What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
are you talking about different strains?

I tried one strain which is very lemony terp rich, and it makes a really soft extract, which wont pick up right away very well off the parchment without a lot of fucking around. You can either freeze those sheets or just let it sit for an hour. It will harden up over time. Time works better than freezing.

Sounds like the monoterpenes are being lost during the hour, a test before and after would tell us. Time works better because the terpenes are lost faster when not frozen.
-SamS

Last edited:

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see the rosin hipsters talking about it dewaxing... can someone explain that one to me, I would imagine the wax and lipids liquefy and pass through the screen with the oleoresin.

which to me, assuming it doesnt dewax, would negate the benefit of using high quality fullmelt, all they are doing at that point is a partial decarb and removing some quanitity of volatile terps... right?

I understand it may smell stronger but I wonder if they realize it smells stronger becasue more terps have evaporated and are now in the air instead of in their resin?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Sounds like the monoterpenes are being lost during the hour, a test before and after would tell us. Tome works better because the terpenes are lost faster when not frozen.
-SamS

I agree, i assumed some terpene loss was taking place that allowed it to be picked up later. Really lemony strains ran with butane its really hard to keep those lemony terpenes as well. I have managed to roll off the stuff right away, like i said its a bit of a hassle. The extract is very aromatic and sappy/soft.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
has anyone figured out why it sometimes sticks to the parchment paper?
…it was a different strain.. freezing didn’t seem to help almost all stuck.. first few times I did it it it came right up

not sure yet if I like the clothes iron or hair iron

Glad you mentioned this…I had that problem a couple times too. (& freezing didn’t help me either.)
I’m hoping an oil slick sheet will resolve that?? Hasn’t seemed to be a huge issue, but I’m curious… :chin:

((edit: I somehow missed Hashmasta-Kut’s post on leaving it out…I will try this too! Thanks!!))

Originally posted by Hashmasta-Kut:
how do you gather it? i use a glass rod tip, works really well.
I love this tip!! :yes: Thank you! Gonna try that next time.
'you must spread the K around, yadda yadda yadda' :wave:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I agree, i assumed some terpene loss was taking place that allowed it to be picked up later. Really lemony strains ran with butane its really hard to keep those lemony terpenes as well. I have managed to roll off the stuff right away, like i said its a bit of a hassle. The extract is very aromatic and sappy/soft.

Roll it up quick and put in a non stick container and freeze it. to preserve the max terpenes. I want the terpenes, I don't care if it is sappy, I want quality more then ease of use.
-SamS

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Roll it up quick and put in a non stick container and freeze it. to preserve the max terpenes. I want the terpenes, I don't care if it is sappy, I want quality more then ease of use.
-SamS

hey sam,

do you press your sift into rosin?

cyat

Veteran
nailed it right after I posted that question... thanks for the input..

I just wasnt getting a good press.. solved it by rolling my coffe filter package in a tight tight ball ... got a crazy yield and pure pure flavor completly true to the weed ( cheese)
came out super shattery too, I did used a 110 screen from pocono to make the kief

cyat

Veteran
Also gotta say it burns extremely good in a cheap pen as good as a nail, less clogging and cleaner than wax in the pen!

Infinitesimal

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, I read some more of the thread, if guys are getting good % from flowers then it makes sense.

I've only been seeing people sqeeze liitle nugs and various grades of hash :D but I would still like to know if it dewax's? I havent found anything on that in the thread yet

theother

It's definitely less waxy. I never get that deep down in my lungs wax grab I can get off a lot of bho. I assume some waxes are naturally coming with the rosen but no where near what comes away with most solvent extractions.

Sunfire

Veteran
I assume it will dewaxing some as you are using the heat and pressure to rupture the trichrome heads and bleed the insides all.over the parchment. You will for sure not pick up as much wax with kief or water hash as all the plant related waxes will be left behind on the plant material.

A 110 screen is super tiny. I always used the blue bubble bag to make di kief for processing, I'm not scared of a little more plant material, I think those are 220 micron. Or are you talking mesh?

I think the best production will be achieved with kief. I want to experiment with different diameter and thickness picks of kief pre-press ed with a screw press or hydraulic hash press. They will obviously need to be spaced enough on the shirt press to allow enough room for the product to run but if the product overlaps that'd be great cause it would be thicker. I'm trying to think on a production level.

Idk how this stuff will last though as you purposely rupturing the trichrome heads, the wax coating protects them. Are dispensaries supposed to store it all in a freezer? This why I don't like pressing my water, it will melt more because you ruptures the trich heads releasing the oil, but it doesn't hold its flavor as long. I have some just straight kief from a trim tray that's like a year and a half old, just sitting in jars in the kitchen, 2 different strains, and it's still full melt super stinky and tasty.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this technique until I can do my own experiments in a few months.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I strongly suggest you store dry sift resin in a freezer for times longer then a few months, it will keep better. The same with water hash and Rosin, freeze it to preserve it over time or in the case of Rosin to keep the terpenes that are now all exposed to the air.
-SamS

I assume it will dewaxing some as you are using the heat and pressure to rupture the trichrome heads and bleed the insides all.over the parchment. You will for sure not pick up as much wax with kief or water hash as all the plant related waxes will be left behind on the plant material.

A 110 screen is super tiny. I always used the blue bubble bag to make di kief for processing, I'm not scared of a little more plant material, I think those are 220 micron. Or are you talking mesh?

I think the best production will be achieved with kief. I want to experiment with different diameter and thickness picks of kief pre-press ed with a screw press or hydraulic hash press. They will obviously need to be spaced enough on the shirt press to allow enough room for the product to run but if the product overlaps that'd be great cause it would be thicker. I'm trying to think on a production level.

Idk how this stuff will last though as you purposely rupturing the trichrome heads, the wax coating protects them. Are dispensaries supposed to store it all in a freezer? This why I don't like pressing my water, it will melt more because you ruptures the trich heads releasing the oil, but it doesn't hold its flavor as long. I have some just straight kief from a trim tray that's like a year and a half old, just sitting in jars in the kitchen, 2 different strains, and it's still full melt super stinky and tasty.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this technique until I can do my own experiments in a few months.

blastfrompast

Veteran
John B (death of bho vid)showed a buddy last night how he does his flower /flat iron press, definately need to do the tiny little flower balls....I'd still rather just use sift..

0.1-0.2g flower per press=a dab(or 2 if your lucky)

1.0g sift press last night got me 0.8g of beautiful rosin... Which is enough dabs for the evening for me.

7g sift press over the course of an hour on the weekend yielded enough to have a Rosin party with a few friends...

Downside....dumbass buddy cracked my glass dome from my dab rig.....some people can't handle their meds and turn into bumbling idjiots.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
attachment.php

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
not sure about that. i stomp on mine mercilessly for weeks now. that looks like an incorrect application of pressure, or perhaps a kung fu kick!

Sunfire

Veteran
Instagram is extremely hard to pull info from! Those death to bho u tube videos were so annoyong. That guy is extremely medicated and has the attention span of a drunken cat! All the actual useful info could have been condensed into 2 minutes instead of a 45 minute video. He doesn't know wtf he's doing when it come to kiefing material either.

Can everyone please just taken what they learn from Instagram and other places and just bring it here to an open forum discussion? Like the suggestion of 310F that was good!

I'm about ready to order a t shirt press today, I got mad other shit to do but I don't want to wait months to start playing with this!

Jurred

Got my 2 inch iron in today and pressed some compressed kief and shake. Really good results in my opinion. I didn't weigh anything but it was probably .4 or .5 in and a normal-small sized dab out. The two inch plates seem to make a big difference for bud.

lgA7tjl.jpg

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
well my dad got a laser pointer heat gauge thingy, and my hair iron sits at around 260 on lowest. it doesnt have a gauge or anything, just a dial that says 1-25. on 1 its around 262, on 10 its around 275. I tried pressing micro bud chunks on both settings and no discernable difference in color or heating/sizzle/off-vaping could be noticed really. the yield might have been better on the hotter temp, i will have a measuring device to cover that aspect tomorrow. my tshirt press when set at 260, actually is closer to 274.

cyat

Veteran
lots of opinions on technique from people who have not made it before..my advice is try it before over thinking it