What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new to auto flowers

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Brother, nice welcome for the new grower. I am very curious about the gallon jugs filled with water technique you speak of to absorb heat and disperse heat at night. Can you elaborate please? Where and how do you place the jugs of water around the containers? Thanks! peace...bongwater

bwater-

I welcome you to this post, although not mine....

ELABORATION: For plants you want as a head start there are two methods.

One, plant in container and dig below bricks with 3-4" above soil....have blocks/bricks, terrace stone absorb heat from sun, thereby keeping roots warm.

Second...Choose the location of your plants. As with any plants it is important to choose a sunny location with rich soil and proper drainage.
To warm the spring soil (way after last frost), I set my bottles in the garden for a day or two prior to setting out the plants in their. Because you can easily change the position of the bottles, this is easy to do. You could also warm the soil by covering the area with black plastic for a few days.
Once the soil has warmed, move the bottles aside and transplant you plant into the soil, or place your container in optimum area....full sun. Dig a hole 6-8" inches in diameter and six inches deep. Add one gallon or 2 liter bottles...clear is best, although I've used soda bottles of different colors. Fill the hole with soil and pack firmly.

Arrange the two-liter bottles of water to form a circle around each individual plant or plant groupings. The bottles should be touching with no gaps in between....use duct or the blue painters tape! Make sure to leave enough room between the plant and the bottles for the plant to grow....my preference 3-5 gallon containers.

As soil warms up, hardening off your plants you can remove a few bottles...remove one and spread the rest out, leaving spaces between them. Repeat this for a few days and your plants will toughen up nicely! Viola`! I do that in mid/late April and keep an uber eye on low temps, changes in weather (freak hail/snow storm)

Last edited:
Well I am super sad. I thought I had proofed my girls from the four footed neighbors and went to the blues festivals that my husband does security for, when we got back guess what not one left. I almost suspect some two footed neighbors but no proof, so my crop is gone and I didn't even get a chance to try them. I will have to start over. (heavy sigh):cry::cry:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Karma on their part....that's terrible. Really sad to hear of your experience.

Thanx. I will start them again, just they were looking soooo yummy and was looking forward to a well earned early smoke. The regular girls have a ways to go and are living in blackout boxes. I don't give up easily, just makes me more persistent :):yay:

mckb024

sorry to here that. it's so sad that people act like idiots when presented with an opportunity to steal plants, and I think it's because they think they can't get in trouble because of the stigma attached to this plant. Like airbud said karma will even itself out. good luck, and best wishes to you lady cipher

Latest posts

Latest posts