What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Americangrower

Veteran
Hmm Pats reached out to Danny Woodhead today, wonder why I didn't think of that. Oh wait
if he wants another cheap alternative he can bring in Danny Woodhead (just released) for next to nothing
LOL

Pats traded with Cle for Jason McCourty (devin's twin) and a 7th rounder for a 6th rounder. Which is what 3 spots?

This is why the pats couldnt afford to keep solder, dion, amendola, butler.

No they have the cap room to sign them, Bill just isn't stupid enough to do it. He will take the picks and sign released players from other teams that don't cost any comp picks.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
it would be interesting to see suh go to NE and play for ol'bill
he seems to be able to really get the most out of his tallent and i think suh could make an impact
the crab legs we see at the chineese buffets arent that bad, about on par with what you would get at the grocery store
not too much work and you get some nice "dippers"; thats what we call the larger segments
i usually dont even mess with the small pieces, those about the diameter of a pencil or less
yeah baba', the golden corral wasnt a big hit wiht me or the mrs and we probably wont be going back
the folks inside werent that bad but there were plenty of homeless people in the area (el cajon blvd is known for its skid row vibe and hooker hotels)
if nothing else, it only reaffirmed my resolve to never let myself be a bum living off filth and garbage on some dirty city street
/i would be more of a wild man recluse who lived out in the woods subsisting on my own home grown and what i could catch myself

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Woodhead is an elite pass catching back, his only problem is staying healthy. He missed most of last season with hamstring issues, the year before with an acl, 2014 a broken leg. But i guess that is why he's available now, and probably for real cheap. And the pats have burkhead, white and gilleslee to share the load even if he cant play.

I didnt know devin and jason were twins. Jason should take butler's spot, and for a lot less $ than what butler got from the titans, but the pats still need help in their front seven.
Are you sure the pats could have afforded solder (15M/yr, a record for an o-lineman), dion (5M yr) and butler (12M yr)? Maybe, but they would have had to cut other players. The patriots are good in that they dont sign players to record-setting contracts; they figure if they can get 80-90% of the production for 10-20% of the cost, they can use the savings for roster depth. With 30+ starters (offense, defense, special teams), you really need good players across the board to consistently win.

Sorry to hear the experience was soured by the street scene outside, Pop. I guess california is a haven for the homeless, with the good year round weather and all.
So if you were homeless, you'd be more of a forest raccoon than a trash panda? :biggrin:
The way nature intended it to be, although eating bugs and worms wouldnt be my thing. Berries and crawfish i could get down on though...

Americangrower

Veteran
Woodhead is an elite pass catching back, his only problem is staying healthy. He missed most of last season with hamstring issues, the year before with an acl, 2014 a broken leg. But i guess that is why he's available now, and probably for real cheap. And the pats have burkhead, white and gilleslee to share the load even if he cant play.

I didnt know devin and jason were twins. Jason should take butler's spot, and for a lot less $ than what butler got from the titans, but the pats still need help in their front seven.
Are you sure the pats could have afforded solder (15M/yr, a record for an o-lineman), dion (5M yr) and butler (12M yr)? Maybe, but they would have had to cut other players. The patriots are good in that they dont sign players to record-setting contracts; they figure if they can get 80-90% of the production for 10-20% of the cost, they can use the savings for roster depth. With 30+ starters (offense, defense, special teams), you really need good players across the board to consistently win.

Sorry to hear the experience was soured by the street scene outside, Pop. I guess california is a haven for the homeless, with the good year round weather and all.
So if you were homeless, you'd be more of a forest raccoon than a trash panda? :biggrin:
The way nature intended it to be, although eating bugs and worms wouldnt be my thing. Berries and crawfish i could get down on though...

No doubt that Woodhead has had many injuries but no more than Lewis. The trick is with small rb's you have to limit plays like they did with Lewis this year. Then at the end of the year he was still healthy and fresh , the same can be said for Amendola. I still can't believe Lewis got 6 mil. I'm happy for him but he is not a every down back.

They offered Solder 12 mil a very fair price, he isn't worth 15 IMO he isn't worth the 12 mil.
As for Butler he is an OK corner by no means a lock down corner. Which is what he got paid as.Tenn is in for a shock when the see how much teams go at him because he likes to go after the ball instead of the player. Theres a reason why teams went after him instead of Gilmore.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, i think dion didnt play until the 2nd half of the season because of injuries, but when he came back he played like an elite back, and now he's getting paid like one. I guess Tennessee likes overpaying patriots players, lewis and butler this year, logan last year.

There's reportedly friction in the organization because brady and gronk are feeling disgruntled at belichick's rough treatment. Banning brady's health guru alex guerrero has tommy feeling unappreciated and bullied. Gronk may be itching for a new contract and also feels miserable playing for bill.
It probably wont have much effect on this upcoming season but who knows about 2019. Maybe brady wants to play for a team more accepting of his trainer's presence. Miami? New York?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
brady has been playing at well below market value for years
the gourmet guru must be a distraction or why would bill ban him?
/or is there a policy about outside trainers in the team facilitys

i was talking to my buddy
i told him how it was kind of a let down by the dinner foods and he said we should have gone for breakfast/brunch
stuff like biscuits and gravy, sausages, waffles plus lunch stuff like fried chicken
his plan is to go near the change over and try the best of both worlds
we'll see... there are jsut so many other places i would like to try
trash pandas: im going to hvae to remember that one baba' / lmao!
the nice weather sure attracts the homeless as well as a generous population in some areas
the problem has gotten so bad that the city is having to bleach the streets in a lot of areas because of the filth
downtown they are having outbreaks of hepatitis and are now forming a special enforcement division to deal with the street homeless
who knows what the answer is, but in a lot of cases, you cant help someone who dosent want to be helped

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Not sure why belichick banned guerrero from the team, but maybe it's because his training methods were conflicting with the team's own trainers/medical staff.
I think on brady's facebook show, tom vs time, there was a scene where brady and guerrero had to set up a makeshift massage room in the stadium, and had to block the windows with cardboard or something, and brady was like 'this is ridiculous'. Which i get his point, it would be like if the 49ers made joe montana ice his knees in the janitor's closet or something...

I love a good breakfast buffet, and that sounds like the best of both worlds, going for a late breakfast and then catching the lunch food. Fried chicken is often the best thing that these buffets can make...

Yeah, im guessing most homeless people have mental illness and/or substance abuse issues, so they prefer to be homeless and free instead of living in govt provided housing.
I know a guy in portland who says that the city gives out free tents and sleeping bags to the homeless there. I guess if theyre camping out in the woods they wouldnt be a bother in the city, but if theyre just setting up tents in the city that's not great for the people who live there and have to walk past.

The Jets traded their #6 overall pick and three 2nd round picks (2 this year, 1 next year) to the Colts for their #3 overall pick. I guess this means the jets want to ensure they get one of the top 3 qb's. The colts meanwhile will still get a talented player at #6 (Bradley Chubb, Quenton Nelson?) and three 2nd round picks (their own plus the Jets') to surround Andrew Luck with talent. If they hit on all of their picks, colts could immediately become good again...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the jets trade is huge, 2nd round picks are often first round tallent
with a chance to draft this many player this high in the draft, could this be the begining of a new era for the NYJ and colts?
i wouldent be surprised to see another big trade to move up in the first round from another team hoping to cash in on this years bounty of potential qb tallent
like you said baba', if they can hit on their picks this year, IND could be back in buisness
so who do you tihnk the colts are looking at and were willing to trade down for?
/my gut says they are looking at someone on D (chubb) with their first round pick unless the browns pass on barkley, could another trade be in the cards?
what a crazy off season its been so far, and things are about to get interesting!

i agree baba, that most hardcore homeless are on drugs or suffer from some kind of mental issues
here in san diego, there is no real reason to sleep on the streets other than you refuse to sober up for the night or have some kind of serious behavioral problems
there are so many charities that will take a person in as long as they can play by certain rules ( dont cause trouble and dont be high/drunk)
mrsChicky mentioned the other day about how you dont see a lot of homeless women with kids living on the streets
i figured that because they have kids they are often given preferential treatment for housing and are more motivated to change their life
most of the bums dont have what it takes to live off the land,brother
/they are strung out on hard drugs and dont have the survival skills to live too far away from that next fix
i feel bad for the mentally unhinged, but you cant commit someone against their will or force them to get help
i loves me some good breakfast foods, brother!
but we rarely go out to eat breakfast
just like wiht good bbq, breakfast food is not cheap and i often feel like i can just make it just as good myself at home for much less
hope your week is off to a great start my man, spring is right around the corner!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It's interesting in that teams will often prefer to draft a 2nd round talent in the 1st round, since 1st rounders are under 5 yr rookie contracts and 2nd rounders only 4 yrs, so that's an extra year of cost control if the player turns out to be good.
The jets have not really inspired a lot of confidence in their ability to build a championship caliber team; if anything i could easily see them blowing this pick on someone like josh allen, who looks like a bust imo, but i could very well be wrong.
Supposedly the bills might trade their two 1st rounders (#12 and #22 overall) to move up, dont know if thats enough to get the giants #2 overall pick, or if the giants stay put and pick their qb of the future. Which, considering eli hasnt been good the last 2 years, and probably only has another year or two of decent play left in him, would probably be a smart choice.
Colts are the only team with a top pick who dont need a qb (well, broncos at #5 have case keenum for 2 years but may still pick a qb for the future), so they'll probably get chubb or quenton nelson. As a 4 win team, they really need help everywhere.

Making breakfast at home is usually pretty easy and cheap: fill up and turn on your coffeemaker, fry up some eggs and bacon, toast some bread, you've got a nice meal in 15mins. But people are often rushing out the door in the morning, so theyre lucky to grab a granola bar and an energy drink...

I would think most people wouldnt have the skills to live off the land, it's just not something people in 1st world countries are commonly taught. Even for people who do a lot of camping and hunting/fishing, they're never out there for more than a week or two at a time, and when they come back they need a good shower and shave and are glad to be back home. But yeah, if youre in the throes of addiction or mental instability, you cant even take care of yourself when a bathroom/shower are readily available, much less deep in the woods...

iTarzan

I promise I won't go all Andrew Luck crazy on you guys, but... If Luck is healthy again the Colts will win 11 games just like they did his 1st 3 years. Luck really can carry a team. His last healthy year he threw 40 TD passes. There are only 8 QBs who have ever done that. Brady did it once and it took him 10 years, Favre never did it. Big Ben has never done it. It has been done 12 times by 8 different QBs. Marino, Manning, Rodgers and Brees did it twice. Stafford, Warner, Brady and Luck did it once.

I think I might take Marino over all of them.

I just hope Luck is back healthy. The Colts can make some nice draft picks to help him out. I wanted them to just stick with the 3rd pick and get a difference maker. They still will be able to get a top 3 pick because at least 4 out of the 6 top picking teams want a QB.

The free agents that the AFC teams signed (not Colts) make the AFC South even better now. Plus the Texans get their QB back and signed the honey badger. Could 4 teams from 1 division make the playoffs? If they all split division games they would all be 3-3. With just 1-2 losses against the rest of the league they could all finish 11-5 or 12-4. With no losses outside the division the AFC South could have 4 teams at 13-3. LOL! That would be cool.

I will take the Colts out of it so I don't sound like a homer lovin on my own team. The Jags, Texans and Titans are going to kick some serious ass this year. They will all be very hard to beat. IMHO there has been a shift in power in the AFC. The road to the SB isn't going through New England or Pittsburgh this year. They could be making road trips this year.

I think Denver will end up with Barkley with pick #5. They seem to always get a steady supply of good RBs in Denver. Terrell Davis and Porter come to mind.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I remember the year luck threw 40 tds, i think he lead the league in fantasy points that year. In my fantasy draft he went in the 5th or 6th round, so that was quite a return for a mid round pick...

I wasnt much into football during marino's heyday but ive heard his super quick release was one of his best aspects. Before a defensive back could blink, the ball would be out of his hand and in the air.

Im not sure that an entire division would go 13-3 but i suppose it's possible. Jags went to the afc championship, texans get deshaun watson back, and colts get luck back. Titans i think are a bit iffy but they have a new (better, in theory) coach and went to the playoffs last year.

I think saquon barkley will get picked by the browns at #4, unless a qb needy team trades up with them.
Denver needs help on offense in general, if they stay at #5 i could see them taking a QB or OL before RB. Their best RB's have been drafted outside the 1st round.
If that happens then barkley might fall to the colts at #6, which would be a steal for them. Marlon mack has flashed some good potential but saquon looks like he could be the next adrian peterson, only he can catch and run out of the shotgun...

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Per league sources, lol jk.....there is a rumor though of a giants browns trade. Browns would receive Odell while the giants would get the browns 4th and 33rd overall picks.

Odell amazing as he is seems like a pain in the ass to work with. I wouldn’t blame the giants one bit if they actually do this sorta makes sense almost....they can get their qb of the future at 2 then whatever they need most at 4. Browns add him with Landry and Gordon now the browns are in serious shape.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That trade could work out well for both sides. Like you said, with odell, jarvis and josh gordon, the browns will have the best receiver unit in the league, maybe in history.
And the giants get the #2 and #4 picks in this draft, to get Eli's successor and another good player (or trade it to another team for more picks).
But odell wants a huge contract after this year; the browns have the cap space for now but the more you spend on him the less you have for everyone else. Still, thats the price you pay for elite players...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Supposedly the giants want two 1st round draft picks for Odell.
After trading brandin cooks to the rams for a 1st round pick, the patriots have two 1st rounders this year (#23 and 31 overall).
Will belichick pull the trigger and get a top 3 receiver for tommy boy?
Maybe not, because odell wants to be the best paid WR in the league (antonio brown makes 17M yr) and belichick is careful to not give out market setting contracts.
Still, it will be interesting to see what the patriots do.

The rams, after signing Suh and trading for brandin, talib and marcus peters, seem to be all in for a championship run this upcoming season. The eagles, vikings and rams should be great this year, saints and packers and niners also very good, it should very competitive in the nfc this year. In the afc, it will be the pats and everyone else (maybe KC, maybe indy, steelers, jags, maybe titans or even the browns).

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening baba'!
hope you are having a great off season
has spring ~ sprung where you are at yet?

the nfl draft is coming up soon and this off season has been wild
/my hat is still spinning!
so who do you see going #1
is there anyone you really like in this years draft?
put on your tin-foil hat and get ready for hot taeks, my man
i think the browns should take saquon barkley with the top pick

we all know that the browns hold the #1 pick and have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball
what really makes this fun is that they also hold the #4 pick
/when was the last time a tam had two picks in the top5?!?
this years draft class seems to be very QB heavy and a lot of teams need help at that position
what is lacking is the blue chips at all the other skilled positions
/sure chubb looks good and a lot of mock drafts have the browns choosing him at #4
but here is a chance for the browns to possibly address a major hole in the team (offence) all in one draft class
by picking barkley first, they can still pick up a solid qb with the #4 pick

hope you are rocking the off season brother

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sup Pop!
Spring is making an appearance around here. It might actually stay above 50F this week, during the day at least.
Draft starts tomorrow evening with rd 1, rds 2-3 on Friday, rds 4-7 on Sat.

For the bears, it would be nice if quenton nelson, the guard from Notre dame, fell to them at #8. According to the 'experts' there arent any receivers in this draft worth taking in the top 10, and the bears could use help to protect trubisky if he's to have any chance at a good season.

The browns have kept things pretty secret as to their intentions. I think they'll draft darnold with the #1 overall, i think even their owner showed up at darnolds pro day. But he also showed up at josh allen's pro day, or this could all be a ruse to get people to trade up with them, who knows.
Personally, i think the browns should draft darnold at #1 and saquon at #4 (assuming giants and jets draft qb's at #2 and 3). If everything breaks right for them, that could be a hall of fame backfield that could propel them to success for the next decade.

