What's new

Nomaad III: 2011

nomaad

Veteran
feenom: Just because old-timers do it, doesn't mean its the right thing. Perhaps i should not have said "just about anything".... IME, Razzberry, NL5, Lemon Drop, Master Kush and several different deep chunk crosses inlcuding the CCM have been visually confirmed to flower under the current light cycles. They do revert to veg, some without appreciable problems and some that are completely ruined because of it.

Even if your plants don't visibly start to flower this does not mean they are not beginning to transition. The negative effects themselves may never be perceived with the eye but could manifest as a week of confusion at the beginning of June rather than the explosive growth that i hope you will see in my garden. The only way to know for sure is to test the plants for what hormones it is producing at what time.

Again, its largely strain dependent. As the days progress, you are less likely to have any problems. It will also depend on the lighting schedule it received before coming outside. If it was at 24/0, almost anything will indeed flower if you put it outside now. It may be effective to wind down the light cycle inside so that it matches perfectly with the conditions they will experience outside. This may obviate the need for supplemental lighting after the 15th of June.... but I am sticking with the supplemental.

Granted, I do not have the data to support a conclusion. All I have is a comparison of my first season's growth curve compared to that of my second season- the immediate growth after transplant was twice as dramatic in the second year when supplemental lighting was added (along with other things) to the program. Additionally, there were no visual signs of early flowering. I guess that is good enough for me.

I have also been able to appreciate that supplemental light is used in ALL the best gardens I have seen. I concede that this may only be proof that the best growers all just happen to use supplemental lighting due to a collective delusion that it is effective... OR... there may just be something to it.

Last edited:

odogyouknow

What up Nomaad, thought I would use this little lull before the season to ask you about your Veg program for your full season plants.

So, after going clone crazy in say march or mid march what do your use as far as lighting? Do you like to keep them inside under HID lighting, or do you try get em out there in your huge dome with some supp fluorescents asap?

I feel like a grower's March - April - May veg program is the most important thing for the season if sun, soil, and water are not limiting, and was wondering how you roll.

Have a great season. Peace.

nomaad

Veteran
There is a lull? LOL. We are going full steam here.

My clones come out of the EZCloner and go into 3.5" square pots and under T5s. 4 trays of 18 under each 4x4' T5 on shelves. The lights from the shelf below warm the trays above. As they reach the 14"-16" shelving ceiling, those that are destined for the full season pots go into 10 gallon pots, and those destined for the black box go into 2's and 5's... I'd put them all into 5's but I would run out of space under my main lights.

These pots live under a pair of XXXL hoods with 1000w MHs on a Light Mover 5 that travels along about 8 feet of track and covers a roughly 12x12 patch in the middle of a 24x24 garage. I have some 8x4' T5s around the perimeter because the main lights don't cover everything as well as I would like. The full season 10 gallon pots have had HID priority, but i think I am going to change it up next year and use 4x100MH on movers and use the space better. I have moms under T%s in the room as well. Its not nearly as chaotic as it way seem. Its actually pretty streamlined.

Everything went out into the dome around the first of May. Any earlier and things would just get out of hand. Black Boxes will be plugged by the end of the week in heated, supplementally lighted cheap-o commercial greenhouses and will veg till I think they are ready to flip. This is at least 14 days earlier than last year and the 800 gallon smartbeds from last year have been 86ed in favor of 45 gallon smartpots.

I agree 100% that a really great season starts in March and the best results come from better preparation, organization and cleanliness. The whole pre-season veg scene is one of my favorite parts. I guess I get to indulge in part of the indoor growing process. And now its over for the rest of this trip around the sun. Tom Hill came yesterday and picked up the last trays. I may fill the cloners one more time because ya never know who is going to show up in late June desperate for good outdoor plants.

Last edited:

nomaad

Veteran
soon come.

to be honest, I am not posting pics because everything looks just about the same as it did last year. as soon as there is something photogenic to post, you will all be the first to know.

nomaad

Veteran
Did you ever do that drip line experiment?

