What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My intro and bona fides...

Weyenot

I ventured out on a few threads and made posts when I found something I liked. In all cases I was ignored. So I assumed this forum is bunch of little cliques. So I don't do much posting here. Maybe I already said I'm over on Grass City and LivingOrganicSoil with active journals. I'm just plain Pakalolo over in those forums. Both those forums are much nicer to new posters. So I spend more time there.

If you check out MOD you'll discover that it has some fine shoots of some nice genetics. Introduce yourself with a post.

Who doesn't like 'The Dude'. Even Jeff Bridges likes 'The Dude'. I think is a more realistic stoner character than Jeff Spicoli. Anyway the movie is one of my favorites.

This summer I will be working on my accumulator plants like comfrey. I've got nettles and dandelions growing wild around my property. I'm going to be planting herbs too. I got the seeds from Horizon Herbs. So I'll be using more of those in my nutrient teas. I don't do much foliar spraying to provide nutrients. My spraying are all for IPM. I do use the nutrient teas to feed the micro herd.

I am checking out Freedom 35 journal. I've gotten through the first harvest but that was a couple of years back.

I normally post pictures on the weekend. I probably will post some pictures of my babies during this week. I've got the Noctural but also 2 Mazar x Geurrero, a Goblin Queen and a Cascadian Frost. Not much to see but I'll get a picture of two up.

I'm taking down the Pitbull with the PM issue when I get home today. It has the fattest bud and I only have kept her around to do more learning on controlling PM. I don't want to lose the buds so down she comes.

I might get some bud shots in the next couple of days of Mildred and Trainwreck 2. They are starting to get to the stage I enjoy. I like babies and final stage buds. The in between are just my LITFA mode. It's not very exciting for me. Seen it, done it for almost 40 years. I guess I'm just jaded.

gl

Its true, it does seem a bit cliqueish around here, although I will say there have been some exceptions like you; I just subbed to LOS and the other as well, thanks for the suggestions, Im stoked to check them out!!
I checked out MOD on my lunch break today and ive read about 10 pages so far, its sweet!! So many beautiful girls:) They seem friendly and I did make a post letting them know ive got alot of respect for them; we'll see where it goes from there! Looks like theyve got alot of the same ladies you do; I had never heard of GQ and Noct so its nice to get to see more of them. Also looks like youre running some swami genes, thats awesome; Ill be watching how those turn out for sure!!

I spent a bit more time than I planned online today so now Ive got to play catchup; I need to get the trellises done for my beds because the ladies in them are growing like weeds, hahaha:)

Ill catch you later!

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
gl

Its true, it does seem a bit cliqueish around here, although I will say there have been some exceptions like you; I just subbed to LOS and the other as well, thanks for the suggestions, Im stoked to check them out!!
I checked out MOD on my lunch break today and ive read about 10 pages so far, its sweet!! So many beautiful girls:) They seem friendly and I did make a post letting them know ive got alot of respect for them; we'll see where it goes from there! Looks like theyve got alot of the same ladies you do; I had never heard of GQ and Noct so its nice to get to see more of them. Also looks like youre running some swami genes, thats awesome; Ill be watching how those turn out for sure!!

I spent a bit more time than I planned online today so now Ive got to play catchup; I need to get the trellises done for my beds because the ladies in them are growing like weeds, hahaha:)

Ill catch you later!

I saw your post over there in MOD and SG1 did acknowledge you. Just hang out and become engaged in the thread. There are some very knowledgeable growers and not all are organic. As you work your way through the journal you'll come across some charts of where the strains came from. Yesterday was discussions of breeding techniques so there is variety in topics over there. But it is mostly showing the plants that are found in the pheno hunt. Wait until you see Neon Purp. I want to grow a plant like that myself.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
I'm popping some more seeds. I'm doing it a little different than last time so I'll share what I'm doing.

Step 1

I put the t-shirt material on the bottom of the container and got it wet.

Step 2

I then put the barley sprouts on top of the t-shirt material and covered that with a second piece of material. I dropped the popped seeds on top of that.

