What's new

My story, my AK47 grow and my OD-plans!

Femora

Thats strange... I tried the link before and after I posted the previous post and it worked.

And now its crap. I dont get along with the picupload, thats for sure! :moon:

EDITED! PICTURE

If this wont work you can find the pic in my album.. 7-13 dec cutdown; IMG 1945

Femora

Heya!

The cuttlings that I took from the AF AK47 are... amazing.

I keep them in 18/6 under 200w LE and they have filled up the 1,5liter-bottle with roots.
Compare this to the last rootsystem that was about a thumb big when I took clones from the outdoor-grow(!)

2 of the plants ist just keep on flowering. Kind of booring... but the 3rd one have some strange shit going on. Its like she is re-flowering.. Maybe weren't that plant long enough into flower when I took the cut to keep on flowering and went back to some veg/expand root-mode.

Here is some pics!

3 of them, sorry for the poor quality.

Root closeup.

Lefty

Middle

And here is the one that is a bit funky. Ideas about whats going on!?

Funky one!

Another pic!

Im thinking about going 24/0 to see if its a semi-af (early flowering).
What do u think!?

Thanks Norden~, and Thank You! :biggrin:

ps, I edited the picture bout the strange leafs 2 posts up. I have no idea why the link broke (again).. sorry lads! Please take a look!

rangergord

Outdoor autos at 56 N in zone 2 boreal Canada

Outdoor autos at 56 N in zone 2 boreal Canada

Hope you dont mind a few pics of outdoor autos in your thread!

Attachments

• 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 3620.JPG
    3620.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 3626.JPG
    3626.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3634.JPG
    3634.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 3636.JPG
    3636.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 17

rangergord

The above are all grown from seed completely outdoors in subarctic climate. They are growing scrog style under chicken wire to keep them all down low so they are not easily seen. The white fabric is spun bonded polyester floating crop cover. It provides great security and a beautiful micro climate. I have found that it keeps the plants growing for much longer than without the cover. The plants get much bigger than without the cover or indoors. The fabric should be removed once the buds are fully formed to ripen more quickly and prevent any mold from setting in. I plant seed outdoors the first week of June and harvest by the end of August-mid September. I have 4 autoflowering strains growing here. Lowryder, Lowryder2 , Lowryder2xStuporsonic and Lowryder x celestial temple sativa.
As to your plans for the outdoors I just wanted to suggest NOT growing autoflower seedlings indoors as transplants for 3 weeks before putting them outdoors. My experience with autoflowers indoors is that most flower by 3-4 weeks and if you transplant then further growth is stunted and not what it could be. Outdoors my autoflowers take 6 weeks to flower and grow much larger as a result. I think it has to do with more room outdoors for unrestricted root growth and lower temperatures than indoors. So bottom line is I think starting autos indoors for outside is not the best procedure.

rangergord

Heya!

The cuttlings that I took from the AF AK47 are... amazing.

I keep them in 18/6 under 200w LE and they have filled up the 1,5liter-bottle with roots.
Compare this to the last rootsystem that was about a thumb big when I took clones from the outdoor-grow(!)

2 of the plants ist just keep on flowering. Kind of booring... but the 3rd one have some strange shit going on. Its like she is re-flowering.. Maybe weren't that plant long enough into flower when I took the cut to keep on flowering and went back to some veg/expand root-mode.

Here is some pics!

3 of them, sorry for the poor quality.

Root closeup.

Lefty

Middle

And here is the one that is a bit funky. Ideas about whats going on!?

Funky one!

Another pic!

Im thinking about going 24/0 to see if its a semi-af (early flowering).
What do u think!?

Thanks Norden~, and Thank You! :biggrin:

ps, I edited the picture bout the strange leafs 2 posts up. I have no idea why the link broke (again).. sorry lads! Please take a look!

Sounds like you have a semi auto rather than true autoflower. Otherwise you would not be able to clone. Clarke in Marjuana Botany refers to these strains as near photo determinate. They flower in 15-18 hours of light. If this is the AK47xlowryder cross it probably just needs to be cross bred a couple more times to become an auto.

Semi-autos will flower very quickly outdoors if you grow them at 24/0 up till June 21 and then put them outdoors. If you have a semi auto rather than full auto every thing I said about transplanting is moot!

Femora

Sounds like you have a semi auto rather than true autoflower. Otherwise you would not be able to clone. Clarke in Marjuana Botany refers to these strains as near photo determinate. They flower in 15-18 hours of light. If this is the AK47xlowryder cross it probably just needs to be cross bred a couple more times to become an auto.

Semi-autos will flower very quickly outdoors if you grow them at 24/0 up till June 21 and then put them outdoors. If you have a semi auto rather than full auto every thing I said about transplanting is moot!

Heya!
Nice pictures and thanks for your input!

The thing with the auto-cuttlings is that 2 are continueing flower while the 3rd looks like... the flowertime "resetted" and she started from 0 again.

Well, they are under 24/7 now, lets find out if there is a non AF pheno in there! :)
Sadly I didnt really think when I left the growroom last time, so I didnt adjust the lamp. It resulted that the top of the interesting juvenile got burnt in the top. :tumbleweed:
I topped her just cus I could. Didnt really know what to do. And I didn't wanna leave her burned in the top.

Pic!

I dunno where you live, but im at Lat 60+ and I have to get the ladies chopped down preferably last aug. If mother nature is with me they might survive until 3rd week of sept. After that its for sure some frost-nights comming up. On top of that there are hunters running in the woods hunting moose from beginning sept (= 2500% more risk for my garden to be found)
Sumup; I have to aim to harvest first week of sept, latest.

I did a little calculation and found out that 22/2 would work if its a 7week flowertime. But then again the climate may be just pure shit and they will need like 9 weeks due to cold.. = fail! :/

Btw, this "flowertime".. Is that from the imagined "12/12" switch, or the time from when they form prebuds?

And; whats the "spun bonded polyester floating crop cover"?
You really cover up your plants UNDER it?
Do you keep some airflow under it, or is it just the flowthrou the material that will circulate the air?

rangergord

Hey femora, that is an interesting pic of the burned clone. It does look like it is attempting to veg. My experience with autoflowers is they need a good veg period before flowering in order to yield well. I am in northern canada and struggle with short season and frost or snow possible every month of the year. The cloth is used by farmers and gardeners to protect against frost, hail, wind, and insects. It lets the air through so it never gets too hot in the sun like a peice of plastic would. It is a bit like growing in a greenhouse. I have grown autoflowers under it and uncovered and covering with the cloth gives astounding results. It is reasonably priced and can be reused a number of times before it breaks apart. The plants are able to resist drought much better. Much less watering is required. Here is a link with more info.

http://gardening.about.com/od/toolschool/qt/Row-Covers.htm

Google to find a more local source.

Femora

Hey femora, that is an interesting pic of the burned clone. It does look like it is attempting to veg. My experience with autoflowers is they need a good veg period before flowering in order to yield well. I am in northern canada and struggle with short season and frost or snow possible every month of the year. The cloth is used by farmers and gardeners to protect against frost, hail, wind, and insects. It lets the air through so it never gets too hot in the sun like a peice of plastic would. It is a bit like growing in a greenhouse. I have grown autoflowers under it and uncovered and covering with the cloth gives astounding results. It is reasonably priced and can be reused a number of times before it breaks apart. The plants are able to resist drought much better. Much less watering is required. Here is a link with more info.

http://gardening.about.com/od/toolschool/qt/Row-Covers.htm

Google to find a more local source.

Thanks alot for that great tip! :tiphat: I sure try it out this summer!
And I know exactly where to get that fiber-blanket-thingy! :whee:

So, you train your plants under that chicken-wire, and then just put the blanket back on?
Do this method need daily care?
Ill just have 1 day per week to attend to the farm and (sometimes a weekend). I recon a 6-day stretch under that might be a problem.

I figure I could use it first weeks anyway, on top of the "cage" if thats a problem.
Should do some greenhouse-effect I guess.

rangergord

Good to hear Femora! I will explain a bit more about what I do and why. You will I am sure be able to adapt to what will work for you. I plant my seeds in either a row or a bed. I plant seeds about 15cm apart. If your blanket is less than 2m wide, a row is better than a bed. I have wider cloth so I now use a bed 1.2m wide. When the seeds are planted for the first couple weeks I make sure the bed is always moist. It will stay moist longer when covered than uncovered but water at this stage is critical. After that watering less often will be less of a problem. The micro climate under the cloth mean better germination, faster growth (you can see the growth difference in 1 day between plants that are covered and uncovered. That is how much of a difference the fabric can make. It makes my autoflowers grow leaves and stalks for six weeks before it flowers. Once flowering I pull the males and then I have some spots in the row or bed that are empty and open. So this is one reason why I use chicken wire. At this time I put the wire over top and pin the plants down towards the ground and into the empty spaces left by the male plants. You do not need to use chicken wire but I like the way it fills my beds and rows in completely and allows sunlight to get to more buds on the lower parts of the plant. It is also more secure because the plants are very short and can stay under the fabric until the buds are fully developed. I recommend leaving the fabric on until the buds have swollen. Then I take it off when the plant is fully grown. It ripens the resin glands more quickly and there is more UV light hitting the tricomes so it makes the potency stronger than if you leave the cover on to the end. Also if you leave the cover on during the last 2-3 weeks of flowering you increase the chances of mold setting in. When I take the cover off earlier there is no mold. So leave the cover on when the plants are growing and take it off when the buds are ripening. That is the best advice I can give you. I think you will find it well worthwhile to try it.

rangergord

We are about 4 degrees different in latitude but we have similar length of seasons. We have last frost at the end of first week of June and first frost varies from August 30 to a maximum of Sept 21. I harvest Aug 30-Sept 15. Most semi auto or near photo determinate strains will just barely finish in time here if I start them indoors on 24 hours of light. Autoflowers are reliable outdoors at these latitudes. Other early varieties are NOT. I am pretty sure that if I lived at 60 N, I would be able to get similar results outdoors with my methods.

The lowryder x celestial temple sativa that I grew above is my own autoflowering variety that I spent a few years making. First step was I crossed female lowryder with a male celestial temple sativa.

LR x CTS =F1 generation Nice hybrid for indoors but nonautoflowering

(LRxCTS) x (LR x CTS)=F2 generation 25% autoflowering

Now breed only the autoflowering plants.
(LR x CTS auto) x (LR x CTS auto)= F3 50% autoflowering

(LR xCTS auto) x (LR x CTS auto) = F4 100% autoflowering

And that is how I created my own autoflowering hybrid.

Really anyone can do this. Most so called breeders are merely pollen chuckers making numerous F1 hybrids of dubious quality.

rangergord

We are about 4 degrees different in latitude but we have similar length of seasons. We have last frost at the end of first week of June and first frost varies from August 30 to a maximum of Sept 21. I harvest Aug 30-Sept 15. Most semi auto or near photo determinate strains will just barely finish in time here if I start them indoors on 24 hours of light. Autoflowers are reliable outdoors at these latitudes. Other early varieties are NOT. I am pretty sure that if I lived at 60 N, I would be able to get similar results outdoors with my methods.

The lowryder x celestial temple sativa that I grew above is my own autoflowering variety that I spent a few years making. First step was I crossed female lowryder with a male celestial temple sativa.

LR x CTS =F1 generation Nice hybrid for indoors but nonautoflowering

(LRxCTS) x (LR x CTS)=F2 generation 25% autoflowering

Now breed only the autoflowering plants.
(LR x CTS auto) x (LR x CTS auto)= F3 50% autoflowering

(LR xCTS auto) x (LR x CTS auto) = F4 100% autoflowering

And that is how I created my own autoflowering hybrid.

Really anyone can do this. Most so called breeders are merely pollen chuckers making numerous F1 hybrids of dubious quality.

Femora

So, you dont think Ill have problems with mold even if I leave them 6 days un-attended?
And what about rain? Will water pour throu the cloth, or will the plants only get the rinoff at the sides?

I figure I will have hell of a garden to attend to this summer, and spend alot of time on a breeding-program and find males that suit my needs.
Best would be a 23/1-strain that I could train indoors from march and plant in june :biggrin:
But that might be dreaming concidering how much time I can spend on the grow.. :/

Im into these;
Purple maroc (Doubtful..)
Iranian Auto
Auto Afghani X Mighty Might F3 (I hope to find semiautos among them, and start from there. The auto affie has some interesting genes..)
Brickland (doubt these will make it if they are "just" early flowering. Its hell of a difference from 55 to 61 N in the lighthours)
Wolf Island Sativa (F1) (Same as brickland..)
I cant recall a few other I was thinking about..

and ill be doing some dinafem;s, Dutch Passion and ofc the strain I hope most for; Auto Viking AK47
this AK47x is the strain that send me in to gardening... I tried last summer and kind of failed.
Then I did a indoor grow with 5 of them under a 600w hps and got about 300gr high quality weed.
Now I have my first scrog up and in there is 2 DP-strains going on.
I figure I should use this growroom to make seeds next winter, so I have a AF-strain of my own to next summer.

gah! Im dreaming away! :ying:

btw, how long is the pollen good for? I read about 6 months. Is this correct?

rangergord

You will not have mold as long as the plants are actively growing or the buds are still developing. Once the buds are mature and it is time for ripening mold can set in so remove the cover at that time and you will be fine. It also says to your plants "thats enough of the nice little greenhouse now it is time to wrap it up because winter is almost here."
The pistils will turn brown and the trichomes will turn cloudy and even slightly amber much more quickly when suddenly exposed to the wind and sun.
With visits every 6 days watering will likely be your biggest issue unless you have a repeat of last summer. I went through a summer like that two years ago. Very little sun and more rain than you can imagine with flooding of the century. Still managed to harvest enough from 3 square metres of bed to last me the whole year. I think if every thing goes well during seed germination and initial establishment you will be fine. The first 4-6 weeks are most critical with autoflowers. The great thing about the blanket is that rain goes right through it into the soil. You do not even have to remove it to hand water although it may be a good idea anyways. If you dont remove it, it may be hard to see weeds that need to be removed, maybe slugs etc, males that should be removed and so on. They say the best fertilizer is the gardeners footsteps and so plants thrive with attention. It will likely be a bit of a challenge on a 6 day schedule but with diligence I think it can be done.

rangergord

Hmmm...those are some interesting seeds you have Femora. I would think there would be promise in the iranian auto, autoafghani x mitymite. The Brickland and wolf island sativa might work better if you grow them indoors on 24 hour light. Then place outdoors June 22 or so. Most early strains will flower almost immediately in this way. This method of transplanting is more likely to succeed. Cloning the early strains would be the very best. As far as pollen goes I have frozen some for a couple of months but have never pushed to see how long. Best to use as soon as possible I guess.