What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new to auto flowers

Jhhnn

Veteran
I see. So sand and perlite. gotcha. Probably to late at this point to fix that for these girls. It took me a few seasons to learn what the regular plants liked, so I expect this to go about the same while I am learning. Good thing these are quick plants so I still have time to get a successful crop. :)

Your autoflowers will like what your regular warm weather veggies like, for the most part.

Indoors, my autoflowers thrive on warmth & light, with early development being critical. You're in a race with their autoflowering biological clock, trying to get maximum development before they flower & then max flowering before they're done, exhausted. You'll know when they're finished because the fan leaves yellow & fall away as bud development ceases. They'll tell you when they're ready.

In a good soil mix, they don't really need to be fertilized much if at all because they're done before using up the necessary nutrients.

For your purposes next season, a cold frame would probably work well, the kind with an automatic damper to prevent the plants from getting too hot. It gives seedlings a nice warm jump start. Google it up. Something else to consider are semi-autoflowering strains, usually from Canadian breeders. So long as the day length is increasing, they vegetate, but begin to flower as soon as day length begins to shorten at all, letting them finish much earlier than regular photoperiod varieties.

Good luck with your project. Don't be terribly disappointed if yields are small this first go-round- it's about learning, about getting better at it.

Thanx Jhhnn, I know this first few tries will be not brillant; gads you should have seen my first regular plants when I lived in the city. I am determined to succeed. I will look into semi-autos as well. The idea of a cold-frame is a good one. Been so busy I haven't had the time to contruct one, but now that winter cleanup is mostly done I will get on that. Keep you posted on my progress :)

Finally it has warmed up. The spirit haze is greening up. the iron water really helped. Ak passion has done very well and looks like it might get some size before its bud phase. Little dwarf seems to be idle. She was put into the garden and although she looks healthy she is just not growing. Thankyou to all who have given me tips as I will apply them to the next batch that will be getting here in a few days. Hoping by end of Okanogan's growing season, I will have something to show for it. will continue working with these first ones, not giving up.
Peace out :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yay!! Glad to hear things are perking up. Yes, I like using 'iron water' from rusty nails vs. buying Ironite. Probably the Li'l Dwarf will take off soon....although, little...still a quality product. I have one 14 days in right now....working on 3rd set of leaves.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got enough postings for me to PM you? Look at the avatar of Homer, then picture MARGE...that'd be me!

I can t believe how fast these girls are growing now. Now I know not to start them until late May or early June. Getting more seeds soon to keep learning while the sun shines :)

My mistake I am only half way to be able to PM anyone. this post is 25. Just watered the girls and I swear they have grown since this morning. The Spirit Haze girl is greening up really well :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once it's warm and you have sunshine, they'll really take off! KUDOS! And glad Spirit Haze is doing well.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I notice you are using Zambeza seed stock....I've tried a few myself. Curious why you those them?

Two reasons for choosing.
1. the website offering the Zambeza seeds had money conversions to dollars.
2. They would ship to USA
wasn't member of IC yet so didn't have info. I found this IC forum by chance. I looked at lot's but this one felt professional and serious about the plants :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting, Lady C. They are a newer company gaining strength with the other auto seed companies.
Turn on your PM - attempted to send a message, but did not allow.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
This is the best site to be on if you wanna learn from the pro's. I was by no means a newbie when I joined. The amount of stuff I have learned in just a few months blows my mind. Stay here if you wanna become a master grower, it will happen.
Now speaking of auto's I have 12 going now. I did a batch of 7, then a week later I started a batch of 5. They all are getting their own 5 gallon container, and going outside. I have 5 Pandora's, 5 roadrunner #2's, an auto northern lights x big bud, and a la diva. I can't wait to see the Pandora's. According to luc from paradise the Pandora's can yield close to a pound a piece, and a 1/4 lb. at minimum. So i'm shooting for the 1/4 lb. mark, we'll see.

N

new3

how to grow autos: get some really good pro made soil, ie: promix or fafard 3b mix, add 7 banana peels per gallon of soil, 1 cup of diatomaceous earth and 1/2 cup espoma bio tone starter plus all measurements are per gallon size container... it is ok to plant seeds in this mix, water when they completely dry and if your using liquid veg nutes use 1/2 strength from day 17 to 1 week after sight of pistils. always alternating using fresh water every 3rd watering and testing the runoff for a ph of 6.5-7.0 6.8 is ideal. then into flowering use 1/2 bloom nutes mix little bit of honey or something sweet in there to feed the microbes and give your bud something sweet, and alternate frsh water every 3rd watering. cease watering with any nutes in the last 2 weeks just use plain water. the something sweet is optional in the last 2 weeks but i personally pour a little bit of organic cream or milk in there just enough to make the water lightly cloudy to give the plants a boost of calcium in there final days.

any questions?

Wow. I really love this site. I too am learning so much, wish I had found it sooner. Thankyou all for sharing :) Grand experiment under way and more to come. Will keep you posted on my progress. Still amazed at the growth rate of A.F.

I am still in awe of such rapid developement in the AFs. Got a six pack of my old standby bubba kush so I have to make black out boxes to hurry them along when the time is right. will have pix of AFs up with the older photos when they were only half their present height. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts