What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nepal Jam

Luiggi

@Kalbhairav, I took some pictures today for updating but I would say It is maturing quite fast. By comparing it to other years ones (probably I am checking not so often) I would say It is going to be on date (after 8 weeks or so in flowering as advertised un ace's page) while other years had to wait for longer than expected.

@dubi , not really a guerrilla plant but outdoor's in soil. I love the flavour plants take when grown directly in the ground. This next pictures are from today and I think they are about Seven days from the previous. In previous years I would have harvest as in today's pictures but want to wait for the best moment to harvest it. Would you recomend checking the trichs for harvesting? Or is this beter to wait not that longer for this strains? Trichs seem to be getting cloudy but not so good at differenciating milky from transparent. None of them look amber.

It smells great and has been not so demanding in feeding. Worm casting and bat Guano is all It got.

IMG_20221003_170042.jpg
IMG_20221003_170048.jpg
IMG_20221003_170054_1.jpg
IMG_20221003_170055.jpg
IMG_20221003_170055_2.jpg
IMG_20221003_170105.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Luiggi

Based on the look of the pics, you will be fine harvesting today. You can also use a microscope and harvest at different stages of trichome ripeness, and after the curing learn yourself what ripeness moment do you prefer.

Luiggi

Hi @dubi!

I think I am going to try that. Will harvest half of them when I think they got ready (as I used to do by looking at their apearance) and the other half under trich theory. This way I Guess I could understand It beter the strain. I supposed you as breaders might know the best time to harvest every strain. Do you usually look for trichomes to get amber?

I supose each strain Will drop some pros and cons depending on harvest time.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Luiggi yes, i have my opinion on when it's the best time to harvest although others may have different!

I like to consider several variables when considering harvest time: health, reflowerings, feeding, trichomes, terpenes, trichomes, outdoors also weather report, etc .... it's not something mathematic, each grow you need to consider all this for each plant.

Luiggi

Hi @dubi , first of all thanks for being so quick at answering.

I find It a bit confusing what you say about what to consider for harvest time. Would you mind to share some details about It?
I mean:
health: I Guess It applies for mold, mites or some Kind of plague that is to corrupt the plants.

reflowerings: does It mean you look till there is not any reflowering anymore? I took some pictures of the Nepal where It seems to be reflowering, but not sure on how yo know It is the last one or there is still a process.

feeding: I believe It depends on the type of feeding in use so to avoid It being present in the flavour.

trichomes: the most cloudy amount, the better?

terpenes: I always tought It had to do with flavour but lately I have readen that It might modify the efect of the thc. Do you feel It by smelling or is this something you learn after drying? I mean, once you harvest you say, at this point in flowering is when the plant has a better taste, so for the next one I'll look for that week of flowering to harvest. Something like that? Last year I harvested all the three plants I grew in three different phases each. One of them was a críticas from advanced Seeds and take some at 7th week, some at about 9th and final at about 11th to 12th. Well the 7th is weaker than the 9th but It has a fresh flavour and they seem to be racyer than 11th which tastes more like diesel (which I don't like at all) and is more sleepy or stoney.

outdoors' weather report: I Guess It is closely related to plant's health. From my experience and after hearing from others experience, there should not be any problem with rain as far as the plant does not have Bugs or dry parts. I might be wrong.

I am trully interested in It since I find It is quite complex to harvest a plant in the right moment if you compare It to "basic" growers such as me who probably harvest by checking only one or a couple of those parameters.

By the way, I just came to update some pictures of the Nepal and to tell a couple of news.

On the one hand I have only harvested half of the plant and have left the other half yo harvest based on trichomes colour.

IMG_20221005_163150.jpg

Found picture was not so good, so took another one but Marín stalk had been already cut, so attached It to an stick but does not show a fair view of It.
IMG_20221005_163321.jpg

This is how buds were looking.
Here the main stalk.
IMG_20221005_163028.jpg

In addition some of the buds seem to be reflowering? or at least It keeps some White terse/thick hairs. Not sure on how to identify reflowering.
IMG_20221005_164404.jpg

IMG_20221005_163212.jpg
IMG_20221005_162949.jpg

And hete the plant as I left It. As might be seen, there is another bud similar to main stalk un size (Actually bigger) which belongs to a down side branch. Probably lst-ing It, did the trick.

