What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2019-2020

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Youre too right about the phone life cycle being longer now than they were even 5 years ago. Maybe the latest and greatest has a 10% faster chip or something but if your 3-4yr old phone still does everything you need it to then why spend to upgrade?
I was never into cameras, I’d imagine with how good phone cameras are unless youre a serious hobbyist or need it for work (social media ‘influencer’ or an actual photographer/videographer) you don’t have a DSLR. But I had a friend whose dad opened up a photography studio after he retired and ive heard that most of the expense is in the lenses, some of those lenses can cost 4-5x as much as a good camera body…

The most run heavy team now are the ravens, they rush on 55% of their plays, and set a league record for rush yds in 2019, but even then Jackson led the league with 35 pass tds (mvp season). The seahawks and niners, like SDD mentioned, when theyre run-heavy, will rush like 51-52% of the time. Most of the time the run-heaviest teams will have a running QB, so if SDD is right and trey lance is the starter sometime his rookie year, he’s much more mobile than garappolo so I could see a lot of designed runs being part of the gameplan.

But you make an interesting point, Pop, is that the league is all about the passing attack, having a great QB and elite receivers, 3+ WR formations, spreading out the defense and throwing short, middle, deep. But what if there’s some bad team with a new coach that’s desperate to try something new, and decide to sign all the unwanted players like Off lineman who suck at passblocking but are road-graders when run-blocking, QBs who suck in the pocket but good in play action and scrambling, and RBs who are downhill runners but cant pass block or catch to save their life? These are players who are mostly unwanted in today’s league but if you got them all together and committed to a 1980s or 90s style of old school offense, and just ran the ball down people’s throats and played keep away from the opponent’s high flying offense, 8-10 minute scoring drives, even if it only ends in a FG? With a stout defense, you could win a bunch of games like that, right?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i agree that b'more is the most run orriented team right now and a big part of that is l.jax
like you mentioned baba, he can burn you through the air trowing tds but is also one of the most exciting runners in the game right now
add in the ground game and the ravens are a very run heavy team, evne if not by design; some plays might start out as passing plays, but end up being lamar getting freaky with his feet
/seahawks are the same, with wilson being another mobile qb
i am a fan of qbs who can move but most end up becoming pakcet passers as they age, using their arm more and the feet simply to buy time for their receivers down field
i would love to see san fran get back to a move ground based offense
stick around sdd420, the nfc.w is going to be red hot this season
a team built around ball controll will always be a threat, especially if they have a decent defense
like you said,turn the game into a battle of field position; but you are also making the other team playing against the clock too
i bet you could put together a pretty fun team of bad news bears type players and with the right system they could hold their own or even win it all
it would also need a brutal defense to hold the other team in check and with the new rules re: hitting the passer and recievers this is getting harder and harder to do

your friends dad was spending his money right with his photography business
a good photographer buys camera bodies, but invests in the lens
you will most likely upgrade your camera body several times over your career but if you get top quality glass you keep that stuff forever
luckily ha wasnt an sports/action photgrapher, those are the lenses that are going to run you into the 10s of thousands of dollars

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, when they debuted their new offense in 2019 (lamar’s mvp season), the ravens head coach says they were using concepts not seen in the nfl in decades, stuff like the single wing, triple option attacks, etc. Lamar actually had almost 1200yds rushing that year, if you took away his passing stats he still would have been a top 5 RB that year.

Russell’s in his 30s now and has publicly said he wants a better O-line, he doesn’t want to absorb the punishment anymore. But pete carroll is someone who always wants to establish the run, and they’ve had some good RBs over the years, lynch was their workhorse, now it’s chris carson sharing carries with 1 or 2 others. That was another point that rubbed Wilson the wrong way, the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] half of last season they were heavily pass oriented and he was putting up mvp stats, but then he started throwing more int’s than normal and they lost a couple games, and carroll quickly switched back to the ground and pound. They started winning again but the meme “Let Russell cook” is still a thing, you have an elite QB you should let him pass more, especially in big games/playoffs.

Yeah I heard some of those telephoto lenses are worth tons of money, and the nice thing is even if theyre decades old you can still use them with current cameras.

