What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MyDx personal analyser

SpaceBros.

Yeah, me too. I knew it was a risk but, for the money, worth it.

Yeah that's what I thought it's no big deal for me to lose a few hundred $$. I'd still be interested to play around with one of these things and see what it actually does and compare it with my own TLC analysis I'll be doing shortly. So if it's junk to you feel free to PM me and I can send it back to you after I'm done.

SpaceBros.

Yeah it's long overdue for the CDx life team to come clean before the lawsuits start and/or a tough brand of street justice comes to get them. They even struggle to explain what it tests for or how it does it's testing in their own press releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXD_3Q5Vrk

Just came across this interview/demo, painful to watch. Although the dude is wearing a lab coat so it's probably legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXD_3Q5Vrk
[youtubeif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqXD_3Q5Vrk[/youtubeif]

Ninja'd you a few days ago.

My thoughts exactly. Like a slow-mo Trainwreck.
I've work in a lab before and can tell clearly this guy hasn't. Sure he may look the part but he sure as hell can't talk the talk.

Daub Marley

Yup. highly glorified random number generator. I'm sure if you put lawn clippings in this thing and entered Blue Dream into the app it would still come back with a number between 15 and 20%.

They raised a bunch of money recently so a long con seems to be the business model they are pursuing. Tons of press releases on the web but zero product reviews other than here.

For the money get a thin layer chromatography kit.

RB
Just because you dont understand it doesnt make it voodoo. Spectrum analysis is a standard analytical technique used in many industries to perform quick and accurate testing. Watch the video near the bottom and there is a different company that shows how they use light.
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_27616995/marijuana-quality-testing-going-mainstream

This is reeeeediculous on so many levels. don't you think if they could easily test things like, ohhh, food, water, and air in this revolutionary new way it would be bigger news? that kind of device might appeal to roughly 6 billion people for survival, not just trying to identify the terps in their recent dime bag pickup.
Pretty sure they are creating the software for that capabilities. I remember something about testing pesticides on your fruit.

If it worked on any level to provide anything of use, why wouldn't every lab in the country replace $100k machines with this thing?
Any lab that only needs to test for one or two compounds does use this. The problem is that as more chemicals are in the sample the more noise there is in it that the software has to filter out. Its like trying to hear a specific instrument with an entire symphony playing. With enough samples that they can collect data on and improvements in the algorithms eventually this technology could reach a point in where is makes other machines obsolete, but it is going to be a while.

SpaceBros.

Just because you dont understand it doesnt make it voodoo. Spectrum analysis is a standard analytical technique used in many industries to perform quick and accurate testing. Watch the video near the bottom and there is a different company that shows how they use light.
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_27616995/marijuana-quality-testing-going-mainstream

Pretty sure they are creating the software for that capabilities. I remember something about testing pesticides on your fruit.

Any lab that only needs to test for one or two compounds does use this. The problem is that as more chemicals are in the sample the more noise there is in it that the software has to filter out. Its like trying to hear a specific instrument with an entire symphony playing. With enough samples that they can collect data on and improvements in the algorithms eventually this technology could reach a point in where is makes other machines obsolete, but it is going to be a while.

They actually claim to be using electronic nose technology. Not spectrum analysis. The My Dx product clearly doesn't work if you've used one.

Rickys bong

Veteran
I'm guessing the sensor works on NIR (near infrared) wavelengths. NIR analyzers don't need much sample prep (no extraction necessary, no weighing), they are fast, and given a good enough database, are good enough to give the tolerances the manufacturer is trying to attain.[/SIZE][/FONT]

It's not spectroscopy. They claim "electronic nose" technology which means some semiconductor sensor variant (potentially).
Steep hill labs has an IR spectroscopy unit which is real and can actually produce verifiable results but they are only offering it on a lease basis.

Lots of semiconductor gas analysis technologies exist, but mydx doesn't give any hint what they are actually using.
The laughable engineering explanations are what makes this seem so scammy. I'm a pretty capable engineer but there is nothing to this to suggest any more than a random number generator. Zero independent tests and many users here have reported 15-20% THC results from analyzing air... (nothing in the test chamber)

At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought there might actually be some sensing technology in this thing sensing the terpene profile and using that to match to an analysis in their database. But from what users have reported back I doubt it's even got any basic analyzing tech inside.

It's now a publicly traded company as well so a lot of people are being sold shares in this turd.

SpaceBros.

Very good idea. I'd also like to see what happens if a test is done while deliberately using the wrong strain for setup in the app.
Secretguest got fairly consistent results.

If you tested a sample of bud and then tested the same sample but entered a high CBD strain and see what comes up.

This may just be sensing the presence of a few terpenes and comparing that to a database and making some projections of THC content.
Since it can't analyze THCA content it makes me thing it's just using a database and not really doing any quantatative analysis.

Will it work with your ipad or phone in airplane mode?

It can't analyze THC-A since when it vaporizes the sample THC-A becomes decarboxlyated to THC. GC's can't analyze THC-A either I guess they must use a database too huh ?

Also if it's not doing any quantitative analysis how is it measuring the terpenes in the first place to correlate against a strain database ?

I guess it's just a case of well if I can't understand how it works it must be all made up.

^^^
Hey RB,

Sorry for disagreeing with you earlier. You were clearly right and I clearly wrong.

This device is garbage! It won't even vaporize your weed properly to release the Cannabinoids and terpenes for analysis according to one user.

Please don't buy one and seek a refund if you already have.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Any updates? Has the towel been thrown in? Like others I was thinking it would be nice for personal breeding projects but not at 700 bucks and definitely if it's some snake oil.

SpaceBros.

The towel has not been thrown in yet but it's definitely snake oil in it's current incarnation. They're more about building a database on how strains make people feel and creating a Total Cannabinoid Profile (TCP) rather than actually quantifying cannabinoids in a sample. Be warned purchase at your own risk.

Nalizer

Got mine few months back. Did not test any cannabis, but tested few fruits and veggies in my fridge (apple skins, tomatoes, lemons, pear, etc.) all, except pumkin seeds showed level of THC 16-22% and traces CBN, CBD, a lot of terpens. Did a few blank experiments in between measurements (nothing in the chamber), which showed ZERO for everything. You can tell how accurate this is based on this results.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I wish I could have heard about this stuff months and months ago so I could have short sold their bunk ass stock. :laughing:

oldchuck

Veteran
They are still pushing this thing and it appears they are making money. I still have not read any objective reviews in any Cannabis related publication. I've started treating their emails like junk. Anybody else hear more?

sadpanda

They are still pushing this thing and it appears they are making money.
Well their investors aren't, lol ...
https://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS:MYDX&sa=X

What happens when you invest in a useless product:
mydxc9a0.jpg

Opened @ ~$2.10ish, peaked at ~$2.80 within a month, then allllll downhill, and today worth $0.03 :skiiing: (good time to buy in maybe? haha)

Investors aren't amused either :hotbounce here's just one sample:
a MyDx investor said:
This entire Company is about deception. Ask them how the technology works - they are deceptive, ask about corporate governance issues (convertibles anyone?) - more deception. There is only one Board member and he is CEO and CFO too. Bottom line - Yazbeck is a Bullshit Artist. He did not start MyDx and go public through a reverse merger so that you could all make money together. It has been and will always be about him and his ego and his money, which used to be your money, but you gave it to him because you kept believing his bullshit.

Last edited:

sadpanda

btw ... when this company folds (which seems inevitable) the device will immediately become, er, even more useless than it is now because it won't have a server to connect to to download the "cannabinoid & terpene data from buds we sampled that isn't your sample" -- it doesn't tell you anything about your actual sample. It'll become a 100% dust-collecting paperweight. And if you didn't return it within 30 days of purchase date you're screwed, no warranty help there :mad:

Rickys bong

Veteran
Truly scary that this steaming shitpile of a company has been allowed to continue pushing this nonsensical device.

I'm fascinated how long this has run though. Their technology is nonexistent, yet they keep promoting it. They claim to have patented tech when they don't even have a single patent application. Yazbeck (CEO) is listed as co-inventor on some devices related to filtration in 2014 but that's it.

Their media presentations are fucking brilliant though. Absolute vaporware backed by superb web presence, well designed website and presentations that make it sound as though it actually functions.

Their SEC filings are full of red flags too...

"We have no Independent Board Members and only one person sitting on the Board."

Their marketing presentations mention that they hold license to 30 patents. Their SEC filings contradict this. They have sweet fuck all for IP.

this gem from a recent presentation: "Company on track to achieve profitability and earnings growth in 2016"

yet their SEC filing has this tiny...tiny little contradiction:
"We reported negative cash flow from operations for the year ended December 31, 2015 and for the six months ended June 30, 2016. It is anticipated that we will continue to report negative operating cash flow in future periods, likely until one or more of our products generate sufficient revenue to cover our operating expenses."

and:
"Our cash balance of $190,369 will not be sufficient to fund our operations for at least the next 12 months"

Their sales are nothing, $11k for the filing quarter. So much for achieving profitability...

I laughed my ass off reading this latest corporate brochure:
http://content.equisolve.net/cdxlife/media/10778bb4ffcd49a2b9c8fc541e721278.pdf

The pictures of their "laboratory" show a couple of computer screens and a completely empty fume hood. Not a single piece of lab equipment.

And... eff me... every single bullet point on the "Why invest now" section of that brochure is absolute, utter bullshit.

Brilliant textbook example of how to market vaporware to the stock market for several years to keep a salary flowing however... Bernie Madoff would be impressed.
Good run so far Mr. Yazbeck you greasy scam artist you. Well done.