What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Organic Nutrients from General Hydroponics

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thanks Mistress that's what I wanted to hear! I swear I can see a difference already! Over night after 2 feedings and a nice foliar feed they just seem so happy and look like they perked up and are standing at attention waiting for orders hahaha. I wish I had enough of the Organicare line to do a side by side, I might have enough to do a plant in my CFL cab cuz I'm curious since the Organicare gave me some of my happiest plants in my cab and the tastiest too. They are similar lines IMO with slight differences but the Seaplex and BioWeed are very similar just a lil different in color and my girls LOVED that shit (seaplex) but anyway I sent some questions to the Tech guys at GH and this is what I got back and what I said ect...

I said...
"Woooo Hoooooooooooo! Boy was I the lucky guy in the shop today hahaha thanks again I'm trying the line out on my crop I have going now which is only been in veg a week or so and I have been using Flora Nova Grow at 5ml a gal with 1ml of Floralicious Plus. Can I switch over safely without having to flush heavy? I'm in Ready Gro Moisture Formula and water by hand 2x a day drain to waste, from what I can see the Bio Thrive Grow and Bloom are like FloraNova cut in half but with organic sourced materials? Kinda? I ask cuz I'm wondering if full strength 10ml is needed or will 5ml of the BioThrive Grow be ok? I know being that I'm in coco I'm running the CaMg+ all the way and glad you guys made it with no N in it! I'm just curious at what strength to run the stuff as it seems more like hydro organic than straight organics is this the case? Somebody also said they talked to someone at GH and were told that you can't use this GO line in a recirculating system? Also I don't mind being modified organics like using a non organic bloom booster like Liquid Kool Bloom or Ginormous which are the two I've used before and am I not needing the boost of PK anymore? I just don't see the BioBud being enough. I guess what I need to know is I'm tired of messing around with this nutrient line and that one cuz I started with Flora Nova and tried a bunch since and felt stupid when I came back to the ease of Flora Nova and the KISS schedule which I KNOW WORKS. So will I get the same if not better results when it comes to yield coloring and taste? "

He said...
"Glad you got them!

1. You can switch over safely without a heavy flush, but if you want to start with the most "organic" base you can, I would recommend flushing once or twice.
2. FloraNova and the General Organics are not the same at all. You always want to start light and work up, however don't be afraid of overdoing it with the BioThrive. It can safely be doubled. I have been doubling it myself, for about a month with great results. I don't really understand your "hydro-organic/straight organic" question about the CaMg+, but I would recommend running it at 5ml/gal for light, and 10ml/gal if you are using RO water, or are dealing with a Calcium hungry scenario.
3. The GO is not recommended for use in a hydroponic system. I have been hearing good results, using a Ebb/Flow system with a bio-filtration unit and no airstone, just a submerged airline for aeration.
4. When feeding your plants with organic nutrition, you will need to be aware of the paradigm shift you are entering into.
a. With nutrients such as the FloraSeries or FloraNova, you are working with mainly mineral based nutrition. This means that pH and EC are REQUIRED for nutrient absorption into the roots. When working with organic nutrition, it is all about breakdown and bio-active processes. A healthy, functioning organic root zone will be the responsible party for breakdown and absorption, not pH and EC. Therefore the ridiculously high NPK ratios you find commonplace on many soluble mineral fertilizers, simply doesn't have the same "affect" in the root zone.
b. In regards to your PK boost/non-organic bloom boost; I have been hearing people using Atami's Bloombastic with the Full GO line including the BioBud and loving it. The lower numbers on the BioBud are because it is an organic enhancement product, not a mineral based bloom booster. So, if you are okay with using a bloom boost, go ahead, just realize the difference in the uptake process. Organic nutrition does not normally produce comparable yields, but enhance the flavor, color and aroma of your fruits. This is why the bloom boost addition has been a popular addition to the program."

Have a good day,

Last edited:
The guy I talked to appears to really knows his shit. I can't wait to try the samples when they get in next week. My grow box should be done by then, I have been vegging for over a month and these girls are ready to become women.

Numboard

Woo just ordered my set (cant beat 15 bucks)
Called them up asked for free samples.
I hope i get quart bottles of everything!!
Cant wait to start using this stuff.
I also asked he why these aren't recommended for dwc/recirculating
She was pretty short with her answer: Its because of the micro organisms boom out of control. Not quite sure what that means but I didn't inquire further.

onegreenday

Veteran
Woo just ordered my set (cant beat 15 bucks)
Called them up asked for free samples.
I hope i get quart bottles of everything!!
Cant wait to start using this stuff.
I also asked he why these aren't recommended for dwc/recirculating
She was pretty short with her answer: Its because of the micro organisms boom out of control. Not quite sure what that means but I didn't inquire further.

I tried some DWC and the Ph goes way up.
I think a couple plants reacted bad.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I've been using it as the chart says in my CFL cab and the dude at GH said I could double up safely on my dose to boost the PK levels not having a bloom booster and so I did! Well the shit burned my plants! Since I've dropped back to the normal dose per the chart they are happy... I'm using Humboldt Nutrients - Deuce Deuce 0-0-22 as my finisher since it's fully organic also so we'll see in the next 2-3 weeks

-~Wind Walker~-

Oh I need some GO Feedback

Oh I need some GO Feedback

Grow gang,

I just picked up the full line of GH's General Organics.

I want to get some feedback on what I was hoping to set up.

I have read much about how the GO line does not run well in a hydro set up...foaming..etc etc..

Here is what I was thinking of doing.

I wanted to set up a small DIY ebb and flow with a 3 gal reservoir below the ebb and flow table exposed to air.

My ebb and flow table or pan would have grooves with rope in them and I planned on using peat moss (actual moss, not all ground up) and the ropes to wick or distribute the nutes up into my plants in containers of a mix of chunky perlite and vermiculite.

I would use mostly vermiculite in the bottom of the plant container to help wick the moisture / nutes up into the chunky perlite / vermiculite mix.
Any feedback on this idea?

Is a mix of perlite & vermiculite considered a soilless mix vs hydro?

If my reservoir is exposed to air would that be enough to satisfy the "aeration" requirements of these nutes.:blowbubbles:

I would like to use a submersible pump to circulate the nutes to the ebb and flow table.

I was thining of putting an air stone on a timer in the res. and aerating the nutes for a few intervals per day. For example maybe 2 five minutes bursts per day. Would this aerate the nutes enough without causing too much foaming?:blowbubbles:

Alternatively, I was thinking of installing a second pump in the res just to circulate the nutes in the res. so the nutes would be aerated without using a small bubble source such as an air stone. In essence, one pump would be used to supply the ebb and flow table and the other just to stir the nutes below in my reservoir.:blowbubbles:

Finally,
I do have a big bag of Coco Coir but I didn't want to start using or experimenting with it until I dial in the ebb and flow DIY system, with all the CA / MG deficiencies and what not.

I also have non organic hydro nutes I could use if this GO line would not be suitable for what I want to do.

Thanks,

-~WW~-

how does this stuff compare to the biosevia? or to the bio-bizz? is the bio-bizz still available? has anyone used this and the BB side by side?

C

Carl Carlson

A mix of perlite/vermiculite in containers on a flood and drain table is still hydro. I've always thought of hydro. as basically a subset of soilless. Those are soilless mediums that can be used in variety of ways.

C

Carl Carlson

I've been using the G.O. CaMg+ only along with FNG and FNB and simply using an airstone is enough to cause the foaming, but it doesn't clog my pulse irrigation lines or anything.

Comment from GC
Time August 30, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Hi,
I’m very interested in going organic with Genhydro , as I’ve had great success with FloraNova. Will this line up be suitable for Ebb and flow using Hydroton/Higromite mix ( 50/50) as the medium ? I do aerate the res.
Thanks

Comment from Tiger Lilly
Time September 3, 2009 at 9:20 am

Hi! Yes, you can use the General Organics with your system. If you aerate the res with a pump that makes big giant bubbles, there could be issues with foaming. This is because the oxygen causes the microbes to reproduce, and the foam is made up of the actual excess microbes. If the foaming is a problem, try modding your pump or switching to something that aerates with smaller bubbles. Or, add a drop or two of our Bio-Marine. Just like with a pot of pasta water that’s overboiling, adding a drop of oil will bring down the foam. Good luck!

-~Wind Walker~-

I've been using the G.O. CaMg+ only along with FNG and FNB and simply using an airstone is enough to cause the foaming, but it doesn't clog my pulse irrigation lines or anything.

Hey Carl,

Thanks for your feedback. I was on the GO blog site and clicked around to research and gather info but did not find the specific entry you shared here. I find their blog site hard to navigate or not very well organized. I recall seeing the Bio-Marine comment now that you had quoted this info. If I decide to expirment with my DIY ebb and flow idea I will keep this in mind as a resolution to the foam problem / issue.

Did you cycle the airstone or have it running the whole time?
I see the guidance their GH / GO administrator or advisor Tiger Lilly gave was to use an air source with smaller bubbles, yet their feeding chart with the bullet points in the lower left hand corner explains to use large bubbles vs small (chart I downloaded from the GH/GO site).

Ugh, me thinks we are their test group. Hmmm..

I know I mentioned an ebb and flow earlier. But on second thought I am leaning towards using a product in my repertoire from Botanicare called Ready-Gro Chubby:

READYGRO™ is a specialized blend of perlite, coir fiber, PURE BLEND™ compost accelerator, earthworm castings, Agrimineral 72 silica clay, polymer hydro-crystals and Rootshield bio-fungicide.

This product is listed as a soilless mix, btw.

I will use this and amend this mix with maybe a small amount of bat guano and add chunky perlite.

Furthermore, I would use this auto watering system product I picked up called Blumat Jr. to water the plants if and when I need to travel, Vs. the ebb and flow system I would build.

Finally, I would use light amounts of the GO line when necessary.

-~WW~-

C

Carl Carlson

just picked up the full line, any tips?

just picked up the full line, any tips?

hey all, just got the full line from general organics for free today! a vendor was in town...anyway i decided to give them a shot.i am about a week into flowering and up until now i have been using distilled water and sensi grow a and b.im using ffof soil and a 400 watt hps, i just read through this whole thread and didnt see any real definitive answers(sorry if i missed them) on how well this stuff works. any tips or feeding schedule help is appreciated...do i use the diamond black and fish the whole grow? thanks for any help

and also, i have a bottle of botanicare bloom1-4-5 and a packet of 40 grams of bud blood and a large grotek 0-50-30 super bloom... is there any way to work these into my feeding? maybe substitute one for another? like i said, any help is really appreciated lol

Attachments

• DSCN1565.jpg
    DSCN1565.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 22
  • nutes.jpg
    nutes.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 21

Turtle Lord

Hey there, I grow in a Coco/Happy Frog soil with Azomite, Dolomite Lime, J.Greensand amendments and I had previously been feeding with Guano/Compost/Casting teas, then tried Humboldt's organic line, decided it didn't outperform the guano etc teas well enough to justify their price.

I picked up the GH Organic line about 2 weeks ago. I am only using the Veg and Bloom formulas as I don't quite feel the need for their Bio Bud, Root, CaMg+, etc. due to reusing well amended soil.

So, that said, this GH Organic line performs better than I had hoped or expected. This outperforms my homebrew teas by about 50% in terms of internode length, color, vigor, scent and how many centimeters they add per day under the light. I've noticed two new flavors becoming present in the flower room: carnauba and patchouli (these are in two separate strains that I've grown for 15+ generations), which is awesome for any conoisseur. I'd say these outperform the humboldt organic line (I used the full line except Mayan Microzyme) by about 25% in the same terms. I must say that the apparent increase in the variety or volume of terpenoids has placed the BioThrive line right at the top for me. It's not expensive, the ratios are sane, you don't have to pH it (awesome for growers starting up not needing to drop 110 on a pH pen)

I haven't noticed any difference in crystal density or size with any nutrient changes.

Just thought I'd drop in and say I'm a BIG fan off the GH Organic BioThrive line. I will admit I haven't yet tried Nature's Nectar and they are OMRI listed...so I'll probably be giving them a try after I empty my quarts of BioThrive.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Do u mind sharing your soil/coco mix recipe and what rate are u feeding at....their chart or based on plant reaction? Tap or RO? Thanks !

Turtle Lord

1 part Coco Chip
1 part coco coir
2 parts happy frog
Azomite per box
J Greensand per box
Dolomite Lime per box

That's my dirt. My water is filtered tap, but NOT RO. I use a particulate filter that removes only heavy metals, chlorine, arsenic, etc. but leaves trace minerals inside. My water is 32 ppm out of my filter. pH at 52 degrees is 7.5, pH at 77 degrees is 6.9-7.0.

I'm feeding mostly based on plant reaction, but I definitely used the bottle as a guideline:
bottle says 2 tsp/gal for light feed and 4tsp/gal for heavy. The heaviest I've fed yet is 3 tsp/gal as my girls are only 2 weeks into bloom and I always feel better about feeding light than feeding heavy. I'll be giving a full strength feed in 2-3 days (4 tsp/gal) in the bloom room. I fed the veg girls 3 tsp/gal and they responded amazingly (they are only 3 weeks old). The pH was pretty insane...but after reading up, I decided to trust GH and didn't adjust the pH. This had me totally skeptical my first feed, but the girls responded within 2 days. I actually felt a HUGE shift in the energy in the room the day right after the first feed, it was downright powerful in there...but that's my hocuspocus. 2-3 weeks into feeding this BioThrive and I haven't seen anything that looks anything like lockout.

My tea pH data so far:
Bloom:
1t/g: 6.1
2t/g: 5.2
3t/g: 4.5

Veg:
1t/g: 6.2-6.3
2t/g: 5.4
3t/g: 4.6

I'll throw a picture up after the next feed. I took a pic yesterday (2 days after a feed), clean watering tonight, feeding in 2 days like I said, then 2-3 days after that I'll take another pic, so we can side by side them.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. =)

Numboard

I was reading this thread a while ago and I thought these nutes would be great in my new grow so I called up g.h. and ordered my free samples. Later on as im reading the rest of the thread i realized these aren't going to work in my rdwc because of algae bloom. I called general hydro back but it was after hours, left a message stating that id no longer like them. 4 days later they show up and I'm stuck with this box of nutes I cant use. Are there any ones that I can make use of in my rdwc? Pretty sure camg is okay right? any others?

Numboard

Okay fine. Ill just trial and error for myself.
Now testing 1 fl-oz bio weed, bio thrive bloom and bio thrive grow
IMG_3606.jpg

Will they turn into buckets of green filth? tune in next time to find out!
Also found a awesome way to quiet down this beast of a pump
IMG_3608.jpg

:laughing:
Next day: I'm not quite sure how long I should run this but, theres no algae yet.