What's new

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
well i am not sure what you mean by overthinking it. I find although its a simple process, its actually quite the science. An example of much thinking on the subject yielding interesting ideas, is that when you press, you can press to get as most as you can in the first press, getting quite a good product maybe almost eliminating the need for a second press. And second press oil is typically a lot darker if you achieve a thorough leach on first press, so you are left with a very inferior second grade. However maybe a better extract would be to just extract 20 or 30% of it on first press, then have a larger yield second press of pretty good stuff. There are tons of variables. One thing i am sure of for bud pressing, is the smaller the bud nug pressed the better for yield, but tomorrow i will do measured tests.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah I think that is a hard fast rule for making hash of any kind... more surface area = more yield... right?

I must say at first I thought it would only be good for cleaning up low quality hash but if you guys can pull close to 20% from flowers with a shirt press and stuff then this could be the connoisseur choice over oil for sure.

Sunfire

Veteran
Hashmasta - did you do a lot of research on t shirt presses? Which one did you settle on and why?

Sunfire

Veteran
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ROYXACU/ref=pd_aw_sbs_ac_42?refRID=111QMERJTTYNJT122P0M
This one says it's upgraded high pressure, but can we believe that, it's 350.

I see lots for 250, I like the looks of the power press, looks like longer handle for better leverage.

I see one for 400 that's 16x24. Perfect for my quilon sheets I already have but maybe that wouldn't be good because there would be less pressure on that much more surface area???

On amazon the ptfe sheets are on the bottom

Sunfire

Veteran
Ok well I went ahead and ordered this one...
http://www.heatpressnation.com/mpre...7cMPRESS1515&gclid=CKPc3YLv58QCFVVsfgodfScAKg

I called them and pretty much they admitted the "high pressure" and "strong arm design" were marketing ploys. But they are in socal so I should have it early next week. Was 290$ after tax and shipping. It can only press material 1/2" in thickness. I swear some that go up to 2 " and those are for tiles and such, maybe those will have more pressure? I'll play with this one and get the technique down, then I'll step up to the 16x24 and see if there's less pressure for the larger surface area, maybe I'll try a more expensive one that does up to 2" of material.

Jurred

Pressed some super sticky Watermelon OG and it came out great. Had my iron set at 280 but I don't have a heat gun so I don't know what the real temp is. Pressed for roughly 5 seconds.

X3UMS3p.jpg

ScgWV87.jpg

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
After playing around for a few hours with old dry sift that was very poor quality I can say more pressure at lower heat seems to be best, I am going to rent a steam roller and try a few kilos at a time with low temps and very high pressure, if it works I will retire for good, oh I forgot, I am retired now!!!
I am making 1 kilo bags from the 25 micron screen, and will press tomorrow in front of my house. Wish me luck....
-SamS

JColtrane

After playing around for a few hours with old dry sift that was very poor quality I can say more pressure at lower heat seems to be best, I am going to rent a steam roller and try a few kilos at a time with low temps and very high pressure, if it works I will retire for good, oh I forgot, I am retired now!!!
I am making 1 kilo bags from the 25 micron screen, and will press tomorrow in front of my house. Wish me luck....
-SamS

Take pictures Sam ... if you own a camera, that is :tiphat:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Hashmasta - did you do a lot of research on t shirt presses? Which one did you settle on and why?

i got mine cuz i was already looking at it, it was nearby, and Roji won second place in a competition using the same one, said it was good.

blastfrompast

Veteran
-SamS

I dont think you will need it...BUT not knowing how your roller press works, are you concerned with any moisture contamination from the steam?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i think the steam will evaporate if done just right.

I know for my small scale process, i was wondering about calculating yield from damp material, its not really fair to the numbers to keep the water as part of the weight i don't think. For example in a butane extraction you typically to get a good strain % return run the material quite dry, and when you weigh it hardly any moisture content affects numbers. So for fair and accurate heat press yields i think its better to weigh the extract gained and the left over weed pucks, as opposed to the initial weed weight, which has a lot of moisture in it. a lot of the moisture will evaporate in the steam transfer so you wont be weighing it in the flattened pucks much i dont think. I will test it before and after to see how much moisture cooks out too.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
-SamS

ya pictures would be cool. let us know how it goes :)

Sunfire

Veteran
I had the pleasure of meeting someone last night that's into rosin! He told me he's pressing nugs that are "dry as fuck" and doing very well! Sounds to me a lot of people outside this thread are using slightly higher temps that 310F but close to it, I need to experiment. The guy I met also said, like with all extractions, different strains have different needs.

As far as before someone saying they get best yield off of thin cheap parchment paper, when I was researching presses I read some comments about how the ptfe paper doesn't transfer heat as easily and to bump your temps up 10 degrees, that was for shirts though obviously so idk if that helps us at all but something to think about.

Lmao sam! I have a tractor and was thinking the same thing but a lit different. Was going to get some 1/2" steel sheets made, maybe even 1", and pre heat them in my oven and then press them with the tractor bucket, that should get some pressure going but the more surface area of press the lower your actual psi will be.

I actually know a machinest/genius in the bay that makes burningman art cars and all sorts of cool shit. I'm sure once I get shit dialed I can have him custom make big hydraulic presses and a machine to pre press little kief pucks!

I also just learned that dry sift is different from just regular kief!!! What? Really? I just thought that was what Canadians called kief! Holy cow! Can someone give me some links to research this, I was offered a demo and will take him up on it but I need to sponge up some knowledge too!

Sunfire

Veteran

Once the presses got involved my mind started racing. This is the future you guys we just gotta figure out production!

Homeboy I met, (hey man! Talking about you, hope you don't mind but this forum is all about sharing and freedom of information which is why I love it) told me rosin has been on the shelves at dispensaries in LA and is selling for like 150$ a gram! Omg I though roji was high when he said 100$ per gram but god damn kids let's get in this! Get it in the freezer asap and save those terps!

Sunfire

Veteran
Idk bro, you should experiment! I really want to have my friend make me one where I can measure and adjust the pressure. Apparently a "high pressure" 15x15 shirt press, with the "strong arm" assembly of how all the pivots and linkage is set up, can apply 60-70 psi but that depends on the weight of the person pressing and you need nowhere near that for shirts, which is why I next want to purchase one for tiles!

grip it and rip it bro and let us know! I think the worst concern would be the material squishing outwards, that would cause the parchment to tear under high pressure. That's where the pre Pressed kief pucks would be great!

Latest posts

Latest posts