Supposedly julio jones wants a trade, and the falcons are willing to trade him for a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rd pick. That’s kind of steep for a guy who’s been injured a lot the past couple seasons and is the highest paid receiver in the league, but if youre very needy at WR and have the cap space…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i had my eye on this j.jones thing and it looks like he really wants out
unfortunately, i think the asking price might be a little too rich for the market, especially considering that he dosent want to play for atl anymore
/if they dont shift him what do you think the chances of him sitting out are?1?
he hasnt been at the top of his game and the asking price is steep, but i woulent be suprised to see someone bite
you are so right about russ needing to be the focus of sea offence, but pete carroll is a weirdo so who knows what kooky offense hes going to call
/i think lamar jax will evolove into a more r.wilsn type qb over time, a very mobile pocket passer who isnt looking for contact

so do you have a long weekend coming up? what are your plans

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Supposedly the falcons have already got an offer of a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rd pick for him but I guess theyre still shopping him around? Or maybe theyre lying, GMs and agents are notorious BS’ers when it comes to trades and drafts and contracts.
Julio is set to make 15M this season (he already got his signing bonus a couple years ago) so that’s what, like 850k per game over 17 games? He’s banked about half of what Rodgers made in his career so far (125M vs 250M) so im thinking he wont sit out. They have a new coach (Arthur smith, former Off Coor of the titans) so maybe their offense will be consistently good again and they could be a good team again, even though julio is sick of the ‘good one season, bad for the next 3 seasons’ cycle.

Maybe carroll still has PTSD from when they passed from the 1yd line in the superbowl and Wilson got picked off when they could have given it to lynch instead. Maybe that’s why he insists on pounding the rock.

I saw some ravens games last year and I think lamar was taking more hits last season than the year before, his mvp season. So youre probably right, he’s got to evolve his game from the pocket, it’s nice to have such a dynamic runner at QB but you have to think he can only take hits like that for a few years before the injuries start to accumulate…

No plans for the long weekend, it’s been cold and rainy the past couple days but this weekend should be sunny and 60-70F, so nice weather to BBQ. Maybe I’ll grab a pork shoulder and do a smoke or something, or a chuck roast and make some faux burnt ends…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening baba! how have you been brother
what a crazy month of may! a lot of stuff going on and im just taking things in stride and looking ahead to the summer
how was your long weekend? did you end up cooking out or anything like that
haven really heard a lot of interesting football related things, but a friend was all into some world hockey thing going on the other week
/at least i think it was hockey
we will see where j.jones ends up and how willing other teams are to take on an aging wr who makes huge money
just ducked into pft and it looks like the chiefs are being asked about going 20-0
i guess with the new shcedule that is the new goal, but we will see
got any plans for this weekend? im helping a friend move some stuff tomorrow and am hoping to hit the trails if i get a chance
hope your spring is in full swing and you are set for summer brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I didn’t actually get a chance to do any grilling or smoking over memorial day weekend, although I did fry up some hot dogs on the stove lol does that count? I need to hit up the store today and get some groceries, ill see what kind of meat they have for a good price. Pork shoulder most likely, maybe a top sirloin or chuck roast too.

The NHL playoffs are going on right now, I think the Toronto maple leafs had a 3-1 series lead and ended up losing, I don’t follow hockey at all unless the blackhawks are doing well but I guess the leafs are like the NY knicks of hockey, the most valuable franchise in the sport but hasn’t won a championship in decades.

I think a lot of teams are interested in julio, it’s a passing league now and if he’s healthy (big “if” I know) he’s still a dangerous weapon. I heard even the rams are interested in him, im not sure atlanta wants to wait till 2025 for the rams next available 1st round pick but maybe a 2nd and a 4th will get it done…

Im not sure any team is going to go 20-0 but the chiefs did upgrade their O-line this past offseason, lost a couple guys but signed a couple guys, including kyle long who was retired and sucked for the bears the couple years before that but if he’s fully healthy is probably still above average at least. Also getting some guys back who opted out last year cause of covid. So long as you give mahomes time to throw u know theyre going to score points, if the D is anywhere in the top half of the league you know theyre going to be a top seed.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
frying hot dogd up on the stove? like in a frying pan
did you split them down the middle and butterfly them before putting them into the pan?
i used to love hot dogs like that when i was a kid but mostly just boil them now because its easy
pork shoulder sound nice and a good beef roast is always nice
yeah i dont follow hockey at all either but a friend of mine does; hes from europe so i think its more a sport over there
that would be interesting if j.jones landed on la; but i wonder how much they would be willing to invest
/i hear he might want a new contract after the trade
plus like you said, they dont have a lot of chips left on the table for the next few years so maybe it would be better spending that money else where
we will see who is the next team to run the board and win out an entire season
i dont see it happening anytime soon, but if i had to pick a team i would have to put kc in the top-3
cant wait for the summer to kick off
im hanging up the sweat pants and transitioning to shorts as the weather gets nice
hope you have a great weekend my man!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yup, just fried up in a pan with a little oil. Sometimes if im making fries in the air fryer ill pop the dogs in there halfway through and they get nice and crisped up that way also. These dogs were kind of thin so no butterflying, a lot of places that serve polish sausages around here will butterfly those before cooking, get that nice char on the inside and outside…
Boiling hot dogs is the default, since theyre fully cooked just need to heat them up a bit but I like a little char on mine so I like to fry them. Microwaving them is the fastest and laziest method but probably doesn’t taste as good.

