What's new

new england growers:regional info part 2

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
generally skunk cabbage is only found in thick,goopy mud around here

:tiphat:

Thanks, after doing a little research i came to that same conclusion. What i could do with the plot is make swamp tubes. I have some 5 gallon buckets laying around, i could cut some 1" diameter holes in the bottoms for the roots to reach down and drink from the surrounding wetland. I'll probably fill the pots with a mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Does any one know if i have to worry about the plants becoming root bound? I'm not really looking to grow monsters, I'd be happy to get 2-4 zips per pot.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Sup everyone, always liked this thread and it has lots of good info for any new comers/growers.
I was actually going to start a general Guerrilla Q&A in the OD section but didn't know if I should or how to start it.

Anyways.... in my neck of the woods it looks like its actually warming up and spring is slowly creeping in. Still some snow around but I did get out today to scout some places etc, and really got me in the growing mood lol.

One question I did have for anyone reading this is any thoughts on composting out in the bush? I have a bunch of filled and leftover 5-7 gallon growbags that have been outside for almost a year now. I also have some leftover soil that got spilled out on the ground which sparked the idea of composting it while its just sitting out there... anyone??

ion

hey rob, lets knock the cobwebs out round here........

compost....for re-use this season, later seasons or incorporate into the forest?

if you want to reuse this season you could make a pile, mix in ewc/compost(quality compost, which is easy for us to get anywhere in new england commercially....relatively of course), wet it thoroughly, not sopping, and cover with leaf litter thickly............i dont know if you'd need to "cook it" for a duration, unless you add more amendments

im on the path concerning organic soil culture so im no authority, but thats what i would do off the cuff w/o more research and more info on what yer looking for. recycling soil is huge in the organic soil threads....

on another note, whats the latest you take your plants in the fall?

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
No doubt Ion.
What I was asking essentially was a season-to-season basis, letting shit compost or do whatever from nov-april (ish). Not 100% on 'cooking' times myself.

Im at 42N and I fully plan/anticipate cutting by end of September, just cause of frost and crazy unpredictable weather. However, looking back at my notes; last year was 10/11 first harvest and 11/6 last harvest. The 11/6 date was post-frost and (according to my notes) snowed the day after LOL.

Year before (2011) harvest was 10/17, 2010 plants were still up 10/13, 2008 first plants came down 9/26 - remember it was crazy rainstorm while I harvested soaking wet buds, lost essentially nothing, last one came down around 10/12.

ion

interesting that you mention end-sept then end up looking at notes, and.......

i spread the harvest out on most of mine starting end sept, but the bulk went the same as you...minus the nov......last cut was oct 26....yet everyone around me will harvest before oct regardless of maturity.......if you have your grow dialed in shouldnt matter, eh?

but, then again i did get mold on all plants last year, some slight, some 10-25%...

there were lite frosts for me, 1/2 were as low as 26-28F.....but as long as you egt the dead gooey leaves off, they were fine.....EVERYONE had purple(12+strains) and right now the cure on all is good to go, taste.smoke/smell great

as far as your soil ideas, there's lots you can do with it, but as im an aspiring living soil student myself, cant quite narrow it down off the top of my skull, buts heres some leads;

-i would do any amendments in the fall....i'd do leaf mold, dried horsetail fern, comfrey leaves, others.....stuff that wont attract diggers and those components alone would do good stuff for the next season
-if you use dry ferts you can/pro'lly should incorporate in the fall...........compost in the fall, maybe at least a topdress then mulch of some kind(deciduous leaves? birch have great chem.constituents that may leach down
-if i can get away with kit, i cut the plant stem down low as poss then throw something on to hide, dress the area

if you dig around on the -Living organic soil from start through recycling- thread you'll find what you need, HOWEVER dont be daunted by the 500+ pages......the first 50+ you'll get what youi need...........The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

i was wondering, are you out there guerilla-style?

my bro the other day asked me what exactly that meant......i said "unless you can set the lawn chair down, drink some brewha and stare at it for a few hours without tweaking at every unfamiliar sound, wearing cover and scratching off ticks, its guerilla"

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
lol fuck man don't get me started on TICKS. Absolute worst little bastards, not to mention lyme disease.

But yeah, I feel like the past few years the fall has been pretty warm and not rainy. I've never had any real mold issues but also not growing huge plants. Def get pretty purple after a frost, pic from 2010.

thanks for the tips on soil, I have looked at most of those threads, the living organic threads are quite lengthy..

Yeah I'm out there in the woods, and swamps, no lawn chairs here :biglaugh:

Attachments

• P3241779 (Medium)
    P3241779 (Medium)
    118.2 KB · Views: 30

Ottoman

Color me gone
Veteran
Ha! I agree Dday391. Glad to see some other joining in. I am not outdoor guy by any means but fuck it lets put up a pic or two of my "gueriila grow" lol.

Glcok what strain is that beast?

Question for any outdoor guys, I got slugs on my ladies two are doing fine but the GG4 is starting to get brown stems but plant still looks good. Should I just pick off the slugs? anyway to prevent them altogether?

glockdoc

sup fellas thanks for the kind words. its ghost train haze x the white x mango haze. had about 1-2 months veg indoor before i put her out. ive ran a different seed indoors before and it didnt give me bud, just frosted stigmas everywhere. hoping not to get that pheno or anything like it with this lady.

Dday391

Nh finally decriminalized! Fucking epic man. In less than 5 years it will most likely be decriminalize federally with all these states getting so permissive/ legal. Let's keep going! Thankfully ma didn't totally ruin the overhaul of question 4 just made it a bit iffy on the whole local government controls it part, but fuck it as long as we can still home grow! Hope my od season finishes better than it started but we will see.. new Englanders need a good thread to congregate let's stay in here lol

Latest posts

Latest posts