What's new

NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliveOil

Speaking here as a Brown's fan....

To say that they are a dieing franchise is a bit of an exaggeration, Yort. They certainly have been having some real bad luck the last couple of decades, but compare that to the Chicago Cubs success rate over the last....hmmm...CENTURY, now that's some REAL bad luck. But nobody calls the Cubs a dieing franchise, because they have a strong and devoted fan base. Which is also what the Cleveland Browns have, even through all this shitty losing.

Regarding Johnny Manziel, he definitely wasn't what ya call a "safe pick." But what do safe picks get you in the long run? Finding a star quarterback with a safe pick is not the likeliest scenario for sure (except in those unusual years where a player like Andrew Luck is available). And to win championships, having a star quarterback is fairly important (Cleveland's defense is going to kick some serious ass this year too). The Browns, besides having their own staff do their analysis of the quarterbacks in this years draft, spent a nice chunk of money ($100K) on some outside analytics firm to rate the various quarterbacks on their strengths and weaknesses, in all aspects including personality. The quarterback who came out on top of both the team's and outsiders list? Johnny FUCKING Football.

I, like most of the Browns fans, am very happy, and excited as hell to see what the future brings. :biggrin: :woohoo:

also as a browns fan ... johnny football was a wasted pick. brian hoyer is a good quarterback with a lot of potential if he can stay healthy. i hate the ongoing quarterback controversies in cleveland. the owners and everybody else have not realized that publicity doesn't win games. and hiring consulting firms is a waste of money. that guy haslam is a fucking joke. he'd pull some art modell shit, just watch.

justin gilbert was a SOLID pick. cannot wait to watch the defense this year!

and josh fucking gordon. that poor guy - getting suspended for toking one. what a bummer, not only for the browns and their fans, but also my keeper league. RIP. haha. nfl fans should really put some pressure on the nfl to allow for marijuana use.

and i agree with you - wiggs dannyboy - up the fantastic browns fans!

10250186_10201978076356436_3014962552299588687_n.jpg

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also as a browns fan ... johnny football was a wasted pick.

I know you're not alone in that opinion, Olive, and JFF is a bit scary with his outrageous personality and "money" signs. Its easy to look at that stuff and think he's going to flame out for one reason or another...that's not even mentioning his smaller body frame and his propensity to leave the pocket and go rogue. That's both beautiful AND scary....

He's one of those high risk/high reward picks. If he manages to take the time to learn from his coaches and makes the necessary adjustments to his game/style, he could turn out to be a very special player. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Manziel a wasted pick? Because you know for a fact he'll be a bust?
No, you don't know that.
Even if he turns out to be just another guy, at least they didn't spend a top 4 pick on him.
Weeden was a wasted pick. Half of all first-rounders are wasted picks.
Manziel was a home run swing. Maybe he doesnt end up out of the park, but at least they tried. You hit on a qb on this league, you can contend for a decade.
Maybe Hoyer takes the job and never lets Manziel sniff the field, but at this point in his career do you really want to hitch your franchise hopes on Hoyer? If he wins a bunch and stays healthy, well and good, but you cant blame the browns for having a plan b at the game's most important position.

MIMedHead

Superbowl predictions. let me first start by saying im a huge Lions Fan and hope they do well. although i wont pick them to win the SB

I believe the SeaHawks will be the first team since the Patriots to win back to back superbowls, they did loose some key pieces like Tate, Bronner, and a few members of that rotating D line, but I still like them a lot, Im a huge Russel Wilson believer. He will have double/triple the SB wins of the great Peyton Manning even if Peyton wins this year.

