What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My little Urbstead (urban homestead)

captain planet

Veteran
Well I decided to experiment with grafting multip varieties onto my gala myself...... Prob next year, I don't want to stress her out this year.*
Kale update- lost a few seedlings, prob weren't hardened off enough yet, *and we had a rough week temp/weather wise

captain planet

Veteran
Ahhh actually have some tiny apples on my tree now woohoo! ( might cut them off to focus on root growth this year) The maters that got transplanted in the beginning of last week made it thru what should be the last of any random cold spells! ( tarped them bitched to be sure!) thinning carrots kale and rainbow chard ... The purple carrots are already ... Little purple carrots!..... The wifey mismatched our jalepeno, and bell pepper starts during an upotting.... Hmmm

captain planet

Veteran
Alright Unc your lighting a fire under me, clearing the cam, making sure I have new batteries, I'm gonna try to snap pics of everything aftter work today, but then I have to make a trip to the mother in laws for the damn cord to upload, but shouldn't be long now! :)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
apple trees do really well in certain parts of the state here,some of the very finest i have ever had,so crisp you could twist them in half,if i was another 1000 feet up i could have an apple tree,here nectarines and pomegranates do really well,and pecan and pistachios.

you were smart and caged your tomatoes early,mine are getting rambunctious now!

captain planet

Veteran
They were flopping in the windowsill two weeks ago, they def needed Early caging. Already seeing flower buds on them!
I'll get better with the pics.... I'll just learn by watching my fishy uncle :)

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mine have been getting serious wind training this spring,if they stood up to 30+ mph winds for weeks they can hold some fruit now...lots of flowers on mine for sure,taking over the bed,im gonna need some big stakes i think....

B

BugJar

have tons of brassica's brussels sprouts, kholrabi, romanesco broccoli, and graffiti purple cauliflower, tons of snow peas, our brandyboy tomatoes are already 4 feet tall easy.
wallawalla onion and lots of garlic, purple fingerlings, tons of kale and other greens, ginger, gooseberries, blueberries, golden raspberries, pino noir grapes, strawbs. BEETS, massive perennial herb garden and my daughter even started a flower garden.

she has also started taking care of the roses!!!!!!

this is going to be a great year

captain planet

Veteran
Gonna go pickup a few things this weekend , think a ladybug house, some sort of azatrol/azomax and a few other things. I'm gonna try to get some better pics, and upload the others that I didn't get to. After getting it all setup, I only had time for a couple rounds of uploading

captain planet

Veteran
picture.php

Test

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hows about them apples. Honey Crisp is my favorite. Have one of those planted as well as esplair trees with fugi/gala grafts.

Got sick of watching the weeds grow so incorporated vegetables and fruits years ago. Not to much of a challenge growing a weed is there?

captain planet

Veteran
Hell yeah Bio! Grow food not grass ... (well unless hippy grass) I'm totally surprised I got pollinated in my area. I still have room for a home depot multigraft tho. Fuji for sure and poss cortland which is similar to and overlaps with gala, and prob a granny graft or yellow delicious

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Got ahold of a Braeburn apple as well. An old timer said it was best. Have to see. Perhaps he was reffering to performance not taste. Sweet 16 was my favorite apple. more recently the honey crisp.