Step 3

Then I just put the lid on it. I did drill holes through the lid to let it breath. I'll see how this works out.

Bad news, it looks like Noctural is not going to make it.

Weyenot

I ventured out on a few threads and made posts when I found something I liked. In all cases I was ignored. So I assumed this forum is bunch of little cliques. So I don't do much posting here. Maybe I already said I'm over on Grass City and LivingOrganicSoil with active journals. I'm just plain Pakalolo over in those forums. Both those forums are much nicer to new posters. So I spend more time there.

If you check out MOD you'll discover that it has some fine shoots of some nice genetics. Introduce yourself with a post.

Who doesn't like 'The Dude'. Even Jeff Bridges likes 'The Dude'. I think is a more realistic stoner character than Jeff Spicoli. Anyway the movie is one of my favorites.

This summer I will be working on my accumulator plants like comfrey. I've got nettles and dandelions growing wild around my property. I'm going to be planting herbs too. I got the seeds from Horizon Herbs. So I'll be using more of those in my nutrient teas. I don't do much foliar spraying to provide nutrients. My spraying are all for IPM. I do use the nutrient teas to feed the micro herd.

I am checking out Freedom 35 journal. I've gotten through the first harvest but that was a couple of years back.

I normally post pictures on the weekend. I probably will post some pictures of my babies during this week. I've got the Noctural but also 2 Mazar x Geurrero, a Goblin Queen and a Cascadian Frost. Not much to see but I'll get a picture of two up.

I'm taking down the Pitbull with the PM issue when I get home today. It has the fattest bud and I only have kept her around to do more learning on controlling PM. I don't want to lose the buds so down she comes.

I might get some bud shots in the next couple of days of Mildred and Trainwreck 2. They are starting to get to the stage I enjoy. I like babies and final stage buds. The in between are just my LITFA mode. It's not very exciting for me. Seen it, done it for almost 40 years. I guess I'm just jaded.

gl

Haha, you got me there for a sec with LITFA; thanks for reminding me I live in the boonies;) I dont get out much so these newfangled acronyms stump me sometimes. Im with you, babies are going through alot of changes and they put on quite a show as they mature and reach a peak of color and smells; I wouldnt be that interested in taking pictures of the LITFA stage either. Speaking of LITFA, it really is that way with organics, once everything is balanced the show pretty much runs itself!

Thats awesome you already have the nettles and dandelions set up; do you have a big nettle patch? They tend to take over , as mine have done. The comfrey likes to take over too; I got some from horizon last summer and theyve more than tripled! The effects these plants have on the soil is almost supernatural; after I applied that nettle tea there was a jump in the number and activity of critters in the soil and the plants just about jumped out of the beds.

The dude is more believable whereas spicoli is the stereotypical stoner; The dude is a chill dude with a zen approach to life and he happens to smoke, where spicoli is the way he is because he smokes; thats my impression at least. BL is definitely one of my favs!!

Its great to see what youve been inspired to take pics of, I look forward to more:)

Weyenot

I saw your post over there in MOD and SG1 did acknowledge you. Just hang out and become engaged in the thread. There are some very knowledgeable growers and not all are organic. As you work your way through the journal you'll come across some charts of where the strains came from. Yesterday was discussions of breeding techniques so there is variety in topics over there. But it is mostly showing the plants that are found in the pheno hunt. Wait until you see Neon Purp. I want to grow a plant like that myself.

gl

I think Im going to like it over there on MOD; they've definitely got alot of knowledge and I like the mix of methods at work, Ive learned things from organic and nonorganic methods. I got a little taste of what theyve got on board as I reached the tenth page and Im super excited to see what else theyve got. I heard them mention the NP and it sounds like a beauty:) I hope you get a copy so we can check out what you do with it!
Im sorry Nocturnal isnt going to make it but on the upside Im sure youve got more options on deck thatll surely make up for the loss!

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
As far as organics being totally LITFA, context is king. If you're thinking about all the soil mixing, tea brewing, the IPM then no it isn't LITFA. If you're talking about already having your soil dialed in, going no-till and doing just plain water. Yes, I've seen journals that showed just that. The harvest was good. So you can work with the organic method as a minimalist or you can squeeze every last ounce that is possible with organics.

With bottled nutrients I was a minimalist. I just had grow juice and bloom juice. I know there are sets of grow and bloom bottles. So I try to keep it somewhere in between.

Until this spring I looked on nettles as a nuisance and weed whacked them down. From now on I'll collect them. The comfrey I have is bocking #14 so it doesn't spread by seeds anyway. I'm not into having a beautiful lawn so I've got lots of dandelions.

I agree on the dichotomy between the two stoners. I'm with you on BL being one funny movie.

If you keep reading the pages of MOD you will see pictures of NP. I've never seen anything like it. It would be a great plant to see during those final flower weeks.

I've been having some problems with seedlings. I'm a cloner grower and I haven't messed with seeds much. The old seeds were the first I popped in many years. I've got lots of bag seeds from who remembers where. So if I lost my clones to spider mites (that's been a problem I hope I've overcome moving to organics) I would pop some seeds.

I lost Noctural to over watering. I haven't done that it a long time. Trying to protect the seedlings from the mice with the storage container acted like a humidity dome. I know lots of growers clone with humidity domes. I watered like I normally would. So being inside the container and with my over watering Noctural went yellow overnight. So I transplanted the other seedlings into 4" pots of my cloning soil. I'll know in the next day or two if they will be okay.

I do have those seeds I'm popping right now. When I checked one of them was ready to plant but I'm going to do all of them tomorrow.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
It was 2 days ago I put the soaked seeds on top of the wet t-shirt on top of the sprouted barley seed. One of the Halo 2X seeds had popped and I let it go until today to plant it. Here is what I saw when I took off the lid.

Halo 2X seeds

The one on the right had popped but it wasn't as far along even as the one on the left. This SST method is working really well. Now if I can perfect the next step and get them to transplant stage.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
Here are my other attempts to grow seeds.

In the lower left corner is my drowned Noctural. The other 4 were in cups like Noctural but I transplanted them into the 4" pots. The one you can't see labeled is another Mazar x Geurrero. The Cascadian Frost looks on the road to recovery. At least the other 3 aren't looking like Noctural. We'll see how it goes in the next few days. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

that happened to my mandala's. The dome was on too long and they began to damp off when i popped the lid off. when they dried the next watering i sprayed them with actinovate, an antifungal bacteria. I got 8/10 total to sprout one of which is a runt. Great looking results with the SST for sprouting cannabis seeds BTw. I will need to give that a try

fyi I found a way to improve seedlings soil. They like seived soil if you have a extra screen you don't mind parting with from the kitchen. I take a fork and use it to rake the soil back and forth a bit, placing the sprout into the furrows the forks make. It's a lot like the little sand zen rake/garden at the doctor's office.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
that happened to my mandala's. The dome was on too long and they began to damp off when i popped the lid off. when they dried the next watering i sprayed them with actinovate, an antifungal bacteria. I got 8/10 total to sprout one of which is a runt. Great looking results with the SST for sprouting cannabis seeds BTw. I will need to give that a try

fyi I found a way to improve seedlings soil. They like seived soil if you have a extra screen you don't mind parting with from the kitchen. I take a fork and use it to rake the soil back and forth a bit, placing the sprout into the furrows the forks make. It's a lot like the little sand zen rake/garden at the doctor's office.

Zen garden sounds about right for the herb. If you're using sieved soil do you put any aeration in it? I'm using peat moss : EWC : pumice in equal amounts for my cloning soil. I use a small nail to make a small hole and drop the seed in with the tap root facing down.

Zen garden sounds about right for the herb. If you're using sieved soil do you put any aeration in it? I'm using peat moss : EWC : pumice in equal amounts for my cloning soil. I use a small nail to make a small hole and drop the seed in with the tap root facing down.

I usually have sand fine's in the soil so i don't worry about extra aeration. the particles screen finely enough that they aggregate with the humates... producing a soil particle that holds more oxygen, hydrogen, minerals etc. than sand would. I am using this basalt rock powder from Oregon. I like the product. I used to have peat based mixes and still have some left. Though I planted the mandalas in a coco/cow compost/perlite mixture with gypsum, lime and basalt to give it that nice "fluff" when the shovel goes in and out of the mix

I also tried the peat from NZ and it works nice. I used to take the organic guru's words quite literally until i wised up a bit. Now I garden in my own mind and can apply the concepts if i feel like it. I will continue working with coconut husk because i believe there's lot's of potential especially it's composted with manures and dynamic accumulators. They will tell you cannot be successful with anything other then peat. The peat though hold's loads of oxygen unless it's waterlogged yet it also clumps together (hence the screen)

peace

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
I usually have sand fine's in the soil so i don't worry about extra aeration. the particles screen finely enough that they aggregate with the humates... producing a soil particle that holds more oxygen, hydrogen, minerals etc. than sand would. I am using this basalt rock powder from Oregon. I like the product. I used to have peat based mixes and still have some left. Though I planted the mandalas in a coco/cow compost/perlite mixture with gypsum, lime and basalt to give it that nice "fluff" when the shovel goes in and out of the mix

I also tried the peat from NZ and it works nice. I used to take the organic guru's words quite literally until i wised up a bit. Now I garden in my own mind and can apply the concepts if i feel like it. I will continue working with coconut husk because i believe there's lot's of potential especially it's composted with manures and dynamic accumulators. They will tell you cannot be successful with anything other then peat. The peat though hold's loads of oxygen unless it's waterlogged yet it also clumps together (hence the screen)

peace

I'm still more of a student in the organic growing and I have read posts about using coconut husks instead of peat moss. I used ProMix for all those years I'm comfortable with it. I'm using Canadian sphagnum peat moss at the moment. I may experiment with coco in the future. Now I'm starting to vary my soil mix. I don't want to get it too complex but I do want variety. I want to be no-till by the end of the year. I've been filling my pots and only packing the bottom portion around the drain holes. I also add about 1/3 of my pumice is a larger size so I have variety with the aeration.

You've given new ways to think about my soil and how it compacts over time.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
I've only got one plant left that has finished 8 weeks and that's OG Kush. She was the first to show problems when the spider mites appeared. I then used a slightly alcoholic lavender tea on her and burnt her leaves. But the mites are all gone or in hiding and no signs of PM. So I'm letting her go. I'll be watching close and decide when to crop her.

OG Kush

Today I started trimming my Trainwreck 1 but I noticed what I'm assuming were PM spores as little clouds fell from the buds. So I tossed the whole plant.

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
Now Mildred and Trainwreck are both doing fine at the end of week 6. No PM and no major spider mite breakouts. The buds are starting to put on a little more weight. Just a few more weeks.

Mildred

I like everything about Mildred. It is the only good thing I ever got from a dispensary.

Mildred from the top

Trainwreck

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
I pollinated both Mildred and Trainwreck with Eminem pollen. So the seeds are beginning to show.

Mildred seed

Another angle of Mildred seed

Trainwreck seed

Another angle of Trainwreck seed

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
My over watered seedlings are still struggling. I have Mazar that is recovered and showing growth. My Cascadian Frost is borderline and so is my Goblin Queen. The other Mazar is looking like it's on its last legs.

I've got a Halo 2X and an Overload poking their heads out of the soil so tomorrow they should be standing tall. It's going to be an anxious 2 weeks for this grower to see if I'm learning to grow from seeds. If I only lose a few in the beginning that is okay. But if I lose more later then I've got to rethink my whole technique. The only variable I'm running with now it the cloning soil mix. If I have to I will buy a bag of ProMix but I'm wanting to move away from ProMix.

Weyenot

As far as organics being totally LITFA, context is king. If you're thinking about all the soil mixing, tea brewing, the IPM then no it isn't LITFA. If you're talking about already having your soil dialed in, going no-till and doing just plain water. Yes, I've seen journals that showed just that. The harvest was good. So you can work with the organic method as a minimalist or you can squeeze every last ounce that is possible with organics.

With bottled nutrients I was a minimalist. I just had grow juice and bloom juice. I know there are sets of grow and bloom bottles. So I try to keep it somewhere in between.

Until this spring I looked on nettles as a nuisance and weed whacked them down. From now on I'll collect them. The comfrey I have is bocking #14 so it doesn't spread by seeds anyway. I'm not into having a beautiful lawn so I've got lots of dandelions.

I agree on the dichotomy between the two stoners. I'm with you on BL being one funny movie.

If you keep reading the pages of MOD you will see pictures of NP. I've never seen anything like it. It would be a great plant to see during those final flower weeks.

I've been having some problems with seedlings. I'm a cloner grower and I haven't messed with seeds much. The old seeds were the first I popped in many years. I've got lots of bag seeds from who remembers where. So if I lost my clones to spider mites (that's been a problem I hope I've overcome moving to organics) I would pop some seeds.

I lost Noctural to over watering. I haven't done that it a long time. Trying to protect the seedlings from the mice with the storage container acted like a humidity dome. I know lots of growers clone with humidity domes. I watered like I normally would. So being inside the container and with my over watering Noctural went yellow overnight. So I transplanted the other seedlings into 4" pots of my cloning soil. I'll know in the next day or two if they will be okay.

I do have those seeds I'm popping right now. When I checked one of them was ready to plant but I'm going to do all of them tomorrow.

You're right, organics can be as simple as mixing up a fully amended soil and using only water, or you can spice it up with SST, ACT, plant extracts and sprays which can make is not so uninvolved for sure! Its a labor of love for me so its not a pain for me to mix up batches of brews or spend hrs inspecting the soil and adding topdressings, I actually get lost in it and people wonder where the I went! Basically like you said its about how far you want to take it and Im one who loves to see the extra sparkle some SST puts on those buds and praying leaves from some aloe juice;)

Since nettles are so prolific when you weedwhack them down you can add them to a brew or put them in your soil or a compost pile, so many awesome uses! The bocking should spread from the rootstock so it should move out of it original spot and give you lots of organic matter to use similarly to the nettles. In my opinion a yard full of dandelions and other wild flowers is much prettier than a boring grassy one and much more useful but thats me; what do you think?

I salute your good taste! Come to think of the dude, Im probably due for a revisit; so much hilarity crammed into one film:)

Those shots of NP are amazing, makes me want to eat it almost! Id be honored to grow something that awesome

It sound like your learning fast and identifying what you need to change next time you sprout; water less for the most part and compensate ( o and keep those dang varmints away from your babies! ) for the dome if you use it again. Id say your next attempt will go much smoother after what you've learned so far, so those babes you've got coming along should do well.

Keep your head up dude!

Weyenot

Here are my other attempts to grow seeds.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50417&pictureid=1199759View Image

In the lower left corner is my drowned Noctural. The other 4 were in cups like Noctural but I transplanted them into the 4" pots. The one you can't see labeled is another Mazar x Geurrero. The Cascadian Frost looks on the road to recovery. At least the other 3 aren't looking like Noctural. We'll see how it goes in the next few days. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Those should pull through, no problem! Its hard to see but Id say even that Nocturnal has a chance

Weyenot

Now Mildred and Trainwreck are both doing fine at the end of week 6. No PM and no major spider mite breakouts. The buds are starting to put on a little more weight. Just a few more weeks.

Mildred
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50417&pictureid=1200086View Image

I like everything about Mildred. It is the only good thing I ever got from a dispensary.

Mildred from the top
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50417&pictureid=1200108View Image

Trainwreck
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=50417&pictureid=1200090View Image

MMMM, looking good Pako! Id keep those too if they were in my garden:) It does look like they are packing on some extra weight, should be a nice haul from both of them

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Pakalolo - Hey, I'm glad your here posting and I'm a follower of yours. Read your exchange with Weyenot about posting here and I'm glad your around. I get plenty of chirp chirp (i.e. silence or no love) on my build thread but that don't matter me none. There are plenty of good chaps and good advice. Frankly I like the posting pace better here than some other sites and that is fine by me.

Organics, coco, vertical whatever... I like following people I like. if that makes any sense.

Last edited: