What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Root Plugs!!!!! Love Them!!!!!Worth a look!!!!

DJXX

Veteran
I just finished my first round of cloning using these and I was extremely unimpressed versus Rapid Rooters.

Firstly, I got them totally dry. They had to be rehydrated. I filled the tray with water, pouring it over the cubes until it was full. The cubes floated. I had to push them down into the water but then they'd just float back up. I allowed it to soak for 24 hours and the tops of about 1/2 the plugs were still dry as a bone (aka, poor wicking).

Secondly, the holes I found them to have were too shallow. I had to go through every cube with my scalpel so that my stems would be in contact with the material. This was time consuming.

Thirdly, I allowed a little water to remain in the bottom of the tray. This was a terrible idea. Due to the poor wicking the bottom of the plugs stayed completely saturated. This rotted out several clones, while other still managed to root higher up on the stem. I cannot leave water in the tray, but I would also have to pour water over them almost daily to prevent them from becoming uneven in their moisture.

The plants that did root, rooted well with extremely healthy looking new shoots. After 1 try with these plugs I learned a few things and would definitely approach them differently. While I think the product itself is not bad, it is my opinion that the rapid rooters are still a superior product.
i cut all the way down one side of the plug...then you jus open it up and lay the clone in it...you don't knock off the gel or powder when you lay them in it, like if you put them in a hole..and you can take a peek if you want and you don't disturb them at all...i'll put up a pic..DJXX

Attachments

• SAM_2493.jpg
    SAM_2493.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_2494.jpg
    SAM_2494.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 9

Snow Crash

Veteran
I bought em on Ebay for $36 free shipping...i'll put up pics tonight of both plugs and the difference in root size..DJXX

I got them for just $19.95. Free shipping because the warehouse is kind of right behind me...

But that's not fair! I got you covered though. Coupon Code for free shipping on Cocogro 50 cell tray:
CocoFree

i cut all the way down one side of the plug...then you jus open it up and lay the clone in it...you don't knock off the gel or powder when you lay them in it, like if you put them in a hole..and you can take a peek if you want and you don't disturb them at all...i'll put up a pic..DJXX

This is a fantastic reminder and tip. I have done this myself and completely forgot! It had been a long time since I needed to clone anything. :tiphat:

Snow Crash

Veteran
Maxibloom 16lb- $77, shipping $110
:laughing:

Where the hell are you shipping that to? Hawaii? Alaska? Next day air?

Shipping from the warehouse to my house would only be $15.35.
Seattle would be $19.12, and so is Denver.
Hell, Great Barrington MA is only $33.56. That's what, $2 a pound to ship it across the entire country.

No idea how/why you bothered posting something so obviously wrong without the details of how you achieved it. Feel free to check for yourself.

:moon:

We're done.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Where the hell are you shipping that to? Hawaii? Alaska? Next day air?

Shipping from the warehouse to my house would only be $15.35.
Seattle would be $19.12, and so is Denver.
Hell, Great Barrington MA is only $33.56. That's what, $2 a pound to ship it across the entire country.

No idea how/why you bothered posting something so obviously wrong without the details of how you achieved it. Feel free to check for yourself.

:moon:

We're done.

Smoke a J, chill out:biggrin: Ya, Alaska. Ain't no ground shipping that don't involve a slow barge to this place, 6-10 weeks on any method that says ground and 90% of the time they won't ship ground to here. $98.04 to ship ground and $110.32 if I want to see it sooner with second day air:tiphat: That looked like a good store with great prices is why I checked to see if they rape you on only UPS shipping. The good places to me will ship USPS. That tub of MB will fit in large flat rate priority box for $12 :tiphat:

Last edited:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've cloned a bunch with rr's and they were pretty good to me about 70% of the time...I've since switched to all vermiculite and have better results but they take much longer. After seeing this product, I'd love to give it a shot. I've got two questions though...could I take 2" netpods and fill them with coir and use it in the same manner as these coco cubes?
2nd question: Would you put these in a tray to wick them, or just top water or would/could you use this in a bubbler? Thanks for posting!

DJXX

Veteran
i think if you put coir in the 6 plug holders, i but i don't know bout the net pots...probably erode out of the holes...here is a pic of the Root Riots and Cocogro plugs with roots ...Riots on the left....DJXX

Attachments

• SAM_2500.jpg
    SAM_2500.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 16

dabking

I've cloned a bunch with rr's and they were pretty good to me about 70% of the time...I've since switched to all vermiculite and have better results but they take much longer. After seeing this product, I'd love to give it a shot. I've got two questions though...could I take 2" netpods and fill them with coir and use it in the same manner as these coco cubes?
2nd question: Would you put these in a tray to wick them, or just top water or would/could you use this in a bubbler? Thanks for posting!

you would need some type of inert binder like corn starch to keep from falling apart. Who knows how long it will work...

DONAJTHEIII

I actually got these and didnt like them at all got them for free in a 50 pack botanicare dome kit from my local shop. Thought the cubes were sick at first.

when you get them right away youll notice that they are way lighter than a rapidrooter/root riot. With that said They dry out alot faster so if your into watering more often then these are for you.

Im not saying there a bad product just diff and didnt work for me as I like to touch my clones the least as possible.

AJAE

Weeded1s

I mean that rr is so much wetter than the coco it needs a squeeze other wise those roots wont move (their not meant to be water logged which u can obviously see they r. Im not talking shit by any means but rr is sid can go in any media and is cheal so nothing I would change for. Plus if I wanted to clone in coco id just fill a clone square with coco and insert a clone.
Root burst ftw . 100 percent roots. No one else has posted a 100 percent..and I cloned louie 13 and chem d with roots in about 10 days. So thats all im sayin yo. :)

Weeded1s

P.s. he does live in the middle of no ware.. probably a donkey needs to drop it off. lol
btw... that shipping price is not for everyone.
Wait till mm sees that post hes gonna jerk off while posting . Hahaha

dabking

That tray lets the plugs dry too much from the bottom, loosely fit. Its designed for rockwool. I have 2 of them. They work great for flushing stand over a bucket.

DJXX

Veteran
here are 11 more babies shooting out rootage...love these plugs..DJXX

Attachments

• SAM_2697.jpg
    SAM_2697.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_2698.jpg
    SAM_2698.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Latest posts