Julio is 32 years old already and missed 7 games last year from injury, his current contract runs out in 2023 so even if he gets an extension it wont be for as much as before, when he got a record-setting (for a WR) 22M/yr. I figure if he settles for 15-17M/yr that would be a fair price and also allow his team to retain or get other good players.

Rams have been super aggressive under snead and mcvay with going all in every year to make a super bowl run. I commend them for realizing quickly that goff isnt the QB that can do that and trading for Stafford. That’ll be one of the big stories next season, what Stafford can do on an actual good team with an actual good coach. He was a divisional rival of the bears but I have no particular animosity towards him.

Im not sure any team is going to go 17-0 anytime soon but I guess the chiefs would be the most likely to do it. Still, no team wants to jeopardize their chances at a ring by getting players hurt in a meaningless game, if some team is 15-0 or 16-0 and has their playoff seed locked up I doubt they would play their most important starters just to get to 17-0…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
im excited to see what the rams look like this year with stafford under center
goff just wasnt getting it done and it became so obvious last season that they had to do something
i cant wait to see how they look with a decent qb man and like you said, they are going all in again for a ring this year
/we will see how they turn out 5y from now
yeah i like that char too and i got some hot links the other day
im going to hit the grill this weeeknd and i figured that since i got the hot coals, put on some sausages/ hot dogs
the hot links were an upgrade but i love that grilled meat taste
dude, ive never heard of air frying a hot dog?!?
i dont have an air fryer but man im going to have to get on this!
/head explodes
thats the thing about j.jones; how many games are you getting out of him and what will he want to play for$$$

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Stafford has had lots of practice playing come from behind hero ball which was goff’s weakness, when you put it on his arm to win a game he couldn’t get it done. I think like 3 years ago the lions won 9 games and in 8 of them they were losing in the 4th qtr and Stafford had to lead go ahead drives.

If anything the Rams D is going to be a big factor in if they can make a superbowl run this season, they lost their boy genius D-coordinator to the stadium co-tenant chargers so we’ll see, even if they take a step back they should still be a top 6-7 defense.

Ive been using the air fryer a lot lately, haha, you can make home made French fries too, cut up a potato toss it in some oil with salt and then cook that up for 15 mins. For hot dogs you can get a nice char on the outside in half that time and they’ve got enough fat that you don’t need any extra oil. It’s also good for frozen fries out of the bag, they don’t need any oil either cause they feel a little greasy even when frozen.

It’s hard for any team to afford multiple record-setting contracts at one time, I think the bears D had Khalil mack and eddie Jackson (safety) as the league leaders at their position in terms of pay and they had to let go of some useful players (leonard Floyd, kyle fuller, Adrian amos, that LB who went to the raiders, etc). You sacrifice overall depth and talent for elite players. We’ll see if julio can get himself to a championship caliber team and also put his injury woes behind him. Supposedly he’s going to Tennessee for a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] rd pick, with aj brown and derrick henry that’s a pretty potent offense assuming everyone is healthy…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening my man! hope you had a great weekend
was i tripping or was there football on this weekend? like it was some kind of minor league teams
/and i swear i saw aj green lined up wide on one of the teams
it was fun but nothing like the real thing
i could see the rams having a top-10 offense / defense
with the addition of stafford the offense is steped up; we lost some tallent on the D (coaching) but i think the unit can still put the heat on
the rams have tallent from head to toe on D but maybe lack depth
that air fryer thing sounds great and the other dy i saw some frozen chicken strips that said "air fryer" on them
i might need to get on this band wagon at some point
got a bunch of hot links the other day but i havent been able to fire up the grill
i have some ny strips so im going to get it on tomorrow and since the coals will be hot roll a few hot links around too
the deal you mentioned for j.jones sounds more palatable; a 2nd and 4rth, those are still good draft spots
/i just had a hard time swallowing the whole #1 for him
you are right that wiht d.henery and aj brown the team looks stacked and i think that would put them in a good position to win their division
hope you had a great weekend and kicking ass this week
might roll out to texas and pick up some new wheels
my sister was going to scrap his old chevy z71 (i think 2003) but said he would giv it to me if i came out and picked it up
its a kick ass ride and i could turn that into a sweet ass camping truck for a few grand
sounds interesting, no?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That’s weird, I know you mentioned it previously that you were seeing some football games recently but I figured maybe you were watching re-runs or something? I know mini-camps have been going on this past week and this week also so maybe that’s what you were seeing, some intrasquad practices? Were they wearing pads or just jerseys, shorts and helmets?
AJ green is on the cardinals now, on a 1yr 6M deal, his last good year was 2017 so not sure how much he’ll contribute but with DeAndre Hopkins, Christian kirk and andy Isabella, he can go up against #3 or 4 cornerbacks.

Rams have Raheem morris as their new D-coordinator, he has some head coaching experience with the bucs and last year with the falcons when they fired dan quinn. Hopefully he’ll keep most of brandon staley’s scheme.

I think there’s some devices that are both insta-pot (pressure cooking, slow cooking) and also capable of air frying, so maybe that’s something you can look into. Always nice to have one device with multiple roles.

The falcons gave julio 22M/yr for 3 yrs with almost all of it (64M) guaranteed, so that’s why no teams were interested in giving up a lot of draft capital. It’s not a bad deal for the falcons either, they get cap space and some decent draft picks. We’ll see how the titans do, they might have stiff competition with the colts in the afc south, also deshaun Watson is still on the Texans and jags have a shiny new QB. Maybe this is their year to shine before the texans and jags get good again, but the bills and chiefs are the favorites in the AFC anyway, and the browns look to be even better, and the patriots could be a thing again.

Chevy silverados are good trucks, they’ve been making them a long time so parts are always plentiful and the price is right (free). You thinking of putting a pop-up camper in the flatbed? Is it 4 wheel drive? I guess if there are camping spots you want to get to but need 4WD to safely do it then that opens up a lot more areas for you. Hopefully it doesn’t need a ton of repairs on a regular basis to keep it going, I know you wont be putting that many miles on it (just weekend trips etc) but taking it over rough terrain could stress it out, hopefully the shocks and axles and all that are in good shape…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening baba, hope your week is rolling by and you are set for a great weekend
the truck is 4wd, its the z71 edition so it has all sorts of fancy bells and whistles like a beefed up suspension and the large v8 engine
/plus comsmeti upgrades inside
its nice to have the 4low option and it seems like a decent off roader
i think im going to make it more a camp wagon and maybe put a shell on it at some point
i think the texans are in a tight spot this year with the d.watts situation; even if he gets off, he is probably going to miss some games
colts could be the next best team but with the loss of rivers i think there might be a transition period to get over
i totally agree that its a kc, buffalo are the hot thing right now with the browns on the rise
jax is kind of the wild card here
i think it was the new jersey generals that were playing ut wheni tried to looki inot their schedule i was stimied
im going to pay more attention next time i see any pig skin on tv
cant wait for the season to start but im going to enjoy every moment of summer time until then
have a great day brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That’s cool, didn’t know the Z71 was the upgraded version, never did have a pickup of my own but theyre very useful vehicles of course. Sounds like a bit of a gas guzzler but with 4wd and a v8 im sure its towing capacity is very good, you can tow a camper trailer as an option. I think camper trailers are pretty cheap too, relative to RVs and such, although the older and cheaper they are the more maintenance might be required. Still, maybe in 6mths to a year you can be boondocking for a week or two at a time in your nice new camper home, and have the separate vehicle if you need to run into town for supplies. Much more comfy than tent living or cap camping.
Well one thing in watson’s favor is that all the women who want to sue him have come out already, so now maybe he can pay them off and move on with his life. And of course he’s got to change his behavior as well, creeping on women is never a good look.

Colts have wentz and if frank reich can get him back to elite qb play (he was wentz’s Off-coordinator in 2017 when wentz was almost mvp) then they got a chance to be special; they have a decent defense, good skill players (RBs and WRs), good O-line. Just need a general to run that offense, an old-ass rivers was more than decent and they won a playoff game but im sure they want more.

Haha I had to look up NJ generals, wasn’t that a USFL football team back when a bunch of billionaires (including trump) tried to set up a rival football league in the early 80s? If you saw some rerun of that wouldn’t it have looked like old footage, grainy and not HD?
But ur right, there usually is some sort of football in the spring, during the pandemic it was the XFL, the year before it was the AAFL, and I think the CFL (Canada) also plays in the spring. Also Arena Football is in the spring too but I think they folded a couple years ago.
I guess that’s the dream of every upstart football league, giving spring football to nfl fans who are missing their weekly fix during the offseason. There’s certainly plenty of ex-NFL guys and ex-college stars who could fill up a new league but they never seem to last, the revenue doesn’t justify the expense and even billionaires don’t want to lose millions every year waiting or hoping for a profit down the line…

