What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nomaad Presents- Greenhouse:2010

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
...they're all pretty much the same thing anyway

That's what I thought. Leave it to nomaad to pull the wildcard...

Went with a 30x60 pro solar star for my back fourty. Maybe throw up a diy house to pull tarp over. Should be a lively year in the Ghouse forum...

P

planty

Hey you even fixed my spelling mistake.

I wonder if any bamboo will be involved in Nomaads green house. 30 x 60 is a nice space. The space in my yard is 100 x 100 ... I looked at putting 4 24 x 100 green houses but I rather just start them off in a 12 x 24 and run out doors, none of my strains need a cover to finish any way

G

guest1ab

That's what I thought. Leave it to nomaad to pull the wildcard...

Went with a 30x60 pro solar star for my back fourty. Maybe throw up a diy house to pull tarp over. Should be a lively year in the Ghouse forum...

uh-oh! we got fischer in the GH too!/?

localhero

whats up nomaad,
ive been following your threads from jump. love bamboo too, unfortunately the dead culms i used from the screen of unknown clumping bamboo in my yard to stake last summers outdoor grow transfered some kind of black mold onto my plants lol.
anyways, i saw in the tom hill thread that you were gonna use your old soil to start a garden. just wanted to share with you that my unadulterated use of the cucumber family to screen out my grow along recycled chainlink fence last summer acted as powdery mildew magnets. so yeah lotsa mold. the tomatoes though, great plants. still got pm from the cukes, but sponged up all the thrips. haha basically once the pm got hold the only thing unnafected was the sugar cane and passion fruit. ahh passion fruit. worlds best, fasted growing, fence filling, mold proof, privacy screen. cloning them right now.

peace out

nomaad

Veteran
thanks for the heads up.

the inside of my fenceline is covered in non-edible sweet pea... i have never seen anything so riddled with PM. the benefit of this was that I got to see which of my strains would be susceptible to it. It was not surprising that the pure indicas got it the worst and the more sativa-dom plants not at all. I kept it controlled with Kaligreen (potassium bicarbonate) which kills the stuff on contact, but also wound up losing some branches to sever alkaline burn from badly dissolved Kaligreen (aka greencure.) Every time I think of the stuff I spill a little from my 40 in honor of Silverback.

Solution: grow haze crosses. This year's garden will be full of the strains that did not succumb last year and a couple of new ones that seem to have enough haze in them to carry the trait of mold resistance that they would need to survive in the tropics.

I just spent a week amongst my bamboo plantings in el Honduragua... they have really exploded in terms of growth... I never got around to taking photos (I know...lame) but it was really something else to see them again...

T

theJointedOne

I kept it controlled with Kaligreen (potassium bicarbonate) which kills the stuff on contact, but also wound up losing some branches to sever alkaline burn from badly dissolved Kaligreen (aka greencure.) Every time I think of the stuff I spill a little from my 40 in honor of Silverback.

Solution: grow haze crosses. This year's garden will be full of the strains that did not succumb last year and a couple of new ones that seem to have enough haze in them to carry the trait of mold resistance that they would need to survive in the tropics.

doesn' t Pm suck. Really though it's like a learning tool we can use to adapt. Nomaad you have learned a lesson many of the old timers up here still haven't -GROW PM RESISTANT STRAINS!

i know its not easy but if you can find em' you can sit back and relax, well not completely, but at least you can focus your attention on other things.

pm is not only ugly it is dangerous. I recently ended up in the hospital with a lung infection that im pretty sure came from me puffin on some medicine from a friend that had pm on/in it. I dint look at the bud till after i rolled and smoked a j, it was on all the untrimmed fans and even on a few of the calyxs. Ill never make that mistake again. now that my lungs are better the mere thought of PM makes me quiver lol

ok Raspect brother

localhero

yeah it makes sense with the sativa doms being tropical growers. thing is, the only and i mean only plant not to get pm at all was one of my hindu kushes grown from seed. my thai x ssh had it although not nearly to the extent of the gods gift or afgan kush.

gf: hey what are these small white spots on some of the leaves?
me: hmm weird, must be residue from foliar feeding or something...

P

planty

If PM is a problem wettable sulfur and Calcium 25 @ 1/4 strength with Vitamin C on alternate schedules is a great program to keep their resistance to disease high.

So you're back, what'd you end up going with? And how are you going to ventilate it?

I'm thinkin' on what fans to drop my fun tickets on... I won't need much cooling power but I will need to move air to keep circulation high. I saw a solar job at the grow shop but I don't need that(solar)..I also didn't ask to turn it on or if I could run it on conventional power or if they had any alternate solutions...

I sort of hate the grow shops...between them not having the pieces of kit I want or knowing how to find them they don't leave much to love..

I was thinking about ordering the heater, thermostat and fans kit farm tek recommends for a 12x24.

My supplemental lights are only 45 watts each and I'm going to have 6 in the 12x24 and use 14 of them spread through the yard once I transplant to my main containers.

I found out I can get an automated light dep set up for $4000 out of laytonville so maybe I'll end up doing that ..it'd be 8 x 20 in the 12 x 24...

nomaad

Veteran
OK... I am back and the project has begun. So I guess I will spill the beans... it would have been more fun to post it once its up... because that is part of the beauty... its going to go up in a single day.

The idea of having a single 48 ft long greenhouse was not sitting well with me so I started considering multiple small greenhouses.... something about that appealed to me. Then I realized that i dont really need a HUGE greenhouse... what I need is about 400 sq feet of real greenhouse space and the same amount of space that I used for last year's light dep.... but all I need for that is simple PVC hoophouses... which I already have.

I also started thinking about how I am renting here and, even though folks at Code Enforcement consider a commercial greenhouse a "temporary" structure, I am never going to get a good value out of one of those things on the level of being movable to another location- anywhere in my own garden...or anywhere else. That ability, for a number of reasons, started to become very important to me.

Now... my last life was spent building pretty wild bamboo structures in the tropics and the idea of growing inside of a beautiful structure really appeals to me... a lot of die hard growers will call me foolish... but this Gh is not only a place where I will be growing ganja, but also where we'll be starting our seed for the family garden and where my kids will be learning everything from photosynthesis to fractions...

So... I bought a 24' geodesic dome with a custom greenhouse skin from Pacific Domes. It was not cheap. But the above factors add a lot of value for me. The name 'nomaad' has always been about pulling up tent stakes and flowing with the best energy possible to new places and new experiences and this fits perfectly into that paradigm.

domeplan.gif

the part labeled "round window" is an opening I added for a flange that will accept a 10" intake duct for active or passive ventilation. the solar fan can be replaced with regular ducting and AC fan. I also purchased a stovepipe kit that can be hooked up to the same place as the solar fan. top comes off and it has rollup sides. VERSATILE... ok, ok... capricious too, but I am going to be very happy gardening in it.

So far, we have leveled the spot. I am going to put down some nice landscaping rock in the next couple of days... that will be about one full day of work combined. The dome frame hardware was not sent to coincide with the frame struts or else the frame would be up by now... the covering will be done on march 2nd. I am hoping to have plants in and some supplemental lighting set up, along with a simple, lightweight and inexpensive blackout tarp of 6 mil black plastic that will be for light polution containment rather than deprivation.

I am also thinking about getting one of those spinning light movers to dump some hps on those cloudy March days.

nomaad

Veteran
I just found out that PM is a concern on one of the strains I was considering for the full season. The pineapple cough just got bumped into a black box slot. I am probably going to flower a couple of my moms in the greenhouse... I am considering an amphitheater style setup with some big trees in the back and a sea of green in front of it... The sun is still low in the sky thru march and april and this may maximize the use of that angle...

I am pretty disappointed about losing that strain in my full season OD... I am going to need a substitution... I still have the OG and Sour D in my stable of mom's... I should probably run a couple of them... but this is more of a discussion for the OD thread...

Also... a major concern for the coming week is getting last year's soil tested so that I can formulate a plan to rebuild it for the black bock and OD run. it... I am going to take a couple of samples and a sample of a fresh bag of the stuff i used last year. I am also going to get a sample from a few truck dirt companies. I just ordered 5 test kids from PVGS. Again, that is more of a topic for the OD thread...

Very cool I am definitely excited to see this constructed. I should of guessed you were gonna pull some wild idea out and not just a simple square.

nomaad

Veteran
I've also been giving a lot of thought to my schedule for the season and it looks like its going to have two greenhouse runs in it. One will start in a couple of weeks, and there will be a lot of Pineapple Cough in it. and the other will be a late season run of the Cough. According to its source, the Cough can go anywhere from 10-13 weeks, grower's choice. This would mean that its going to go well into the end of Novemver... but its worth letting it go. I will probably start vegging those in the GH in early July.

Thanks for the interest, everybody. I'll be throwing up photos later in the week as the build commences.

P

planty

I'll come through with something nice to replace the P cough don't worry.

Some how I knew you were going with a geodesic dome.. If only you used bamboo for all the struts I would be precognitive..

Maybe it's because domes are gettin' pretty popular...the grow store in town has a huge dome type green house with the same ceiling vent and solar fan set up

ROOTWISE

Veteran
Very cool....great idea nomaad. Will be fun to follow! Enjoy that Cough, she's a special one and worth the wait. I'll be curious to see how she does in a greenhouse, you should pull some serious weight....

P

planty

Also PM is only an issue if your program does not deal with it as if it is a problem that exists. For example, no sulfur spray rotated with 1/4 strength calcium 25 spray with vitamin C you probably will have PM problems..Low Ca and S content in the soil...probably will have a plant that will get disease easily... Sulfur and Calcium sprays rotated and the soil has a high level of the right stuff and they can't be stopped by nothing...except the choppa chop man. What's the floor space of a 24' dome work out to?

Latest posts

Latest posts