IMG_20221005_164410.jpg

And here some branches once harvested. Forgot to take a Pic of the main stalk but Will take of the branch I left.
IMG_20221005_164845_1.jpg

IMG_20221005_164211.jpg

Last edited:

synthesis_314

Hello all. Here we have on the right a Nepal Jam about to flip to flower. To her left is an SFVOG and bottom left a Chem 91. The NJ has been amazingly stable and healthy. Perfect structure. I'll come back when shes well into her flower period. Thank you for your special work Dubi! In veg I have Kumaoni from Real Seed Co. They will be sexed and crossed with a Chem 91 female. Nepal vibes! This is special to me as my wifes best friend and her family all live in Kathmandu. I hope to visit someday.
20221012_062218.jpg

Luiggi

Hi all,

Back again just for a little update.

Finally I have finished harvesting the NepalJam. It was two days ago because of some buds looking not that good as before. Only few buds were kept till the end because of having to harvest after a non desired visit in the garden (some family friend came and I am not comfortable with him knowing and having watched the plants were there).

First I have to say is that no trichome got amber till harvest. Would say it lost some trichome heads but none got amber. Some probably were cloudy but I am very bad at diferenciating milky from transparent. Anyway buds got coated in resin.

I found that it smells less,as in the orient express, than it did smell when I did first batch harvest.

I will try to write an smoke report but I don't think I am capable of fulfilling all fields. I have already smoked about 8 joints but need longer to complete the smoke report.

Look : Full of resin. Some towers forming the bud. to be completed

Smell : To be completed

Taste:
I would say this is quite complicated to describe but for me it tastes like an specific beer I usually drink which is called Imparable. It is my favourite beer so I like NepalJam flavour. However I will not be able to describe the flavour, but will try to get back to this after some more joints. To be completed.

Smoke: Would say it is about the standard. It kicks quick and makes me quite a bit high as it I were smoking a commertial weed. Nevertheless high is not that dirty and so mind is kept more or less clear. For me who is not a really big smoker it does create a bit of anxiety when smoking more than half a joint.

Not ready to write the overall yet.

Will try to complete it after some more joints. And will add the images in a few minutes.

IMG_20221020_163004.jpg
IMG_20221019_161918.jpg
IMG_20221019_161858.jpg
IMG_20221015_113936.jpg

Last edited:

synthesis_314

Looks fantastic @Luiggi.

An update on the NJ I have in flower. Shes growing perfectly. Normal stretch nothing too crazy and she flowered very fast. I'm in week 3 of flower. Shes in a space with a Chem91 and SFVOG. The chem is stretching super high so Ive been working to control stretch on her by trimming some fans off the lowers every 2 days or so.

NJ has perfect structure. On target for a very nice flower period so far.

Shes growing in a gravity fed autopot system, 5 gallon DNC soil with an airdome in the base pumping oxygen to the roots area. I run plain water in the system with no additives. No PHing.

3 days before flip I deactivate the reservoir with an on/off valve and let the plants drink anything remaining in their trays and then dry back until they're ready for more water.

The night before they're ready I brew a worm casting tea with some green grow Nature's brix, Green aminos, worm castings and biochar.

They also got some transition nutrients mixed into the tea. He leaves in the bottom look perfectly green so I'm not going to give him anything except for water until I start to see them hungry.

So far so good. I'll look back with a stem rub smell report.

The Ace plants Ive grown have always been the among the healthiest in the tent. Amazing work @dubi.

signal-2022-10-29-09-56-39-956.jpg

synthesis_314

StrongTree

Just over 5 weeks thats amazing. I love the structure. Seeing yours makes me want to stop training my main stem down for a wider canopy and just watching the natural shape happen. How does she smell @StrongTree ? Also, can I ask what size pot shes in?