My second pick is in the same division. The San Fran 49ers added a WR with stevie Johnson, and their D like the Hawks is outrageously good. Hope Navaro comes back strong.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
The 'Hawks have a winning formula, they could win multiple. Or not, cause it's really hard because competition is so tough. The Niners to start with.
Maybe I'll go with Denver again. Why not. They added a bunch of players. Maybe they'll actually go 19-0. This time against san fran? Niners get home field against the hawks and host the conference championship, winning it on a last second td to crabtree over sherman, causing crabtree to unleash a postgame tirade about what a mediocre db sherman is?
Nah. Ill go with Da Bearsh, eh, 73-10 against Denver. Sorry Peyton, but you ran into the unstoppable force that is Jay Cutler and the
Bearsh D. Ha. Ha. Ha.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
This time against san fran? Niners get home field against the hawks and host the conference championship, winning it on a last second td to crabtree over sherman, causing crabtree to unleash a postgame tirade about what a mediocre db sherman is?
as classless as a potential crabtree tirade would be, I'm all for it. sherm can take a couple licks he just got paid.

thinking about entering my jelly donuts in the seattle cup and calling it niner kush just to fuck with the locals....hahahahaha

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/source-49ers-colin-kaepernick-contract-extension-2020/

49ers signed QB Colin Kaepernick to a six-year, $126 million contract extension through 2020.

It includes $61 million guaranteed. Bay Area Sports Guy had it first before NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirmed the money portion. Kaepernick gets $21 million annually in new money and sets the new quarterback record for guaranteed money, surpassing Peyton Manning by $3 million and Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler by $7 million. The former second-round pick was entering the final year of his rookie deal. The 49ers have been one of the most run-heavy teams in recent years. After the addition of Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree's return to 100 percent health, and Frank Gore's age, we expect coach Jim Harbaugh to open up the offense more in 2014. Kaepernick is currently Rotoworld's No. 13 quarterback heading into the season, but a top-six finish isn't out of the question. He's primed to explode.

Source: Bay Area Sports Guy
Jun 4 - 3:58 PM

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
the $61 is guaranteed for the 6 years breaking down to just over $10mil per year guaranteed if my math is right?

niners are paying him that much now for a reason, as soon as the salary cap is raised everyone's going to want a bigger piece...lock him in now before new cap numbers are locked in and have him locked up for a 6 year value contract (by future contract standards)

I don't believe Vernon gets an extension..he's already being paid to be top 3 talent, and he is top 3 talent(although i'm not sure his role will provide him top 3 touches)...gotta think moneyball...especially after kaep just got paid with crab's extension probably being next on the list of re-sign priorities imho..

I'm hoping gore goes out in style in 2015 and preferably in a ray lewis scenario: announce retirement in the playoffs and ride off into retirement with a shiny new ring to match the on from 2014....thats IF he's not still truckin hard all season, I firmly believe he will have another 1000yd season(14) if he still gets his touches(they were being split a bit more before hunter was hurt...now the stable of backs is just DEEP...gore,hunter,james, lattimore, hyde, hampton) if gore doesn't want to share the ball he may just go off and not even give the other guys a shot at the rock.

7 lombardi's in santa clara by february 2016...just sayin

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I knew Kaep's agent was seeking 18-20mil per year, which is the going rate for franchise qb's, i guess?
Still I was initially surprised by the size of the contract for guy in his 4th year in the league. But if Cutler is making 126/7 years with 54mil guaranteed, 126/6 years with 61 guaranteed isn't unreasonable for someone of his potential and exemplary (so far) track record.
Still, he's done well against everybody in the league except the Hawks. Now qb's dont win games by themselves, so you can't put all the blame on Kaep for having pedestrian stats against his biggest rival. But clearly he's going to have to do better against the Hawks in order to truly justify what they're paying him. That or win a superbowl.
I think he owes the Packers a percentage of his contract; they made him look like a cross between Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson, and he got paid like those guys as well.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait....Huck-Em', Chuck-Em', FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

woods was looking good in the HoF game..

Niners v Ravens tomorrow!!! woooo!!!! hoping to see how carlos hyde is looking as well as jimmie ward and really what NG will be looking like with dorsey & williams(could be back soon) out...also gonna be interesting to see how jonathan martin does in place of boone...

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!!!

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I want to see Andre Ellington, Eddie Lacy, Julio Jones, and Keenan Allen

I love this time of year... You guys need to try FanDuel... my goodness...its football crack

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
fanduel is my spot! been goin at it hard over there since last season...enough success in the 50/50 leagues throughout the season could totally bump me into the personal grows only bracket!

not a whole lot of opportunity to turn $100 into 6-7 figures...fanduel-check.

Yesca73

I think this is the year the Raiders get out of the worst 10 year slump ever . They had some good free agent pick ups and good draft .
Hope they can turn this shit around . I don't expect them to make the playoffs but at least finish 8-8 or 9-7 . Who knows they could put a run together and make playoffs but BroncHOs , Chiefs n Chargers should all be good .

Tired of seeing all this SF shit around!!!!!

RAIDER NATION

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
raiders will suck again, sorry to be the one to break it to ya...shaub blows, MJD doesn't have it anymore, run dmc is a shin splint away from missing the season every season, J.Jones was good because rodgers was his qb...lets be honest, the raiders will undoubtably be last in the afc west AGAIN by a large margin...It's all good that your tired of seeing the niners dominate, your team will be in la in the next couple years anyway...as long as theres a Davis running the raider show they will never be a .500 team..I'll be going to the niners raiders game this season, wearing a kevlar vest....raiders fans...meh....the parking lot is a great place to do a smash sweep lmfao

you do realize that the raiders are HOMELESS after this season right? and NO you cant share the new santa clara stadium with us.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
weekly fantasy football leagues, tons of ways to play but basically you assemble a team under a certain salary cap and compete against 100's or 1000's of other people for money... add a dot com and check it out...but hit me up before you make an account, I'll get some bonus bucks :) lol

niners seemed pretty flat after the first drive...lets hope next week vs broncos is a different story, these youngsters really need to step up...jonathan martin got punked left and right, i hope his ass gets cut....hyde looked really good, hampton & alfonso smith looked like total crap, neither had solid pass protection or the ability to move the ball...NT seems to be under control.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Well...it's preseason...and the 9ers got a great look at the 2nd and 3rd string defense...since they hardly got off the field.

"It's never as bad as it seems and it's never as good as it seems."

That's some truth right there.

HB.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Preseason is pretty meh, even when the first team is out there they usually run some vanilla stuff, teams like to save the real plays for when it counts. Teams that go 4-0 in the preseason often are the worst teams in the league during the regular season, and vice versa.
Still, a nice chance to see some of backups and future starters.
Jimmy Clausen's on the Bears now. Still hangs the ball a little too much in the air, gets tipped passes and his receivers blown up by tacklers. Other than that, i guess hes all right.:biggrin:
Bears defense still looks poor, giving up too many big plays. But its preseason, so i shall remain hopeful. :comfort:

If Schaub has any juice left he can be an asset to Oakland. Theyre coming off a salary cap purge so theyre still lacking in overall talent and depth but the rebuild is a marathon not a sprint. Derek Carr i guess is the future there, is he looking ok? Saw Bortles with the Jags last night when they played the Bears, Bortles looked alright with the Jags 2nd and 3rd string. Big and strong, can move, accurate, looked like a #3 overall pick. Still, preseason, vs the Bears 2nd and 3rd string defense. maybe even ryan leaf and jamarcus russell looked good in preseason, y know?

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I think this is the year the Raiders get out of the worst 10 year slump ever . They had some good free agent pick ups and good draft .
Hope they can turn this shit around . I don't expect them to make the playoffs but at least finish 8-8 or 9-7 . Who knows they could put a run together and make playoffs but BroncHOs , Chiefs n Chargers should all be good .

Tired of seeing all this SF shit around!!!!!

RAIDER NATION

The Poor Hapless Raiders...lolz

They're depending on this guy? Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel....

1383190_523279267747036_762971399_n.jpg

I actually hope the Raiders show some signs of life this year. It's no fun hating on the Raiders when they're playing so badly!

GO 9ers!!

HB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts