What's new

My Tropical Outdoor

Makes me want to move to the tropics. I am an outdoor grower at heart, being able to do it year round would be awesome!

Definitely watching this thread,

Peace

kamyo

Veteran
Another update

Another update

Checked on everything today. Everything is moving along well and several are showing female preflowers. I also fed everything via top dressing today. Used FF Happy Frog Tomato & Vegetable. Higher in N than PK, which should allow a good transition into flowering. Will probably top dress again in a couple/few weeks with flowering ferts.

Haze19/Skunk
Still looking good. Can't remember if any of these were showing preflowers. For some reason, I don't think they were. The indica girl is still progressing okay. Will probably be ready in a 6 weeks or so.

Sam's Mixed x Skunk/Haze
The two bigger plants look pretty similar. One is definitely female and one looks like it might be a male. Hoping it is a male. Good sativa influence, but nothing huge. Maybe closer to the original Skunk #1...75% or so.

The female

This one looks like it might be a boy

This one is also showing female preflowers.

Bagseed
still coming along well. At least one is showing preflowers

Jem
All the jems are starting to flower good. Two seem to slightly more stretchy/later in flowering development. They're showing pistils, but calyx formation is at least a week behind the others. The other three are pretty close in development, although the sizes vary a little. All 3 of those are showing hints of purple, some more than others.

Group shot. The two later ones are on the bottom right on this shot.

Tried to pollinate this one, but I don't know how much actually took.

This one will give me at least a few seeds. Need to do a bigger seed run next time. Better get some colloidal silver just in case.

kamyo

Veteran
Merry Christmas to me!

Merry Christmas to me!

Got my order today. Took 3 weeks from shipping, so I was starting to get worried. Seedbay came through as always. Got my Jamil Sayyida and 2 packs of Lebanese Sativa (Leb27). Also got Lemon's Mix and Chemdog x Menage a Trois as freebies. Can't wait to try those Danish purps. They're both early strains (said to flower at even 16/8), but they're well known for outdoor performance, so it'll be fun.

kamyo

Veteran
Checked on them this past Saturday. All are doing well with no signs of deficiency or pests. They seemed to respond well to the light top dressing. Nothing crazy, but I think it helped.

Mixed seeds x Skunk/Haze
These were the two larger ones. The female was confirmed earlier and the one I thought was a male turned out to be just that. Not super stretchy, but I love how close in growth they both are. Will make a good cross as far as stability (I hope). I took the male and put him in a separate pot with a bag over him. Will only use the pollen for this female.

This one is small, but starting to show preflowers. She might surprise me and stretch in the next couple weeks, but I doubt it.

This one originally had 2 in this pot, but one was a male, so I culled him. Not showing sex yet (that I remember). Should know by this week.

Haze19 x Skunk
I pulled the indica female (not Haze19/Sk) because I didn't really see it doing anything too good. Would've required more nutes than I want to feed the sativas, so I rolled a joint. It was alright...pretty fuely. The bigger one still isn't showing sex (none of them are, in fact). Fingers are crossed for a female that will continue to veg for a little while, although I'm expecting it to show sex soon.

Bagseed
The smaller one showed sex first and I'm pretty sure both are sexed now (both girls). I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure they're both sexed.

JEMs
Coming along nicely, but won't yield for shit. Even less, considering they're only getting about 6 hours of direct sunlight and they're autos that are used to having 20+ hours of direct sunlight for flowering. Still fun to grow and it will be my Christmas/New Years stash. I can see about 7 or so calyxes on two plants that are swollen with seed. Will let those go to term. The one unpollinated plant that is furthest along will be pulled soon for smoke. That leaves the two pollinated ones and two later plants that will probably go ino the 2nd week of January (~10 weeks total). These plants are with my peppers and tomatoes, and boy does it make that garden smell good. Fruity, funky smell. Can't wait to try it out.

This one will be pulled soon. Still early, I know. Going to give her another week or so. That'll be about 50 days.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey kaymo ,, good to see yoru still toiling away in the garden man ,
must be a nice dry time of year over there now huh??

kamyo

Veteran
You know it, Don. You can always tell dry season because it's hot as hell when you get in the car. I love it. Just got back from spending an hour at the spot this morning. Rained crazy this morning, but it beats having rain every day. Within this week, I need to start germing the Leb and get the soil and pots ready. I think I'll put at least 10 out there, probably in 1/2 gal grow bags and then into 1 gallon. Will probably also throw out some of that Chem x MAT while it's dry season. Try to get some stock out of those.. Heard nothing but good things about that one. Supposed to be some powerful shit.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You know it, Don. You can always tell dry season because it's hot as hell when you get in the car. I love it. Just got back from spending an hour at the spot this morning. Rained crazy this morning, but it beats having rain every day. Within this week, I need to start germing the Leb and get the soil and pots ready. I think I'll put at least 10 out there, probably in 1/2 gal grow bags and then into 1 gallon. Will probably also throw out some of that Chem x MAT while it's dry season. Try to get some stock out of those.. Heard nothing but good things about that one. Supposed to be some powerful shit.
ahh a bit of tail end from the rains hey ,
we are getting a real big build up to the monsoon , but in all not a lot of rain ,, well cept where the patch is and where i dont want it , lol ..

hope its a nice dry for you and your able to get some quality erbs out , with your location , the good healthy subjects should be as strong as they can get , weather permitting of course , hehe ..

kamyo

Veteran
This week's update

This week's update

Everything is looking good and progressing as it should. Pulled about 3 plants today. A couple were males and another plant was one of the Haze19/Skunk that was just too small. Wanted to give the bigger Haze19/Sk an entire pot to grow in.

Mixed seeds x Skunk/Haze

Plant 1. The male counterpart to this one was used for pollen today. Not a lot of pollen, but I don't want a ton of seeds. Even a few seeds would be fine. Looking forward to this one finishing. She's about 18 inches or so.

Plant 2. This one is only about 6-8 inches, and I'm pretty sure she has heavy skunk/kush(real kush, not cali kush) influence.

4 seedlings I started about a week or 2 ago. Hope these little babies will start growing well in their new homes.

Haze19/Skunk
Honestly, I'm worried that this might be a male. No preflowers are showing, but it's just something I'm sensing. If it turns out to be a girl, she'll be big. Was starting to throw out some branches, so I did my best supercropping attempt and pinched it a few inches from the top (not shown in photo).

Bagseed
Both are girls and I'm just letting them do their thing. Hoping for no herms, but we'll see what happens. So far, so good.

Been picking on the Jems here & there. Today, I noticed that one of the seeded girls had a little bud rot, so I went ahead and picked the seeded ones. That leaves two other unseeded girls that should be ready in a few weeks, provided they don't get mold. I like the high from it, although it's mainly for relaxing. Almost all in the body from the few samples I've taken. Great for laying down and watching tv, but not much thought provocation. Could also be that I haven't given them the right amount of time to mature, dry, and cure. The other two girls will be taken to term and given proper treatment.

Started 20 Leb sativa from Kryptonite and 6 of Reddy1's Chem x Menage a Trois. The Leb seeds are tiny, but I can't wait for those. Saving the Jamil Sayyida I have as a backup. The Chem x MAT will be perfect to grow this dry season. I'm sure I'll get some killer buds to give friends & family. Something to get everyone retarded for a while.

kamyo

Veteran
3 days later, and I got 6/6 germ rate for the Chem/MAT and 18/19 for the Leb (dropped one when I was putting them into the soil). Wasn't too sure how the Leb would do because I wasn't sure how old the stock was, but I have enough to definitely have some fun. After these go out to their pots, I've got something special lined up to go out next. A lot of preparation will be made with these next seeds. Measuring cups & shit.

kamyo

Veteran
Update

Update

The number of plants keeps getting smaller & smaller, but that stuff happens. Haze19Skunk finally showed sex (it's a girl). Looks a lot like the bigger bagseed sativa, but will probably go longer. The last of the 5 Mixed x Skunk/Haze is developing well. There was a smaller one, but it was taking up 3 gallons of soil and had some PM problems, so I killed her and used to soil for some grow bags.

Mixed x Skunk/Haze

She's looking lovely, but I hope I don't run into mold issues. Will be camping out during my birthday at the end of January, so I'll probably take her on the 20th. That'll be about 8 weeks for her. I'm guessing this one is a Skunk/Indica cross. Maybe HK/Sk or something.

The last 4 of these. The one on the top left looks like it'll be good. Hoping it's a girl because it's looking very sativa and I'd love to be able to transplant her into a 10 gallon grow bag if she lasts that long in veg.

Haze19/Skunk
I took the other two out of this pot last week. At least one was a male and I wanted to give her the entire pot to grow. Just started showing pistils when I checked her and she's sending out the branches. Will hit her with a good N top dressing tomorrow. Should last her until the first week or so of flowering. She's about 3-4 feet tall and will probably explode in growth in the next few weeks. Can't wait.

Bagseed
Both are looking good. Not expecting much because I have no idea what the genetics are, and I'm still not sure they won't herm on me. The smaller one is probably a week or 2 into flowering. The larger one has shown preflowers, but is still growing along nicely.

Will work on getting some of the Leb and Chem/MAT out there tomorrow. A LOTS of Leb seedlings to move, so maybe I'll start with the Chem/MAT. They don't look like they'll veg very long out here, so they'll probably go in 1/2 gal grow bags. Will likely be small 1/4oz plants of some killer smoke. After those all get situated, I'll probably regroup and start planning my next one. A lot of cleanup, bringing soil out, etc.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
looking better all the time kaymo ,
t he next few months should be real nice in your garden i reckin,
we had our first real heavy storm today ,
waterfalls everywhere ,
a nice time of year if your not trying to grow plants in flower , hehe..

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks, Don. Dry season has just about begun completely. We still get showers every few days, but nothing crazy. For the first time in months, the soil was a lot looser and dryer than it had been. Had me worried a little, but I'm sure the bottom half of the pots are nice and moist. I should setup at least a 5 gallon catchment system, but I'll see how much I'll need it. The weather channel app on my phone is a grower's dream. This week is scheduled to have a few showers, so the top dressing will get watered in. The Chem/MAT are out there and I lugged up about 7 gallons of (dry) Sunshine with some Happy Frog mixed in. Threw it all in a 10 gallon grow bag and I'll let the rain moisten it. 7 gallons of dry soil weighs about 10x less than wet soil, so I'll take dry soil every time.

kamyo

Veteran
Forgot a couple shots. Here's a shot of one of the newer Mixed x Skunk/Haze. This can't be more than 3.5 weeks old from germination and already flowering.

And a closeup of the Mixed X Skunk/Haze that's flowering nicely. She's about 18 inches tall with at least 12 inches of flowers. Can't wait to see her just pack on new growth and frost each week.

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks RJ. I've used colloidal silver before and it worked like a charm.It essentially reverses females by making them send out male pollen sacs. Male pollen from a female plant will result in the pollinated plant's seeds being pretty much 100% female. I don't currently use any because I'd rather work with regular seeds for creating more seed stock in the future. CS is good if you're able to get out there every day and spray your target plant (do NOT smoke from a plant that's been sprayed). Because this is outdoor, I can't get out there every day. If you're considering it and prefer to work with females, I would highly recommend it. If I ever run out of males and only have a couple females left, I'll use it as a last resort. A lot of people like to make theirs, but I picked up some 200ppm from amazon for pretty cheap.

kamyo

Veteran
Just got back from checking everything out today (no pics...yet)

Brought up 8 Leb seedlings to go next to my Chem/MAT. As expected, several of the Lebs have shown sex already, and I kept the males at the greenhouse. I try not to keep cannabis there, but small plants are okay.

The bagseed and Haze19/Skunk are both growing well and starting to branch out. Question for anyone reading this: how long can a sativa continue to veg after the preflowers have shown. There's no sign of actual flowering (no clusters of pistils or trich coverage), but just little pistils/preflowers on all the nodes. It would be awesome if they could continue to go another month in veg before they start putting on the weight. I know pics would help, so I'll get them up soon.

Also transplanted the Haze19/Skunk into the ground. She had pretty much filled up the 3 gallon bucket, but still had a little room to spare. Hoping this will help her really gain size before she starts full-on flowering. The Mixed x Skunk/Haze female is still going along pretty well. Putting on a little weight. Looks good to pull around the 20th.