So I wasn’t able to do any grilling/smoking over the holiday weekend, and when I went to sams this week the meat prices were quite a bit higher than normal so being the cheap fook that I am, I went to Checkers for a burger. Here’s a big buford, free when you fill out their survey receipt and buy a large drink. Checkers/rallys is hit or miss, when it’s bad it’s really bad, when it’s good it’s as good as good MCD or BK. This one was good thankfully.

checkers big buford.jpg

Attachments

• checkers big buford.jpg
    checkers big buford.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 12

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh man! that burger looks grinding!
rally burgers brings back memories for me
we dident have checkers here in san diego, but we used to have rally burgers
when i was in college i used to go there all the time and get like the three tacos for a dollar deal, with a burger and fries
it was all dirt cheap but when you are a kid you eat that kind of stuff up
i would still go but they dont have them here anymore, the last time i went to a rallys was when we were camping up north and we saw one in some podunk town
the football looked recent; no fans in the stadium and people on the sidelines wearing covid masks
ill pay more attention to it if i see it again, but im hoping to do some hiking this weekend if i can
the truck would be nice to fix up and i will make some decisions when i go out and pick it up
i need it to be able enough to get me home (from tx to san diego) so im going to get the fluids and all that stuff changed
/$600-$700:: $700
but i might also put some money into body work and paint if i really like the truck by bil said it might need new tires too
/we will see but i also talked to him about how if i got the trcuk home and dident like it i would sell it to recoup my costs
im on the fence about wentz but you are right about the cotls defense
they have one of the best young defenses in the league and are worth keeping an eye on

shithawk420

Veteran
That burger looks a lot better than McDonald's and burger king.looks homemade actually.

I wish Chicago still had an arena football team.it was the Chicago Rush.i went to a game one time.it was in Rosemont.
It was so much fun.the cheerleaders are only 20 feet away

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, checkers and rally merged years ago and made their menus the same. So basically theyre the same restaurant now. Ur right, it’s cheaper than other fast food places, if you don’t consider coupons, but when made right it’s more than ok, imo. Can’t complain, the burger was free, just paid $3 for a stupidly large soda haha.
Never knew them to have tacos, maybe that’s a rally’s thing, especially in California. I think quite a few fast food places in cali serve tacos even when their main menu is something else. Were the rallys tacos using that cat food meat like JitB and BK use?

It’s weird youre seeing football now, do you know what channel it was on? Im guessing if you saw AJ Green, a real NFL player (even though he’s not that good anymore), it can’t be like a spring league.

Yeah, that’s the thing with older vehicles, is the upkeep and maintenance required is so much more than newer vehicles. I mean, tires and oil changes and batteries etc, you have to do on newer vehicles too but once a car gets much past 100K those things seem to wear out faster, like new tires and batteries never seem to last as long as the manufacturer OEM stuff. Or maybe it’s cause im usually getting the cheaper stuff, lol.
Has the truck been looked over by a mechanic? Maybe the guy doing the fluid changes can give it the once over and let you know any possible issues.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening brother! hope you are having a great weekend!
i was more observant this time when i saw the football action and even had a freind txt me the names when we were watching it on tv friday night
it is the spring league
the teams we saw were the sea lions and i saw a couple other teams play too
you could see a big difference in the quality of play; on one passing play the defender was so burnt he was just sort of looking at the stars as he got totally turned around
it was decent football action, somewhere between college and maybe semi pro?
i was talking to my sister and she said when she picks me up we can have burgers
she named a place called whataburger? ive enver had it but she said its kind of like in and out
i cant wait to head out and check out teh truck
the greatest part is, my nephew (secret squirl) is going be there
no one else really knows he will be there, hes flying out and just going t take an uber to my sisters house and suprise them
he knows his way around a truck and we are btoh going to get this rig up and running
hope you are having a great weeknd! grilled up some nice steaks the other day and hankering for a nice pizza today
the heat is on brother here and it feels like summer is about to kick off
have a great day my friend!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
holy crap dude, i thought i got back to you a while ago
/tirns out the forum saved my previous post!! ^
i guess the message did not post or i was just stoned...
/im just going to type away and pst them both
so i saew more of that football again this past weekend, its the spring league
its ok, like something between college and minor league football
the team i got to see was called the sea lions or something like that, they were just ok; on one play their defender got totally turned around and it was like he was watching clouds out there
i used to love rallys when i was in school and would grind their cheap burgers after class
the tacos were like ground beef, not like the vat food tacos you get at jitb
hope you are having a great week my man! its freaking hot here in some places but we are not that bad
kick ass my man and lets get the weekend started!

Latest posts

Latest posts