a little PTFE on the thread and the Y connector is screwed up directly into the PMMA panel, so it has its own thread.

picture.php

picture.php

This at the end of the first purge

picture.php

End of the second purge. Still some butane traces in it I guess, but it's pretty hard and smokes absolutely smooth with a good GreenPoison flavor.

picture.php

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like to spray BHO directly into a PTFE sheet if no further winterization will be done. Very useful, as I really don't like to scrap it off from a pyrex dish for various reasons.

If further winterization will be done, PTFE is not used in the first extraction.

picture.php

I also use silicon gloves to avoid cold hands when spraying. Very useful as I don't use a stand.
Pyrex tube is 55 cm long and 5,5cm wide. Can pack around 50 grams of dried trimmed leaves.

picture.php

Critical trim, not the best one for BHO, but it has a strong skunky aroma and a strong high

picture.php

picture.php

Filling the tube

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Filter on and ready to go

picture.php

Pyrex and PTFE sheet...well it's not exactly pyrex but some kind of borosilicate made in France

picture.php

Butane cans and tube ready. Noticed some more pression on Colibrì and some less for Clipper

picture.php

picture.php

Ice forming during and after extraction

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boiling butane just after the extraction

picture.php

picture.php

I did a mistake with PTFE sheet and had to transfer boiling butane into another ABS plastic box. Same effect, but I prefer pyrex anyway.

picture.php

picture.php

Some covering to avoid dust contamination from outdoor air. I try to avoid extracting on cold dry days, always outdoor trying to keep butane ppms low in the surroundings air.

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Purge starting just after the solvent is gone and bubbles stop directly on the ptfe sheet to increase its viscosity.
Once its viscosity reaches a certain point it can be easily removed from ptfe and collected/stored/purged more.

Still not purged, low viscosity

picture.php

picture.php

Purging and increasing viscosity

picture.php

Giving some heat to decrease viscosity. I'm using cheap equipment in a DIY way, so I'm trying to work at very low temp. with a max of -29,85 inHg. At now I never let the extract go over 40/45 C (110-115F). Will run more and more to understand the tech and try to raise temp. to see what happens at different levels.

picture.php

Just after the first purge I move the extract from ptfe on some silicone pads I bought just for this, and they're really useful! I would reccomend for this kind of things...by the way...does anyone knows if there is any side effects using silicone pads to store extraxts? Does it outgases or somehat?

picture.php