What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My personal 'Double-Secret Probation" TINCTURE Recipe

DarkGreen

I saw the same recipe using 95% alcohol which is either lab/food grade ethyl alcohol or Everclear. Cannabis Culture magazine mentioned that a group of people prefer the 190 proof (95%) to the 151 proof (75%). The greater the alcohol content, the more THC and other cannabinoids get absorbed.

Another way to filter the alcohol is with the use of a syringe filter and 60ml syringes. You would draw up the liquid in the 60ml syringe, then put on the 45 micron or 22 micron disk filter, and then push the plunger down letting the liquid squirt into a clean glass container. The watman filters work like magic in getting all the particles out.

Another way of absorbing the tincture is by sublingual. Place a few drops under the tongue with a dropper. It will burn a little at first, but it will go numb from the alcohol. Or you could put this mixture into a spray bottle as well. Doing it this way will absorb faster. Anyways, alcohol is absorbed via the muscous membranes of the mouth, throat, and stomach, so it doesn't need to get into the intestines to get absorbtion. Plus as the alcohol get absorbed through the mucous membranes, it takes whatever is attached to it (cannabinoids) along in. Also, I am sure you can do like Motley Crue while on a road trip/drug binge and shoot the alcohol in your veins via IV, but why have to go that crazy?

DarkGreen

everclear or lab grade ethanol?

everclear or lab grade ethanol?

As far as the US is concerned, where is one able to purchase 95% alcohol content spirits? I have read that it is illegal in Washington, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, California, Florida, Michigan, Virginia, and West Virginia (as of Nov 2005). So I am assuming that you can purchase Everclear or any other pure grain alcohol spirit in any other 42 states in the US as well as in Canada, Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands? Is this correct? Anyone?

Can anyone purchase 95%-100% lab or food grade alcohol from a laboratory supply company without any hassle? Are there any lab supply companies out there that sell USP grade 95%+ ethyl alcohol or ethanol? I found this site here, but I am unsure if one can purchase it?

http://www.spectrumchemical.com/retail/ethyl-alcohol.asp?gclid=CPGKvpD31IgCFQVvHgodQQjyZQ

I am sure that this would be the purest form that is possible for the cannabinoid tincture.

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
question.. does the tincture actually have to boil? i put it in a jar then into one of those electric wok type things with water... and it heated up for like 45 minutes.. but never boiled... i know it got really really hot but never saw any bubbles in the mixure. its the boiling point of alchohol lower/higher than water? its been sitting un touched for a week now, im thinking it might be a good idea to try and boil it again. but im not sure if this will hurt or help? should i just leave it be? ps i strained all the plant matter out of it as well and have had it drying, is this stuff ok to smoke? i mean.. i know i wont get high but it might taste kinda good. it smells like rum, and i would assume it tastes like a flavored cigar maybe???

endo

Last edited:

Sin Humo

I made it the other night - I could only get some Wray & Nephew overproof rum at 63% proof but I'm presuming that it'll be OK, can't wait to give it a try!

I boiled it off a bit using the microwave on short bursts. To do this you need to be a bit carefull - remove the bowl containing your alcohol mixture between bursts and give the microwave compartment a good blow out to clear any fumes. I've done this loads of times before with iso-propyl without blowing anything up - just let it boil for about 5 seconds at at time - very effective but be careful.

I made this as the directions say, except to the boiling part. The glassware I used was incredibly thick, i was going 45 minutes and the alchohol still wasnt boiling. Finally I gave up and poured the mixture directly into the hot pot. I put it on a relatively low setting, then turned it up a bit every 2 minutes, when it boils in the hotpot it boils violently and spills, also i didnt want to overheat the mixture. I did this for about 10 mins, then consumed immediately, and put the rest in the bottle to do its 2 week sit. Initial consumption was decent, not as potent as cannabutter, simply OK. It was like an extended buzz for 4-5 hours. Im waiting for the stuff to settle, then Ill give it another try, but Im guessing its not gonna get more potent, so maybe ill just use more liquor next time i try it

Punani JAck

Quigo > Thanks for the great recipe!

Just a simple question from me. I am actually ready to start my tincture, but I am uncertain of one thing...

Did you use 9 grams of dry or wet buds?

I had heard a recipe that called for an 1/8th so I was gonna use 30 grams of fresh bud, cuz that should roughly equal 1/8th when dry...

If you use 9 grams of wet, then thats only like 1 gram dry... I cant imagine that making a very strong tincture...

Punani JAck

OK well I couldnt wait for a response. lol

I ended up stuffing as much ground up fresh herb as possible into a 750ml bottle of 75.5% everclear. All I could fit was 23 grams. So that equals about 2.5 grams dry maybe...

Im gona let it sit for 24 hours then do the boiling tomorrow.

Dan42nepa

I made some of this yesterday.. It has been sitting overnight and I am going to start the heating process in a little while. I think I used too much bud. The buds I have are very strong and I used like a 1/2 oz... we will see.. i broke the end of the bottle off trying to get rid of the fireproof spout. I figure the straining process will remove any glass... i hope so at least.

Punani JAck

well I did not get noticably high from my tincture...

Maybe I did not use enough weed OR maybe I needed to boil it longer...

Il try another shot in 2 weeks or so.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yeah, keep in mind that the boiling not only concentrates it, but also activates the THC. So, too low and you may not be getting the full effect.

Punani JAck

well 15 minutes passed from the time the mixture started to boil... Towards the end is was in a raging boil...

If it doesnt get me high after 2 weeks should I try reboiling?

Maybe 23g of fresh herb is too little?

Dan42nepa

I ended up boiling probably more than 3 oz's off mine. The liquid level is at the top of the label. Maybe thats more than 3 oz-s. I used a camping stove outside on my picnic table, boiled water in a pot and put the jar inside. The liquid is still dark green? I made this yesterday? I strained it once thru a coffee filter.. I was thinking of maybe straining again thru silk screen but will wait a few days..

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Well Jack, I think he was using dried bud, and 23g of fresh bud only equals about 4g dried, so you're probably working at half potency there.

And Dan, the liquid being dark green is perfect. It'll clear more the longer you let it sit was his advice.

Dan42nepa

DId you see my other thread about the cherries? I was thinking of soaking a jar full of cherries in your tincture... not sure how potent they would be or storage problems... or consistant dosage etc...

Dan42nepa

Well, in some backwoods pennsylvania bars they sell large jars with maraschino cherries soaked in alcohol. The jar sits on the bar and isnt refrigerated so not sure it would be necessary. I think they usually use high proof vodka but cant remember.. Its just a thought.. i need to try your tincture as is first..lol