What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new to auto flowers

well was wondering about my choice. Little dwarf, AK Passion,
Spirit Haze, Norther Force. My Notoriou White failed. Has anyone have info on these plants? I live 3200ft and need quick plants because of short season. I have only grown Bubba Cush and it takes a bit too long. I don't have power so indoors is not an option

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Lady Cypher-

All good choices. Depending on heat factor outside...I've grown in containers and used gallon jugs with water to absorb heat during the day....help disperse heat as temps fall at night. Similar to wall-o-water protecting tomato plants.Think about yourself being in cold water or ground. Root growth won't prosper unless roots are cushioned and warm. Make sense?

Do you have in ground or in containers? I've used cellophane over the top soil of containers (3-5 gallon buckets) to incubate seed into cracking open, then remove plastic wrap. Just a suggestion. Or I start in party cups with holes drilled in bottom, pretty fluffy soil mix (perlite, sand and seedling mix) allowing aeration of roots, and keep inside until 2nd set of leaves....then transplant into last container throughout rest of cycle.

Too, find the best SOUTH facing area to maximize sun exposure. Use half strength nutrients so you don't fry the plant/seedling. I alter every other watering with water standing approx. a day to evaporate chlorine.

Saw Notorius a Zambeza strain- combo hybrid.

http://en.**********.eu/strain-info/Notorious_White/Zambeza/

Thanks for the great info. I have two in pots and the rest in the garden. A lovely south exposed hillside that we have terraced. :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your plants will thrive, Lady Cipher. I always look up strains on **********/eu

Surprised no one wanted to devote a few minutes to a new AF grower.

I wish you great success. Too, staggering the crop planting times...I like to plant every 3-4 weeks...as some are maturing others are following their lead. You'll get the hang of it soon.

Biggest outdoor snafu's I've found...hungry rabbits (use chicken wire dome over pots), hitting too much nutrients. Nature does it's best work al fresco in warm months!

If you have bugs...spray tobacco/water mixture or chile sauce/water....bugs hate it!

LC, grow on!!

Mr Jay

Veteran
Hey LC, here's a few things to know about autos.

The most important time for them is the seedling/vege stage. Since they only get 3-4 weeks of it you don't have time for stress or recovery. Autos will do fine starting outside, but you can really get a lot out of them if you start them inside and pamper them under lights before a move out. You can keep them veging a little while longer by continuing to feed them vege nutes after sexing.

Make sure to start the seedlings in a large enough container to allow good vege growth. A lot of people start them in 18 oz party cups but I like to start them in 32 oz yogurt containers to give good root room. If you can start them in their final pots all the better! The final pot trick works best with fem seeds.

As for feeding, autos can be very sensitive. Wait until they have a few sets of true leaves before feeding, and only feed 1/4 strength at first, gradually moving up as they ask for more. Remember, with autos less is more! Stunting them from over feeding is a common problem, if not the most common and is where a lot of the "autos are tiny crap plants" BS comes from. No one likes to admit to user error. Make sure to plant them in a nutritious but not too hot soil. I find happy frog to be perfect for auto seedlings.

Now towards the end of their life people tend to get worried because some autos don't like to show as many amber trics as photo plants. A better way to tell when they are done is to pay attention to the leaves and bud. The plants will naturally start to wind down and do things like change color, loose a few fans and show sparkly mature buds. Use your best judgement when harvesting, but it will typically be a couple of weeks longer than it says in the breeder description.

That's all for now off the top of my head, hope that helps!

Hi Mr. Jay,
Thankyou much. These things that you and Aridbud have told me is just the info I need. As I said I have grown Bubba. Auto flowers are different on lots of levels and I would have treated them like Bubba. :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr Jay-

EXCELLENT addendum regarding tips for successful AF growing!! We're on similar pages in growing.

LC, you'll find a great reward in AF's...easy, perpetual growing May-early Oct (in your area, I'm guessing). More seeds, more crop rotation. Plenty of sources @ seed bay AF's and untested areas, investing in a few AF's, regular seed.

Buying an inexpensive jeweler's loupe (30x mag or more)...helps identify when ready. You want milky looking, vs. brownish or clear.

Let us know how they do!!

Hi Aridbud,
The AKPassion, Little Dwarf and Spirit Haze have taken off like mad. Northern Force and Blue Invader (my replacement ) not doing well at all. Thinking maybe the seeds were not as vital as the others. I have one more N.F. and have started it already, that seed looked fat and healthy. hope it is. I need to get more seeds. Do you have a favorite type? Which seed bank has the high quality seeds? In your opinion.

Piel

Veteran
Sorry if I came off blunt, there´s a lot of knowledge on these threads and my advice is to first immerse yourself in what you can find and when you´re thoroughly mixed up then ask questions. It´s a good way to learn.

I´ve grown AAK-47, Auto Lemon Kush, Mossy´s Jem and a few more. My favorites are probably Easyryder and AK-47 -good yield and quite potent.

Good luck to you.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lady C-
EXCELLENT the trio is liking your environment and care!! Little Dwarf will be just that...small. However, good things can come in small packages!! ;o)

I've purchased numerous regular autos here @ seedbay, with excellent and robust results! Too, look @ untested seeds section - afterthought. My seed line.

Having regular AF seeds- less expensive and just pluck the plants that have little bananas forming (huevos!) being the males. Generally you can get 60/40 F:M ratio w/ reg seeds.

Pretty much the 'Tude reigns. Have purchased numerous times from them. I've gotten some duds....unviable, but for the most part (95%), excellent results.

Personally, I like autos that are 50-100+ cm (upwards to a yard when it gets 100 cm) tall, different hybrids from different tastes and effect. Many finish under 80 days. Add about 5-10 days from seed breeders finish time description.

Looks like you have sat. dom autos taking longer to finish. As the season grows on, maybe plant indica/sat hybrid AF's. My last planting is usually in mid-late August finishing before Oct. temp dips. They're ALL great!!! I've never met an auto I did not like!!

Sorry if I came off blunt, there´s a lot of knowledge on these threads and my advice is to first immerse yourself in what you can find and when you´re thoroughly mixed up then ask questions. It´s a good way to learn.

I´ve grown AAK-47, Auto Lemon Kush, Mossy´s Jem and a few more. My favorites are probably Easyryder and AK-47 -good yield and quite potent.

Good luck to you.

Hi Piel,
No worries, You were quite right in telling me to read. I was just a little intrepid about diving in, but I have been swimming even if it is the shallows. Thankyou for your time.

Good luck to you.

Hi Piel,
No worries, You were quite right in telling me to read. I was just a little intrepid about diving in, but I have been swimming even if it is the shallows. There is so much info here that it is hard to decide what to do. My plants are starting to really grow now. There is hope :) Thankyou for your time.

Thankyou Aridbud, I will certainly check that out :) Sorry for double post. I only have a phone to do internet and sometimes it gets weird :/