yes @synthesis_314 that is 7 gallon pot... yes the structure and fast ripening from this one is really nice....i like not taking main stem out if possible especially on the mother plant from seed....then if there are subsequent clone runs i can experiment with best practice for that plant based on the first run
i only took a few lowers as clones...and perhaps removed a few more lower branches that did not stretch.... a few uppers fan leaves that were shading came of too.... all the low branches stretched out to find the light and are producing well... great symmetry and node spacing.... great height for indoor... odors are great from this plant....it's got the nepjam "creamy" smell with a backround of grassy herbal...there is also a spice like component... an quick dried green sample revealed a sort of creamy cinnamon taste (sort of like a horchata drink) ....there are other smells that come to mind when smelling nepjam mainly nag champa and sandalwood....

synthesis_314

yes @synthesis_314 that is 7 gallon pot... yes the structure and fast ripening from this one is really nice....i like not taking main stem out if possible especially on the mother plant from seed....then if there are subsequent clone runs i can experiment with best practice for that plant based on the first run
i only took a few lowers as clones...and perhaps removed a few more lower branches that did not stretch.... a few uppers fan leaves that were shading came of too.... all the low branches stretched out to find the light and are producing well... great symmetry and node spacing.... great height for indoor... odors are great from this plant....it's got the nepjam "creamy" smell with a backround of grassy herbal...there is also a spice like component... an quick dried green sample revealed a sort of creamy cinnamon taste (sort of like a horchata drink) ....there are other smells that come to mind when smelling nepjam mainly nag champa and sandalwood....

Wonderful. Appreciate the thoughtful reply. Horchata ... that sounds fantastic.

Luiggi

Its really covered on trichomes! Did you take It to finish outdoors? Are you checking trichs? I did this year but seems I wasnt able to see any turning golden. Not un any of the genetics I got. (Nepal Jam (ACE), orient express (ace) and the White og (seedsman). Are you? Probably this is me who os not able to distingüish them.

StrongTree

Its really covered on trichomes! Did you take It to finish outdoors? Are you checking trichs? I did this year but seems I wasnt able to see any turning golden. Not un any of the genetics I got. (Nepal Jam (ACE), orient express (ace) and the White og (seedsman). Are you? Probably this is me who os not able to distingüish them.
this was indoor but spending some time in the window.....i use a magnifier to check them....i think around 30x

synthesis_314

Well hello there. I'm now very close to harvest with this beautiful Nepal Jam. She is an amazing plant. Perfectly manageable structure and height and just so healthy all the way from sprout to flowers.

Shes been grown in Detroit Nutrient Company soil, without an PHing or care to VPD. In veg I keep the RH between 55 and 60 and in flower 45 - 55. Temps as high as I can get them but being cold this time of year they vary from 84 in veg to about 74/76 days and down to 67 at night.

I fed her almost nothing, as DNC has most of what a plant will need. I feed worm casting compost teas every 2-3 weeks, with a full array of support for the soil microbiogy with attention to the soil food web, fungi, bacteria, etc. Big fan of Yah Whey, Rootwise, Photosynthesis plus, microbe +. At flip she got some gypsum and Greengro flower finisher, and last 5 weeks of flower she gets flower finisher with the tea applications maybe every 2-3 weeks.

I took a sample from the lowest parts of the plant about a week ago and woooooooweeeee hits like a train. Instant heart rate increase and thena really nice upbeat high.

She's very close if not there, although her trichomes have not gotten quite as cloudy as Im used to seeing at this point in the progression but she is certainly strong! Im seeing a mix of cloudy and clear with amber at the very tops closest to direct light.

I have 2 other plants dharing the space and I'm trying to time all three together and they are just slightly behind (SFV OG BX and Chem 91 BX).

I'll come back after shes cured for a report on effects, but so far its some of the best Ive tried in recent years. Amazing all around and checks all the boxes.

20221218_071405.jpg
20221218_071432.jpg
20221218_071449.jpg
20221218_071504.jpg

Attachments

• 20221218_071528.jpg
    20221218_071528.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • 20221218_071517.jpg
    20221218_071517.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • 20221218_071422.jpg
    20221218_071422.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

synthesis_314

Well shes chopped and dried for a week at about 58rh / 64f. I trimmed a couple days early In seeeing now as the jars are above 70rh so theyve been back in the drying tent for 2 days and were jarred this morning. I have the lids off in a normal room rh and temp and this should get them down to a desireable cure range under 65rh.

Screenshot_20221219-141620.png

signal-2022-12-22-09-37-18-919.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts