What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New study about polyploid

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think your reasearch can be very interesting for the whole community, so first of all, thanks for sharing :)

1-Photo of the cell size
Microscopic visualization of the stem. The photo shows the cellular organization of the outer face of the stem in Cannabis sativa. Cell size of tetraploid cells is much larger than that of diploid cells. This fact allows the cell nucleus to contain the extra genetic material and the cytoplasm to acquire more cellular organelles (such as chloroplasts) to generate a higher rate of metabolism.

In my mind came a question.....to make it simple: Is less and bigger cells better than more but smaller?

You state:
''This fact allows...an higher rate of metabolism''

So, do you have any evidence about bigger cells are better because they carry in them more chloroplasts compared to a normal plant tissue with regular size cells?

I mean, in the total area of a leaf, in a polyploid plant there have to be more DNA. Physically it occupies space. More space for DNA, less space for other things, such cloroplasts too.
But on the other side, in a normal plant, where the cells are normal sized cells, I think there are more cell's membranes in the total area of a leaf.

Do you already consider this? Any evidence? Any theory or math?

In tetraploid plants there is lower density of stomata on the surface of the leaf, but its size is much larger. This fact may allow them to lose less water by transpiration (more resistant to water stress) and as a result of the largest size, it ensures successful gas exchange.

Same thing here. Is it better to have less and bigger, or more and smaller? Any evidence?

Best luck and please keep sharing your results :)

:wave:

Buddha seeds, have you flowered out any tetraploid plants and had them tested for THC content ? smoked any of your Tetraploids ? Billy claims the stuff is super weed and currently producing Tetraploid seedlings for testing.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My honest belief is that any thing that smokes nice is worth keeping, there are many many throw aways!

How did you apply the Colchicine? As far as I am aware once the microfibril is mutated it don't revert or at least it shouldn't if the mutanagen has been applied correctly. My tutor showed me his technique which he invented over 40 years ago, he has some propagules that he's patented from the process, they have never reverted.

Is the seed soaking you describe priming seeds with the mutagen?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Interesting research... I'm curious to see the results. Did you used colchicine to induce the mutations?

This reminded me to one of those internet legends about strains, and how UBC Chemo was supposed to be a tetraploid created by doctore David Suzuki for the Canadian government lol.

G`day Musta

A buddy of mine in Canada investigated the Chemo story .
He had a cut that was sposed to be Chemo .

He wrote to Dr David Suzuki and asked re Chemo . Dr Suzuki wrote a hand written reply . Explaining he didn`t have any involvement in Cannabis research or development . The letter was posted at Mr Nice forum about 4 years ago .

I do believe that the University of British Columbia may have dabbled in cannabis and Chemotherapy / cancers . But to the best of my knowledge the David Suzuki tag is just more urban myth from the home of the Free and imaginative .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Buddha seeds, have you flowered out any tetraploid plants and had them tested for THC content ? smoked any of your Tetraploids ? Billy claims the stuff is super weed and currently producing Tetraploid seedlings for testing.

I am Ernesto, Buddha´s owner and the guy who has been sending the pics and explanations until now; from now on i will leave buddha seeds messages for the pictures and the biologist serious and full of knowledge posts, and i will use this one for answering the easy things :).

We flowered a couple tetraploid and a couple triploid, they are not tested yet because we are having some troubles adjusting the HPLC, but it should be solved in a week or so.

We smoked them, we couldn appreciate any difference in THC content with this method.

Like Sam said before seems polyploidy is not a magic path to quality, as many myths say.

BuddhaSeeds

Very interesting your questions noreason, we will try to reply bearing in mind we are still investigating and characterizing individuals and, therefore, we cannot respond with certainty to some questions. The first thing is to separate the cell size and the stomatal size, are two different things.

With respect to cell size, it is true that the surface/volume ratio decreases with size, this means that larger cells have proportionally less outer membrane with respect to smaller cells. Fortunately, plant cells are divided when this factor prevents them from developing properly or because your metabolism is insufficient to maintain its correct operation. If cells keep this larger size is because it does not harm them, or to their nuclear or cytoplasmic level level.

Althought the relation between the surface/size ratio decreases, the increase in volume is very high. This fact allows that the increase of genetic material is not a problem. If we go to the cytoplasm it is worth mentioning that it will also increase the amount of organelles such as chloroplasts, mitochondria, etc. This increases cellular metabolism and allows them to function properly. To demonstrate this we have to do two tests: (1) measuring chlorophyll content and (2) the photosynthetic performance. We are in them, but by the appearance of plants seems to be higher.

In any case, we haven´t said that these plants have fewer cells, in fact, leaf size and the diameter of the stem is higher, which means that they have the same number of cells but larger or even that there are more cells. This cannot know it today but the largest size of different parts of plants tells us that there will be fewer cells. If we move to the stomata, could be a problem having fewer stomata but we haven´t observed any result in the exchange of gases, to the contrary, and as we have said before, seems that the photosynthetic performance is higher, which means that there aren´t deficiencies or excesses of O2 or CO2.

Last edited:

BuddhaSeeds

We continue relating differences of individual’s polyploid. In this occasion with photos of the plants for showing how they are.

One characteristic that they have in common all species that have phenomenon polyploidy events is that individuals are more vigorous and their bodies are bigger. We’re also seeing in Cannabis sativa and at all levels:

Seeds: The growers are getting familiar with obtaining seeds know that your size is directly related with the variety, although it´s always contain in levels, the differences between the larger and smaller are clearly visible. In polyploid individuals we have seen that when the female flower is fertilized it begins to form a much larger seed size compared to diploid plants of the same variety is great.

ShoPQY6.jpg

zJdLl4f.jpg

Description: Size of tetraploid and diploid seeds respectively.

Last edited:

BuddhaSeeds

Leaves: Visual differences can be seen is in the leaves, above all, during the stage of plant growth. They looked at two aspects.

1-Size: The leaves are much higher and the touch is seen that are thicker and with a different texture. This allows them greater growth during the first weeks after germination and during growth are formed very large leaves. During the flowering stage leaf mass is very high, which we believe ensures a very high photosynthetic performance, impacting very positively when the buds form and mature form.

2. Color: The tetraploid plants become more intense and darker shades due to higher chlorophyll content. We have not yet measured its exact contents but by the look of it seem that the data reflect that it is. The control and the plants are tetraploid plants grown in the same place, with the same light intensity and the same amounts of fertilizer.

dhyrZJA.jpg

8558qVM.jpg

nVGGLzT.jpg

nR8aU1b.jpg

Description: Differences in the size and color of the leaves.

rik78

Veteran
following the logic of the pics, the buds from those plants will be bigger in size too, innit?

For the moment we can only say seeds are bigger for sure, the buds seem normal, even we have tested few individuals, and further testing should be performed.

Will post more pics soon

vapor

Veteran
G`day Musta

A buddy of mine in Canada investigated the Chemo story .
He had a cut that was sposed to be Chemo .

He wrote to Dr David Suzuki and asked re Chemo . Dr Suzuki wrote a hand written reply . Explaining he didn`t have any involvement in Cannabis research or development . The letter was posted at Mr Nice forum about 4 years ago .

I do believe that the University of British Columbia may have dabbled in cannabis and Chemotherapy / cancers . But to the best of my knowledge the David Suzuki tag is just more urban myth from the home of the Free and imaginative .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

chemo came from bare foot hippies... still a mystery to what it is{imo affy} but there was seed past around{two cuts exist- montreal-fat wide leaves and shorter, and westcoast stretchier and thinner leaves}..... The ubc thing is funny....My partner had cancer when she was young{around the same time chemo was first around, long time ago!} and went to ubc for treatment. The doctors told her to try and get weed but never offered any or spoke of it. She had a rare type so she was "studied" at ubc, she did get weed but it was from her mom...

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
chemo came from bare foot hippies... still a mystery to what it is{imo affy} but there was seed past around{two cuts exist- montreal-fat wide leaves and shorter, and westcoast stretchier and thinner leaves}..... The ubc thing is funny....My partner had cancer when she was young{around the same time chemo was first around, long time ago!} and went to ubc for treatment. The doctors told her to try and get weed but never offered any or spoke of it. She had a rare type so she was "studied" at ubc, she did get weed but it was from her mom...

G`day V

Cool story bro .

I heard the Northern Lights Crew got ahold of it . But didn`t find it useful for the PTSD in Vietnam Vets they were seeking to treat . So let it go .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

mjg132

Fantastic stuff,i wrap my head around it in a few years;-)

I still dont know why there isnt genetic profiling of seeds/plants so that we can selectively have the traits desired flavor identified and measured same with size or mass thc cbd etc etc i think the ability to do that is around at this level (genetic engineering).
Ill continue to read with interest, sir :)