What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Root Plugs!!!!! Love Them!!!!!Worth a look!!!!

Gry

Veteran
Well, I used to use the rapid rooters. After seeing this thread, I figured I would try something different. When at the grow store I saw a new product, and thought it was what had been mentioned here. I cut clones on the third, 48 hours ago. Checked them this am and I have roots starting to show. I checked the product bag to make sure I had the spelling on the name correctly. I saw they were riot rooters. Not sure what to say except that this is the quickest I have ever had anything root. Neat thread.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
DJ, would you mind sharing the steps you use when cloning with these? i saw these the other day and was entertaining the idea of giving them a whirl. Do you dome them, mist em, etc? just seeing what works for you!

thanks!

Gdood9

I'm interested to see what humidity you guys are running when you're having these dry out so badly. I use these plugs for half of my cloning. I keep my humidity around 70% in veg though. I also have them in plug holder trays and leave a small amount of water in the bottom tray. The plug holders keep them from standing in water. Yes they are lighter than riots but roots come out much better. I find they take a little bit more water but I'd have to have super low humidity and not check on them for a couple days to dry out that much. I check my clones, and all my plants daily too though. If you can't invest that sort of time there are better options out there though.

DJXX

Veteran
I'm interested to see what humidity you guys are running when you're having these dry out so badly. I use these plugs for half of my cloning. I keep my humidity around 70% in veg though. I also have them in plug holder trays and leave a small amount of water in the bottom tray. The plug holders keep them from standing in water. Yes they are lighter than riots but roots come out much better. I find they take a little bit more water but I'd have to have super low humidity and not check on them for a couple days to dry out that much. I check my clones, and all my plants daily too though. If you can't invest that sort of time there are better options out there though.
i raise the clone plug holder up out of the water with an inverted plug holder...i try to keep a 1/2 in of water in the cloner tray at all times, and with the dome on all the time..i call it the "lil amazon"...and they stay under the dome till roots are established well....except twice a day i take the dome off for 15 min for fresh air...with that pool of water in the tray, on top of the heat mat it stays at 90 percent humidity and its like the amazon jungle in there...they love it..some times the plugs get too wet and need squeezed out a lil sometimes....a cut never lays over and you barely lose a leaf...it rocks..DJXX

Gdood9

i raise the clone plug holder up out of the water with an inverted plug holder...i try to keep a 1/2 in of water in the cloner tray at all times, and with the dome on all the time..i call it the "lil amazon"...and they stay under the dome till roots are established well....except twice a day i take the dome off for 15 min for fresh air...with that pool of water in the tray, on top of the heat mat it stays at 90 percent humidity and its like the amazon jungle in there...they love it..some times the plugs get too wet and need squeezed out a lil sometimes....a cut never lays over and you barely lose a leaf...it rocks..DJXX

This is the experience I've had as well. Now that I can keep humidity up in veg(thank you ultrasonic fogger) I don't need domes most of the time. I still keep my domes and heat mats nearby just in case though

DJXX

Veteran
This is the experience I've had as well. Now that I can keep humidity up in veg(thank you ultrasonic fogger) I don't need domes most of the time. I still keep my domes and heat mats nearby just in case though
these plugs put the fattest roots i have ever seen...DJXX

the gnome

Veteran
thanx for the heads up on these djxx
RR plug get water logged too easily imo

me likey your roots brother! :smoke:

Weeded1s

I guess if no other media was working for ya then ok why not try something new.... but my cloneing powder has enough (the most on the market) iba so I dont feel I need anyone elses non exact measured nutrients for my rooting help. Whats the cost diff. on these vs. rapid rooters....and whats the dunk they did nutrient wise...?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I guess they could put IBA in it, but my box just said they are coco and earthworm castings.

Botanicare Cocogro Cloning Plugs are the first coco coir based plugs in our industry and offer an alternative to traditional peat and tree bark based rooting plugs. These coco coir based plugs were developed specifically for cloning and provide a higher air holding capacity than traditional plugs.

Botanicare CocoGro Cloning Plugs:
◾Will not easily become overly saturated or water logged
◾Allow for quicker and more vigorous rooting performance
◾Contain the ideal nutrient charge to promote explosive root development

Botanicare also sells Power Clone liquid and gel and state they contain IBA. I could put 2 and 2 together and say it may have IBA in the nutrient charge they use on their Cocogro plugs but all I have to do is look at them fatass roots to see IBA has been added. Why wouldn't they add their Power Clone liquid with IBA to charge the plugs? It's some awesome stuff. I've been doing some side by sides with and without products that contain IBA. Some list IBA and some don't list it. Roots Excelurator has it but doesn't list it. Dip&Grow has it and lists it at 1%, which is a large dose. K-L-N lists it at 0.07%, V&H Boost has it at 1%. Most cloning powders and gels contain it, whether they list it or not. A almost blind man can see the difference between a IBA and non IBA roots. That said now peeps will post up saying "I get them fatass white roots without IBA":biggrin:

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
just put em in well water for like 20 min...i don't use the gels..i use the cheap powder from Home Depot...it has just as much active hormone as the expensive gels....the powder doesn't mush them as bad as the gels..my success rate doubled after switching to the powder...DJXX

Yep the 5-6 dollar powder is great. Whats the price on the root plugs?

TheHoppyPepper

Screw cloning powders and gels, you really can root a popsickle stick with vitagrow, and in 3 days at that. Plus my buddy that owns a grow shop nearby says, hes been using the same bottle for years (i think he just grows his headdies), has shit floating in it, no issues with contamination at all despite, the stuff is awesome. 3 seconds dip in blue liquid, Snypes cloning formula sans his measured bleach, i just spray a few seconds in the box w my one gallon HD sprayer (lowes one sucksass), and its good. Two caps per gallon bleach fyi. I have experimented on boxes i was losing to mush, they can take a shit ton of bleach and not die for a week, talking half a cup in ten gallons. Note they don't live either, but bleach has a wide margin for error at the quantity he lists

Latest posts

Latest posts