I just realized I don't have any more pure sativas that will veg for a while and give me a good yield. Will probably check out Ace/CBG to see what I can pick up as a long-term stock.

kamyo

Veteran
Deer?

Deer?

Got back from the ranch today. Went up to the spot and noticed that the plant that was furthest along was completely gone. It was just a pot with soil, as if the plant just disappeared. The only animals we have out here are deer and pigs (and crabs, if that counts). The pigs can't reach the plants, but this one was close enough to the chicken wire for a deer to reach over and grab it.

My question is if a deer would grab the entire plant and uproot it or if that's something that has to be done by a human. In a few days, I'm going to go find a few more spots and keep everything more guerilla. It's hard to do guerilla with the pigs & stuff, but it looks like I'll have to.

All the other plants are perfectly fine and the Lebs are slowly showing sex. I'll do a seed run for those. Hopefully I can get 50-100 seeds out of a few small plants.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is coconut crabs. Apparently, they eat plants as well as coconuts. Might be a long shot, but we'll see. Still not taking any chances.

Edit edit: I'm starting to think (hope) that it was a coconut crab. I'm trying to research their feeding habits, but they're nicknamed "robber crabs" (according to Wikipedia), so I hope that's what happened. This has actually happened once before to my nephew. He had some plants I gave him and the two stinkier plants (Skunk 1 and Hindu Kush) straight up disappeared. No root system, nothing. These plants were on a large coral rock that no deer or pigs could have accessed. People definitely didn't know about it because we harvested a couple of nice sativas a couple months later. They say that coconut crabs have a keen sense of smell and use it for finding food. Anyone have experiences with this?

kamyo

Veteran
Started a bunch of stuff today and yesterday. Yesterday I started 5 of the Jems seeds I made. They were already at the F5 or something generation, so I guess it'll be F6 or whatever. Also started 5 of The Wizards of OZ Z99 "C" variety (testers, thanks Don...I owe you one). Within LESS THAN 24 HOURS, the two I checked had already popped. Didn't bother checking the others because with results like that, there's no reason. If that's any indication, we'll be in store for some healthy plants. Today, I started 5 of Lemon's Mix (freebies) and 5 Jamil Sayyida. The Jamil will stay in the greenhouse with the Jems and a few Lebs that I have in there. They'll all autoflower in my climate, so I can keep them in there without worrying about anything. Thinking about just letting the pollen fly and collecting seeds. Will probably have pictures in a few days. Still need to pick up some good sativas to keep a stock of. Been really looking into Crazy X's Colombian X (Colombian x OT1 Haze). Either that or an Ace or CBG variety. Laughing Tiger looks promising, but I'm not sure how the Malawi genetics will do for mold. The '85 Blue Mountain Jamaican on Seedboutique looks like something I should pick up before she's gone. Updates soon. Stay safe and grow on.

kamyo

Veteran
Update

Update

Checked on the girls today. Looks like I had a pig visit the spot and the Haze19/Skunk and bagseed sativa were both laying down. The Haze19 is fine, but the bagseed was uprooted. Also took care of the rest of my Chem/MAT I had (only 2. The others were male) and one or two Leb27. Currently still have 3 Leb27 girls going. Two are pregnant and the others is just starting to flower. All are less than 10 inches tall. That's an early sativa for you. Found the spot the pigs got through and closed it up. Also brought down 4 of Lemon's Mix and 5 Z99 to put in their final resting place. Both of these varieties seem very uniform, especially the Z99. Not sure how long they'll veg out here, but that's what the testing is for.

Haze19xSkunk
I used the chicken wire that was inside the border as a bit of a trellis to help keep her up and see if I can't get the branches to fill out. Standing straight up, she's about 4 feet tall. Once mature, she might give me a couple ounces. I also hit one of her branches with Leb27 pollen. Should show crazy variation in size, but almost all sativa.

Starting to frost up and stretch is slowing down. Doesn't look like there's much indica in her at all.

Group Shot
Z99 on the left, Leb27 in the middle (bigger ones) and Lemon's Mix on the right.

Z99 before the transplant.
They're about 2 weeks old, give or take. Looks like they'll be some hungry plants. Will probably work some ferts into the soil next week.

Latest posts

Latest posts