What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanda Devi

meizzwang

wow, that is looking wild, based on the looks, I would be surprised if the high sucks. I bought some Nanda Devi the other day as well, who knows how long will these strains remain pure...Thanks for sharing and looking forward for smoke report

I think there's already contamination going on in this area. I've grown 3 different accessions from RSC. The second two (more recent offerings) looked "pure" but the first accession acquired many years ago looked like the plants had been contaminated with modern genetics:
37901978094_94da6b23a9_c.jpg

38191950066_42ef3ba8de_c.jpg

37901926014_114cd73908_c.jpg

38246784561_f084f973d2_c.jpg

26846954879_6dd74f9719_c.jpg

Pédetoddy

I bought a pack of nanda devi and would like to know how it grows in tropical latitudes (19°). My fear is that they finish too early and become dwarfed because of the low number of hours of light.

Lebanizer

I bought a pack of nanda devi and would like to know how it grows in tropical latitudes (19°). My fear is that they finish too early and become dwarfed because of the low number of hours of light.
I can't really answer your question as I've never grown it at tropical latitudes but I wouldn't worry too much about it being "dwarved" (how tall would be a dwarf plant to you btw ?). In vegg alone it gets quite tall and in bloom it has the craziest of stretch and just keeps growing with booming vigor. There's also the possibility that it never finishes, who knows...

If you choose to pop those seeds, it would be a very interesting grow to document that's for sure.

herblux

Highly doubt they will be dwarfed, as long as you plant them in suitable soil with enough water. They are quite vigorous. They'll likely be a bit shorter, but they grow tall by nature and are "only" from about 10° further from the equator. You should be good. At 50°N I had to cut them back twice, grown from clone, as they where getting too tall and visible :D

acespicoli

Wasn't really sure what to do with these. What I'm learning about Nepalese sativas is that in some cases, the bud themselves give you weak to moderate effects. Some taste decent, while others are very grassy and not worth smoking. But that same exact plant, when extracted and converted into rosin, can be overly powerful if you consume too much at once!

With Nanda Devi, I literally fear rosin because if you smoke too much in one rip, it can get you excessively high, probably due to the "no ceiling" effect.

This feral Nanda Devi is very resinous, so I'll try some of the buds and see how that goes. If it doesn't taste great or have much of an effect, then it'll all be turned into hash, which will then be converted to rosin. For that reason, minimal manicuring was done on these buds.

Nanda Devi, Harvested 11/27/20 when grown outdoors in the pacific Northwest. This was from seeds that were produced by crossing 2 different RSC nanda devi accessions:
50658227467_824d536b5f_c.jpg

50658224432_4f185f1927_c.jpg

50658134141_e16861720c_c.jpg

50658236572_49e0fd163d_c.jpg

:spank:by nanda devi resin :ROFLMAO:
I love reading -"With Nanda Devi, I literally fear rosin because if you smoke too much in one rip, it can get you excessively high, probably due to the "no ceiling" effect."
You done anything with her lately ?

44:86N

Nanda Devis.jpg

Nanda Devi was one of the strains I chose to grow for the 2022 season. This is truly a beautiful and special plant to grow. I have just finished harvesting my three females, so I haven’t even tried her yet, but just growing her was a real treat. Graceful and elegant for her entire growth cycle, I could have simply basked in her presence for hours. If you are interested in trying something different and distinctive, Nada Devi has all that for you.

Nanda Devi 1 and 2 Late Oct.jpg

That said, she is not without her challenges.

By the time I became aware of TRSC/Kwik Seeds, they had already sold out of these seeds, and it seemed so had all the other seed banks. I found these being offered as TRSC seeds on the Cannapot website. I purchased 12, and they we generous with some extras, giving me a total of 16. These seeds were some of the most challenging seeds to germinate that I have come across. I tried for a solid 10 weeks, and only had 4 plants sprout.

I initially tried germinating them with my standard method, planting in soil and then keeping them moist, but this resulted in nothing after 10 days. I’ve done some reluctant annuals (Datura) and perennials (Asclepias), and found that allowing the soil to completely dry out, sit for a few days, then water and repeat, works pretty good. All of the seedlings that sprouted for me appeared ON THE DRY DOWN. I also moved them outside for the early season temperatures. Someone down in this thread mentioned the idea that these seeds resist sprouting when overly wet as a means of avoiding late season germination during the monsoon season. I left the other 12 seeds in the soil tray, let them dry all the way down, and put them in the refrigerator late June. I will try them again in 2023. This year, seed sowing began mid-April and ended late June.

Two plants germinated in May, the first turned out to be a gorgeous female with lots of anthocyanoses present the entire time. The sun turned the stems a very dark purple. The other was a lanky male who eventually had stems that were strangely incredibly sticky. I’ve seen trichomes on male leaves before, but this sticky stem characteristic was a new one on me.

The Bushy female, during vegetative growth:
Nanda Devi 1 Vegatative.jpg

The other two showed up in June, and I was a little concerned by their lateness – they did take longer to flower than the first female, but they grew incredibly fast and tall outpacing the first female, who was putting some effort into getting very full and bushy. The two fast ones took on a narrow upright profile, which was super cool to see. They were both predominately green, with some reddish/purple striping in the stems.

The other issue with Nada Devi, at least in the higher latitudes, is the daylength and its’ effect on the flower response. This is also well discussed down thread, but I will confirm the lateness of flower initiation and maturation. TRSC states a late August to mid-September harvest window, but on the 45th, it is absolutely a November harvest. I will say this is one of the hardiest strains I have grown, and she took everything this autumn threw at her in terms of inclement weather and cold temperatures. Rainfall also was not at all an issue, nor was high humidity, heavy morning dews, or frosts. This fall was a little unusual, as there still has not be a hard or long freeze this season yet (on the way today, with lake effect snow in the forecast) – sub-freezing dips were all at sunrise. And too, this plant’s flower bracts continued to grow under what I would consider marginal conditions.

The stem structure on this strain is amazing and robust. The wind was absolutely not really an issue. After one major low-pressure system cranked through in mid-October, there was a little bit of stem breakage on the lowest branches, but everything up high was fine. I wonder if this is an adaptation for dropping seed late season. I did use the single male’s pollen to make some seeds, but this plant is kind of mean in this regard. They mature quickly and then fall out. I am hoping to have some “feral” plants show up in the grow zone next year. That would be cool.

A multi-day, late October warm spell accelerated the flower development, especially in the bushy female. I kept a close eye on development and the weather. Another low-pressure system was forecasted, with the possibility of heavy rain and colder temperatures the first weekend in November, and I decided it was time to at least take the bushy plant on November 4th. She finished out at a solid 8’ tall (close to 2.5 meters) and probably almost as wide. The flowers were nicely developed, they could have gone a little longer, but look to be in the harvest window. They are beautiful flowers.

Nanda Devi 1 Burning Bush.jpg

Nanda Devi 1 Fall Glory.jpg

Nanda Devi 1 Morning Sun.jpg

Nanda Devi 1 Late Oct.jpg

This last pic is Harvest Morning:
Nanda Devi 1 Harvest Time.jpg

Plant #3, the last to germinate, was also nicely developed, and, worrying about all the rain possibly knocking of the trichomes, I started to take the lower branches, which were long and sweeping. I took about 6 of them back up to the house, and when I compared the flowers to the bushy one, I could see #3 really needed more time. So, I decided to put her to the test and see how she stood up to some early November weather. The #2 and #3 plants got a short round of decent weather, but the season is over, and I took them late yesterday, November 11th.

Early flower development, #3:
Nanda Devi 2 Flower.jpg

Later in the cycle:
Nanda Devi 3 Mid Cycle Flowers.jpg

Ran out of file space, next page, please!

Last edited:

The flower structure on #3 is beautiful, and they took on a dark color, though not as deep as the bushy plant. Very full and classic look flower structures. This one has the strongest fragrance as well. Carrots with a spicy overtone. All three smell of carrots, as did the male. Plant #3 finished out just under 11’ or 3.25 meters.
Nanda Devi 3 Sun Ray.jpg

Plant #2 was the lankiest, wildest looking of the three. I called her “The Snake Plant.” Thinnest flower structure of the batch, but with very pretty pink striations on the calyx. A mix of green and purple on the stems. On frosty mornings I swear the flower tops on the long branches turned themselves into the rising sun. This one also finished out at close to 11’ and had a very narrow upright profile. A cool plant, for sure.

Nanda Devi 2 Late Oct.jpg

Now it’s curing time. I will be taking the nicest tops and jarring them up for some Ganja, probably to be ready next spring/early summer, from what I have read about properly curing this strain. The smaller buds will be put to the press, and I am really looking forward to trying to get some rosin from this strain, and will eventually follow up with some reports.

Freshly harvested flowers, #1:
Nanda Devi 1 Flower Top A.jpg

Nanda Devi 1 Flower Top B.jpg

A comparison of #1 and #3 (3 is a little too early):
Nanda Devi 1 and 2 Color Diff.jpg

Nada Devi is truly a wonderful strain to grow, and if the reports of long lasting psychoactivity are correct, she will be a wonderful strain to commune with! If you’re looking for something that will amaze you in unexpected ways, and give you some appreciation for the “wilder side of cannabis,” I would highly recommend Nada Devi. I sincerely hope her seeds become easily available again.

Nanda Devi Oct 22.jpg

Nanda Devi Twilight Sky.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check all this out & happy Growing!

aliceklar

Nada Devi is truly a wonderful strain to grow, and if the reports of long lasting psychoactivity are correct, she will be a wonderful strain to commune with! If you’re looking for something that will amaze you in unexpected ways, and give you some appreciation for the “wilder side of cannabis,” I would highly recommend Nada Devi. I sincerely hope her seeds become easily available again.

Thanks for taking the time to check all this out & happy Growing!
Great info - thank you for sharing. I've a 12 pack I've been saving for a rainy day and I will keep your comments about germination in mind.

Wow, just wow.
I really wonder what kind of offspring you will get from the sticky male 😀.
Down thread that characteristic is mentioned as well, so that may be a common phenotype. But all four of the plants I grew seemed like very nice representations of the gene pool. Hopefully, I can get the other 12 original seeds to germinate this next spring. Going to start about 6 weeks sooner, in early March. Wondering a bit about the effect of overall age on flower initiation/maturation. The first plant to germinate was the first to initiate flowering, and the first to basically finish. The male was the second to sprout, and he came in on the early side as well (of course, they almost all do). But, the two that sprouted in June really could have used another week of maturation time.

I am hoping to do some selfing as well. Spraying a 1/3rd strength silver nitrate on a nice cut of #1 now.

Forgot to mention, Nada Devi rooted very easily for me, and I have multiple cuts growing now. And I just stuck more cuts of #1 and #3, just in case!

herblux

@44:86N beautiful grow, thanks for sharing!

When did they start flowering for you, in case you know, please?
The Kumaoni (same area) and Rasoli (a little further north up the Himalaya and higher in altitude) started in September for me at 54°N. I just put them out as cuts for shits and giggles. They did kinda finish (very small flowers, but done) in early December there and survived several light frosts no worries.

Indoors many tend to throw nanners (or even balls) and are a bit hard to control in terms of height unfortunately.

I've got 50 or so seeds and am keen to pop some again at some point...probably indoors first though and then outdoors from cut.

As you seemed to like them, I'd recommend to try the Rasoli. Liked them a lot indoors. One of those was my favourite smoke of the Himalayan tests. Hint too late for my outdoors, but also very hardy and cold resistant. As per description they do share some malty notes, somewhat similar to the Nepalese (Rolpa) in that regard. The Rolpa unfortunately will definitely be too late for your latitude (even more so for mine), judging by my indoor run...
Kumaoni are worth growing too, although half of the phenos are throw aways...some are very nice lemony/piney and have a good NLDish type of high (not very potent of course).

Old Piney

Great post 44,86N the info on germination is appreciated . I just received my seeds from TRSC a few weeks ago . I ordered 12 but they sent me 25 ,I guess because of germination issues

Great post 44,86N the info on germination is appreciated . I just received my seeds from TRSC a few weeks ago . I ordered 12 but they sent me 25 ,I guess because of germination issues
Good luck with those! Looking forward to seeing how they turn out for you. Did you order these recently?

@44:86N beautiful grow, thanks for sharing!

When did they start flowering for you, in case you know, please?
The Kumaoni (same area) and Rasoli (a little further north up the Himalaya and higher in altitude) started in September for me at 54°N.

Indoors many tend to throw nanners (or even balls) and are a bit hard to control in terms of height unfortunately.

I've got 50 or so seeds and am keen to pop some again at some point...probably indoors first though and then outdoors from cut.

As you seemed to like them, I'd recommend to try the Rasoli. Liked them a lot indoors. One of those was my favourite smoke of the Himalayan tests. Hint too late for my outdoors, but also very hardy and cold resistant. As per description they do share some malty notes, somewhat similar to the Nepalese (Rolpa) in that regard. The Rolpa unfortunately will definitely be too late for your latitude (even more so for mine), judging by my indoor run...
Kumaoni are worth growing too, although half of the phenos are throw aways...some are very nice lemony/piney and have a good NLDish type of high (not very potent of course).
They started flowering early September, and did seem to develop quickly, though I was surprised by how long they took to mature. By mid-October, the sun is getting pretty far south.

Thanks for the suggestions on the other Nepalese strains! I have some Kumaoni seeds, as well as Dakshinkali, which I am really looking forward to trying out, though after growing Nanda Devi, I am a bit concerned about maturation time.