Yes. And I approve. Pretty much even distribution all over the zones. Each zone has 250 emitters. Pressure on the system is 40psi and there is a 20 psi limiter post-dosers, so I assume there is 20 psi on the system. Performace is virtually the same whereve we tested on the system.

Also: Been testing different soil samples by first saturating each sample and then running a gallon at a time through the soil and testing the run-off ppm.

It would seem that fresh FFOF is treated with a very soluable, readily available fertilizer. But after a few iterations of running a gallon of water through the soil and measuring ppm, FFOF looks just like my old soil with about 30lbs of fresh yummies in each 200 gallon container.

Tommorrow we will test a sample of amended soil that has been additionally treated with Verde. I think it will behave EXACTLY like a fresh round of FFOF+Perlite+Drymix within the scope of the testing we are doing.

nomaad

Veteran
Running the soil tests has made me, nerd that I am, hungry for more data. We bought a 100g pack of MycoStop thinking we'd be hitting the pots with it well into June... and then I read that the stuff degrades rapidly when it is opened!!

I only read this in one place and have not had a chance to call Verdera and ask them if this is true. We keep it refrigerated and in a ziplock... I would call now, but its saturday. Anyhow, I ordered a 10pack of agar filled petri dishes, ready to use and some sterile swabs. It is my intention to culture some Streptomyces Grisoveriidis (or not) from my current pack of Mycostop and see for myself if the stuff is still viable. I'll need a fresh pack of Mycostop to compare it to.

WPA

wow! getting scientific with it!

Your guys weather over the next few days looks pretty nice! How long until you start transplanting into smart pots? or have you?

I live up here in washington and our weather is shit this year. I for sure wont be planting until at least June 1st, maybe later than that :( and im running out of space in my veg and I need to put every thing into 5 gals!

Working around mother natures schedule can be interesting!

M

Mountain

Anyhow, I ordered a 10pack of agar filled petri dishes, ready to use and some sterile swabs. It is my intention to culture some Streptomyces Grisoveriidis (or not) from my current pack of Mycostop and see for myself if the stuff is still viable. I'll need a fresh pack of Mycostop to compare it to.
If you wanna try and keep things sterile I suggest you build a box of some sort and flower filtered air through it and create positive pressure and do all of your sampling, petri applications in that enviro to prevent any contamination. It's pretty easy to contaminate those dishes from stuff floating around in the air. Just needs to be big enough to put the plates, swabs, hands into and take your samples.

Pushing air through an inexpensive HEPA filter would help your new project out a lot. If you're gonna go through the trouble a few simple precautions would support a better test and greatly reduce the chance of contamination.

nomaad

Veteran
My goal is to put the plants out when the nights are steadily at or above 50F. The current 15 day forecast has that happening on June 11th. That's push from the 8th.

I was hoping to see the second week of that forecast get rosier, not shittier. That's farmin, I guess.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea weather been real shitty lately....i put 6 out of 18 out already and i swear they are gonna get blown off the face of the earth! fuckin tornadoes hit in butte county too.....

so your puttin 30lbs of wormcastings per 200? damn i need to step it up...ive only been putting 8lbs per 200,, i guess we will top dress in the future or simply add more to the next 12......the guys at the soil shop looked at me like i was crazy for adding more wormcastings to FFOF....but i cut my OF with Lightwarrior so i think its alright.

nomaad

Veteran
Here are the test results from two of the many soil samples we took this year.

The first: FFOF plus Age Old Dry Grow @ 1Tbsp/gallon of soil
soil%20tests%201-5%202011-005rs.jpg

Here is the same soil after last season... I should have collected them before the rainy/snowy winter. I will this year. The Higher levels of P can obviously be attributed to feeding bloom nutes and boosters in flower.
soil%20tests%201-5%202011-002rs.jpg