Do you have any ideas for who the chargers or rams should draft? Rams dont have a 1st or 2nd round pick because of trades, chargers pick #17 in the 1st and their picks in 2-7 also fall in the middle of each round. But i think after the 1st round no one can predict who teams will pick other than general 'they need a linebacker, or a tight end' etc.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
coming out of the winter months, i imagine 50' can be downright nice weather
our spring temps have been all over the place but its been pretty mild this year
/things started off really warm but have settled down

the big gamble for the browns is assuming that the giants wont grab barkley at#2
/ its pretty safe to assume that the jets are looking to fill the QB position
the NYG are in a weird position i think; they need to find elis successor, but dont want to cause a media sh!tstorm by drafting a QB too early(remember the heat they got when eli was "benched" last season)
its a tough call, but i could see them picking up saquon with their first pick and getting a QB later in the draft
/ exhales huge cloud of cannabis smoke
im hearing the chargers are interested in going D' with their first pick
they might also be interested in a qb depending on whos still on the board, but i heard that when they met with mayfield ( the only "big" name qb who i could see dropping that far down) he dident even take time to study their play book
"i have a lot on my plate" or something like that was his reply
/he has been tagged as having character issues by a lot of scouts, plus i hear he refuses to do a live shot on espn during the draft which is really weird
/also, f-dean spanos
the rams will probably go with best player available when they pick
it seems they already took big steps to address their key concerns and arent going into the draft looking to fill their biggest holes
if i had to throw out a position i thing they could add to i would say a rb or lb
/exhales even bigger cloud of hash smoke
hope your week is kicking ass,my man
cant wait for the show to get started!

iTarzan

I agree with Baba because the first pick has to be the qb they want the most. Barkley will most likely be there because qbs go the first 3 picks. Plus if he is gone they pick Chubb to pair with Myles Garret. It is a win/win.

The Colts should stay at 6 and take Barkley, Nelson or Chubb. If the Bills offer 12,22,65(1st pick 3rd round) and next years 1st round pick then trade the pick. 3 number ones or no deal.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
garret and chubb does sounds good
that would make a solid foundation to build a defense on
but there really dosent seem to be a stand out #1 among the top QBs
unless the browns are really sold on one of the top qb's i would still go rb, then draft best qb left of the board at #4
if the colts could grab barkley that would be huge

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ur too funny Pop. What kind of hash do you do? BHO, or bubble hash, or dry sift?
It makes sense the giants might take barkley, because they have almost no running game, and an elite talent like saquon would instantly make them a top ten running attack. It would help make eli's last couple of years better, but if they were drafting in the best interests of the team, they would draft their QB of the future. Maybe Rosen, ideally. He's the most polished passer in the draft, other than mayfield, plus he's jewish, new york would love a jewish sports hero.
Arent most nfl playbooks as thick as phonebooks? I could understand mayfield not spending a lot of time studying a specific team's playbook, especially one with a midround or lower pick. Back in the 90's, the giants had a 200 question psychological test for prospective draftees. They asked deions sanders to take it; he took one look at this 3 hour test, asked the giants what pick they had. They said #14 (or something), he told them "Ill be gone way before then (he was drafted #5 i think), see ya" and walked out.
Chargers might lead the league in sacks next year, with ingram and bosa, and mike williams might break out at receiver now that he's healthy. Maybe if lamar jackson or mason rudolph is available they can draft their future QB, assuming rivers plays only 1-2 more years.
Fuck Dean Spanos indeed.

Tarzan, I hope the colts dont draft quenton nelson before the bears do but that would be a good pick for them. Lord knows they need to do a better job of protecting luck.
It would be sad though if Luck never gets back 100%, or continues to suffer injury problems, and the colts could have picked a good QB at #3 (before they traded with the Jets) or #6.
I know his rehab is supposedly going well, but he still hasnt thrown an actual football yet, and those weighted balls he's throwing, even though theyre heavier than footballs, he's probably throwing them like 3-5 yards at most. His arm strength was good but not great even before he got injured, if he loses a few mph on his fastball, im not sure he has the accuracy to make up for it, like peyton was able to do.
But overall you have to like what the colts are doing, stockpiling draft picks. Ballard had a pretty decent draft last year, if he hits on a few picks every draft theyll be a good team no matter what happens with Luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts