What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia Standard, Outdoor grow!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Yes they are. I have to keep them low to the ground, so will grow them scrog style. I'd love to be able to just let them go, but come august the helicopters are out and come september, the thieves are out. I keep them up close by the house in the flower beds. Fingers crossed we should have plenty of mind beding weed come next december.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good morning gentlemen,

Last night we had an awesome storm. Thunder, lightning and hail, echoing and banging through the mountains!, I love it!. Mrs Del Monte is not quite so keen.

I went out to check the children first thing and other than lookig battered and covered in mud splashes, they seemed ok. Four hours later, they look just awesome!

I noticed a couple white fly flying off as i inspected them. I have a question, specifically for growers in Spain, but general input would be appreciated. What can i use to prevent white fly and other pests ni general. Later in the day we have to go out of the pueblo and drive to the big town; I'd really like to get a preventave treatment at the same time.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Montuno

...como el Son...
Holaaa...

I, apart from the b.t. for caterpillars, I only use neem (in oil or in flour).

Saludos a Sierra Nevada desde Sierra Morena.

Montuno

...como el Son...
About neem: if the oil is expensive to your (as like me), the powder or flour is much cheaper; A jar of between 400 gr costs about € 12, with which I have for the whole season (3 or 4 large plants), and I still have more than enough.
It can be used added to the substrate from the beginning, or later by irrigation and / or periodic spraying. Or both.
If you add it to the soil, it is also a natural fertilizer (7-3-1, I think, and humic and / or fulmic acids).
If you fumigate it, the coarser-grained flours (JBQ type) dilute very badly. I prefer the Trabe type, which is better diluted and has more azadirachtin.

Powdered neem takes longer to work than in oil, but its effect is longer lasting.

IMG_20210426_163613.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Ok, I thought today I'd give a little update; Especially as i've dug out a old digital camera that i'd forgotten we even had. My phone was a hand me down from my grandson and is not the best anymore and the camera was not good.
It is now 32 days sice germination and 17days since they went into the larger pots. in the last few days they have started to really get going.
The first shot is, obviuosly a group shot.
Starting at the top left and going clockwise. Two shots of plant 1, 2 of plant 2, etc.

Plant 1 is the one that went from cotyledons straight to five fingers. Plant 5 has purple stem and growing tip. Plant2 also has purple growing tip but not stem. " and 3 are, according to the" theory" boys.

Attachments

• photo2041467.jpg
    photo2041467.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2041469.jpg
    photo2041469.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2041470.jpg
    photo2041470.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 24
  • photo2041471.jpg
    photo2041471.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2041472.jpg
    photo2041472.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 26
  • photo2041473.jpg
    photo2041473.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo2041474.jpg
    photo2041474.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 24
  • photo2041476.jpg
    photo2041476.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 26
  • photo2041477.jpg
    photo2041477.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2041478.jpg
    photo2041478.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
  • photo2041482.jpg
    photo2041482.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2041496.jpg
    photo2041496.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
They look sturdy and happy.

I topped both of my New Caledonias. One is very tall already and the other stayed squatty. Both females, but I didn't know about this theory when I planted them a few weeks ago so it's not validated yet...

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good morning to all,

Two days ago i noticed that the plants were looking a little hungry and rather than give them any food, i decieded to pot them up and use a stronger compost. I was hoping to be able to sex them before they needed repotting, and then just plant the girls in the ready preparred ground, but no. No worries, but now i've got 6 large pots to conceal.

Attachments

• photo2043709.jpg
    photo2043709.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Close up on No1 and it looks like the first preflowers showing and its a girl!

None of the other plants are showing yet, but i expect them to in aother week or so

Attachments

• photo2043715.jpg
    photo2043715.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2043716.jpg
    photo2043716.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 22

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Check out No5!

Very purple stem, with a slight purple tinge to the new growth.

Attachments

• photo2043718.jpg
    photo2043718.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 30
  • photo2043721.jpg
    photo2043721.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 25

Montuno

...como el Son...
About what you were asking me on the other hand: to fumigate the neem flour, you can help dissolve it in water with natural potassium soap (the best) or in the absence of it, a few drops of dishwasher ...
Remember that you can also simply water with neem, taking the opportunity to shower the plants (now that its size allows it) in addition to the substrate...

In fact, I always use neem flour by watering.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thanks Montuno,

This morning I mixed 4g of the powered neem with a little water and then put in Mrs Del Monte's food processer. I whizzed it up for a minute and then diluted it to 1 litre and added a little dish soap, (I don't have any potassium soap, but will get some).
It sprayed without problem!, Thanks

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
S6000005 (2).JPG

Here they are in their new temporay home. The concrete blocks are there to keep the direct sun off of the plastic pots and hopefully stop the roots from frying.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	17855506
This morning I decieded that it was time to top all the plants, either above node 4 or 5, depending on individual plant growth and structure.

I have made cuttings with the tops and will root them on a 12/12 schedule.

I've also LST'd them all. I was supprised at how flexable the stems were; I was able to pull the fourth or fith node right over and tape/tie them to the side of the pots, They look a bit of a mess at the moment but should be looking fine by tomorrow morning.

I have a little sad news..... The baby Goldern Tiger has gone to the big grow room in the sky. One of the cats managed to knock over the pot and broke its little stem. Mrs Del Monte was very sad, as despite her not being a big toker like myself, Goldern Tiger is her all time favorite.
Thankfully, Ace Seeds have this morning dispatched replacement seed. While I was at it, I ordered a Zamaldelicia Fem as well. I had a bit of an issue with my order (my fault, not Ace's). Ace Seeds sorted promptly it and to my utter satisfaction!. Thank you Dubi and crew.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks Hombre del mont :) Glad you are pleased with our customer service, we do our best to reply as fast as possible and in the best possible way, and to provide solutions to every genuine problem. Wish Ms can enjoy a really good Golden Tiger next winter ;) Plants look good after the LST 'torture', now it's easier to make them tickles :D

Tangwena

Veteran
Really? So it's supposed to be the roundness that is the indicator? Actually might be the angle as I thought it was pretty round. I planted four that were similar so we will find out...

I use this method its not 100% it just increases your chances of a female IMO.
I just planted 8 seeds using this method so I will let you know how I went they should be showing sex soon.