What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nepal-best time to go

theclearspot

If anyone has been to Nepal I would like to know the best time of year to go when you can see the plants in the wild etc....? May? June. I don't want to go later as it may be rainy there.

T

The Batman

..............................................................................................................................................................................

Dkgrower

Veteran
Late september and october is good, plants are rdy to rub and then monsoon is over so the sky is clear fore super views

theclearspot

cheers. im looking at January or possibly May, anyone know of any hill treking guides who would know the alternative sights so to speak?.....

rajen

cheers. im looking at January or possibly May, anyone know of any hill treking guides who would know the alternative sights so to speak?.....
no need for guides, except you plan an expedition, this shoulb be arranged from home.
There are many trek to go, i.e. langtang, yomsom (stop at tatopani and have some great charras and a bath in the hot spring).
You will find a wide variety of plants,
cultivated and wild. In oct.- nov. you'll likely fall over fresh charras, in jan, the best will be gone as it's sold completely in oct. There is no reason to keep some srash for torists who are late.
In april it's still nice and it's not as cloudy as after the mosoon.
But let me tell you it's still hard to find best quality.
If you're after the ultimate smoke, better go to kosala or the area around parvati, and try to score some melana crema.
You can go on really nice hikes and treks there too.
If it's for culture and nature, and you wan't to get to know the religion, go to nepal and stay at a tibetan camp. Many tibetans do commerce and you'll come across those treks frequently on every trek.
I did it in nepal on my own to score 5 kg of charras in tatopani. I resold it on my way to and in sri lanka. what I don't recommend to do nowadays.
So enjoy your trip ( my hint: go there in october, and then move for some relaxation to goa or kerala- you can score some shit there too, so no need to take the risk of getting caught on a check point. )
cheers and take it easy :)
rajen

T

The Batman

hello man, is kosala the region at the east of Agra in in uttar pradesh you talking about ?

rajen

As i can't edit I have to post new.
I don't want to offend nepal hash lovers :)
I stayed long in Nepal and tested from low to high quality. But melana cream was the best, asides from the kerala ganjy which was ev.en stronger than anything I had and have tasted until today. And that was long ago.
But I' planning a motorcycle trip to himchal right now in september :) :) :)

Daanis

Hey guys,

I haven't think about this earlier, but now I realized that harvest is propably done when I get there.. I'm arriving to Nepal after three weeks, so at least there should be something good to taste... :joint:

I just hope it's not that cold there during the winter time..

theclearspot

Rajen, thats great info. Unfortunately I cant go in Oct/Nov..it has to be January or May/June/July/.
Whats the best time to go to see the fields with plants etc(i want to do some photography) and also se the hand rolled charas?

T

The Batman

kosala and parvati valley and the melana area are in himchal pradesh, north west india, the far end :)

thanks rajen but i don't find any kosala place in the area of malana, parvati valley, i only found information about kosala beeing an ancient indian region, corresponding roughly in area with the region of awadh in present day uttar pradesh. have you been outhere ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosala

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/India_Awadh_locator_map.svg

sincerely

bat

rajen

Hey guys,

I haven't think about this earlier, but now I realized that harvest is propably done when I get there.. I'm arriving to Nepal after three weeks, so at least there should be something good to taste... :joint:

I just hope it's not that cold there during the winter time..
hi,
you will have cold nights from september on, depending on the altitude.
The winter is really cold, even in the valleys, and smoky...the houses don't have
chimneys, ghosts could flyin :)
so it's: you're freezing or you're cughing from smoke :)

there will definitely be som charas, as there is always some. but if you want to go charas trekking you'd better be there i n october to get the fresh one and to have the choice.
I wouldn't recommend Nepal in winter. everyone who can moves to the lower parts, such as terrai, hardly one tourist is found in winter.
But if you like it really rough, and like the experience, there's hardly a better way to get to know the people, you will stay on small space with them in the mountains.

rajen

I'm sorry it's mispelled, it's ment to be Kosall, a little village full of israelis and on the way to the melana area in himchal pradesh.

T

The Batman

...............................................................................................................................................................................

T

The Batman

okay ! thanks for the correction man, do you know if there a lot of israelis in himachal pradesh ?
sincerely

bat

ps the site bugs a little...

rajen

okay ! thanks for the correction man, do you know if there a lot of israelis in himachal pradesh ?
sincerely

bat

ps the site bugs a little...

right it bugs here too.
especially in kosal there are lots of israelies even the menues are in hebrew.
it used to be the italian colony for three or more decades, they all moved away, and are pissed.
for the israelies it's paradise:)
you can meet some while travelling from and to kosal, but they seem to be glued there, in dehli (kashmiri gate tourist camp) i bet you meet some there too.
they are doing business with the melana tribe, so you will meet them up there too.

T

The Batman

mmm interesting, its good to know that...im not big friend with israelies...
thanks man
take care
sincerely

bat