What's new

My OrganicLove, Humanure Trial Grow

Stoned Crow

The 3 on the left are pure Humanure compost, the 3 on the right are my divine soil mix, and the one in the middle (Rhonda) is 50/50 soil mix/humanure.

I'm glad you cleared that up, I was looking for the ones with the Charlie Brown stink lines emanating from them.

Just kidding CE, I love the fact that you do it this way. Without a doubt, it's my favorite thread on IC right now. Keep informing the masses.......SC

:bow::whip::whip:

IandI

Awesome project Canna!

I thought the only reason to shy away from humanure was the threat of inserting yourself right back into the pathogen life cycle. Obviously if you eat well (haha and you do) the poo is gonna be nice and rich for the girlies, like it would be coming out of most any animal. Our social conditioning (with good reason!) is the only thing that stops most of us from considering keeping and using our own bodily waste.

I am definitely no parisitologist (far from it) but I doubt that a mammalian parasite could infect the plant, and EVEN if it did, I think it would be killed during your dry and cure phase - no water film or fluid for it to survive in. EVEN if it somehow did survive the dry and cure, then the parasite would be engulfed in flames before it even reaches you. I guess the worst case scenario is if you make edibles, but then again the product does go through an oven most of the time. And this is all a worst case scenario - there are lots of accounts online of people using humanure for veges and stuff. And eating them without a worry in the world.

I'm curious to know how long did you compost in the anaerobic pile for? Turned it much?

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I'm curious to know how long did you compost in the anaerobic pile for? Turned it much?

I'm guessing it was composted for about 3 months, though I don't really count my days. Days can seem like months... months like days. Yaknowsay'n?

We turned it every couple days on average.

Thanks for the love everybody! Your support is greatly inspiring, and much appreciated.

Kubarkid

there are lots of accounts online of people using humanure for veges and stuff. And eating them without a worry in the world.

Yeah, a lot of "undeveloped" countries spray liquid human waste on the crops that are exported into Canada, UK, US, etc, especially melon crops.

Big up CannaEx, a really interesting thread. It just seems strange you chose to do it under lights. One would think that if someone was going so natural using humanure, they would use the natural rays of the sun. It just seems like a better fit to me...

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Big up CannaEx, a really interesting thread. It just seems strange you chose to do it under lights. One would think that if someone was going so natural using humanure, they would use the natural rays of the sun. It just seems like a better fit to me...
Thanks for the support! You do make an interesting point, I guess I just haven't looked very much for an outdoor spot. I have some adventuring to do.

UPDATE!

Guess whos light just went off a few hours ago? That's right, the girls are witnessing darkness for the first time. They have been switched to an 11/13 lighting cycle. And the finishing touches are being put on their cabin (Thanks Mom!).

I would post a pic but the girls are sleeping. I can't WAIT to see some flowers!

Good vibes in-n-out!

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
This completely made my day. Thank you for doing this Grow Log. Wow....Just Wow.

Huh huh he said... log.

Pretty cool idea, but you do need to be careful, E.Coli is a very tough bacteria, and while I wouldn't worry about your plants being vectors for disease, you need to be careful when handling the night soil, make sure to wash your hands well. E.Coli will have you spewing from both ends if some gets into the upper part of your digestive tract.

This is so freaking disgusting,I dont care what you eat bro your growing in your own shit thats just not healthy no matter how you spin it or what you say.Composted or not its still shit from your ass not meant for human consumption in any way shape or form.I would seriously be pissed off if I smoked this and afterwards you said it was human shit grown,we would come to blows.There are so many things wrong with this in so many ways.There is the real possibility that you could get sick and die from puffing this human shit ganja,wouldnt that make a hillarious headline"Man shits himself to death from smoking shit grown in his own shit".

Stoned Crow

This is so freaking disgusting,I dont care what you eat bro your growing in your own shit thats just not healthy no matter how you spin it or what you say.Composted or not its still shit from your ass not meant for human consumption in any way shape or form.I would seriously be pissed off if I smoked this and afterwards you said it was human shit grown,we would come to blows.There are so many things wrong with this in so many ways.There is the real possibility that you could get sick and die from puffing this human shit ganja,wouldnt that make a hillarious headline"Man shits himself to death from smoking shit grown in his own shit".

DST707 - If you had any idea how much shit you come into contact with on a daily basis, you'd shit yourself....:flowers2:........SC

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
unless you're vegan and in excellent health, i'm not sure that this is such a good idea. from what i've read humanure can harbor a lot of pathogens and has the potential of passing those on to the smoker.

it's not the same as chicken shit/ guano/ cow manure.

gotta admit i have no personal experience with this tho, so i guess i'm interested in how this develops. good luck!

Last edited:

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
picture.php

I had them out of the cab for a few days while we were tweaking the cab, just look at their loving reception to being back under the High Prana Sodium!

As you can see, we've been busy tying down them branches. In order to bring out an amazing canopy of flowers in a small space, one must be an LST Magician.

The variation of structure and personality amongst these plants is exciting to me. Check out EllieMental (back left corner). She breathes elegance.

ixnay007

Veteran
unless you're vegan and in excellent health, i'm not sure that this is such a good idea. from what i've read humanure can harbor a lot of pathogens and has the potential of passing those on to the smoker.

it's not the same as chicken shit/ guano/ cow manure.

gotta admit i have no personal experience with this tho, so i guess i'm interested in how this develops. good luck!

You're wrong.

Cows have a very similar strain of e.coli in their intestinal tracts, in fact, most of the e.coli outbreaks in recent years come from the use of fresh cow manure as a fertilizer in things like lettuce.

ixnay007

Veteran

You're also wrong.

E.coli does not pass through plants, it's not taken up, and is not in any way systemic. People who get sick from night soil pick up the infections because the humanure is not composted completely (it's often applied fresh) and the parts of the plants which are consumed fresh (not cooked or dried) come into direct contact with the infected soil. His only risk is possible contamination from direct contact with the soil, meaning under his fingernails when he's repotting, or similar contact.

Thanks for sharing your ignorance tho.

MrFista

Veteran
The trick is composting correctly with all manures. Humanure is just a manure, and diet plays a big part, but also look at the diets of our animals: antibiotics, steroids, hormones... Canna exists might have a better diet than your hamburger you eat got, and the source of composted manure you buy in bags.

Most crops used with humanure trials in the west are crops where the harvested portion is above ground. Plants like lettuce and spinach are easy vectors for pathogens merely from rain splahing on the ground with manures present so it stands to reason not to grow low crops with effluent until a suitable withholding period has passed to ensure decomposition. Some problems like eczema that cattle get from effluent are directly related to drugs hormones etc that disrupt the life cycles of effluent and pathogen reducing organisms in the composting process. So the effluent is not broken down properly within the withholding period, pathogens are present in numbers that cause problems, the cattle put their face in it while grazing, and manure is blamed for all of it by fert salespersons posing as independant researchers.

Tree crops are a nice safe way for westerners to recycle poo. Enrich the soil in your orchard with composted product and pick the fruits of your 'labors' metres from the source. There's probably plenty of research out there on humanure if you looked for it. Permaculture people use it and there's plenty of real professors amongst them.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
The trick is composting correctly with all manures. Humanure is just a manure, and diet plays a big part, but also look at the diets of our animals: antibiotics, steroids, hormones... Canna exists might have a better diet than your hamburger you eat got, and the source of composted manure you buy in bags.

Most crops used with humanure trials in the west are crops where the harvested portion is above ground. Plants like lettuce and spinach are easy vectors for pathogens merely from rain splahing on the ground with manures present so it stands to reason not to grow low crops with effluent until a suitable withholding period has passed to ensure decomposition. Some problems like eczema that cattle get from effluent are directly related to drugs hormones etc that disrupt the life cycles of effluent and pathogen reducing organisms in the composting process. So the effluent is not broken down properly within the withholding period, pathogens are present in numbers that cause problems, the cattle put their face in it while grazing, and manure is blamed for all of it by fert salespersons posing as independant researchers.

Tree crops are a nice safe way for westerners to recycle poo. Enrich the soil in your orchard with composted product and pick the fruits of your 'labors' metres from the source. There's probably plenty of research out there on humanure if you looked for it. Permaculture people use it and there's plenty of real professors amongst them.

very good points. especially the tree crops vs ground crops. i have been educated.

You're wrong.

Cows have a very similar strain of e.coli in their intestinal tracts, in fact, most of the e.coli outbreaks in recent years come from the use of fresh cow manure as a fertilizer in things like lettuce.

noted. i wrote in my "reason for edit" box in the post you are responding to: "i don't know shit (lol)" and i will repeat it. i was purely speculating. i apologize for contributing my ignorance to the discussion :comfort:

Im not ignorant ixnay007,I know "most" pathogens are destroyed and almost all the harmful bacteria have been cooked out but there still exists the small chance that harmful bacteria can still be in the medium and unless you have personal experience growing in human shit then how can you be so sure?Didnt a whole lot of people just recently get very sick from some spinach grown by "professional" farmers?CannaExists has already stated he does not know how long the humanure was composted,that does not seem like a very exact science to me,but Im the one who is ignorant?Come on man your growing in human shit how much longer are you going to continue to do that inside your home?So you let the shit and piss sit in the bucket for a couple of months and some how it comes out magicaly clean?Give me a break, thats just nasty.

MrFista

Veteran
Dirty South - if you care to read my post it explains exactly why the spinach debacle started, it was also encouraged by fertiliser industry reps (sorry, independant researchers) to try and rubbish organics. Monsantos dirty tricks once again surprise surprise.

The spinach e-coli was a herd of pigs that broke into a neighbours garden and then rain vectored their shit onto some spinach which was not processed correctly. Then the newspapers got hold of it (Robert Murdochs monopoly) who used this to help the business interests of their largest advertisers (more fuckwad monopolies).

If you're gonna believe everything you read I suggest moving away from corporate fantasy material such as is generated in mainstream media.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
The cab has been finished, all sealed off (the put-a-paper-over-the-intake-and-see-if-it-sticks test PASSED!)

More stellar news! The girls have been enchantingly labeled, each one represented by a color of the rainbow. Their destinies have been accelerated into exciting directions.

picture.php

Here's a better look at the labels for you curious fellows. It's the most stunning display ever.

picture.php

ixnay007

Veteran
Im not ignorant ixnay007,I know "most" pathogens are destroyed and almost all the harmful bacteria have been cooked out but there still exists the small chance that harmful bacteria can still be in the medium and unless you have personal experience growing in human shit then how can you be so sure?Didnt a whole lot of people just recently get very sick from some spinach grown by "professional" farmers?CannaExists has already stated he does not know how long the humanure was composted,that does not seem like a very exact science to me,but Im the one who is ignorant?Come on man your growing in human shit how much longer are you going to continue to do that inside your home?So you let the shit and piss sit in the bucket for a couple of months and some how it comes out magicaly clean?Give me a break, thats just nasty.

Well, if you're not ignorant, can you explain how a person could get sick from a pathogen whose only infection vector is direct contact with parts of plants which are ingested without cooking, or drying?

How is he gonna get sick from parts of plants which are fully dried, then burnt?

As for your second point, yes, it does come out magically clean, that's what the bacteria do. The bacteria live in the shit as long as two factors exist, first that there is abundant food for them, and second that the conditions are conducive to their life, humidity, temps, etc. These bacteria (we have many of the same bacteria that all warm blooded animals have, e.coli being one of the better known ones) do their job, then die, and are consumed by other bacteria, or nematodes, and so on. The whole magical circle of life. This whole forum is a wealth of information on this cycle, do some reading, then ask yourself why human manure is magically different from cow manure, or chicken manure, or manure from any other animal?

BTW, I use urine on my plants.. don't have the space to do proper compost, so I don't have direct experience with this style of cultivation, but it's not rocket science.