What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New study about polyploid

Cvh

Supermod
There're these three plants out of seeds, two normal and one with three leaves. First two are ok, then the three leafed is almost double size. Born the same day, three weeks ago.
I'm too thick to make any sense of mixploids and poliploids or whatever. I've got this plant with three cotyledons, then in the seventh floor still pulls three leaves, and it looks quite uniform.
It is a bx3, but now i've run out of the original male pollen.
Now... one question is whether that produce more, and if so, equal quality or diluted.
If a male, will the pollen be worth a try onwards another bx...or whatever comes now, towards a three leafed regular pheno?
If a female, what can i expect from adding new bx3 pollen (towards a 3leafed blablah)?
She's a bitch to clon and i don't want to cut the tip, just to see the whole potential, will give it a couple weeks more vegging if needed before i pass it to 12/12, will clon it just before that.
Further info: i'm following tangerine. All (10 tested) females showed it in bx2, as does these last three.

What you have is a tri-leaf / trifoliate mutation aka whorled phyllotaxy.
It's not a polyploid.

Lots of info about it in this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=5975
Sam the Skunkman posted several comments about breeding with it.

kaochiu

Veteran
Thanks guys. I had a look, but still will take a while to go through those links. Whorled phyllotaxy... there's a name for everything. I had other plants with more than two sets of leaves before, one with four sets immediatly followed by three, arguably seven, with those mohicans buds and long thick oval circled stems. The end result was weak. Yet this one looks like just one extra set of leaves, no difference from sisters otherwise, other than size. Until i read the whole matter won't know for sure which is wp and what's polyploids. Maybe with a bad photo...

Attachments

• DSCN1238.jpg
    DSCN1238.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1245.jpg
    DSCN1245.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 58

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys. I had a look, but still will take a while to go through those links. Whorled phyllotaxy... there's a name for everything. I had other plants with more than two sets of leaves before, one with four sets immediatly followed by three, arguably seven, with those mohicans buds and long thick oval circled stems. The end result was weak. Yet this one looks like just one extra set of leaves, no difference from sisters otherwise, other than size. Until i read the whole matter won't know for sure which is wp and what's polyploids. Maybe with a bad photo...

Polyploid is only detectable through DNA analysis.

The plants you state had up to 9 leaves are exhibiting a trait called faciation (flattened stem w many branches seemingly coming from random locations.)

Here's a couple fasciation links...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=251782

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=141121

kaochiu

Veteran
So, a tri whorled phyllotaxy that is not fasciated, or at least not yet.
Then secondary branches are normal two leafed shoots. If i made any sense of the long hour i've been reading those links (CVT, thanks for showing the path), my best bet would be to sts it and hit it with that if a female, then see if the offspring carries on the trait.
Or else try adding some of your stuff, GMT (nice job you do there with these freakos) but it would have to wait for next outdoor season and i just have too many seeds from unfinished "projects". Fixing the trait, although very attractive, takes a more dedicated man than me- Used to throw 200 seeds at a time, but those times are long gone, now with a corner in the huerto and a 600W for winter i don't feel like making selections anymore.
Anyway, i had my good share of fasciated plants over the years, only i discarded them as mutants throwing weak branches. Wish i could say if some of them were males, but usually were culled before sexing and the ones i didn't, not enough memory to make sure i did see fasciated males. Will keep an eye open, though. Thanks MJP, nice and clear. Been watching your posts too, well impressed.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day K

In my exp fasciation occurs more in males .
Anybody else got any anecdotes ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The traits aren't linked to either sex. Ive documented both sexes from tri quad a fasciated phenos. Got a fasciated male stem and a whole bunch of leaves in glass slides labeled from male and female tris quads etc ready to send to Sam for DNA analysis but his Addy is overseas and I'm not comfortable sending plant material across borders. Pitty I can't just send them to seedbay for forwarding to him.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'm not putting my face on CCTV smuggling contraband and falsifying legal documentation through the postal system, in such a rural location as I live. I'd have to travel 24 miles just so I didn't know the post office staff. Posting something to Amsterdam, when you look like me, is a red flag itself. Esp when I get nowt out of it.
Popping something into a mail box for mainland delivery is a totally different kettle of fish.

Do they not have a drop box?

And I really think you are being overly paranoid. If it's just some tiny samples in slides the chances of them catching it then actually testing it and seeing that it's Cannabis and actually charging you with criminal charges would be minuscule.

But it can be safe to be paranoid. Do what you think is best.

Another option would be to give or send the samples to someone else and have them mail it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No drop boxes, ask for but don't push for I.D. for international mail. Local mentality protecting the world shit.

As for the rest, see rule 2: no tell.

3 rules, no smell no tell no sell. 28 years and counting.

KingKutz

i am currently working on a strain with two Stabil trinural branching guys with calyxes being in 3 also so points to a geneticlly stabil example to work with. The few i got previously all turned out male so time will tell, but more impressive i had a polyploid one pop up and so far it is at least going 3 x faster growth rate in a week so it's smaller and i'll get a slideshow of it developing but am interested in chatting on the subject as i am new here.

Attachments

• 522projecttrident.jpg
    522projecttrident.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 55

KingKutz

Hi Trichrider, how do you know its a triploid? do you mean its a trifoliate? triploidy is a completely different thing.
this trifoliate tasted of lemon buble gum skunk......akeeper 4 shure!

Attachments

• trident7.jpg
    trident7.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
  • trident4.jpg
    trident4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 78