What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noreason makes hash with the gravity method

ancient

Hey noreason, great thread, guide, pics, everything :D

I just put 170g of seeded buds in a bucket, stirred for 15min with a paint mixer on a drill, waited one hour, siphoned, poured last 1,5L to a jar. It has been setting for a while now and the soon to be hash on the bottom is almost white but there seems to be less hash than what I got from yesterdays trim run which was just a couple of liters (can't weigh them fresh) worth of leaves and produced 5g.

So finally the question: what is the least amount of hash you would expect from 170g of bud? Can it really be under 10g? Cause I wanted to run 2 more pounds like this but am now unsure of the yield.

Should I have chopped the buds up or put them in a grinder? The drill bit crushed them pretty good but idk.

edit: it's pretty wet still but seems to be around 2g. That's ridiculous, I'll try and run it again, see what happens.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres pics as requested. question: whats the ratio of wet hash to butter, in terms of teaspoons?

i got at least 5 tsp worth of hash

If I remember 2 teaspoon for 250gr of butter. I think 4 teaspoon would be better.
Take in mind that if you have a strong hash butter you can diluite it adding some normal butter (if necessary in the recipe). If the hash butter is not strong you can't do nothing for it.
So I think it's better to have a strong hash butter ;)

super work nore!!! not word!!

:tiphat:

Hey noreason, great thread, guide, pics, everything

Thank you :)

So finally the question: what is the least amount of hash you would expect from 170g of bud? Can it really be under 10g? Cause I wanted to run 2 more pounds like this but am now unsure of the yield.

Do you mean dried or fresh matter?
From 170 gr of fresh and resinous buds (I use only fresh material) I would expect something like 3/5 grams of clean hash.

If the buds were dried I can't say. Many factors, first of all contaminants, would make differences in the process.

Should I have chopped the buds up or put them in a grinder? The drill bit crushed them pretty good but idk.

Well, I never used buds to make hash. I prefer to smoke'em or make some bho, however I think you should gently cut the buds into little flowers, trying to expose more area you can, obviously the more gentle you will be, the less trichomes will break.

Don't use grinder, it produces contaminants and damage the resin.

edit: it's pretty wet still but seems to be around 2g. That's ridiculous, I'll try and run it again, see what happens.

Good luck dude :wave:

ancient

Thanks for the reply noreason, weighed in at just under 3g of perfectly blonde and super-bubbly stuff with hardly any contaminants. I'm pretty happy with the end result because I got ripped off with genetics and the buds were not worth smoking, I could hardly notice a buzz. So in the end it's better than throwing away 3months worth of work for nothing.
I'll run the other ~900g in the next couple of days and if I can get my camera to communicate with linux, I'll be uploading some pics too.

be safe! :tiphat:

masamaaso

Veteran
Timing

Timing

Good Morning Noreason,It's a great looking day here on the Island, hope your weather holds the same. I'm sitting out in my Kubo hut smoking on some dry sift and I must say what a great thread I hit it last night and read the entire thing,, some parts twice ,,,some parts 3 times,,and im sure i'll read some of it a few more times.
You sir have put in some time and work on your craft and by posting your methods and little extras you've saved me and many others a ton of time.
And for that my friend,,, I Thank You.

Time ,,time,,,time,,,freaking timing, means everything,,,If i'd have spotted this thread 4 days ago when I did my first water extraction things would have turned out WAAAAAAY different..
I followed the steps in one of the you tube vids and for a first time I thought it went ok,,but,,and I mean BUT,,,if id have seen yer thread before my jars filled at the bottoms with lots of white looking stuff after about an hour of rest,,but I let it sit 4 hours and it turned greenish blackish and in the end tasted watery,, maybe now we know why. I also mixed it on high speed in a small commercial mixer which worked ok but gave me little control over the process.
I started with 240 grams of pure crap, unsmoke-able and dry like dust and ended with 6g of low ball hash put away for the hardest of hard times.
Now I'm ready to have at it again,,I chopped down 2 big red sativas that went hermi, draw back of a landrace,BUT,,,big but here,the tricomes on um are nasty sick to look at,, its like playing a vid game with a loupe,the trichs are packed tight next to each other and the longer ones have purple black heads,a man go blind looking at it.
Their de-seeded lightly chopped up and in the freezer.
Now I'm not looking for a full melt anything right off, Id be happy as hell with a good return of resins and something different and tasty,,besides if i did get a fullmelt i dont have anything proper to smoke it with...
Got everything on stand-by, need to wait till the sun goes down some and knock off a little heat, rainy seasons gone and the dry has set in gets hot round here.
I'll be back with the happening as it happens.
Sorry for the long winded post,,this is the only time I get to speak english..

masamaaso

Veteran
Had some internet issues to deal with but I think I got it for now,,,Dam Monkeys like to play on my tower and it screws up my sat reception,,everyone thinks their so cute and playful,,,and they are , till ya gotta live with um little f&^%s..
So I did the "noreason"method,,,went ok,,pretty good in fact if ya ask me,,Now I didnt get any fullmelt,,which is fine,,didnt really want that,,but what I did end up with is freakin sweetness,,,lets see if i can get some fotos up in proper order.. Number one is my "kit"
#2 is from the first run,6 grams of sweet blond "cheese"with the fruity smell the plant had.. #3 is the second run,,,this one turned out giving me 5 grams of bright green blobs that really look cool as hell and taste even better.#4 was run 3 giving off 4 grams of more sweet "stuff" and the last one is the 4th run using all the water from the other 3 and mixing for 15 mins,,,and as you can see its dark got a lot of veg matter in it, but is also some nice tasting hash no water flavor like the first time I tried the gumby method, this is a nice slab of dark cheese and came in at 6 grams..
Didnt get the "fullmelt" this thread is teaching and with enough time I might get there,,,but what I did get was 21 grams of bad ass smokein stuff from 2 big ass red bud hemis and I am happy as it gets,, bummer for me I wont have any trim to do it again for a few weeks or more, so thanks noreason for showing your method.
Peace

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see people having good result, even it it's not a full melt....me too, the first time I did this method I obtained a good bubbling hash, but nothing really exceptional, greener, with more impurities.

Extraction after extraction I achieved great result, but now I like more to use a one or a couple of screen to make the process faster, however if I want the purest hash the final step is to let the gravity does it work ;)

Try again and try to improve the method using fresh frozen weed, dry matter is not so good for this method where no screen can remove them ;)

Thanks for sharing your pictures masamaaso :wave:

masamaaso

Veteran
you got man,,,this is a great thread,,,now you mentioned screens,,,can i get ya to expand on that some and how your using them,,I have an idea that I think I may have "jacked" off this thread i dunno,,, ive already gathered the stuff for it and that would be a 3 bucket set-up with 2 screens,,,,To everyone else reading,,,,Is this the thread where I read that idea ??? I cant take credit for the idea but I plan on trying it the next run.
I'll post again when that happens ,,,,thanks again noreason....

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you got man,,,this is a great thread,,,now you mentioned screens,,,can i get ya to expand on that some and how your using them,,I have an idea that I think I may have "jacked" off this thread i dunno,,, ive already gathered the stuff for it and that would be a 3 bucket set-up with 2 screens,,,,To everyone else reading,,,,Is this the thread where I read that idea ??? I cant take credit for the idea but I plan on trying it the next run.
I'll post again when that happens ,,,,thanks again noreason....

Thanks to you bro :)

Well, let's say I use a big funnel, where at the end of it I can apply one or two screen.
I let the water fall down trough the screen ( instead of the long process to remove it from the top).
When all the water is gone, I take the wet resin and put it in a glass of clean water. Let sit for a while and then syphon it.

This allow to make very clean hash, but faster compared to syphoning several liters of water from the top.

Using one or two screen makes little difference in quality (this is strange to me, but it is) but give the possibility to keep separated bigger and smaller trichs.

If you'll go to look at my albums or my thread you should be able to see some pictures of the funnel, I don't remember where I posted them...

:wave: