What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New L.E.D. Arrays & LowRyder2

dav zap

sunnyside smoke it

sunnyside smoke it

If you ever smoked well grown LED pot, you would've been stoned. But, it doesn't seem that you have. Put it in your pipe and ...

dav zap

Texas Kid try out

Texas Kid try out

LEDs for growing are in their infancy if anything. The video that you linked to doesn't tell how he arrived at using that particular little LED unit. Wouldn't it seem apparent that he needed more? Thats what I'm trying to do. On some plants, LEDs easily out-grow HPS. But we'll stick to the pot, here. But it is known so trying it on pot is logical.

dav zap

slohemian salutation

slohemian salutation

Hey like its a brand new field of endeavor with many points of success, thats why LEDs are taking over the lighting industry, and beyond. They can do what no other lamp can. Like billboard size TV. So finding the sweet spot for pot growth hasn't got that kind of research yet. They already have LED street lights. Not quite a plant lite, but close.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Maybe in another 5-10 years LED's might be a viable option but nowadays there just a ripp off for the shit results you get when flowering.They may be ok for growing parsley,lettuce and other small leafy herbs at nasa but for big fat nuggets in your grow room there a big no no.
I'd love to see this technology develope faster but it'll take a long time to reach were we want to go with it.

dav zap

mature marijuanamat

mature marijuanamat

Hello man. We all have seen disappointing yields from LED grows which I speculate is maybe a couple reasons; not enough "muscle" behind those diodes, or a missing element possibly, but what? I have kept increasing to this point is now my biggest jump up in power. With the dwarf plant or a scrog one could seriously surround the plant with LEDs. That is what I am attempting now. Lets see if I have more power than the other grows we've seen?

PEACE & POT

dav zap

knna cool, calm and collected, indeed.

knna cool, calm and collected, indeed.

Thank you for those words of wisdom, knna. Well spoken sir. How profoundly simple, more power, I agree. That is what I have been trying to do, add power. I know I'm in the ball park, close to the mark at least. This grow will be double the power of my last grow, so I'm sure of decent results, at least. Hopefully more better.
PEACE & POT

I briefly read through this thread, so if this has already been mentioned, please excuse me. However, the best LED (and only really usable as far as I know) on the market is almost certainly the Procyon 100 http://www.homegrownlights.com/100W.html

a 100w blue/red LED with a beam designed for 3' X 3'. The power draw is actually 125w however. Anyway, this should theoretically be 100 PAR watts on the plant, in a 10 square foot area. Since the inverse square law (if the use the correct diodes) will not apply to the laser style projection of light from the LED.

I will almost certainly adopt these for my garden when the price is inline with HIDs...$599 right now for a 400w (more imo) equivalent with 50K+ hours of operation and 1/4 the power cost...if that was 399 I'd probably do it.

dav zap

wait a minute or meter

wait a minute or meter

Greetings aaronponic. Wait to see the results of this hardware or if you have a light-meter near me. The Procyon seems well designed as far as a piece of hardware however, we're not here for industrial design awards. Also it appears to be fan dependant. Measurements like its for a 10x10' area seems excessive. Most LEDs lens is more narrow than that for a reason, intensity. If the LEDs are that dispersed they wouldn't have the muscle left for the pot plants needs. Maybe OK for lettuce, however. btw a friend of mine did put the Procyon next to these lights and they were not as bright! So like I was saying, wait a minute. And I decided to add a few more units of Red arrays to this grow. Right now I can't squeeze any more in, till the plant gets a few inches tall, then...

dav zap

Raised the bet

Raised the bet

I just decided to order Four new Red arrays to be used for side-lighting on this plant. The total wattage will now be 120 watts. I think we're going to grow some decent buddage, eh. I'm puttin' my pedal to the metal. These new Red arrays will show their stuff for us. :jump:

dav zap said:
Greetings aaronponic. Wait to see the results of this hardware or if you have a light-meter near me. The Procyon seems well designed as far as a piece of hardware however, we're not here for industrial design awards. Also it appears to be fan dependant. Measurements like its for a 10x10' area seems excessive. Most LEDs lens is more narrow than that for a reason, intensity. If the LEDs are that dispersed they wouldn't have the muscle left for the pot plants needs. Maybe OK for lettuce, however. btw a friend of mine did put the Procyon next to these lights and they were not as bright! So like I was saying, wait a minute. And I decided to add a few more units of Red arrays to this grow. Right now I can't squeeze any more in, till the plant gets a few inches tall, then...

They claim that their light works over a 10 square foot area, that is not 10' X 10'. It is more like 3 X 3. Which sounds about right to me. Think of it as 100 PAR Watts of light. That is about what an HID lamp will be putting on the plants, hell, that is what some 400w lights make initially. An LED that projects all its light over a given area is extremely efficient. You said a friend put these lights next to the procyon and said the procyon was not as bright. How was this measured? The Procyon claims to use the world's "most efficient LED" (http://www.netl.doe.gov/ssl/highlights_cree06.htm) so I do not understand how with less wattage you were able to achieve more lumen.

Also, for constructing an effecient grow room I do believe that industrial design is important, and a light such as the procyon that can be stacked in a row with 10 other lights making a nice neat rectangle to grow within is favored over one that can not.

Last edited:

SacredBreh

Hello all......

Hello all......

Want to sit in on this one. LEDs time is coming but not here yet. IMHO. Have studied it in depth. I believe one day not too far into the future LEDs will be the main form of light source for almost everything including house hold lighting. Maybe it is common knowledge but I will throw it out there anyway. Almost all stop lights in USA have been traded out for LED displays. Its true. Look closely the next time your sitting at one. This has been done to save literally millions- billions of dollars per year --replacement, electrical use, failure all reduced immensely. I bet in 25 years people will look back and see our present lights for what they are best at... heaters.

I believe as the technology gets better and cheaper just like computers did, LEDs will take over...including growing. Just my two cents and probably about as worthless. :spank:

Oh and NASA has all our tax dollars to build and buy the strongest and best. They are also experimenting with a mercury/microwave lamp that is so hot it must be suspended in a vacuum and spun at super speeds but produces light at near equatorial, noon day light. SSSSsssshhhheessshhhh can you imagine how much that cost us to build. Yes they are growing great stuff in hopes of long trips to Mars or further but it will be awhile before you or I will be able to buy their level of equipment..... but it will come.

Peace

Peace

Last edited:

dav zap

Aaronponic

Aaronponic

Hello there and excuse me for misreading that 10x10 thing! I'll try and be responsive as possible. I do not know what my friend used to determine brightness comparison, but knowing him I would think it prof. I'll ask. And watch the choice of words; most efficient hasn't got a real bearing on how bright it is, just that it is working well. And for the Procyon having advantageous design, I guess so, eh. There is good reading at >LEDsmagazine.com< and LED grow videos at YouTube.com< You have to use their search engine. You do sound well read though, my friend! Lets see what my toys will grow. :laughing:

dav zap

SacredBreh

SacredBreh

Hey man, look again, the day is here and now. Not only the traffic lights, but now the street lights too. You can buy one today. As well as surplus traffic light LEDs. At LEDGrow Lights.com, he has out-grown HPS with my LEDs on vegetables. Check it out. They doubled their brightness so I traded up. This maybe the most LEDs on one plant that I;ve ever seen, so lets watch it grow into buds. Much. eh.

PEACE & POT

SacredBreh

dav zap......

dav zap......

You misunderstood or I did not make apparent my thoughts (which is usual for me) :0) . There are applications this tech. is ready for now at certain levels. Much like the computers they used to put a man on the moon with so long ago. Those computers were the reel to reel type that took up 3 LARGE BUILDINGS when they put the first man up there. Today even most outdated home computers are capable of much higher speeds and power than those three buildings of computers were capable of then..... I believe LEDs will be similar or are similar to the analogy above right now. Do you see what I mean? I think what you are doing is excellent and in the necessary evolution of the technology.

When I go camping I use a lantern. At one point in time say late 1800s and very early 1900s. That piece of equipment would have been marveled at.... streets were lit with oil lamps, and later, natural gas lamps. A lantern that could produce the kind of light, with pressured gas and a mantel, with refined fuel would have cost a mass fortune and been marveled at by all but there would have been skeptics that would be saying the same thing as those about LEDs now.
A light bulb of any type is still the same thing as those lamps. We changed the fuel (gas to electricity), the mantel (flame or mantel to filament), then later to energy excited gases (MH,HPS) but really it was just a more efficient form of light we started with....... A camp fire.

We can grow some decent sacrament today with the present LEDs. My point was a little farther view. As you know, LEDs produce light in a whole new way with a control we never have had before. I am just saying we don't even have a clue as to what the questions are that we will some day be working on the answers too regarding this technology and its applications. Your work now with these LEDs is the start towards those questions. Much like when the first wealthy person bought one of the first IBM computers that ran on DOS, and found he had a need he brought up because of his first application of the technology that the inventors never would have dreamed of using it for....... like growing the Sacred Herb with LEDs as you are doing. I doubt the inventors pondered that or even growing applications at all.

I hope some of that made sense. Can you imagine when the agricultural industries are forced to feed the world with the preciseness we now take care of our own little gardens with...... And they will have to ........ Water is going to be the next oil for humanity if we survive long enough. Whole growing green houses with integrated into plant canopy LEDs with 1000x the brightness, where the spectrums of light will be literally dialed on a computer for each stage of growing of each individual type of crop. America and vast portions of the earth were void of humans relatively speaking 500 years ago. Now look at us. 500 years from now food will have to be grown with the type of preciseness each of us uses in our little tropical paradises today. I think LEDs or their future evolutions will be a huge part of the need to expand mass agriculture to a 24hour cycle like we have, in the spaces we have, and the limited resources we have.
:rant:

Peace

dav zap said:
most efficient hasn't got a real bearing on how bright it is, just that it is working well.:

It was my understanding that the efficiency of the diodes was measured in light produced/energy used.

dav zap

similar SacredBreh

similar SacredBreh

We are parallel SacredBreh. Much of what you said about the plight of the earth rings true to me. We are over-populated. Why else the destruction of ancient forests, which should stay intact. And yeah LEDs can be dialed into any frequency with photographic accuracy. They made giant TV with LEDs as the pixels. And now to grow with LED. I also think that they will change somehow. I usually tell about the "car-phone" for $1,300. that I got in 1988.
It costed .38 @ minute to talk. This is exciting times, no one has pulled off a good pot grow yet with LED. Some decent grows, though. I saw one on video with LED and the guy actually had very large colas! So I'm doing the only thing I can think of to get it - add more LEDs. Until then, SacredBreh...

PEACE & POT

:wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts