What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia Standard, Outdoor grow!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hola from Sunny Southern Spain,

I thought I'd doccument my progress with New Caledonia.

I've been reading a little about sexing seeds and thought, why not give it a go. So, i've had a little look with my loupe and it looks like out of my 5 pack i have 2 boys and 4 girls! (Thanks Dubi and Co.). I have, as i've done all my life, germinated on wet tissue paper, but seperated the ?boys from the girls..Be interesting to see if it works.

So the seeds went in on 28/3/2021, shortly after 3pm (full moon). This morning 1?boy and 1?girl were showing their root tip and are now in plastic cups. I expext the other 4 seeds to split very soon.

They will be grown on in pots till i sex them properly and the girls, or at least one of them, will be grown in my garden along with a Super Malawi Haze, a Goldern Tiger and (hopefully) a female version of Zamaldelicia, (if the new stock is ready in time). The other spare Female NC's will get given to friends. Hopefully

I intend to grow my plants scrog style, as per last year and as i did indoor for 20+yrs. I'd love just to let them go but we have issues with helicopters and theives.

I'll update in due course

Hombre

Attachments

• photo2033563.jpg
    photo2033563.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 40
  • photo2033565.jpg
    photo2033565.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 36

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Hombre del mont :) Thanks a lot for choosing our genetics for this outdoor season and for supporting our New Caledonia release!
A pleasure to see more sativa lovers starting to grow this new line.

Zamaldelica fem will be back in stock in a weeks, most probably on time for May outdoor sowing.

So, do you separate the seeds based on a specific look ? Is there any research about it ?
Would love to read more, it may have statistical significance.

Have a great start of season!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Dubi, From what i've read, you examine the base of the seed under a powerfull magnifying glass. If the indentation is perfectly round then it's a girl!, if not pefectly round then it's a boy. I don't know of any real research, but some have said that it works; A lot of people say it's bollocks! I've never done it before, but there's no harm in at least trying. Four of my six seeds have perfect round indentations.

This is my fourth year of growing your amazing plants. Today I'm enjoying Panama Haze. My wife, who is rarely partakes, absolutly loves the Goldern Tiger and says it uplifts her and gives her foccus and energy. I think that in all my 30+yrs of growing, that it is one of the best weeds that i have ever had the pleasure to grow. But for shear power, then the super Malawi Haze beats it, for me. And when they're made into fermented cobs and eaten, then they become something else agaian!.

el mani

Veteran
Hi Dubi, From what i've read, you examine the base of the seed under a powerfull magnifying glass. If the indentation is perfectly round then it's a girl!, if not pefectly round then it's a boy.
Hola
​​​
so, if you take a femed seeds bag.... All of them have to be round.
:dance:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hola
​​​
so, if you take a femed seeds bag.... All of them have to be round.
:dance:

An intersting question. And one that shouldn't prove too difficult to answer. I have several fem seeds, so perhaps tomorrow i'll have a little look.

All six seeds germinated in less than 40hrs,

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks
nice to see others try the new caledonea. Good luck with these Hombre del Monte.

About the sexing of seeds there is a fresh thread about it. I have heard that also some times. Last in a video about a cbd grower.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
All of the seeds geminated within 40hrs and all six had their heads above ground within 48hrs of being planted.

It's less than two weeks since the germination began and all six look very happy and seem to be enjoying the sunshine. If you look closely you can see that the second set of leaves are starting to emerge...Exciting times ahead!.

I took a little look at the base of some fem seed...😞, only two of three seeds had round indentations, so i guess that blows that "theory". I'll still keep note of what i thought are, according to the "theory", females.

Attachments

• photo2036089.jpg
    photo2036089.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 40

el mani

Veteran
I took a little look at the base of some fem seed...😞, only two of three seeds had round indentations, so i guess that blows that "theory". I'll still keep note of what i thought are, according to the "theory", females.

:biggrin: i did same fist time i lisened it....

Tangwena

Veteran
Hombre del mont I took a little look at the base of some fem seed..
I dont know for sure that it works but I do this every grow with regular seeds and only rarely get a male 9 times out of 10 they are female.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Today I took a little look at the roots and was happy to see nice healthy white roots, just starting to coil around the base of the plastic cups.

This evening I transplanted them into fairly large (5ltr, I think) brand new clay pots. The pots were filled with a very special, highly secret super mix!. No they wern't, they were filled with a mix of 50% commercial potting compost, 25% homemade compost and 25% healthy top soil from the garden.

They've all been watered in with tap water that stood for a couple of days.

I've marked the pots with which i believe are boys and which are girls.

Attachments

• photo2037072.jpg
    photo2037072.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2037073.jpg
    photo2037073.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 44
  • Pre98bkxlbl
    Pre98bkxlbl
    74.9 KB · Views: 57

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Will be interesting to see if the theory holds up. I'm about to try it with some Erdpurt x Purple Satellite from last year.

Tangwena

Veteran
My monies on male I would prefer to see a much more rounded end but its not 100% mostly 90% reliable for me anyway.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Really? So it's supposed to be the roundness that is the indicator? Actually might be the angle as I thought it was pretty round. I planted four that were similar so we will find out...

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Should be female?

[/QU
At first glance it doesn't look fully round, but when i look again, i can see that the glare from the flash obscures the true shape. Of the six seeds that i germinated, four had completly round indentatiions and the other two were more oval and ragged. We should both know in a few short weeks.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Having a male is totally ok by me, it means free seeds. :) Wish you well on your babies...my two are both females.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
.my two are both females.

So that's a + for the "theory". Muy bien.

Thanks for the kind wishes and the same to you for your's.

I'm hoping to pass any males on to friends who don't smoke,
photo2040236.jpg
but are happy to grow a male for pollen.

So, the little guys have been in the pots for 12 day's now and seem to have got their feet down and are starting to grow.

Appologies for the poor camera work. The plant to the left of the shot went straight from a single blade staight to 5 blades. I've seen cotyledons go staight to 3 blades but not one to fve before.

Attachments

• photo2040237.jpg
    photo2040237.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2040238.jpg
    photo2040238.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Looking great man. I have one very stretchy pheno and one squatty compact girl. Will be interesting to see yours develop.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
As regards phenos, i have several. The plants are very small, but already i can see differences. One has a purple stem and growing tip.

I'm starting off Goldern Tiger, Super Malawi Haze and Panama (all fem) in 4 days at the next full moon. I've grown GT and SMH, before but never Panama. I'm also leaving one space in the garden for when the Zamadelicia fems come out.